Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,550 members, 7,865,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 02:52 PM

Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro (658 Views)

EndSARS: Mike Okiro Urges Tinubu To Declare October 20 National Freedom Day / Mike Okiro: Tinubu will fix Nigeria like Lagos / DSS Likely To Detain Sowore Indefinitely Based On Ex. IGP Okiro Rape Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by SoNature(m): 6:47pm On Nov 26, 2023
A former Inspector-General of Police, Mr Mike Okiro, said on Friday that the decentralisation of the Nigeria Police Force would not achieve its desired objective.

He said this was because the factors that led to its failure in the past have not been addressed.

Okiro spoke with journalists on the sidelines of the 2023 Convention of the Old Seminarians Association of Nigeria, hosted by the Clerk to the Senate, Chinedu Akubueze, in Abuja.

The former IGP went down memory lane to explain the advent of the Nigerian police, explaining that the authorities of the sub-regional institutions had their own police separate from the ones being controlled by the central government.

He said the state police idea might not work due to the paucity of funds in both the state and local government areas.

He wondered how the states and local government areas that could not effectively pay the salaries of their workers would be able to fund their own police.

Okiro, however, said the only way the state police could work was for Nigeria to embrace the Canadian model.

The Canadian model, according to him, would involve the states recruiting police personnel who would be funded by the Federal Government.

He said, “The only way we can have state police in Nigeria is to adopt the Canadian model, where every region has its own police employed by the region and paid by the Federal Government.

“For example, in Nigeria, every governor would employ their own police and equip them while they would be paid by the Federal Government.

“Before the advent of what we have now, we had ‘dandoka’, we had police in the West, and we also had police in the East.

“Local governments had their police, but because of the behaviour of the local police officers, during the time of the former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, in 1971 or thereabout, he turned it to the Nigeria Police Force.

“I am opposed to the state police because of the benefit of hindsight—how they behaved in those days—unless you want to throw away the benefits of history.”

The former IGP lamented that the police is going down the drain, confronted with so many problems.

He said, “There is no equipment, no manpower, no welfare. They are demoralised and frustrated.

“We need to encourage the police to do something.

“I have equally said time without number; everything has advantages and disadvantages, merits and demerits.

“If you adopt state police, the state government that cannot pay teachers, nurses, and doctors, can they pay the police?

“You cannot afford to owe the police one month’s salary; insecurity will be at the highest level in that state. If the state governments can’t pay the civil servants, I wonder how they can pay the police.”

He appealed to the Federal Government to invest heavily in equipping and training the police in order to tackle the current insecurity in the country.

Okiro said, “There is gross insecurity in the country. You know Nigeria is part of the world. Insecurity is a global issue, but every country sits down to plan and devise methods to check insecurity.

“In Nigeria, the government is equally trying to check insecurity. You cannot get 100 per cent, but you can be sure you have done your best and leave the rest to God.

“The government should ensure that security agencies are well equipped and trained. Police is short on manpower; they should recruit more people and give them equipment to solve the problem.

“You cannot solve the problem of insecurity with bare hands. We are in a modern, digitalised world.

“So, you fight insecurity with technology. The government should do something to ensure that security agencies are well equipped to confront these criminals because they go to the internet. So, they are ahead of the security agencies.

“For you to succeed, the security agencies should be ahead of them and tackle them before they do what they want to do.”

The Clerk to the Senate, in his welcome address, identified a lack of patriotism among Nigerians as a major ill bedevilling the country.

Akubueze said, “The Nigerian society is bedevilled by self-imposed ills. occasioned by our lack of collective sense of patriotism, which ordinarily should emphasise love for the nation rather than undue recourse to ethno-religious cleavages and clannish leanings.

“Here in OSAN, we are set to chart a new course of national consciousness aimed at cementing the bonds that hold us together as Nigerians rather than the dissimilarities that tend to tear us apart.

“Our sense of fraternity is one that recognises the fact that we are of diverse ethnic extractions yet bonded together by a common heritage, a scenario that has helped in fostering love, camaraderie, and a collective sense of responsibility and purposefulness within our rank and file.

“Of course, we have no doubts whatsoever that OSAN is an association whose future prosperity is guaranteed, a brotherhood of likeminded individuals whose members would, within the next few years, seize the opportunities open to them to advance their wellbeing as well as that of the larger Nigerian society.

“To actualise our dreams within record time, all hands must be on deck. We must pull resources together, both human and material, in order to create a prosperous and glorious future.”

Source: https://punchng.com/why-state-police-wont-work-ex-ig-okiro/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by SoNature(m): 6:48pm On Nov 26, 2023
People have always maintained that why state police cannot work is that state governors will hijack the police. For me, that has never been an issue. The issue is what Mike Okiro said - funding. I think the Canadian model he suggested makes sense too. This man understands the problem so well.

5 Likes

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by ILoveNG: 6:51pm On Nov 26, 2023
Aside funding another problem is that in a diverse country like Nigeria, where there's still a lot of work to do on national integration, if a region controls any institution, you can bet that the majority of the people who would make up the institution, including top players, would be members of that region. Imagine going to a region where your people are not wanted and expecting the police, who are members of the region and controlled by the region, to serve any meaningful justice that would benefit you against their people.

Unless the police are highly trained to discharge their duties professionally.

1 Like

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by illicit(m): 6:52pm On Nov 26, 2023
Nothing works here

Even the Ministry of Works is not working
🤕🥴

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by Amotolongbo(f): 6:59pm On Nov 26, 2023

He said, “The only way we can have state police in Nigeria is to adopt the Canadian model, where every region has its own police employed by the region and paid by the Federal Government.

“For example, in Nigeria, every governor would employ their own police and equip them while they would be paid by the Federal Government.

1 Like

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by FuckingMachine: 7:04pm On Nov 26, 2023
How about the money going to the FG for nothing goes to the respective states and now they can fund their own Police?

How about that?

1 Like

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by KingKO22: 7:10pm On Nov 26, 2023
Lack of patriotism is one of the major causative factor as mentioned above.

When scenario where A member of one ethnicity is arrested then the would tribe would start attacking the government like Emeifiele, Nnamdi, igboho, Sheikh Buni and others

We need to put nationality first

1 Like

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by onumadu: 7:24pm On Nov 26, 2023
This man should be flogged openly because people like him created the mess we all have today in Nigeria.
After watching SEVERAL videos of local vigilante and how they investigate and solve crime at local levels, I concluded that anybody speaking against state police is an enemy the Nigerian people.
These local vigilante people conduct their businesses purely in LOCAL DIALECTS (not just languages), and in the process get to the very bottom of every crime.
They make arrests, and hand suspects over to the Nigerian police for prosecution.
The problem starts after suspects are handed over, because Nigeria police take brides and turn the suspects loose! angry
But, whether people like Mike Okiro likes or not, I doubt that local vigilante would ever go away again in Nigeria, the people having seen their usefulness.
I even doubt that any community can survive crime these days without the local vigilantes.
So, Mike Okiro should go and suck a bitter lemon if he doesn't like the situation.

3 Likes

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by Blue3k(m): 8:08pm On Nov 26, 2023
He said the state police idea might not work due to the paucity of funds in both the state and local government areas.

The states that can't afford it just won't have it. Just because you have the right to something doesn't mean you have to exercised it immediately. Take the state prisons for example, no state has built one after its been added to the Concurrent list. Everyone is still relying on federal prisons. The federal government will eventually have to put its foot down by either charging the states or simply not accepting inmates by a certain date.

1 Like

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by tommy589(m): 8:09pm On Nov 26, 2023
onumadu:
This man should be flogged openly because people like him created the mess we all have today in Nigeria.
After watching SEVERAL videos of local vigilante and how they investigate and solve crime at local levels, I concluded that anybody speaking against state police is an enemy the Nigerian people.
These local vigilante people conduct their businesses purely in LOCAL DIALECTS (not just languages), and in the process get to the very bottom of every crime.
They make arrests, and hand suspects over to the Nigerian police for prosecution.
The problem starts after suspects are handed over, because Nigeria police take brides and turn the suspects loose! angry
But, whether people like Mike Okiro likes or not, I doubt that local vigilante would ever go away again in Nigeria, the people having seen their usefulness.
I even doubt that any community can survive crime these days without the local vigilantes.
So, Mike Okiro should go and suck a bitter lemon if he doesn't like the situation.

I guess you did not hear of OPC and Bakassi boys in their hey days. They have kangaroo courts and some ended up.executed
When last did any state governors organise LG elections and they fail to win 100%? Already some state governors are sending critics to prisons on treasonable charges (federal offence) How do opposition get justice when these mini dictators have State police
Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by Blue3k(m): 8:16pm On Nov 26, 2023
tommy589:

I guess you did not hear of OPC and Bakassi boys in their hey days. They have kangaroo courts and some ended up.executed
When last did any state governors organise LG elections and they fail to win 100%? Already some state governors are sending critics to prisons on treasonable charges (federal offence) How do opposition get justice when these mini dictators have State police

Your state assembly members have to quit enabling executive criminality. It's the rubber stamp assembly that's the issue with states. Nothing stops the state assembly from reforming laws regarding local election laws constitutionally. Lol I've never heard of a State assembly overriding a veto for example. I believe it's the beta male culture Nigerians have to be subservient the alpha. The state assembly more interested in being the governors floor mats than representing their constitutes.

SPEAKER of Borno State House of Assembly,Hon. Abdulkarim Lawan, has explained that state assemblies don’t override governors’ vetoes on bills because legislators don’t want fight with state governors.

He, however,expressed frustration over inability of state governors to assent to private bills passed by the legislature, asking stakeholders to begin to engage the state chief executives for change of attitudes to that effect.

State assembly = Beta males losers

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by onumadu: 8:17pm On Nov 26, 2023
tommy589:

Look, you people should stop thinking like cavemen.
So, you haven't heard of MULTILEVEL policing before?
In a country of 230 MILLION people, you want one CORRUPT AND IRREDEEMABLE police to remain in charge?
Like I said, if not for the local police vigilante we have today in Nigeria, most of the communities would turn to ghost towns, abandoned to thieves and terrorists.
What you have toady in Nigeria is a situation where NIGERIAN POLICE would simply arrest a person and force them to make millions of Naira transfer, or else they "waste" them "and nothing will happen".
Let me tell you, what we have today in Nigeria is worse than civil war.
What we have a satanic "peace", where all manner of evil are committed by police.

1 Like

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by tommy589(m): 8:29pm On Nov 26, 2023
onumadu:

Look, you people should stop thinking like cavemen.
So, you haven't heard of MULTILEVEL policing before?
In a country of 230 MILLION people, you want one CORRUPT AND IRREDEEMABLE police to remain in charge?
Like I said, if not for the local police vigilante we have today in Nigeria, most of the communities would turn to ghost towns, abandoned to thieves and terrorists.
What you have toady in Nigeria is a situation where NIGERIAN POLICE would simply arrest a person and force them to make millions of Naira transfer, or else they "waste" them "and nothing will happen".
Let me tell you, what we have today in Nigeria is worse than civil war.
What we have a satanic "peace", where all manner of evil are committed by police.

Must you lace your comment with insult?
Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by onumadu: 8:32pm On Nov 26, 2023
tommy589:

Must you lace your comment with insult?

Okay, I apologize. cool
The insult wasn't on you personally.
The people I'm insulting know themselves.
Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by tommy589(m): 8:38pm On Nov 26, 2023
Blue3k:

Your state assembly members have to quit enabling executive criminality. It's the rubber stamp assembly that's the issue with states. Nothing stops the state assembly from reforming laws regarding local election laws constitutionally. Lol I've never heard of a State assembly overriding a veto for example. I believe it's the beta male culture Nigerians have to be subservient the alpha. The state assembly more interested in being the governors floor mats than representing their constitutes.

State assembly = Beta males losers

It is not that they don't want to fight state governors but they get to enrich themselves too from padded allocations. It is only Assembly members that ask for review of state budget,if you see where governors complain of budget let me know. When governors don't cooperate.they shake them
Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by Blue3k(m): 8:45pm On Nov 26, 2023
tommy589:

It is not that they don't want to fight state governors but they get to enrich themselves too from padded allocations. It is only Assembly members that ask for review of state budget,if you see where governors complain of budget let me know. When governors don't cooperate.they shake them

I agree aboht the budget but that's only one aspect of governance. You mentioned the local elections being corrupt the state assembly is the issue. When it came to approving the constitutional amendment to stop state local government joint account they state assemblies didn't ratify it. The governors are convenient scape goat to point to state assemblies can do nothing but collect a check and few cars.

1 Like

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by tommy589(m): 8:51pm On Nov 26, 2023
onumadu:

Okay, I apologize. cool
The insult wasn't on you personally.
The people I'm insulting know themselves.

It's ok my brother

We have precedence for what we see today. In the first republice,municipal police will drop dead body at the front of a government critic residence and have him arrested for.murder.

Our problem with a corrupt police system is poverty.A good number of American police were depicted to be corrupt in old Hollywood movies,even in British peaky blinders series. But if we can fight poverty ,our police is going to be above board
Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by tommy589(m): 8:58pm On Nov 26, 2023
Blue3k:

I agree aboht the budget but that's only one aspect of governance. You mentioned the local elections being corrupt the state assembly is the issue. When it came to approving the constitutional amendment to stop state local government joint account they state assemblies didn't ratify it. The governors are convenient scape goat to point to state assemblies can do nothing but collect a check and few cars.

https://saharareporters.com/2023/01/24/nigerian-states-reject-local-government-autonomy-national-assembly-sends-35#:~:text=The%20Houses%20of%20Assembly%20in,been%20passed%20by%20state%20assemblies.

Maybe your state,those assembly members collect tonnes of money weekly not just few give aways
Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by Blue3k(m): 9:09pm On Nov 26, 2023
tommy589:

https://saharareporters.com/2023/01/24/nigerian-states-reject-local-government-autonomy-national-assembly-sends-35#:~:text=The%20Houses%20of%20Assembly%20in,been%20passed%20by%20state%20assemblies.

Maybe your state,those assembly members collect tonnes of money weekly not just few give aways

It seems like you're bolstering my point the state assemblies are the issue. The governors are just what people point to.

1 Like

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by tommy589(m): 9:57pm On Nov 26, 2023
Blue3k:

It seems like you're bolstering my point the state assemblies are the issue. The governors are just what people point to.

But you know they don't have immunity clause like governors. Every time they got arrested by efcc to snitch on governors they don't capitulate. It is a symbiotic relationship where they both benefits.
Governors don't even select their successors from their midst because they have tasted the pie and want a bigger bite
Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by Blue3k(m): 10:13pm On Nov 26, 2023
tommy589:

But you know they don't have immunity clause like governors. Every time they got arrested by efcc to snitch on governors they don't capitulate. It is a symbiotic relationship where they both benefits.
Governors don't even select their successors from their midst because they have tasted the pie and want a bigger bite

OK they're criminals I agree. They're still the reason the executives run amuck. There's nothing stopping them from doing their jobs legally speaking. To circle back to the other argument I made the former admitted they don't fight governors on bills. That sort of beta behavior is weird.

Even the NASS has overrided a presidential veto in the history to pass NDDC. Do you have an any example of a State assembly doing anything similar? They should have an easier time since they are unilateral legislatures. This is why I told you these guys don't fight governors.

SPEAKER of Borno State House of Assembly,Hon. Abdulkarim Lawan, has explained that state assemblies don’t override governors’ vetoes on bills because legislators don’t want fight with state governors.

He, however,expressed frustration over inability of state governors to assent to private bills passed by the legislature, asking stakeholders to begin to engage the state chief executives for change of attitudes to that effect.
Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by johannu(m): 1:31am On Nov 27, 2023
The prevailing insecurity across Nigeria is frightening and it's getting worse by the day. The way to tackle it is to have multiple layers of police: state police, local government police as well as community police. We cannot continue to dwell on how it will not work, but we can assemble intelligent people to tell us how it will work. And the time is now. With the spate of kidnappings, armed robbery, assassinations, cult killings, ritual killings, terrorism, banditry, etc, life in Nigeria is increasingly nasty, brutish and short. But why are some Nigerians so opposed to state police? Bring the arguments against state police and I will trash them all.
Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by johannu(m): 2:10am On Nov 27, 2023
It's still fresh in our memories how the whole country was in a lockdown due to the threat posed by COVID. But if I may ask, how many lives did we lose to COVID compared to the number of lives we are losing everyday due to insecurity? We were able to tackle COVID because we tackled it with all seriousness, but we are tackling insecurity with levity, debating we don't need state police until Nigeria becomes unlivable. And come to think of it, the political elite all have police escorts protecting them. In the absence of police escort protecting every Nigerian, the closest we can have is state police, local government police and community police. But our leaders are naturally selfish and evil. May evil befall them that are against what will improve security of lives and properties in Nigeria.
Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by Blue3k(m): 5:19pm On Nov 27, 2023
SoNature:
People have always maintained that why state police cannot work is that state governors will hijack the police. For me, that has never been an issue. The issue is what Mike Okiro said - funding. I think the Canadian model he suggested makes sense too. This man understands the problem so well.

It's too bad he lied to you about how the Canadian model works. His lies can be debunked by skimming through government websites. The provices/municipality pay the bulk of the cost if they want Federal policing services. They also pay 100% of their for their local police service.

Questions & Answers

When did the RCMP start doing contract policing?
The RCMP began providing contract policing services to the provinces as early as 1906. The Policing Agreements function in the same manner as a business contract. 

What are the different cost-sharing ratios under contract policing?
Provinces and territories pay 70% of RCMP costs and the federal government pays 30%. There are three types of cost-share ratios for municipalities:

a 70% municipal & 30% federal government cost-share ratio for municipalities with a population of less than 15,000. 

a 90% municipal & 10% federal government cost-share ratio for municipalities with a population greater than 15,000.

Since 1991, municipalities never before policed by the RCMP must pay 100% of contract policing costs.

Can the Policing Agreements be terminated before their 20-year end date?
Yes. The Agreements clearly state that they may be terminated on March 31st in any year by either party (Government of Canada or any province, territory or municipality). Parties, however, must give notice of termination 24 months prior to the date of the intended termination.

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ccaps-spcca/contract-eng.htm

Front page: Mynd44 Lalasticlala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by SoNature(m): 5:30pm On Nov 27, 2023
Blue3k:

It's too bad he lied to you about how the Canadian model works. His lies can be debunked in skimming through government websites. The provices/municipality pay the bulk of the cost if they want Federal policing services. They also pay 100% of their for their local police service.

Your problem is that he mentioned Canada.

Remove that Canada and see the sense he made.
Re: Why State Police Won’t Work – Ex-IGP Okiro by Blue3k(m): 5:38pm On Nov 27, 2023
SoNature:

Your problem is that he mentioned Canada.

Remove that Canada and see the sense he made.

No the problem is he lied and it's a stupid proposal. You're like many childish people who want more states rights but don't want the fiscal burden. You want the federal government to bankroll the states then hand them a police force for them to control on top of their other funding requirements.

If they hand money laying around they would simply hire more police and do the work themselves. It cost to be the boss chief do get used to paying your bills. Lol, this is why states are yet to build their own prisons.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Foreign Investors Pull Out N310bn Assets, As P&G, Equinor Exit Nigeria / How I Disciplined Visa Processing Officer Caught Watching BBN On Duty–minister / Why It Is Dangerous To Speculate On NGN/USD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.