Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,930 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:00 AM

CBN Addresses Naira Shortage Concerns Amidst Increased Withdrawals - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Addresses Naira Shortage Concerns Amidst Increased Withdrawals (298 Views)

Nigerians Express Concerns Amidst Rumors Of Military Coup / Just In:cbn Addresses Reports Of Old Naira Notes Being Dispensed By Commercial B / NFIU Bans Cash Withdrawals From Govt Accounts Effective March (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Addresses Naira Shortage Concerns Amidst Increased Withdrawals by Mateco556: 1:29pm On Dec 11, 2023
In response to the growing concerns over reported shortages of naira notes in the country, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has stepped forward to address the situation, attributing it to heightened withdrawals by Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) and customer panic. The CBN’s Corporate Communications Department, along with CBN Governor Olayemi Michael Cardoso, has reassured the public that there is no actual shortage in currency supply and measures are in place to ensure sufficient cash flow for essential economic activities.

The central bank’s announcement comes as a direct response to the surge in significant cash withdrawals by financial institutions. CBN Governor Olayemi Michael Cardoso emphasized that............

https://ratecaptain.com/cbn-addresses-naira-shortage-concerns-amidst-increased-withdrawals/
Re: CBN Addresses Naira Shortage Concerns Amidst Increased Withdrawals by JOemmy(m): 2:20pm On Dec 11, 2023
The shortage might be due to the inflation in the country much cash for few goods and services while the cbn is not even printing more naira notes.

1 Like

Re: CBN Addresses Naira Shortage Concerns Amidst Increased Withdrawals by Godsonkemz(m): 3:11am On Dec 12, 2023
This is the worthy of front page but the moderators would prefer to push frivolities to fp.

By the way, yesterday I wanted to deposit a huge sum of cash before I got the information that there's shortage of cash. So I left with my money because I don't want what happened earlier this year to repeat.
Re: CBN Addresses Naira Shortage Concerns Amidst Increased Withdrawals by omowolewa: 6:01am On Dec 12, 2023
Another policy error
Re: CBN Addresses Naira Shortage Concerns Amidst Increased Withdrawals by RuddyFusion(m): 6:44am On Dec 12, 2023
Artificially created
Re: CBN Addresses Naira Shortage Concerns Amidst Increased Withdrawals by princemillla(m): 6:50am On Dec 12, 2023
JOemmy:
The shortage might be due to the inflation in the country much cash for few goods and services while the cbn is not even printing more naira notes.

Could be one of the reasons. I read some banks usually restrict customers from withdrawing desired amount.

People are averting what has happened in the recent years .
Re: CBN Addresses Naira Shortage Concerns Amidst Increased Withdrawals by LibertyRep: 6:56am On Dec 12, 2023
This is akin to the usual panic buying of fuel, provided CBN is truthful.
Unlike fuel that can't be stored for long in individual homes, money can be kept for as long as the person desires.
Where do we go from here?
Re: CBN Addresses Naira Shortage Concerns Amidst Increased Withdrawals by fineboynl(m): 7:03am On Dec 12, 2023
It’s inflation. Imagine Synriam malaria drugs of 1500 is now selling for 3500.

That’s means someone that usually carries 150k to market every week now needs about 350k cash.

Currency redenomination can only work after the economy have been fixed from a terrible inflation and it’s now stable, otherwise the inflation effect will also attack the new Redenomination currency.

(1) (Reply)

Fg Loan Application: Why Can't One Pass The No 2 Stage After Cac Upload? / VP Kashim Shettima Is The Enyi Ndigbo Of Igboland / I’m Aware Of Hardship Caused By Ongoing Reforms — Tinubu Says In Christmas Messa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.