Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,433 members, 7,830,179 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa (892 Views)

Buhari Prevented From Meeting Pope Francis After Late Arrival / U.S. Excludes Nigeria From Africa’s Democracy Summit / Inec Releases Names Of Candidates For Bayelsa Guber Election, Excludes Pdp? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by Bankole01(m): 3:26pm On Sep 14, 2007
WHEN the United Nations (UN) Secretary General Ban Ki-moon today inaugurates a steering group on efforts towards curbing poverty, diseases and illiteracy in Africa by 2015, there will be a loud silence from what may be the most important stakeholder: The continent's government leaders.

In a curious decision, the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) Africa Steering Group will be launched this morning at the world body's headquarters, without the presence of the continent's Heads of States or their representatives.

From Laolu Akande, New York www.GuardianNews Online

COMMENT:

Many might be unhappy with this turn of events, but not I. Many a time, the UN and many foreign donors have given money to African leaders, without any of it trickling down to the people.
These foreign donors are tired of the inefficiencies and wanton greed of African leaders who have proven not only to be inept, but criminal looters of the countries treasuries.
Putting all sentiments aside, we have to start lokking critically at the way our leaders have failed us and given us a bad name nationally. The world have come to regard Africans as a people who are unable to mange our affairs and therefore, need held to carry out simply acts of benevolence to our people.
In fear of being tagged as unpatriotic, I have to concur that many a time we he proven them right.
What do you think? Please use common sense when replying!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by Afam(m): 3:40pm On Sep 14, 2007
You don't take decisions on what happens in other peoples homes when the heads of the families are excluded from discussions that have to do with the families.

It is insulting and won't make any sense in reality.

Can the UN implement anything in any African country without the leaders agreeing to it? I don't think so.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by Bankole01(m): 4:22pm On Sep 14, 2007
Afam:

You don't take decisions on what happens in other peoples homes when the heads of the families are excluded from discussions that have to do with the families.

It is insulting and won't make any sense in reality.

Can the UN implement anything in any African country without the leaders agreeing to it? I don't think so.

A man house is his castle. A country is not one man's castle and our purported leaders need to become conversant with these. These rouges have sought to make their countries treasuries their private properties. The dicision to make donations is not about African leaders, but about the people who lack simple necesities to make life liveable.
The foreign donors see how their goodwill gifts have been looted, and therefore made a consciuos decision to bypass the crooked leaders and direct their gifts to the people targeted in the first place. I whole heartedly concur.

There are other outfits like the Redcross and crdible NGOs in Africa, through whom the UN can distribute the donations.
If the African leaders refuse to allow any goodwill into their countries, simply because thay were not allowed to dip their filthy corrupt fingers into the tills, they will be showcasing their inept and shortsighted intelligence.

These donations were not ment to further enrich them but to alleviate the suffering of the neglected masses. So tell me, who looses?
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 14, 2007
Even apart from their occasional stealing of aid money (not all African treasuries are that lean, actually) African leaders have proved themselves as an irresponsible and incredibly selfish lot. Rwanda, Congo-Kinshasa, and more recently Zimbabwe and Darfur are eternal testaments to their criminal lack of initiative. They are a bunch of semi-literate crooks. Imagine Thabo Mbeki encouraging south african HIV/AIDS victims to be eating garlic or some such harebrained therapy.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by Bankole01(m): 6:12pm On Sep 14, 2007
IN the name of patriotic fervor, we neglect to tell the truth about our irresponsible brothers, who not only give us a bad name, but run down our nations. Anything they can get their greedy hands on, they loot into the ground.
Aid in terms of food, end in the stores of the leaders wives and girlfriends. Money end up in their private and foreign bank accounts. The donor countries see these and are sick and tired of these unconscionable acts of these greedy crooks.
They decised to take the aids directly to the people and bypassed the inept leaders in their planning.

Afam might be ominously right in his prediction that: These greedy and stupidly criminal tin leaders might decide to selfishly refuse to allow any aid come to their countries, BECAUSE this the limit and level of their collective intelligence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by Afam(m): 6:56pm On Sep 14, 2007
@Bankole01,

What they are doing will fail because it is not the right thing to do, simple.

Do we really need aid? As far as Nigeria is concerned we don't need aid and I am shocked that you are allowing these people to effectively divert your attention to the real issues when issues like fair trade and equal opportunity should be at the front burner.

Is Bush a responsible president? Can other countries discuss how to better the lives of Americans without him being in the know? C'mon, gimme a break.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 14, 2007
@ Afam

the issue of fair trade can be readily tackled if we as Africans put the right economic policies in place. We can hardly blame the West for that.

Equal Opportunity, well, dont quite know how that fits into a global, capitalist economy. Lets not blame all our woes on the West, especially now that they have realised that by altruistically helping us in certain selected spheres, they are also helping themselves.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by Afam(m): 7:42pm On Sep 14, 2007
On fair trade, the West have policies in place to promote and protect their own from foreign competition while doing all they can to get resources for free if possible.

I do not believe the West is responsible for all our problems as that would be a stupid position to take, however moves being anchored by the West to further ridicule Africans should be resisted.

I believe Nigeria and indeed Africa will wake up once we have selfless, dedicated and sincere leaders, only then can the activities of the West (those that are detrimental anyway) be curtailed if not totally done with.

Global capitalist economy? I don't even believe in al these ideologies that are created to protect certain interests.

All human beings should be given equal opportunity to survive and compete even though it will be an almost impossible task.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by Bankole01(m): 8:25pm On Sep 14, 2007
Afam:

On fair trade, the West have policies in place to promote and protect their own from foreign competition while doing all they can to get resources for free if possible.

This issue is not about trade, fair or not. If we have to talk about trade, the African leaders do not encourage fair trade because of their greedy motives ti corner the revenue as opposed to making revenue for their countries.
Therefore, the encourage the Western traders to cheat the exporters out of a fair deal.

Afam:

I believe Nigeria and indeed Africa will wake up once we have selfless, dedicated and sincere leaders, only then can the activities of the West (those that are detrimental anyway) be curtailed if not totally done with.

Now you are talking. This exactly is the crux of my argument. That our leaders did not earn respect with selfless acts.

Nigeria makes more foreign revenue from oil than most Western nations. How much of this is realy accruing to the coffers of the nation. How much are we loosing to bunkering or outright pilfering?
Nigeria needs no aid from anyone, but the way our affairs have and are being managed, our people do not receive the necessary help from the country's leaders. Our people are in dire need of aid and these leaves room for foreign aid.

Also, there are certain comodities that our nation and other African nations lack. There if our people need the commodities (like Aids medication) the only option is foreign aid.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by denex: 6:14pm On Sep 15, 2007
Berlin Conference version 2007.09
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by NINETOFIVE(m): 7:26pm On Sep 15, 2007
[b]Am so disappointed that people I thought should know better, do really think we need foreign aid, talk from now till tomorrow if we did not get to the bottom of the cause of corruption in Africa which is the fact that people are more loyal to their regions, is never going to stop full stop. If people are more loyal to their regions , then make the regions autonomous, is not quantum physics that people would be more determined in making their regions better, at this junction Obafemi Awolowo comes to mind, he was a hero to his people, he believed in his region, when Obasanjo was the president, he made sure that the control of Nigeria petroleum were in the hands of his tribesmen. What governor Ngige did in Anambra state within two years, he wouldn't have done for the whole of Nigeria, Ojukwu spent his fathers money to fight for his region, do we smell anti corruption? The average Nigerian liberal is an idiot, Nnamdi Azikiwe was a liberal and a believer in one federal Nigeria and he was a waste to his people, what we need to do is learn how to do things by ourselves, how do you do that? claim your education by studying in your local dialect. follow the examples laid down by the Chinese, stop being morons by being eloquent about foreign Aid. Is there any continent that developed on foreign aid? I guess NON.[/b]
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by Bankole01(m): 7:37pm On Sep 15, 2007
@9 2 5

Do you feel much better now?
You will need to grow up and learn how to write your opinion without resorting to abuse or insulting someoneelse for his/her opinion.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by NINETOFIVE(m): 7:47pm On Sep 15, 2007
Bankole01:

@9 2 5

Do you feel much better now?
You will need to grow up and learn how to write your opinion without resorting to abuse or insulting someoneelse for his/her opinion.

Sorry if that is how my outburst came across, I wasn't really trying to insult, I was just surprised that people I was sure as hell should know better are equally buying into this foreign Aid thing, sorry if you feel offended but look at the logic of my argument, then you would know where am coming from.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by Bankole01(m): 8:38pm On Sep 15, 2007
I understand your argument. It was a good ieda, when we had autonomous regions geared towards development at their own pace. Things have changed for the worse and this is part of my argument.

If our so-called leaders had manged the affairs of State well, we have enough to feed, clothe and educate every Nigerian, tax-free like in Saudi Arabia.
The present crop of mega thieves now parading as leaders have made things worse and the situation is worsenniing daily.

Apart from aid of medices which we do not produce, Nigeria does not need finacial aid, as it contributes to the corruption in the land.

My main argument is not in favor of aid but to showcase the abuse of African leaders. This has made them and us to loose face and respect in the Western and among other nation leaders.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by denex: 9:42pm On Sep 15, 2007
They are planning the commencement of the second colonization, you people are discussing corruption. Carry on.

Our second colonization is not mean to be due till 2050, but due to the rapid rise of China and its incursion into Africa, the re-colonization programme has been shifted to an earlier date.

Carry on debating corruption. The bad name that has been given to you so that you can finally be hanged.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by NINETOFIVE(m): 9:47pm On Sep 15, 2007
Bankole01:

I understand your argument. It was a good ieda, when we had autonomous regions geared towards development at their own pace. Things have changed for the worse and this is part of my argument.

Please you sound very vague here, I can't really understand what you are saying. When we were practising regional system things were ok, The military prefered the federal system because is easier for peasant leaders to run such system which encourages corruption, is very obvious that a right winger like Obafemi Awolowo by his actions does not believe in federalism. He never knew how lucky he was not to have ruled Nigeria, because in the National level his ethnocentric nature would have encouraged more corruption, he would have concentrated more on his people and corruption would have blossomed, believe me any leader would fail in the current system we have in place. forget about rhetoric's.  

If our so-called leaders had manged the affairs of State well, we have enough to feed, clothe and educate every Nigerian, tax-free like in Saudi Arabia.
The present crop of mega thieves now parading as leaders have made things worse and the situation is worsenniing daily.

How can a leader manage a system he does not believe in? he would more like try to reap it off, I insighted an example of Ojukwu using his fathers money to fight for his region, would he have used his fathers money to defend Nigeria, NOT.  would Awolowo have given free Education to the whole of Nigeria? NOT.

Apart from aid of medices which we do not produce, Nigeria does not need finacial aid, as it contributes to the corruption in the land.

I would rather think we should create a situation that would encourage the manufacturing of drugs in Nigeria instead of a quick fix thing like aid that would eventually leave us needing more aid tomorrow.

My main argument is not in favor of aid but to showcase the abuse of African leaders. This has made them and us to loose face and respect in the Western and among other nation leaders.

showcasing their abuses would not solve the problems, but altering and improving the settings that created bad leaders would solve the problem, believe me my brother no matter how eloquent you are, you are a potential bad leader with the current system we have in place.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by bluesky4(f): 10:02pm On Sep 15, 2007
The thing is, Africa needs the help of the west. Whether Nigeirans will like to admit it or not, but the the billions of dollars aid they give every year, the charities such the red cross, oxfam, which give a large proportion of their donations to Africa. And the crisis that Africa is in today, with HIV, poverty, malaria, they need the west to help with these medical advances.

However, if only the rulers of these African nations, would think of their country and not their pocket, they would realise that the west need Africa aswell. With the oil, diamond, cocoa, and beautiful nature that Africa possesses, if they used theyre brain, they can realise that poverty and Africa CAN end.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by denex: 10:07pm On Sep 15, 2007
Sheer ignorance. My people WILL perish for lack of knowledge.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by bluesky4(f): 10:12pm On Sep 15, 2007
denex:

Sheer ignorance. My people WILL perish for lack of knowledge.

Can you explain what you mean?
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by denex: 10:27pm On Sep 15, 2007
Therefore will I henceforth speak to the people much in parables to the end that our friends and those who desire to know the truth may find that which they seek, while our enemies and those who love not the truth may hear without understanding.

-Yashua ha Maschiach.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by vigasimple(m): 12:05am On Sep 16, 2007
Africa needs aid of some sort, financial and technical.

And I accept that it may be another way of looking at the solution to an endemic problem of leadership corruption in Africa is to exclude the leaders and find a way to channel funds directly to 'needy causes'.

Fair trade is another matter which is a worldwide thing between the West and Africa/Asia.

Until Our leaders start to be responsible I think the UN and other donors etc should find a way to bypass them as they are the main cause of poverty in Africa.

If they manage our resources very well and stop 'raping' their own people and their resources then we propably wouldn't be where we are today.

I hope the UN find a good formula that will allow aids and assistance to get to the ordinary people.

An example why they should find a good formula is the Multivitamin or Vitamin A or B drug that UN in association with Canadian govt sent to Nigeria for children and nursing mothers which thieves through our 'leaders' looted and start to sell at dubious chemist/pharmacies.

If any country don't want the assistance good luck as they should give the monies to others that will accept it.

The world has to send a message to African leaders and the ordinary people that the UN will not aid and abet any corrupt African leaders.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by Bankole01(m): 1:59pm On Sep 16, 2007
vigasimple:

Africa needs aid of some sort, financial and technical.

And I accept that it may be another way of looking at the solution to an endemic problem of leadership corruption in Africa is to exclude the leaders and find a way to channel funds directly to 'needy causes'.

Until Our leaders start to be responsible I think the UN and other donors etc should find a way to bypass them as they are the main cause of poverty in Africa.

If they manage our resources very well and stop 'raping' their own people and their resources then we propably wouldn't be where we are today.

I hope the UN find a good formula that will allow aids and assistance to get to the ordinary people.

The world has to send a message to African leaders and the ordinary people that the UN will not aid and abet any corrupt African leaders.

To some, when you speak the truth about the despoilers of Africa (namely bad leadership), you are being unpatriotic and buying into the Western propaganda. Whether we admit it of not, it is easier to see anothers fault than your own.
For this obvious trait only, we have become a spectacle ofridicle and derision to the world. They see that we have ample resources and wealth, but because of bad mangement and out thievery, our resources are being wasted.

Of the nmumerous aids,monetary and other sent in goodfaith to Africa, a good majority end up in private pockets of privileged people.
For this reason only, they have decided to boycott and bypass the leaders as to what they intend to do with their aid to us. They can with the help of the leaders, set up agencies which will help chanel the aid directly to where the needs are greatest.

Some say it is another form of colonization! Maybe; maybe not. As much as we cannot rule out adventurism and imbalance in fair trade, most developed nations appropriate a part of their budget for pure humanitarian work. The know they have to reach to the hurting world in good gesture. Not only to garner a good name, but also because they realise how small the global world is becoming.

A disease in Africa in today will take less than two days to infect the rest of the world. For this reason, it is to their advantage to thry to eradicate this impending danger to their national health than to leave it the hands of people who have proven to be nonn-caring and outright thieves of their peoples' legacies and civil rights.

If African leaders have any self respect and any modicum of shame, the will get the message loud and clear, the UN and the developed world are tired of their shenanigans and will no longer put up with this. They can take this message and change their way of doing things or they can remain intrangescence, and let things continue to decay and demoralize their people.

@9 2 5

Thank you for your compliment. It remains however to see if I will be a good leader or a bad one. With the help of God and prayers, through the shear will of aspiring to be good, I know I will be a good leader when the time and opportunity arise.

Stay blessed! (To borrow good words from Afam)
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by denex: 2:37pm On Sep 16, 2007
Africa does not need aid and has never gotten any aid from anybody.

This year, USAID is giving $30 billion to Africa. Or at least is claiming to do so. But where does the money go? They say there are corrupt leaders, but USAID doesn't give money to leaders. They execute projects on their own.

So what do they do with the $30 billion? We see their USAID jeeps driving around town, but doing what exactly? They put up some billboards to show their presence and once in a while they advertise themselves on Radio and TV. Next thing you know $30 billion is gone.

They publicise one seminar as if it is heaven and earth, but when you get there, it is hardly different from a village elders gathering. And what new thing do they teach in this seminar?

Then there is the case of help in fighting HIV through awareness. Awareness of forcing our governments to buy very expensive anti-retrovirals from their countries rather than allowing us get the 100 times cheaper versions from India.

These countries are just aiding themselves to siphon money from their country using Africa's name.

Shey this year it's $30 billion from the USA alone? I dare anybody to show me anything that would be done in their community with this gargantuan sum of money.

Aid my butt. All they ever gave us was AIDS.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by presido1: 4:51pm On Sep 16, 2007
vigasimple:

Please give us names of afro leaders that are corrupt. Let see how your list will look like.

Every problem we have in africa today is as a result of corrupt leaders we have had, if we can invest in research beleive me we need little from the west. What can we not do in nigeria today if our leaders are sincere to us. I know a guy from my village who leaves in france that come to nigeria every now and then to collect herbs for all these drugs we import. If Biafra can build an air strip(ULI) in time of war i do not think Nigeria of today need foriegn contractor for our airports. Somebody in Nigeria has developed a car with all component made in Nigeria, with support from the Govt nigeria could have been a car manufacturer today like Malaysia,India and other non western nations. We have potentials in Africa but our leaders will not let us show case cos they want to subdue us and rule for ever. You do not expect the west to help you cos they will like to see more backward africa than our present situation today so that they will have more leeway in sapping us the more.

If UN excludes Afro leader from such a meeting i will not blame them but then do they have good intention for africa? I think NO.
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by denex: 7:25pm On Sep 16, 2007
Our Leaders are corrupt, Our Leaders are corrupt. You people keep falling for that same slogan. The CIA is arming MEND in the Niger-Delta and our leaders are corrupt. The UN is taking steps to ensure that no African country utilizes safe, efficient and reliable nuclear energy and we're here saying our leaders are corrupt. Magaseth Thatcher's son was caught in Africa trying to effect a Military Coup and some people are here shouting our leaders are corrupt.
$12 billion dollars hard physical cash (not wire transfer) disappeared under Bush Administration and we're here singing our leaders are corrupt.

Reciting that old poem that the West wrote for us to justify various means by which they truncate our future.

Our Leaders are corrupt. Vice President of the USA, Dick Cheney's company recieved a contract of $4 billion which actually cost less than $70 million to execute and we're saying our leaders are corrupt.

Leaders of Britain, France and the USA are constantly machinating various means to perpetuate war in Nigeria so that they can completely discredit Africa, sell weapons and buy oil cheaply and people are here saying our leaders are bad.

All the African leaders that the West discredit and claim are stealing billions of dollars from their countries, when they die and we ask the west to account for this money, it begins to dwindle from $6 billion to $60 million, and finally we don't even hear anything at all.

Till we decide to grow and realise that all the tricks the "whiteman" is using on us today, we taught them everything, then our second slavery/colonization is not only inevitable, it is imminent!
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by NINETOFIVE(m): 8:38pm On Sep 16, 2007
[b]It seems that most of us are very convenient with this so called status of perpetual myrmidon. people are always talking about managing our resources, managing our resources, what about creativity, when you talk of managing our resources am sure as hell you mean selling our resources, what about using our resources to create things, I guess most of our leaders are equally not into creative thinking like a lot here, like somebody said, if we know the value of research and invest in some, we would not need anything from the west, I know what I ve been able to single handedly create technologically, I would rather be talking about a revolution here than talking about some stupid foreign aid.

The people you people think are so crazy about giving you aid and pulling you out of your doldrums, sees you as a fun thing, the UN just recently opened a museum probably in the UK where they showcased many pictures of Suffering Africa faces, for people to come around and see {is on the EURO news}, under the pretext that they want to create awareness on the degree of problems in Africa, what a very interesting way of chilling out, only people with big brain would understand what is actually going on. A light hearted person would buy into the rhetoric's they would have used in supporting such action, how they were allowed to take such photographs? I don't know. The Chinese or the Indians wouldn't have allowed their people to be presented in such manner {nothing short of savages}, but what do you expect, an Africa Dumbo would think they are taking those pictures because they are trying to help, people are truly naive.

[/b]
Re: Un Excludes African Leaders From Meeting On Africa by denex: 9:01pm On Sep 16, 2007
This is the world we see ourselves in today.

We heard of deaths of several thousand people on 9/11 yet not a single dismembered body was shown on CNN. Not one roasted body did we see. There was no display of missing arms and legs so that their people will not be totally demoralised and the world will not see them at their worst.

In Africa, it is exactly those kinds of images they will ask photo-journalist to capture and our stupid journalist here will be capturing roasted and disgustingly bloated bodies with glee, under the misconception that they are painting a true picture.

Africa has been given a bad name for a long time now and the only reason for giving a dog a bad name is in order to hang it.

They have given Africa a bad name and even Africans are now helping carry on the bad name. I hope when it comes to the point of getting hanged, we will help too to hang ourselves.

(1) (Reply)

Let Us Have Fresh Elections In 2009 / My Son Was Killed - Dead Edo Commissioner's Father. / List Of Ministers And Other Political Appointies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.