Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,065 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria (985 Views)

June12: Chief Femi Fani-kayode Delivers Powerful Message On Ethnic Nationalism / Ipob: Nigeria's Cluster Bomb Of Ethnic Nationalism / Democracy Day: Akeredolu Asks Nigerians To Shun Ethnic Nationalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by Kalakulu: 12:48pm On Nov 30, 2023
And twitter (X) is now the epicenter of this brewing nationalism that has seen a serious re-awakening of several ethnic groups in Nigeria who are now vehemently leaning towards conservative ideologies. Everyday I'm on X, I see various ethnic groups hosting spaces where they discuss ways to preserve their ethnic heritage etc, the Ronu conservatives do their own and talk about Yoruba first and other sociopolitical issues affecting Lagos etc, the Igbos now seem more united more than ever and have converged under the "Alaigbo youth summit" to push Igbo first agendas which touch majorly on massively on bringing back their investments and wealth across all regions/diaspora back to the SE, then there's the rising sentiments of Middle Belt people who are very vocal and are pushing back against the inclusion of their Christian demography into the Muslim North, they want the immediate emergence of a Middle Belt political identity independent from the "One North" charade. Then we have the core Muslim North caucuses holding their own spaces to discuss the future and issues of their sub-regions, and you could sense even the core Muslim North are getting frustrated with Nigeria and want something different. Then we have the various South South ethnic groups having their discussions; the Itsekiri's seem very pro-Yoruba in their leanings while the Edo/Benin and Urhobo axis just don't like the Itsekiri people due to the whole agelong row over the ownership of Warri.

All these various ethnic groups forming their own political identity on social media definitely portends one thing; which is that the never ending issues of Nigeria which is tribalism is now a ticking time bomb

May God help this nation cause we're so divided.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by goodnessme1(f): 12:53pm On Nov 30, 2023
Simple because we're not ONE and can never be ONE.

15 Likes

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by anungangampu: 1:02pm On Nov 30, 2023
Onanuga and FFK started it. I knew after that Saturday Governor elections, when people were still suprised for the attacks in Lagos and Onanuga post citing ethnic Supremacy. I knew the next 4yrs will have alot of bad blood between the two tribes. Not good at all. It was suppose to be between North vs South.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by Exclusive101: 1:18pm On Nov 30, 2023
Was that after the foolish Nnamdi Kanu declare pigs from Ipobland should Stine Kumuyi when he step in Ipobland or after ?!

As e be say your foolish head lie flat for ground make I use that question jolt your IG o papa dead brain make wake from ground he lie down.

anungangampu:
Onanuga and FFK started it. I knew after that Saturday Governor elections, poeple were still suprised for the attacks in Lagos and Onanuga post citing ethic Supremacy. I knew the next 4yrs will have alot of bad blood between the two tribes. Not good at all. Iy was suppose to be between North vs South.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by optionalY09: 1:37pm On Nov 30, 2023
It’s not a bad idea, let’s go back to our region and grow together as black family not as one country.

We don’t have to be one country to intermarry and coexist while respecting each other’s boundaries.

11 Likes

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 30, 2023
A dream grin
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by anungangampu: 2:03pm On Nov 30, 2023
Exclusive101:
Was that after the foolish Nnamdi Kanu declare pigs from Ipobland should Stine Kumuyi when he step in Ipobland or after ?!

As e be say your foolish head lie flat for ground make I use that question jolt your IG o papa dead brain make wake from ground he lie down.

Nnamdi Kanu has no political office. He is inconsequential.
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by SoNature(m): 3:22pm On Nov 30, 2023
Nigeria has never been united. However, I think the military managed our diversity better than democratic government because elections divide countries all over the world.

In fact, it takes a focused country to remain strong and united after elections. Then, when you elect a sound leader, he works hard to unite the country. Unfortunately, this hasn't been happening in Nigeria.

One thing is certain though: balkanization cannot happen in Nigeria. We will keep managing the shipwreck for centuries - something we have successfully done for the past one century after amalgamation.
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by HeatSeeker(m): 3:26pm On Nov 30, 2023
Kalakulu:
And twitter (X) is now the epicenter of this brewing nationalism that has seen a serious re-awakening of several ethnic groups in Nigeria who are now vehemently leaning towards conservative ideologies. Everyday I'm on X, I see various ethnic groups hosting spaces where they discuss ways to preserve their ethnic heritage etc, the Ronu conservatives do their own and talk about Yoruba first and other sociopolitical issues affecting Lagos etc, the Igbos now seem more united more than ever and have converged under the "Alaigbo youth summit" to push Igbo first agendas which touch majorly on massively on bringing back their investments and wealth across all regions/diaspora back to the SE, then there's the rising sentiments of Middle Belt people who are very vocal and are pushing back against the inclusion of their Christian demography into the Muslim North, they want the immediate emergence of a Middle Belt political identity independent from the "One North" charade. Then we have the core Muslim North caucuses holding their own spaces to discuss the future and issues of their sub-regions, and you could sense even the core Muslim North are getting frustrated with Nigeria and want something different. Then we have the various South South ethnic groups having their discussions; the Itsekiri's seem very pro-Yoruba in their leanings while the Edo/Benin and Urhobo axis just don't like the Itsekiri people due to the whole agelong row over the ownership of Warri.

All these various ethnic groups forming their own political identity on social media definitely portends one thing; which is that the never ending issues of Nigeria which is tribalism is now a ticking time bomb

Same is happening here on Nairaland and Seun does not want to do anything about it. I have suggested ideas on how to tackle it, but my submissions were ignored.
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by HeatSeeker(m): 3:27pm On Nov 30, 2023
SoNature:
Nigeria has never been united. However, I think the military managed our diversity better than democratic rule because elections divide countries all over the world.

In fact, it takes a focused country to remain strong and united after elections. Then, when you elect a sound leader, he works hard to unite the country. Unfortunately, this hasn't been happening in Nigeria.

One thing is certain though: balkanization cannot happen in Nigeria. We will keep managing the shipwreck for centuries - something we have successfully done for the past one century after amalgamation.

It will certainly happen one day.

3 Likes

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by LegendHero(m): 3:28pm On Nov 30, 2023
Even ethnic nationalism is happening all around the world.

The only people that will be immune to it are those group living on another person’s space that behave themselves. If you don’t behave yourself, you will be swept off by that nationalism.

6 Likes

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by SoNature(m): 3:28pm On Nov 30, 2023
HeatSeeker:

It will certainly happen one day.

Bros, you go wait tire...😂😂😂

Just get as much as you can get from Nigeria.

That's the mentality of the vested interests that have kept this convoluted system going.

Unfortunately, they are the most powerful and influential among us.
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by HeatSeeker(m): 3:31pm On Nov 30, 2023
SoNature:

Bros, you go wait tire...😂😂😂

Just get as much as you can get from Nigeria.

That's the mentality of the vested interests that have kept this convoluted system going.

Unfortunately, they are the most powerful and influential among us.

We are well on our way towards it. It is only a natter of years. Let's see how much damage will be done by this current president after his eight year rule. It will determine how quickly the end will come for Nigeria.
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by SoNature(m): 3:36pm On Nov 30, 2023
HeatSeeker:

Same is happening here on Nairaland and Seun does not want to do anything about it. I have suggested ideas on how to tackle it, but my submissions were ignored.

Nairaland thrives on tribalism. Notice that tribalistic threads that made the front page attract most comments and reactions.

Nairaland wants to maintain its spot as one of the most visited local platforms in Nigeria and keep getting companies to advertise here.

And I don't think the companies that run their ads here even read through the comments here to see how disgusting they are.
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by HeatSeeker(m): 3:39pm On Nov 30, 2023
SoNature:

Nairaland thrives on tribalism. Notice that tribalistic threads that made the front page attract most comments and reactions.

Nairaland wants to maintain its spot as one of the most visited local platforms in Nigeria and keep getting companies to advertise here.

And I don't think the companies that run their ads here even read through the comments here to see how disgusting they are.

Some don't care. It's just the stats on traffic they are concerned about.
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by Depriest2020: 4:21pm On Nov 30, 2023
Who then will save my tribe?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by Burob: 5:19pm On Nov 30, 2023
goodnessme1:
Simple because we're not ONE and can never be ONE.
Who fault say they born you for The Federal Republic of Nigeria?
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by demmie1: 5:19pm On Nov 30, 2023
Kalakulu:

Tell us which of your ancestor was there when Nigeria was formed? Even if we bring it closer to our age, which one of your people sat down together and agreed that this and this is how Nigeria should be structured, if you have no answer for the questions then why are you praying that God should help what was not formed by him.
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by Burob: 5:20pm On Nov 30, 2023
HeatSeeker:

We are well on our way towards it. It is only a natter of years. Let's see how much damage will be done by this current president after his eight year rule. It will determine how quickly the end will come for Nigeria.
Please Shut up, Confused Loser.

4 Likes

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by Burob: 5:22pm On Nov 30, 2023
demmie1:

Tell us which of your ancestor was there when Nigeria was formed? Even if we bring it closer to our age, which one of your people sat down together and agreed that this and this is how Nigeria should be structured, if you have no answer for the questions then why are you praying that God should help what was not formed by him.
Go & blame the people that decided to give birth to you in Nigeria, nobody forced them to conceive you in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by ElSudani: 5:28pm On Nov 30, 2023
We had a system which allowed each region to control their own affairs before it was killed by Ironsi. 200 million people of different backgrounds under a system that is neither communism nor federalism is nothing but chaos.
At the minimum we need to go back to proper federalism like it was in the first republic.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by HeatSeeker(m): 5:33pm On Nov 30, 2023
Burob:
Please Shut up, Confused Loser.

No, I won't shut up. If you have a contrary opinion express it like a civilised human being; not a baboon.
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by adamusuleiman1: 5:36pm On Nov 30, 2023
It's everywhere in the world though. Just yesterday, the Japanese were ronu-ing like some love to call it in Nigeria. They actually got millions of views, share, likes and support from all around the world.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by marlow1962(m): 5:38pm On Nov 30, 2023
HeatSeeker:

There's no need waiting after his eight year's rule, after two years body go tell everybody (mandate standers and none mandate standers). It's not up to a year and people are complaining, I love it so let's wait for a year and see how they can manage.
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by adamusuleiman1: 5:54pm On Nov 30, 2023
Kalakulu:

As per the Itsekiris. Alot of their culture and tradition is similar to the yorubas, so that's not surprising.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by flokii: 6:04pm On Nov 30, 2023
That is how it's meant to be.. different ethnicities existing within the confines of their space and respecting each other's boundaries and cultures.

Not the one Igbos will gather in Lagos and be destroying State properties all in the name of protest.. make we catch anyone of them doing protest in Lagos going forward, awon 'ati oko wa baleje'.. Envy won't let them think, it's how to destroy Yorubas years of ingenuiety they are on about.
Make we catch any of una papa in Lekki or wherever.. bi iku o ni pa yin.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by goodnessme1(f): 6:18pm On Nov 30, 2023
Burob:
Who fault say they born you for The Federal Republic of Nigeria?
Who's fault you no get se!nse?
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by TopBanter: 6:37pm On Nov 30, 2023
Kalakulu:

I have personally warned about the danger of “one Nigeria” OBJ, GEJ and Buhari all endured with.

We are horribly divided. We hate each other and nothing works in Nigeria today because all Nigerians are dedicated to their ethnic identity than to a patriotic zeal towards Nigeria.

The only way out is for a brave and dedicated President to enable full regional autonomy that will put us all in charge of our regional space.

What Nigerian leaders are doing is like forcing adults to eat meals they detest. Those adults will resent you for it. One day they will break the plate and stab you with it.

That is what is happening today with Nigerians angry leaders continue to lumber them with regressive, unprogressive and strange bedfellows.

No need for anything drastic. A good start would be to give Nigerian regions full control over their own security and resources. More autonomous freedom can be added with time and gradually.

What is sure is that we are sitting on a keg of gunpowder enduring with what is in place today when it is now crystal clear Nigerians are unhappy and frustrated with it meaning something must give soon.
Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by TopBanter: 6:53pm On Nov 30, 2023
ElSudani:
We had a system which allowed each region to control their own affairs before it was killed by Ironsi. 200 million people of different backgrounds under a system that is neither communism nor federalism is nothing but chaos.
At the minimum we need to go back to proper federalism like it was in the first republic.

100% correct and my summation also above.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by attackgat: 7:07pm On Nov 30, 2023
SoNature:
Nigeria has never been united. However, I think the military managed our diversity better than democratic government because elections divide countries all over the world.

You will keep managing the Shipwreck for centuries? Why? If our unity has not made us progress, what is the point? To be together for the sake of being together?

Nigeria should have disintegrated a long time ago. We have allowed an unworkable union that has only brought suffering to the vast majority to continue for no reason

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Nationalism Is Now On The Rise In Nigeria by yommen: 7:12pm On Nov 30, 2023
anungangampu:
Onanuga and FFK started it. I knew after that Saturday Governor elections, when people were still suprised for the attacks in Lagos and Onanuga post citing ethic Supremacy. I knew the next 4yrs will have alot of bad blood between the two tribes. Not good at all. It was suppose to be between North vs South.

You forgot the things Nnamdi Kanu said about Yorubas long time ago.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Money Printed: Buhari Vs Tinubu / Will There Be Election Or Not. / Ptdf, What About Others?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.