Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,434 members, 7,823,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism (42192 Views)

Top List Of Former Governors Who Left High Domestic Debts For Successors (Photo) / 10 Former Governors Who May Suffer Orji Uzor Kaluโ€™s Fate / Lists Of Nigeria Governors Who Have Range Rover Sentinel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 2:19pm On Nov 25, 2023
Melagros:
The political dynamics in Nigeria is dramatic and full of setbacks, some governors resisted the gentleman's agreement they had with their godfathers and made headway, unfortunately, others could not!
Please permit me to be brief/to summarise

KATSINA STATE: Shema vs. Yar'adua; Shema defied Yar'adua orders, sacks SSG who's Yar'adua's relative

ADAMAWA STATE: Atiku vs Haruna; when Atiku became the vice president and he wanted to dictate leadership for Boni Haruna but the later resisted and served his people

GOMBE STATE: Goje vs. Dankwambo; after Goje worked hard for Dankwambo to succeed him to pilot the affairs of the state thinking is gonna be a smooth ride but his boy rebelled against his boss which till date they are not in good terms

AKWA IBOM STATE: Attah vs. Akpabio; Akpaboi who's the current Nigeria's senate president also had altercations with his former boss

AKWA IBOM STATE: Akpabio vs. Udom; Udom had dished out what Akpabio dished to Attah

ABIA STATE: Kalu vs. Orji; when Kalu wanted to remote-control Orji, but Orji almost killed the political career of Kalu in Abi State

ANAMBRA STATE: The Ubas vs Ngige; if Ngige is not a strong politician the Ubas could have messed him up in that state

EDO STATE: Oshiomhole vs Obaseki; Obaseki warned Oshiomhole that Edo State is not Lagos, immediately Oshiomhole behaved himself

RIVERS STATE: Ameachi vs Odili; Ameachi silenced Odili's political career in Rivers State

RIVERS STATE: Obj vs Ameachi; Ameachi defied Obasanjo's 'K leg' syndrome and became a governor

DELTA STATE: Uduaghan vs Okowa; when Okowa became governor citizens thought that Okowa would become a 'boy-boy' for the former, but Uduaghan was silent throughout the tenure of Okowa

RIVERS STATE: Wike vs Fubara; currently Fubara is on the final phase of sealing political domination of his predecessor

KADUNA STATE: El'Rufai vs Uba; Uba has already sent El'Rufai packing from the politics of Kaduna State and El'Rufai is on exile right now

KANO STATE: Kwankwaso vs Ganduje; unless it takes the intervention of God Ganduje has shredded the political career of his former boss

IMO STATE: Okorocha vs Uzodinma; Uzodinma has sentenced the political structure of Okorocha to life imprison

However, the case was different for some governors who tried to defy their godfathers orders and those governors received the greatest humiliation of their life/political careers

LAGOS STATE: Tinubu vs Ambode; Tinubu dealt with Ambode mercilessly to the extent that Tinubu forbade Ambode from succeeding for second term

LAGOS STATE: ...what was the circumstance that led to the elimination of Funsho Williams from the political arena of Lagos state?

LAGOS STATE: Tinubu vs Osinbanjo; Tinubu prevented Osinbanjo from succeeding Buhari

OYO STATE: Ibadan big boy vs Ladoja; when Rasheed Ladoja tried to challenge his godfather, Ladoja was humiliated with impeachment

OYO STATE:...what was the mystery behind the assassination of Bola Ige?

OGUN STATE: Obasanjo vs Osoba; Obasanjo allotted only one tenure for Osoba for trying to defy his orders

OGUN STATE: Obasanjo vs Bankole; Obasanjo vowed that in his life time, Bankole will never rule Ogun State and it's playing out

OSUN STATE: Aregbosola vs Oyetola; when the later dared the former, one term became his national anthem

KWARA STATE: Saraki (sr) vs Adesina; since godfatherism exists in that state, Lam Adesina served that state only one tenure, Saraki (sr) removed him and replaced him with Saraki (jn)

Distinguished ladies and gentlemen
Thank you all

I've tried to modify/edit the thread but I couldn't: (please the mods should help)
KWARA STATE: is Saraki vs Lawal. Not Saraki vs Lam Adesina.

1 Like

Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Basic123: 2:19pm On Nov 25, 2023
firearcher:
There is no political or corporate system globally that the incumbent doesn't take strong interest in who will succeed him.

In fact, they are sometimes expected to mentor and groom someone for that role.
Granted that some of them do it for various reasons some of which could be selfish. But painting it as an evil system unique to Nigeria alone is just a matter of inferiority complex which many Nigerian unconsciously suffer from.

THE MOST INTELLIGENT COMMENT.
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 2:27pm On Nov 25, 2023
glolomoh:
Where did you get all these concoction ?

How is Lam Adesina and Olusola Saraki related ?

Lam Adesina was a former governor of oyo state ( 1999-2003) while Olusola Saraki was the godfather of Kwara State politics in his days.

Lam Adesina failed to secure second term in 2003 election due to south West Alliance for Democracy governor's alignment with Obasanjo. All the South West governor lost to PDP except Bola Tinubu of Lagos who refused to sign pact with Obasanjo. So, Lam Adesina did not lose due to godfatherism but wrong political calculations.

It was a well known fact that Olusola Saraki installed former governor Mohammed Lawal as the governor of Kwara State in 1999. Governor Mohammed Lawal fought Olusola Saraki almost immediately he became the governor. He lost the battle as he failed to secure second term in office. Olusola Saraki won by installing his biological son, Bukola Saraki as the governor in 2003.

Endeavour to always do basic research before writing. Google is there for the lazy man.

Must you insult in every single situation? I tried correcting the thread but nairaland refused me access to modify the post. I knew KWARA STATE was between Saraki and Mohammed Lawal. For insulting me in your post this shows that you had a very poor childhood upbringing. I pity those who gave birth to you
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by IfnobeGod20: 2:29pm On Nov 25, 2023
Bliss62:

grin grin grin

You are soooooo naive of International politics and US

Imagine you thinking you can get to Washington without heavy backing of lobby group and godfathers in US

even Trump with his money needed the group

US is run by shadow Government

See the way you misconstrued the whole godfatherism issue. Political actors consulting groups and exes in US is quite different from what is obtainable or what the commenter you quoted insinuated. That someone seemingly controlling who and who can hold position is what they are talking about and not making consultation during campaign. Don't mix garri with sand. They are different.
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Emyzoloye5(m): 2:30pm On Nov 25, 2023
Most loyal God sons ever should be Abdulfatai ahmed of Kwara state and recently, babajide sanwolu of lagos

Ahmed was loyal to Bukola saraki till the end
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by IfnobeGod20: 2:35pm On Nov 25, 2023
firearcher:
There is no political or corporate system globally that the incumbent doesn't take strong interest in who will succeed him.

In fact, they are sometimes expected to mentor and groom someone for that role.
Granted that some of them do it for various reasons some of which could be selfish. But painting it as an evil system unique to Nigeria alone is just a matter of inferiority complex which many Nigerian unconsciously suffer from.
Yes that is the common saying that there cannot be success without a good successor. Every good leader scout and fish out for who to succeed them but not after you've left the scene, you now refused to let go of the string, as done by many of our politicians. Many of them still want to be the person choosing SSG, commissioners, advisers and even to the least kitchen cabinet.
Please learn the direction the commenter is going and not what you think.
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by glolomoh: 3:17pm On Nov 25, 2023
Thank you

Melagros:

Must you insult in every single situation? I tried correcting the thread but nairaland refused me access to modify the post. I knew KWARA STATE was between Saraki and Mohammed Lawal. For insulting me in your post this shows that you had a very poor childhood upbringing. I pity those who gave birth to you
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by YourGFsnatcher: 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2023
Bliss62:
cool

Betrayal by a protegee isn't a noble act

We rise by lifting others

If Davido and Olamide baddoo decided to act like Burna boy and Wizkid... who go blow

Ask Mr Fabura a former Civil Servant ,how he spends his monthly security vote, office running cost, estacodes as a Governor

Is he better than his benefactor Wike who brought him from a minimum wage civil servant to a public office holder

Even though paying dues is good, it should not play out in public offices. Whether they support them or not a state must have a governor. The governor should be indebted to the people not the godfather. And we should not encourage them to please the godfather over the people like without them there won't be governor in the state
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by stuffs2002: 4:16pm On Nov 25, 2023
SALLYBERRY01:
OP i don't understand the relationship between Lam and saraki, secondly your assertion as regards kadun(el rufai vs UBA) Is wrong , there is nothing like that between them.

OP is a big liar.

1. Kaduna: El-Rufai is very much at peace with Uba Sani
2. Lam Adesina was governor of Osun while Saraki is from Kwara

1 Like

Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by akeeng: 4:38pm On Nov 25, 2023
KWARA STATE: Saraki (sr) vs Adesina; since godfatherism exists in that state, Lam Adesina served that state only one tenure, Saraki (sr) removed him and replaced him with Saraki (jn)

Lam Adesina in Kwara? These hungry bloggers sha

Lamidi was Oyo

1 Like

Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by CLRF: 4:39pm On Nov 25, 2023
Melagros:

Thank you all

Point of correction, Lam Adeshina was Oyo State governor. The person you met was Late Alh. Muhammed Lawal.

Also, there is no issue between Elrufai and Uba Sani. And so far Elrufai has not shown any sign of making himself godfather in Kaduna.
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by CrownLands(m): 4:41pm On Nov 25, 2023
Though I don't support godfatherism, but that is the nature of Nigerian politics.

An outgoing governor imposing a "stodge" to cover him up when he leaves office.

However, less than 10% of "installed governors" successfully fight off their fathers.

The reason is: he who knows your secrets will one day use it against you.
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 4:59pm On Nov 25, 2023
makaveli902:

I thought ๐Ÿ’ญ ๐Ÿค” Lam Adesina was from ร’yรณ State....
Yes I corrected that thank you
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 5:00pm On Nov 25, 2023
CLRF:

Point of correction, Lam Adeshina was Oyo State governor. The person you met was Late Alh. Muhammed Lawal.

Also, there is no issue between Elrufai and Uba Sani. And so far Elrufai has not shown any sign of making himself godfather in Kaduna.
Yes I corrected that of Kwara State thank you
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by damkin24(m): 5:02pm On Nov 25, 2023
Naija2023:
Why exclude
ANAMBRA STATE: Obiano vs Peter Obi. Obiano accused Obi of asking him to pay him some money which he refused. Obi took Obiano 2nd election as his personal fight. Campaigning vigorously against Obiano during Obiano 2nd Term election. But Anambra people still voted Obiano.
Don't mind the werey OP. He is one of the Obi supporters. Very obvious to see through.

1 Like

Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 5:02pm On Nov 25, 2023
Omenlon:
what does it take to do proper research work before going public? What business has Lam Adesina of Oyo State with Olusola Saraki of Kwara State? Lazy youth.
I've corrected that, must you insult me in your post?
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 5:04pm On Nov 25, 2023
[quote author=Kurugu92 post=127157236][/quote]
I've corrected it
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 5:04pm On Nov 25, 2023
thinkmoney:

The last case you mentioned which is Kwara is very wrong. Saraki Junior took over from Lawal
Yes thank you, I have corrected that
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 5:07pm On Nov 25, 2023
LagBlogger:

Lam Adeshina was Oyo state governor.
Thanks I've corrected it
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 5:07pm On Nov 25, 2023
success1smyn:

Lam Adesina Kwara?
I've done the correction

1 Like

Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 5:08pm On Nov 25, 2023
Kukutenla:

This your Edo own funny die grin grin
Oshiomole behaved himself grin grin
Not true though....
Correcting Kwara, it was late Mohammed Lawal vs Saraki. Lam Adesina was Oyo gov
I've done the correction... Kwara
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 5:09pm On Nov 25, 2023
phemmie06:
Lam Adeshina in Kwara? Or Lawal

I've done the correction thanks
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 5:10pm On Nov 25, 2023
Politicstoday:
op edit the Kwara state own, you are very wrong. The late Saraki senior, Senator Olusola Saraki sent Ex Governor Lawal packing why allowing his son Senator Bukola Saraki to be governor and do 8 years in government.
Thanks I've done that
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Uniquekriss(m): 5:21pm On Nov 25, 2023
I can't accept your verdict for Delta State. Uduagha never supported Okowa's gubernatorial ambition, instead he fielded Tony Obuh to oppose Okowa since it was already established that delta north would produce the next governor, reason Uduaghan decamped to APC for a while and became completely irrelevant in Delta politics cos he revolted against the people's will.
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by sniperr007(m): 5:50pm On Nov 25, 2023
Melagros:
The political dynamics in Nigeria is dramatic and full of setbacks, some governors resisted the gentleman's agreement they had with their godfathers and made headway, unfortunately, others could not!

KATSINA STATE: Shema vs. Yar'adua; Shema defied Yar'adua orders, sacks SSG who's Yar'adua's relative

ADAMAWA STATE: Atiku vs Haruna; when Atiku became the vice president and he wanted to dictate leadership for Boni Haruna but the later resisted and served his people

GOMBE STATE: Goje vs. Dankwambo; after Goje worked hard for Dankwambo to succeed him to pilot the affairs of the state thinking is gonna be a smooth ride but his boy rebelled against his boss which till date they are not in good terms

AKWA IBOM STATE: Attah vs. Akpabio; Akpaboi who's the current Nigeria's senate president also had altercations with his former boss

AKWA IBOM STATE: Akpabio vs. Udom; Udom had dished out what Akpabio dished to Attah

ABIA STATE: Kalu vs. Orji; when Kalu wanted to remote-control Orji, but Orji almost killed the political career of Kalu in Abi State

ANAMBRA STATE: The Ubas vs Ngige; if Ngige is not a strong politician the Ubas could have messed him up in that state

EDO STATE: Oshiomhole vs Obaseki; Obaseki warned Oshiomhole that Edo State is not Lagos, immediately Oshiomhole behaved himself

RIVERS STATE: Ameachi vs Odili; Ameachi silenced Odili's political career in Rivers State

RIVERS STATE: Obj vs Ameachi; Ameachi defied Obasanjo's 'K leg' syndrome and became a governor

DELTA STATE: Uduaghan vs Okowa; when Okowa became governor citizens thought that Okowa would become a 'boy-boy' for the former, but Uduaghan was silent throughout the tenure of Okowa

RIVERS STATE: Wike vs Fubara; currently Fubara is on the final phase of sealing political domination of his predecessor

KADUNA STATE: El'Rufai vs Uba; Uba has already sent El'Rufai packing from the politics of Kaduna State and El'Rufai is on exile right now

KANO STATE: Kwankwaso vs Ganduje; unless it takes the intervention of God Ganduje has shredded the political career of his former boss

IMO STATE: Okorocha vs Uzodinma; Uzodinma has sentenced the political structure of Okorocha to life imprison

However, the case was different for some governors who tried to defy their godfathers orders and those governors received the greatest humiliation of their life/political careers

LAGOS STATE: Tinubu vs Ambode; Tinubu dealt with Ambode mercilessly to the extent that Tinubu forbade Ambode from succeeding for second term

LAGOS STATE: ...what was the circumstance that led to the elimination of Funsho Williams from the political arena of Lagos state?

LAGOS STATE: Tinubu vs Osinbanjo; Tinubu prevented Osinbanjo from succeeding Buhari

OYO STATE: Ibadan big boy vs Ladoja; when Rasheed Ladoja tried to challenge his godfather, Ladoja was humiliated with impeachment

OGUN STATE: Obasanjo vs Osoba; Obasanjo allotted only one tenure for Osoba for trying to defy his orders

OGUN STATE: Obasanjo vs Bankole; Obasanjo vowed that in his life time, Bankole will never rule Ogun State and it's playing out

OSUN STATE: Aregbosola vs Oyetola; when the later dared the former, one term became his national anthem

Thank you all

Okoduwa and uduaghan were never in the same boat. In fact, the latter worked against Okowa but failed.
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Dzzzz: 6:08pm On Nov 25, 2023
bhella10:
Ambode no send you Baba. Stop supporting what we consider evil. Your support is toxic. You supported Ambode, Jimi Agbaje aka just kidding. Chinedu et al. It all ended badly. Keep your support ONKR.
..What is evil?.
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Politicstoday: 6:11pm On Nov 25, 2023
Melagros:

Thanks I've done that
good
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Advancedman(m): 6:15pm On Nov 25, 2023
igwebuike01:

In summary, only Yoruba cowards could not fight off Godfatherism

You missed it, it's only southwest that know and understand what god-fatheriism is and how it is applied.

Check the history of SW godfathers.
For instance Tinubu, Saraki Snr, Adelabu etc
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by sunbreaker: 7:43pm On Nov 25, 2023
Melagros:

Thank you all

Lam Adesina in Kwara state? Group of people that used social media to dispense fake information
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by jonsn: 7:53pm On Nov 25, 2023
Melagros:

I've tried to modify/edit the thread but I couldn't: (please the mods should help)
KWARA STATE: is Saraki vs Lawal. Not Saraki vs Lam Adesina.

Thumbs up for owning up as regards the error.
I was about to point out the mistake too but well done.
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Melagros(m): 9:34pm On Nov 25, 2023
sunbreaker:
Lam Adesina in Kwara state? Group of people that used social media to dispense fake information
It's obvious you just opened the thread, I've done the correction since but mods couldn't push it
Re: List Of Governors Who Defied Godfatherism by Karlifate: 9:45pm On Nov 25, 2023
akeeng:

Lam Adesina in Kwara? These hungry bloggers sha

Lamidi was Oyo

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Make hungry bloggers see food chop o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Caption This Photo Of Amaechi / Bayo Omoboriowo Meets Baba Shettima, Abacha's Photographer / Okpanam Killings: Ohanaeze Moves Against Reprisal Attacks On Igbos In North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.