Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,645 members, 7,823,830 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

The Problem With Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Problem With Nigeria (2442 Views)

Buhari Attending UN Assembly With Nigeria’s Slimmest Delegation In Decades. / How to tackle the Problem of Corruption Cankerworm In Nigeria! / Releasing Chibok Girls Information Will Damage Ties With Nigeria –UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem With Nigeria by babasin(m): 1:34pm On Sep 15, 2007
Sanusi said Governor Gbenga Daniel has approved the release of N145 million for the prosecution of hajj operations by the board

This is why Nigeria will never developed.

2million will build a moderate-school, now imagine how many school 145million naira will build?

what a sad nation
grin cheesy grin

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article05
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by mazaje(m): 2:28pm On Sep 15, 2007
Hajj as i believe is one of the most fundamental ritual in islam, some people will prefer to go to hajj than obtain a university degree (this goes to show you how profoundly rooted this issue of hajj is to some moslems), its a very complicated issue cos it involves religion and faith. The lagos state govenment has done nothing wrong cos to some moslems that is the best thing the government can do for them at the moment.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by bluesky4(f): 2:38pm On Sep 15, 2007
If nigeria was a 100% muslim nation then i would understand, but its not. Why don't they use that money to benefit everyone?

They can use it to improve healthcare, build new schools, employ teachers?
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by mazaje(m): 3:09pm On Sep 15, 2007
christians too spend millions on pilgrimage, my state spent about 120 million niara last year on pilgirimage alone so its not only the moslems the christians too indulge in such activity.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by babasin(m): 1:50pm On Sep 16, 2007
Hajj as i believe is one of the most fundamental ritual in islam, some people will prefer to go to hajj than obtain a university degree (this goes to show you how profoundly rooted this issue of hajj is to some moslems), its a very complicated issue because it involves religion and faith

Religion is personal matter. If you believe until you go Mecca or isreal before you can go heaven fine for you: BUT DO IT with your own money!

Imagine US or UK using tax-payers money to send people to Vatican?

Until Nigerians stop this foolish thinking; we will country to beg for AID and our youngs die crossing the sea to europe.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by TawaTemi1(f): 4:44pm On Sep 19, 2007
The problems we are facing is not the money given but the means they disbursed the money.
Trust me, all the money is not meant for the Hajj, there is personal interest group that some percentage of the money will go to.
Our major probs is curbing corruption and management of the available resources by our self -enriched by all means leaders.
If the above can be tackled, maybe, our country would have been more developed.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by denex: 5:05pm On Sep 19, 2007
No Government in this world should spend a fine sponsoring Religious Pilgrimages.

Go to Saudi Arabia or Israel and check their country's account books. Those pilgrims are ordinary tourists adding to the GDP.

Governments must not sponsor Religious Pilgrimages at all because there are several religions existing among the populace.

Or is the Government also going to give me a N2 million for Pilgrimage to the sacred and high places of mother Osun.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by unicorn99: 8:15pm On Sep 19, 2007
Religion is a personal issue, u r not representing Nigeria or any state in "paradise" so, I strongly disagree with the government(s) and I see that as another good way to waste tax payers finances. I'm sure the Saudi and Isreali governments do not sponsor such despite reaping billions from the pilgrimages.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by hajifaty: 8:27pm On Sep 19, 2007
Well the money spent on religion activities are token amount of money from what nigeria as whole have. Chinese Govt also send pple to hajj despite most of them (govt official) are atheist. How govt should face the reality and responsibility on how to develop nigeria. I hope all these leaders we die togther one day becos since return of democracy thing are getting worst.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by denex: 9:15pm On Sep 19, 2007
Whether it is token or it is ten kobo, Government should stop sponsoring Religious Tourism. Tourism is a luxury that you engage in when you can afford it. Even some of this religions stated that these pilgrimages are not compulsory. Except you can afford them.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by kulaShaker(f): 9:00pm On Sep 22, 2007
@topic
the problem with Nigeria is Nigerians
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by babasin(m): 12:17am On Sep 23, 2007
the problem with Nigeria is Nigerians

yes but the elite nigerians, not ordinary nigerians who traumatized everyday.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Pain(m): 2:11am On Sep 23, 2007
Dont Worry. Remember The Prophesy of the USA?

Doomsday 4:17 "Nigeria Will Cease To Be A Nation in 15 Years" cheesy

I Wonder Why They Couldnt Predict the After Efx of the IraQi Invasion shocked (Suprise 9:11)

Anyway, The Point is that there are a lot more Problems in Nigeria than the Hajj Issue. The Pilgrimage is just an Opium to sooth the Pains of a Poverty Stricken Population (PSP). I bet you the demand for hajj ops would reduce in the event of an economic boom. I swear!!!

Add Religion to the List Too. Its One of the Problems. I Dont Mean the Worship of God Most High. I Mean Organized Swindling Religion. (I Hate OSR!!)
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Uche2nna(m): 2:20am On Sep 23, 2007
mazaje:

christians too spend millions on pilgrimage, my state spent about 120 million niara last year on pilgirimage alone so its not only the moslems the christians too indulge in such activity.

@ Mazaje
Plis wat state is dat?

@ topic
This is really sad. $145 mil angry Just like someone pointed out, U have the rite to believe that going on a pilgrimage will do something for U spiritually but plis let it be with ur own money. Imagine a country reeling under the pressure of infrastuctural and educational kwashiokor , yet one of the states can afford to throw away money just like dat.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by McKren(m): 9:06pm On Sep 23, 2007
Nigerian Government is busy financing other countries tourism projects all in the name of Religion, for how long shall we continue decieving ourselves in the name of Religion.

I dont support Government financing Pilgrimages whether Christain or Muslim, President Yaradua who has decided that in 2yr time his Government will no longer sponsor such is not stupid. Why Gbenga Daniel is sponsoring Hajj (if this is true), I dont understand. He is not even Muslim.

He is simply playing irrelevant politics with state money.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by BigB11(m): 11:47pm On Sep 23, 2007
Nigerian Government is busy financing other countries tourism projects all in the name of Religion

Extremely irrational statement.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by BigB11(m): 11:50pm On Sep 23, 2007
Yes, it sounds ridiculous and many are very right to be against this action; but we must be very careful and be aware that this action represents social and economic development. Moreover, Muslim is still one of the most popular religion in Nigeria.

It is not uncommon for nation to participate in this kind of gesture, it usually encourages unity and promotes social development.

Hence, do not let us crucify this man as yet; let us wait and see his true motive.

I guess, time will tell.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 24, 2007
It is not Islam forcing anyone to do this.

According to the fifth rule in Islam it states that

"Travelling to Mecca for pilgrimage for anybody who has the means"
And Holy Quran even states that if you are travelling to Mecca , you must provide what your family at home can live on until you are back,
So i see no reason why the Govenment should be sponsoring any body to Mecca when their are other things really affecting us.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by tonia2000(f): 3:20pm On Sep 25, 2007
The Problem with Nigeria, is YOU and ME.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 25, 2007
tonia2000:

The Problem with Nigeria, is YOU and ME.

NO! I did not steal government funds, did you?

Let us stop making sentimental excuses for executive malfeasance. It is time to hold the guilty accountable.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by osisi5: 5:39pm On Sep 25, 2007
Isn't it how warped the Nigerian mentality is?
A whole state will spend this amount to send someone to hajj while our people die of simple diseases and preventable ones too,no proper schools or hospitals.
Why can't those who must go round a black stone in Mecca,get there however they can?
Why must food be taken out of mouths of starving children to take them there.

are these leaders thinking through their backside?

BTW babasin,your link talks of a different story
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by osisi5: 5:43pm On Sep 25, 2007
Hajj as i believe is one of the most fundamental ritual in islam, some people will prefer to go to hajj than obtain a university degree (this goes to show you how profoundly rooted this issue of hajj is to some moslems), its a very complicated issue because it involves religion and faith. The lagos state govenment has done nothing wrong because to some moslems that is the best thing the government can do for them at the moment.

@mazaje,you just confimed that you are indeed an idiot.
The question is should our government take people to Hajj or even Jerusalem not it's importance in an individuals life!
Lagos state should also start paying for idols for it's worshippers since to some people that may be their ultimate goal in life.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Afam(m): 6:16pm On Sep 25, 2007
Mixing State with Religion is bad business.

Pilgrimage is not compulsory, if you can afford it, fine, if you can't sorry.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by laudate: 6:32pm On Sep 25, 2007
mazaje: Quote from: mazaje on September 15, 2007, 03:09 PM

Mazaje, if na play make you stop am o! angry

The governor that approved the expenditure of such an amount on pilgrimages, should be prosecuted by the EFCC. What a silly waste of money! How many schools did he build, how many hospitals did he upgrade or equip, how many roads were tarred, how much food was provided to the citizens, how effective was the waste disposal activity in that state and how many scholarships did he offer to indigent students before he decided to spend that colossal amount sponsoring people for pilgrimages, that won't add any value to the state's resources?

What is the name of that state by the way, eh? I want to know the profligate governor . . . .
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by osisi5: 1:34am On Sep 26, 2007
laudate:

The governor that approved the expenditure of such an amount on pilgrimages, should be prosecuted by the EFCC. What a silly waste of money! How many schools did he build, how many hospitals did he upgrade or equip, how many roads were tarred, how much food was provided to the citizens, how effective was the waste disposal activity in that state and how many scholarships did he offer to indigent students before he decided to spend that colossal amount sponsoring people for pilgrimages, that won't add any value to the state's resources?

What is the name of that state by the way, eh? I want to know the profligate governor . . . .

[b]The state of delusion.[/b]That's where he lives. grin
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by tonia2000(f): 8:14am On Sep 26, 2007
@davidylan
The fact is: The problem with Nigeria today is YOU and ME.Take it or leave it
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by babasin(m): 8:30am On Sep 26, 2007
What is the name of that state by the way, eh? I want to know the profligate governor . . .

for this post, the state is OGUN

The problem with Nigeria today is YOU and ME.

I disagree:
I have contributed immersenly to this country. I got nothing back. Even now I work in global firm still doing Nigeria proud and sending money back home while some bloody fools take money out of Nigeria.

Please open your-eyes.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by tonia2000(f): 8:56am On Sep 26, 2007
U guys are getting me wrong,The problem with ds country is YOU and ME-- we make ds country,4get about sentiments or bad leadership, one day it'l get to u or a member of ur family and by dat time shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by grafikdon: 9:04am On Sep 26, 2007
[/quote][quote author=laudate link=topic=79318.msg1530665#msg1530665 date=1190741574]

There we go again! Chasing shadows as usual. When these shameless imbeciles start languishing in jail. . .maybe, just maybe they will learn to look before they leap. . . but I guess I am asking too much.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by mazaje(m): 10:08am On Sep 26, 2007
@+osisi

The name of the state is Plateau state and the name of the governor at that time was micheal botmang, by the way i am not in support of the state governments that are taking people out on tourist vacation all in the name of pligrimage, all i am trying to point out is  that the nigerian people are so much in to religion that so many  moslems will prefer to go to hajj than have a tarred road passing through their streets, people are so into religion to the extent that pastors are glaringly stealing from people and yet the people never stop visiting them, people steal from their places of work and take to their churches(pastors),people prefer to give money to their churches than help a hungry man on the street, people prefer to give their money to the churches or moques than to invest in projects that will benefit them collectively as a people.

The issue of religion and faith is very profoundly rooted the average nigerian is so much into religion that he will sacrifice some of his social benefits for religious benefits, You might  be highly amazed  but if you care to find out you will discover that some moslems in lagos state prefer this  gesture by the lagos state government and will trade if for lets say a fully equiped hospital. it might sound ludicrious but thats the truth.

i was in nigerian recently and the way religion controls peoples life is beyond belief, religion comes first in everything people do back there its amusing but thats just the way it is, when you engage in discussion with people they will always let you know that religion is what is paramount in their lives, i fought with a lot of people because i tried to show them that their over zealousness about religion is what is preventing them from progressing, people don't see logic any more as far as a pastor or an imam says something thats how it stands any body that dissents is seen as an out cast that deserves no good in life. i don't want to write too much but every body here knows that religion plays a very very important role in nigeria, people will prefer to steal money and build churches and mosque than build schools,hospitals or develop on the decayed infasturucture. thats whats happening out there and i believe the status quo will remain for a very long time.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by tonia2000(f): 10:16am On Sep 26, 2007
@mazaje
Your statements are very true.But i am sure the status isn't permanent,definitely it will change,cos presently an average Nigerian wants to be Educated.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria by Buruntashi: 4:25pm On Sep 26, 2007
The gov is right on this one. The state have to help those poor moslems who otherwise would never see Mecca. Why should it be a preserve of the rich? I don't know any part of the bible that says we should go to Jerusalem, with moslems its different.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get Ibori Dead Or Alive, Jonathan Orders Onovo / Italian Mafia And Nigerian Connection; Aljazeera Documentary. / Nigeria Yet To Recover From Ibb's Sap- Labaran Maku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.