Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,822 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! (12906 Views)

/ Don't Drive Range Rovers And Mercedes Benz And Still Pay Rent. Own Your House. / Road Built Around House In China After Owners Refuse To Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by Revolva(m): 10:58pm On Oct 29, 2011
Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent!

You know you are [b]ghetto , [/b]when you gat the landlord money and the land lord keep knocking on ya door, he never gets the rent money grin grin grin
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by gascoign1(m): 11:03pm On Oct 29, 2011
He dey enjoy Goodluck Jonathan ''fresh Air''
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by WebSurfer(m): 11:53pm On Oct 29, 2011
nice oneeee
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by bloggz: 12:48am On Oct 30, 2011
I think Zaynee is right partly, first all you need to de brief ur lawyer you dont av all the time in the world to get ur tenants out, also no efficient lawyer waits for 6 months notice any longer, therez a supreme court judgement which makes such notice unnecessary (wiv terms and conditions tho) so all he has to do is issue 7 days quit notice and file for recovery in a court wiv jurisdiction, they dont av a defence so dey wont show up(and if they do the better for you) once you get judgement u quickly proceed to enforce! u get court officials,police and soldiers to pack deir stuffs out!! 0ne month max you are done with dem
or if u want to do jankara  shocked, you get padlock and lock them up inside the house, they will be forced to report to the police station there u slug it out with dem @ the police station and make dem enter an undertaken to leave as soon as possible, tried both b4 and it worked wink
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by Lexusgs430: 3:16am On Oct 30, 2011
Hi,
I feel your pain. I had a similar issue with one of my properties about 2 years ago. Got resolved eventually. Give me a call for my heads up. 07956920461
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by edeal247: 5:55am On Oct 30, 2011
Pls where is d tenant tribunal am in lagos my old parents'tenants are owing much more.
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by sniperwolf(m): 8:59am On Oct 30, 2011
A noticed has been passed 6months ago, now is the time to grab the bull by the horn. Use police threatening them court is only going to waste time and more money
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by rotex2010: 11:18am On Oct 30, 2011
OP, after 7 days notice, the lawyer should apply to the court for an eviction order (which will subsequently be enforced -though with 'PR' - by court baillifs and the police). 2 x 6months notice is kind of unusual, unless the first one was defective.

If the property is in Lagos, once the tenancy has expired, under the new Tenancy Law, 6month notice is no longer required.

You are also entitled to mesne profit (arrears of rent or rent that you have been deprived of by their refusal to quit the premises).
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by reagand200(m): 11:20am On Oct 30, 2011
x
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by Orikinla(m): 2:25pm On Oct 30, 2011
Some tenants are worse than greedy landlords.
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by asas(f): 4:16pm On Oct 30, 2011
poster i dunno y u wasting time hire pple to remove d roof of the house and see if dey wld stay
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by frankkky: 4:51pm On Oct 30, 2011
hmmmmm na wah o,i see no body looking at this issue from the teants angle,in issues like this we have to look both sides i dont care what anyone says,why i see things and look at issues from both angles is that in life u never know,i have been a teant b4 i travelled out of nigeria and thanks to GOD today i own over three houses in lagos,nuff of my story,there ARE TWO CLASSIFICATIONS OF TENANTS
1 the ones that have the means(working,money in the bank etc)to pay the rent but doesnt want to(i have no symphaty for this group)
2the ones that want to pay but have lost or have no means of paying the rent. these tenants are human beings too,we landlords need to impress on the government to have things like social housing for people,some people here are shouting law law,in some parts of europe now people can no longer be evicted out of houses they bought on mortage even when the police come calling,i am taking of advanced nations o,why?because the world economy is bad,ol boy no pray for things to reach that level for naija,some peeps here may say and so what?is it my business if a tenant loses his job?he should get the hell out of my house,yes he should and must but we need to start impressing on the government to help those tenants who have been paying well before, this thing fit happen to anyone o,na GOD be our grace o
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 30, 2011
^^As much as what you are saying connects to the heart, you and I know that if government did it NIGERIANS will abuse the shite out of it. It is in the very vein of NIGERIANS to take advantage of and scam things.

This will be the mindset, "so u mean all I have to do is prove I have no work and I live here for free forever Ah mo ti ri ile na  grin" . . . Trust me, people will be perfectly comfortable and lazy in their joblessness even to the point of turning down work when they find it.

Also, Someone who is under debt from the bank for building house (no be easy thing oo) cannot be continually accruing debt cuz of someone's joblessness. Are u sure u own houses? Seems u do not understand the pressures on a home owner. Because as humane as he might be to the tenants, the bank is not as humane to him. the day he doesn't satisfy the bank, they will role up in there all mafia like and evict everyone, landlord included.

It is very easy for tenants to look at things from that selfish perspective.
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by Jimali: 8:24pm On Oct 30, 2011
A new way out of this long drawn out mess will be to sell the property and the new landlord will simply eject them by coming up with a new contract with a new terms of engagement. that way you do not loose out without collecting rent, you may use the money realised from the sale in purchasing another property in a better locale. I did that a few years back and it was sweet victory to me.
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by Nobody: 5:10am On Oct 31, 2011
//
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by skyy04(m): 9:06am On Oct 31, 2011
chaircover - You are right!
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by frankkky: 11:59am On Oct 31, 2011
i know and feel the pain of people staying in my house and not paying o,if the government can arrange a system of quick evictions with less paperwork,the better for landlords but the point am making here is about the true responsible hardworking tenants who have lost the means of paying rent not the iiresponsible ones,someone mentioned that some nigerians will abuse the system no not if it is well managed,before any tenant recieves such help it must be proven by checking his past reciepts,landlord reference,and reason why he lost his job if it was voulntary he cannot recieve such help,and the houses or help will be strictly on temporay basis maximum 6 months,i am presently working on such projects with some like minded business men,we need to give back to the society .we need to impress on the government to purse this line to help us all at the end of the day cause the society will benefit at the end of the day and would reduce landlord and tenants wahala
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 31, 2011
Here is the thing, from what lawyers told me, the law excessively protects tanants, so going to the court is a no no. At its best the court will ask you to help each tenant find an affordable house to rent.

Also sack that your laywer, either he is eating from you or he is a reall dumb Bottom. You made a blunder by writing your tenants a quits notice in the first instance. The law provides that once you as a landlord does this, the tenant should stop paying you any rent and concentrate on using their resources to secure another accomodation.

So here is your solution. Its Onitsha Style! Its going to cost you some money to repair in the later.

Issue quit notice to all the tenants without exception.
1. Pay some area boys to climb during undue hours and remove roofing sheets over the rooms of the house.
2. Pay truckers to bring in manure such as cow dung or human dung, refuse and dump in the front yard, off course accopanied by area boys who will beat up anybody that harrasses the truckers. Do this twice in the months.
3. Get a good plumber to carefully disable the toilet system.

Am sure you get the  idea by now, be creative, ,your teneants will leave within two months and you will then use that money you pay the lawyer or court to clean up your house. If any of your tenants take you to court, just deny the whole thing and tell them that it must be hoodlums. but anyway they have to come to london to serve you court papers first.
Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by blank(f): 2:05pm On Oct 31, 2011
If u try the above advice, na u go dey pay ur tenants. Just take them to court. As long as u av followed due process by issuing them the quit notice, the court will find in ur favour.

1 Like

Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by Knight45: 11:08am On Jan 11, 2019
Pls I need help, I have a tenant in a house I borrowed money from a bank to build. He entered into the house paid a year and after that he was paying monthly, the last payment he made was for 6month and now he has stayed additional 1year 6month without paying. When he was owing for six month my lawyer gave him a month notice and after then 7days notice then took the matter to court till now for about 7month the matter has not been heard , the first two month his lawyer did not appear and the next one the matter was just called and adjourned then the next time the clerk gave us wrong date and now adjourned to 21st of February. I plan to remove the windows in the apartment since he seems to be having upper hand because the court hasn’t sit on the matter
He wasn’t paying for Nepa bill when he stopped paying rent so I disconnected the light and water after complains of constant disconnection from Nepa and at then he hasn’t paid for about 6month Nepa bill. He is still in the house and I don’t know what to do please I need help the property is in Ogun state and a mini flat apartment and he has been in the apartment for a year and 5months now without paying

1 Like

Re: Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! by airminem(f): 2:49pm On Sep 30, 2020
Can you think with me please. Its my tenants, which i have given notice to quit twice and the last notice to quit has elapsed march during the covid beginning. After they promise to vacate the flat by july, they moved all their stuffs out of the flat and still live in the empty flat. Just today morning, i went to meet them and they still said they will leave. (they dont pay any utility bill or rent for almost 18 + as of august) my lawyer was contacted all this time and she seems to be relutant. Please advice. Its in Lagos mainland area.
blank:
If u try the above advice, na u go dey pay ur tenants. Just take them to court. As long as u av followed due process by issuing them the quit notice, the court will find in ur favour.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gate House Demolition: Shop Owners Seek FG, International Community Intervention / NIL / Lagos To Demolish More Illegal Structures Across The State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.