Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,333 members, 7,829,847 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. (179 Views)

Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. / Let's Teach Your Kids Coding / Tutor Needed To Teach Kids Coding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. by Stepout23(f): 10:52am On Nov 30, 2023
1. Myth: Kids are too young to start coding.
Fact: Children as young as 5 or 6 can begin learning coding concepts through age-appropriate tools like block-based coding apps, which promote problem-solving and creativity.

Re: 5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. by Stepout23(f): 10:55am On Nov 30, 2023
2. Myth: Coding is only for math prodigies.
Fact: Coding is about logic and creativity, not just math. Kids from various backgrounds can excel and find enjoyment in coding.

Re: 5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. by Stepout23(f): 10:56am On Nov 30, 2023
3. Myth: Coding hinders social development.
Fact: Coding can encourage collaboration, as kids often work together on projects, share ideas, and learn to communicate effectively.

Re: 5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. by Stepout23(f): 10:59am On Nov 30, 2023
4. Myth: It's all screen time.
Fact: Coding activities can be balanced with offline activities like robotics, puzzles, and games that promote physical and mental engagement.

Re: 5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. by Stepout23(f): 11:00am On Nov 30, 2023
5. Myth: Learning to code is solely about future job prospects.
Fact: Coding fosters problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity, which are valuable life skills regardless of future career choices. It's not just about coding jobs; it's about building a versatile skillset.

Re: 5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. by turmacs(f): 11:53am On Nov 30, 2023
It's either you're trying to sell one stupid course or the other, or you're trying to deceive gullible parents to enroll their kids into one stupid bootcamp or the other, it will not pass those two things..
Re: 5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. by Stepout23(f): 12:06pm On Nov 30, 2023
turmacs:
It's either you're trying to sell one stupid course or the other, or you're trying to deceive gullible parents to enroll their kids into one stupid bootcamp or the other, it will not pass those two things..

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I understand there's skepticism around coding courses for kids. However, my intention in discussing the myths was not to promote any specific course or bootcamp. Instead, I aimed to provide information to help parents make informed decisions about whether coding is suitable for their children. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to address them.
Re: 5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. by Stepout23(f): 12:13pm On Nov 30, 2023
Parents who prepare their kids early for this rapidly evolving world of technology are some of the wisest on earth. Trust me, your kids will thank you later.

Re: 5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. by Stepout23(f): 12:39pm On Nov 30, 2023
I saw this comment somewhere in nairaland by someone with the username Devdevdev and I totally agree.

After corruption and bad leadership, Nigerian parents are the next cause of Nigeria's problem today. They are all myopic, close-minded and very naive. Their thinking is stuck in the 1980s and 1990s.

While I was growing up, almost every Nigerian parent wanted their kids to be either doctors or lawyers. The two most useless professions in this country. Which Nigerian parent had the foresight to see that computer science would be as usefully as it is today? Still even today, they are still blinded to this fact.

Computer science was so easy to get then, yet it was frowned upon, and tagged as a course for people who weren't smart enough to get into medicine, law or engineering. But today it is the most valuable course anyone can study. I swear if I could go back in time I'll apply for computer science in Unilag just after finishing secondary school, then get a laptop and start coding from day one.
Re: 5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. by airsaylongcome: 12:55pm On Nov 30, 2023
Tooo much Dalle generated pics. Tooo much
Re: 5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. by CHRISTFUCKER: 1:11pm On Nov 30, 2023
Beep boop
Re: 5 Myths About Teaching Kids Coding/programming At A Young Age. by Stepout23(f): 1:42pm On Nov 30, 2023
Parents, you are not gullible if you start preparing your kids for the future of technology.

I will keep saying that this technology is not a particular industry; it is intertwined in all industries.

We use and leverage technology in all other industries.

I am a teacher, and I teach kids tech skills that they can relate to.

I am always happy to see parents buying into coding for their kids.

(1) (Reply)

Between Web Development And Data Analysis, Which Should I Learn? / Help!!!What Can I Learn After Web Development As an undergrad of Comp Sci? / Russian Hacker DESTROYS ALL COMPUTERS On Indian Scammer's Network

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.