Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,825 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

How To Track Your Lost Phone + Tips To Protect Your media Devices. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Track Your Lost Phone + Tips To Protect Your media Devices. (136 Views)

Dm Or Call Ace_koncept On 09021681965 For All Your Media And Graphics Jobs / How To Track Your Lost Or Stolen Adriod Phones / How To Find The Best Managed Forex Accounts - Watch And Track Your Progress Onli (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Track Your Lost Phone + Tips To Protect Your media Devices. by nairaland2: 10:08am On Nov 22, 2023
I lost my Phone a few days ago and recovered it back after a few days of tracking.

This has made motivated me to put down this post hoping this helps someone in a way or two.

Device Recovery and Protection Tips.

If you want to retrieve your device back after you lost it, Setting up security measures to safeguard your device while it's still with you very is essential, by and the best time to safeguard It is right from the hour you purchase it.

From the minute you purchase that device, bear in mind there is a possibility of losing it at any given time (under various circumstances) no matter how careful you are.

Ask yourself, "What steps would a thief take after stealing my phone, and what can I do to prevent or recover it?"

To catch a thief, you have adopt their mindset and think like one; you have to see things from their point of view. -IAJ 2023.

Here’s a list of steps a thief would likely take once they steal/pick your phone and counter procedures to follow:

1. Sim Card Replacement.

Safeguard Procedure: Activate or Install a security application with sim-swap alert configuration. (Once your sim card replaced, you would be emailed or notified with the new sim number inserted into the phone.
Recommended App: Sim toolKit, Sim Manager, Kaspesky Security.

There is a sim change alert setting on some android phones like Samsung etc. Search for it and activate it.

To safeguard your sim from been used for fraudulent activities, set up a sim card password. That way your sim card is useless to anyone without the sim password.

2. Manual or hand flash.

When a thief comes across a password on the stolen device, what comes to mind is flashing (erasing all information on the device, including the password).

This is usually carried out when the device is turned off, press the power button and the volume down key simultaneously to enter recovery menu, recovery menu provides access to recovery mode, which allows the phone to be unlocked and data erased.

Safeguard Procedures:

1. Have a phone engineer disable the down button key manually or you disable the volume key ext/file via FTP, these process requires accessing the phone core files, cut volumeDwn.ext/file, and save in your google drive or mail draft, close FTP and reboot. (Unless you are an android developer, DO NOT temper with any other file else you may end up crashing your phone).

2. Automatic Flash.
This process requires a computer and a flash tool. You may never find your phone again once this process has been carried out.

Disabling USB Debugging prevents your phone from making a computer connection. A phone that is unable to establish a connection with a computer cannot be automatically flashed.

HOW TO ACCESS USB DEBUG MODE:

Go to setting, about phone, Tap repeatedly on “BUILD NUMBER” until you unlock “Developer Mode”, Scroll through to USB Debug and turn it off. Remember to turn it on if you need to connect your phone to a computer and turn it back off once done.

The above procedures would keep your phone intact until you track it.

HOW TO TRACK YOUR PHONE

If you followed the previous instructions before losing your phone, proceed with the steps listed below, if not, proceed with the alternative options.

Track Location:

For Android users.
On a browser, go to android.com/find. Sign in to your Google Account. If you have more than one device: At the top of the sidebar, select the lost device. If your lost device has more than one user profile: Sign in with a Google Account that's on the main or personal profile. The lost device gets a notification. On the map, you'll get info about where the device is.

For iPhone users:
Use the "Find My app".

Using reliable security apps to set up additional security measures can have benefits like sending written commands to the pilfered phone, remotely wiping off the device, sounding an extremely loud alarm, and receiving an image screenshot of the person attempting to unlock your phone (Intruder Selfie)— extremely important feature.

The intruder selfie was a major tool in getting my lost phone back, I was able to get this intruder screenshots any arrests were made that lead to device recovery.

Alternative tracking methods include paying to track the location of your SIM card by going to your network provider's office.

Or Visit a police State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (state CID), they have tech savvy guys that can help on a highly paid basis.

You would be asked to provide the IMEI of the phone. Remember: Make sure you have the phone's receipt else the police may end up becoming your friend.

You would not be taught this procedures in school.

I hope this helps.
Re: How To Track Your Lost Phone + Tips To Protect Your media Devices. by Succezcard(m): 8:57am On Dec 17, 2023
Thanks for these tips. They go a long way. Thanks so much.

1 Like

Re: How To Track Your Lost Phone + Tips To Protect Your media Devices. by nairaland2: 10:40am On Dec 17, 2023
Succezcard:
Thanks for these tips. They go a long way. Thanks so much.

You are welcome man.

(1) (Reply)

Why Don't We Have A "Block" feature Here On Nairaland! / Lagos Man Catches Wife On Bed With Another Man Days To Christmas [+18 VIDEO] / Nigeria Vs South Africa: Live AFCON 2023 Result, Match Stream And Latest Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.