Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,037 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

I Inherited N40b Debt – Fayemi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Inherited N40b Debt – Fayemi (667 Views)

Reps Angry As Dogara, Jibrin, Others Inject N40b Projects Into Budget / Fayemi, Sumaila And Some Other Entourage Of Buhari Take A Street Pix In US / Buhari Introduces His Grandchildren To Fayemi, Amaechi (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Inherited N40b Debt – Fayemi by asha80(m): 12:00am On Nov 01, 2011
I inherited N40b debt – Fayemi
On October 31, 2011 · In News

OLA AJAYI, IBADAN
GOVERNOR Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State has restated that his administration inherited a debt profile of N40billion from the past administration.

He said this Monday in Ibadan at a lecture organized by the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) to mark the 10th Anniversary of Premier FM, Ibadan which kicked off on Sunday.

The governor who was represented by the Commissioner for Information and Civic Oritentation, Mr. Funminiyi Afuye said the inherited debt was a big threat to the well being of the people of the state and consequently a threat to peace.

He therefore called for proactive steps to check corruption by fighting it in a just and fair manner.
This came as Senator Olufemi Lanlehin representing Oyo South in the National Assembly took exception to the way federalism is being practiced in the country.

Senator Lanlehin, who was the chairman of the occasion commented on the topic of the lecture entitled “Peace as Panacea for National Development saying “Federal Government has no business handling matters relating to agriculture, transportation, labour and so on. This should be the major concern of State and local governments because they have direct link with major players in those sectors.

He said as much as he would love to align with the call for the accommodation of state police to address the daunting challenges of insecurity across the country, he warned that there was need for caution in the area of procurement of arms and ammunition so that some of the governors don’t abuse the process in the long run”.

He cited an example saying that in the immediate past government in Nigeria, some state governors did not behave better than armed bandits adding that to leave arms in the hands of such people would be very dangerous.

Lanlehin lamented further that “In Nigeria today, peace is becoming elusive in virtually all the sectors of our national life because we have not come to terms with some realities. For instance, the 1999 constitution does not help matters in that it does not reflect the status of Nigeria as a diverse nation.

“Peace is usually a product of justice and fairness without which there can’t be progress and development. Peace cannot be achieved when the privileged few treat the majority with disdain, he s

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/i-inherited-n40b-debt-fayemi/
Re: I Inherited N40b Debt – Fayemi by jason123: 12:05am On Nov 01, 2011
SW PDP! Power to the politicians people!! This is the reason why the SW voted them out.
He made a valid point on the last paragraph. No one can justify why some geopolitical-zones have 7 states, others 6 and 5. This is an example of gross injustice we practice in Nigeria.
Re: I Inherited N40b Debt – Fayemi by asha80(m): 12:11am On Nov 01, 2011
jason123:

SW PDP! Power to the politicians people!! This is the reason why the SW voted them out.
He made a valid point on the last paragraph. No one can justify why some geopolitical-zones have 7 states, others 6 and 5. This is an example of gross injustice we practice in Nigeria.

it might not make much difference if we did not turn federalism on its head.where it would have an impact is representatives to national assembly
Re: I Inherited N40b Debt – Fayemi by jason123: 12:19am On Nov 01, 2011
asha 80:

it might not make much difference if we did not turn federalism on its head.where it would have an impact is representatives to national assembly
I assume you are referring to national policies and allocation of revenue. Even at that, it still makes "much" of a difference when we talk about elections, in Nigeria.
Asha 80, Nigeria cannot last with this sort of injustice. You know it, I know it and the so-called high and mighty know it.
Re: I Inherited N40b Debt – Fayemi by asha80(m): 12:26am On Nov 01, 2011
jason123:

I assume you are referring to national policies and allocation of revenue. Even at that, it still makes "much" of a difference when we talk about elections, in Nigeria.
Asha 80, Nigeria cannot last with this sort of injustice. You know it, I know it and the so-called high and mighty know it.

yes i mean the so called allocation of revenue from crude oil.

who does not know that the structure we are running is unsustainable?
Re: I Inherited N40b Debt – Fayemi by Nobody: 12:32am On Nov 01, 2011
Tsk tsk. I'm not even expecting anything to get done during Fayemi's admin. The state is indebted. I just hope he's not like the corrupted rest.
I still dont understand why previous Gov like Oni aren't made to pay up, or to atleast explain the expenses.
Ah, Nigeria is alas a big joke. Fresh h-air indeedeth.
Re: I Inherited N40b Debt – Fayemi by jason123: 12:44am On Nov 01, 2011
asha 80:

yes i mean the so called allocation of revenue from crude oil.

who does not know that the structure we are running is unsustainable?

This was discussed earlier this year when we talked about independent region (like your post you posted "+1" to on the other thread). You'll notice that we talked about the pros and cons to such an arrangement such as the temptation for the richest region to break away.
Anyway, pros vastly out-weigh the cons.
Re: I Inherited N40b Debt – Fayemi by asha80(m): 12:53am On Nov 01, 2011
jason123:

This was discussed earlier this year when we talked about independent region (like your post you posted "+1" to on the other thread). You'll notice that we talked about the pros and cons to such an arrangement such as the temptation for the richest region to break away.
Anyway, pros vastly out-weigh the cons.

there is a saying in my language translates as thus

'if you are holding me to the ground you are also holding yourself to the same ground'

the regions should be freed up to reach their potentials jare.we cannot continue on this part.with efficient management you will be suprised at the wealth the so called 'less endowed' regions can generate.
Re: I Inherited N40b Debt – Fayemi by jason123: 12:59am On Nov 01, 2011
asha 80:

there is a saying in my language translates as thus

'if you are holding me to the ground you are also holding yourself to the same ground'

the regions should be freed up to reach their potentials jare.we cannot continue on this part.with efficient management you will be suprised at the wealth the so called 'less endowed' regions can generate.

Wise words! Not that I'm against it but a united Nigeria with completely (at least 99% of the decision) independent regions has much more benefits than, lets say, the SS breaking away on her own. Because of the size, I see these oyibos coming in to simply take advantage of us by stroking ethnic tension. Now imagine a region with Edos, Itsekiris, Ijaws, Ilajes, Aniomas, Ikwerris, Ogonis, Ibibios, Efik etc --basically, Nigeria part two but much more worse. Hope you see my POV.

(1) (Reply)

Dreams Deferred / It Cost About 10 Cents (n16:50k) To Refine Liter Of Petrol / Re: Kano Under Attack: Multiple Bomb Blasts & Gunfights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.