Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,874 members, 7,810,330 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:12 AM

10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa (26049 Views)

Key Facts About Yellow Fever / Health Wellness Pack For All Types Of Diabetes...you will thank God at last / 10 Early Warning Signs Of Diabetes You Should Not Ignore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Racoon(m): 11:02am On Nov 16, 2023
Diabetes mellitus, popularly called Diabetes, is a metabolic disease that causes high blood sugar. This occurs because your body either doesn’t make enough insulin or can’t effectively use the insulin it makes for the body. Insulin is a hormone that moves sugar from your blood to your cells for energy storage. If it malfunctions, you may have diabetes.

The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates the prevalence of diabetes in Nigeria to be 4.3%, and the prevalence is largely attributed to the lifestyle changes caused by urbanisation and excessive consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks, lack of exercise, tobacco use and harmful use of alcohol.

Every 14th of November is World Diabetes Day (WDD), created in 1991 by IDF and the World Health Organization in response to growing concerns about the escalating health threat of diabetes.

World Diabetes Day became an official United Nations Day in 2006 with the passage of United Nations Resolution 61/225. It is marked on the same day as the birthday of Sir Frederick Banting, who co-discovered insulin along with Charles Best in 1922

-1. There are four types of diabetes:
a. Type-1 Diabetes is an autoimmune disease in which the body doesn’t produce insulin.
b. Type-2 diabetes occurs when the body becomes resistant to insulin.
c. Type 1.5 diabetes, also known as latent autoimmune diabetes (LADA), occurs during adulthood and sets in gradually like type 2 diabetes.
d. Gestational diabetes occurs only in women during pregnancy and goes away after the baby is born.

-2. Over 420 million people in the world have some form of diabetes, with type 2 being the most common. About 90-95% of people with diabetes have type 2.

-3. Diabetes, especially Type 2 diabetes, is a leading cause of death in the world. According to WHO, in 2019, diabetes and kidney disease caused an estimated 2 million deaths globally.

-4. Type 2 diabetes occurs in older people, age 35 and above, while type 1 occurs in young people.

-5. Women who have gestational diabetes are more at risk for Type 2 diabetes after they give birth.

-6. Type 1.5 diabetes, LADA, cannot be treated by diet or lifestyle: Because it is genetic, it may be impossible to prevent the development of this diabetes type. However, medications and insulin injections can make it manageable.

-7. Sugar is not the primary cause of Diabetes: While eating too much sugar may increase your chances of obesity and Type 2 diabetes, it is not the primary cause of diabetes.

-8. A diabetic patient will lose weight rapidly instead of being obese.

-9. Diabetes can be treated and its consequences avoided or delayed: With diet, physical activity, medication, regular screening and treatment for complications, it is possible to live long and healthy with diabetes.

-10. Diabetes, if left untreated, can cause blindness, delay in wound healing, kidney failure, heart attacks, stroke and lower limb amputation.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/10-key-facts-about-diabetes-you-should-know/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1700041789

14 Likes

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Racoon(m): 11:06am On Nov 16, 2023
Let everyone be well educated about how our dietary and social lifestyles can predispose us to having diabetes.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Racoon(m): 11:08am On Nov 16, 2023
-7. Sugar is not the primary cause of Diabetes: While eating too much sugar may increase your chances of obesity and Type 2 diabetes, it is not the primary cause of diabetes.

-8. A diabetic patient will lose weight rapidly instead of being obese.
Let the ignorance be clear once and for all. Thanks Tribune Health input

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by BOSSkesh(m): 12:30pm On Nov 16, 2023
I’ll be in the comment section
Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Mindlog: 12:32pm On Nov 16, 2023
Lifestyle choices are key influencers.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by benuejosh: 12:32pm On Nov 16, 2023
Okay. A lot of people say Lifestyle and diet is the major thing that reverses diabetes. But be ready to loose so much weight in the process.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Ballack1(m): 12:32pm On Nov 16, 2023
Chaii
Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by sylve11: 12:33pm On Nov 16, 2023
Hmmm cool
Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by UgoFly: 12:33pm On Nov 16, 2023
Evil sickness that Killed my dad and mother in-law, killed my best friend's parents and has destroyed his kidney while damaging his eyes. Killed several Uncles and aunties.

This sickness is more deadly than HIV.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Obyangel: 12:33pm On Nov 16, 2023
Very insightful, thanks for sharing. I can consume my Trophy Lager Beer in peace, since suger isn't direct cause.

1 Like

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by shibanbo(m): 12:35pm On Nov 16, 2023
Seriously so scary

2 Likes

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Beverlyjean(f): 12:35pm On Nov 16, 2023
Reason, Mr Ibu had his leg amputated

8 Likes

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by michaellovaldo(m): 12:35pm On Nov 16, 2023
May we not encounter diseases and ailments in Jesus name

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Artiiclebeast: 12:36pm On Nov 16, 2023
As a type-2 manager, this shit ain't easy to deal with. You can now imagine what the managers of the oga kpatakpata of them all (Type 1) have to deal with on a daily.

It ain't funny at all emotionally, physically, and most of all, financially.

We keep pushing, watching our diet, and exercising (the main key).
Just woke up to scan my sensor and we seem to be good...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by ecolime(m): 12:37pm On Nov 16, 2023
Diabetes? cry

I am a survivor. All glory to God.

Artiiclebeast:
As a type-2 manager, this shit ain't easy to deal with. You can now imagine what the managers of the oga kpatakpata of them all (Type 1) have to deal with on a daily.

We keep pushing, watching our diet, and exercising (the main key).
You woke up to over 160mg? Not good at all bro.

Your FBS should be 100 and below. Keep watching it.

10 Likes

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by ATEAMS: 12:40pm On Nov 16, 2023
Interesting
Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by sonofthunder: 12:41pm On Nov 16, 2023
Racoon:

https://tribuneonlineng.com/10-key-facts-about-diabetes-you-should-know/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1700041789

Tour fact number seven is wrong. Sugar and frequent eating are some of the major reasons for diabetics.

The food and pharmacitical giants keep scamming us for profits.

1 Like

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Biola67: 12:42pm On Nov 16, 2023
UgoFly:
Evil sickness that Killed my dad and mother in-law, killed my best friend's parents and has destroyed his kidney while damaging his eyes. Killed several Uncles and aunties.

This sickness is more deadly than HIV.
Haha wetin happen. Omoo it’s serious o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Minoar: 12:42pm On Nov 16, 2023
S

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Chigozie321: 12:43pm On Nov 16, 2023
Diabetes is a deadly disease. Watch your diet guys, exercise and stay hydrated always.

Check Shotumart to purchase Insumed pain-free insulin injections and ACCU glucose test strips at very affordable prices.

https://shotumart.com/products/view/MTUzLTky/insumed-sterile-painfree-insulin-syringe-30g-50iu

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Gboom: 12:44pm On Nov 16, 2023
If sugar is not the main cause, what then is it?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Wealthoptulent(m): 12:47pm On Nov 16, 2023
Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by tubolancer(m): 12:50pm On Nov 16, 2023
Artiiclebeast:
As a type-2 manager, this shit ain't easy to deal with. You can now imagine what the managers of the oga kpatakpata of them all have to deal with on a daily.

We keep pushing, watching our diet, and exercising (the main key). Where can I download it.
Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by AgubataAkokwa: 12:52pm On Nov 16, 2023
One thing must kill a man

2 Likes

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by Artiiclebeast: 12:54pm On Nov 16, 2023
ecolime:
Diabetes? cry

I am a survivor. All glory to God.

You woke up to over 160mg? Not good at all bro.

Your FSB should be 100 and below. Keep watching it.

As at 2 weeks ago, I was battling the 500s...

It is indeed a battle, my brother.

Ketoacidosis almost took me out...

13 Likes

Re: 10 Key Facts About Diabetes You Should Know By precious Sobamiwa by ecolime(m): 12:56pm On Nov 16, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

As at 2 weeks ago, I was battling the 500s...

It is indeed a battle, my brother.
500s down to 160s in 2 weeks is fantastic. You are doing well then.

Were you diagnosed 2 weeks ago? I assume you had DKA then?

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abuja Hospital Abandons Accident Victim For Hours Over Inability To Pay N3,500 / International Condom Day 2020: 3 In 10 Nigerians Use Condom Regularly / Tanzania’s Conjoined Twins, Handicapped Heroes, Die At 21

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.