Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,664 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns (10754 Views)

Anna Makanju: Nigerian Working At OpenAI (Photos) / 550 OpenAI Employees Ask Board To Quit Or They'll Resign. / Microsoft Hires Sam Altman And Greg Brockman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by nlfpmod: 11:53am On Nov 18, 2023
After learning today’s news, this is the message I sent to the OpenAI team:

hi everyone,

I'm super proud of what we've all built together since starting in my apartment 8 years ago. we've been through tough & great times together, accomplishing so much despite all the reasons it should have been impossible.

but based on today's news, i quit.
genuinely wishing you all nothing but the best. i continue to believe in the mission of creating safe AGI that benefits all of humanity.
Greg Brockman, President & Co-Founder At OpenAI

Greg Brockman quits OpenAI after abrupt firing of Sam Altman

OpenAI co-founder and president Greg Brockman has quit the firm, he said Friday, hours after the Microsoft-backed giant abruptly fired its chief executive Sam Altman and assured that Brockman would remain at the startup. Brockman’s sudden departure adds to the day’s uncertainties at OpenAI, following closely on the heels of its maiden developer conference led by Altman.

Brockman said in a series of tweets that Ilya Sutskever, the chief scientist at OpenAI, informed Altman about a Friday noon call on Thursday evening. On the call, Sutskever and the rest of the OpenAI board members told Altman that he had been fired.

“As far as we know, the management team was made aware of this shortly after, other than Mira who found out the night prior,” Brockman wrote. Mira Murati, the CTO of OpenAI, has been appointed as interim CEO of OpenAI, the startup said today.

OpenAI earlier said that Brockman was stepping down as chairman of the board, but will remain at the firm. Brockman, who co-founded OpenAI with Altman, is a close confidant of the former OpenAI chief executive. He said Friday that the board wanted him to continue, but he had chosen to resign and was saddened by the board’s direction.

OpenAI and Microsoft, which is not on the board of the startup but owns roughly half of the company, remain tightlipped about what led to the ouster of Altman from the startup, whose large language model kickstarted / supercharged the AI race.

The pair’s exit has sent shockwaves through Silicon Valley. Altman has been the public face of the startup, which not only is widely estimated to be leading the current AI race but has in less than a year also assumed the position of kingmaker for countless other startups that are building atop of OpenAI’s offerings.

“I’m super proud of what we’ve all built together since starting in my apartment 8 years ago. We’ve ben through tough & great times together, accomplishing so much despite all the reasons it should have been impossible,” wrote Brockman in a message to OpenAI team. “But based on today’s news, I quit. Genuinely wishing you all nothing but the best. I continue to believe in the mission of creating safe AGI that benefits all of humanity.”

Earlier on Friday, OpenAI said Altman had left the firm after losing the confidence of the board. OpenAI said Altman was leaving the firm after a “deliberative review process” by the board” concluded that he was “not consistently candid in his communications” with the board, which hindered “its ability to exercise its responsibilities.”

The announcement comes less than two weeks after OpenAI held its maiden developer conference, where Altman shared that ChatGPT had amassed 100 million users. Microsoft chief Satya Nadella, who was a chief guest at the conference, said “we love you guys.” In a later interview with FT, Altman said he expected to raise “a lot more” from Microsoft and other investors in the future.

“We have a long-term agreement with OpenAI with full access to everything we need to deliver on our innovation agenda and an exciting product roadmap; and remain committed to our partnership, and to Mira and the team. Together, we will continue to deliver the meaningful benefits of this technology to the world,” Nadella said in a statement Friday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2023/11/17/greg-brockman-quits-openai-after-abrupt-firing-of-sam-altman/amp/

3 Likes

Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by FreeStuffsNG: 11:58am On Nov 18, 2023
Hmmm.

We don't even know the full details yet, hopefully he will not be another 'Bank-Friedman' who the regulators may pick up soon to answer for serious breaches. The only thing I sense now is that it's becoming another flop like metaverse, Twitter with all hype but no money but heavy record making losses to the investors.

A very good product doesn't need the kind of relentless hype being given to AI. I am not AI-skeptic but I will not be surprised if it's ultimately a commercial failure (commercial failure is not same as utility failure wink ). Till we get the details, here's wishing him a great future.Check my signature for free stuffs!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by MorataFC: 11:59am On Nov 18, 2023
Hmm
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by JustPowerApps(m): 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
cheesy WIll that give us GPT4 free trail? If it will, then it is a good thing he resigned wink

3 Likes

Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by Siberia01(m): 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
undecided

I wish we could be having such innovations down here...
The white race are really trying

cry

We practice conference tech no doubt in Nigeria....

Conference upon conferences

No results

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by JASONjnr(m): 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
Just registered with them.... Abeg oh.
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by Lorayne(m): 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
All expandable
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by voltron14: 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
Too much money would be worrying this one.
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by turmacs(f): 12:01pm On Nov 18, 2023
grin
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by Babtunz: 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2023
Now, Sam and Greg might go on to build another company that will oust OpenAI in the AI game.

The loss is on OpenAI here.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by DARLINGTON869(m): 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2023
Du
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by Waterlilly: 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2023
mean while am struggling with docker here
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by Appletek: 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2023
Babtunz:
Now Sam and Greg will go on to build another company that will oust OpenAI in the AI game.

Not possible. The terms of acquisition by Microsoft will prevent them from building a competing product or working for a competing business.

4 Likes

Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by TechCapon(m): 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2023
grin

This is the pattern. Zuckerberg did it with WhatsApp, Instagram and Oculus. Microsoft will soon take full ownership of the company after ousting it's co-founders. It's the same pattern.

16 Likes

Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by ROYALMAXCLEANER: 12:04pm On Nov 18, 2023
cool
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by BXNX: 12:04pm On Nov 18, 2023
there must be a reason to this
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by mactoni91(m): 12:06pm On Nov 18, 2023
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by Matrix137(m): 12:06pm On Nov 18, 2023
AI is fast becoming a menace

Elon Musk was right after all sad

1 Like

Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by Babtunz: 12:07pm On Nov 18, 2023
Appletek:

Not possible. The terms of acquisition by Microsoft will prevent them from building a competing product or working for a competing business.

Even if they don't build another AI company themselves, they can still work as contractors or advisors for other Microsoft rivals.

In either case, their experience is all that matters.

3 Likes

Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by Vifx: 12:07pm On Nov 18, 2023
Removed or resigned?
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by SALLYBERRY01(m): 12:08pm On Nov 18, 2023
Ok
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by RepoMan007: 12:11pm On Nov 18, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Hmmm.

We don't even know the full details yet, hopefully he will not be another Bank-Friedman who the regulators may pick up soon to answer for serious breaches. The only thing I sense now is that it's becoming another flop like metaverse, Twitter with all hype but no money but heavy record making losses to the investors.

A very good product doesn't need the kind of relentless hype being given to AI. I am not AI-skeptic but I will not be surprised if it's ultimately a commercial failure. Check my signature for free stuffs!
this is beyond your capacity sir.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by BigBlackPreek(m): 12:12pm On Nov 18, 2023
Na money go surely cause this breakup
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by Fearyourcreator: 12:13pm On Nov 18, 2023
JustPowerApps:
cheesy WIll that give us GPT4 free trail? If it will, then it is a good thing he resigned wink
Nigerians and destruction... greed ... Omo nawa ooo

1 Like

Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by atobs4real(m): 12:14pm On Nov 18, 2023
Good luck to you.
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by Franzinni: 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2023
The age is upon us
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by atobs4real(m): 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2023
Good luck to you.
Your decision to quit...... So hard
Re: OpenAI Co-Founder, Greg Brockman, Resigns by KingOfAmebo(m): 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2023
nlfpmod:

Greg Brockman, President & Co-Founder At OpenAI

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2023/11/17/greg-brockman-quits-openai-after-abrupt-firing-of-sam-altman/amp/

This is what happens when the big cooperations (Microsoft) back startups, the big sharks always swallow the small fishes after acquiring them...the business world is not for the faint hearted.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria's 'Brown Envelope' Journalism / 5 Tell Signs That Scream “You Need A New Job.” / Share Your Experience As A Studio Camera Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.