Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Smart TV Advice - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Smart TV Advice (1617 Views)

Buy Smart Electronics in Abuja (Smart TV, Soundbars, Games) / Sold Samsung 40" FULL HD SMART TV (40 Inches). Sold / Samsung Smart Tv LED 40 Inches For Sale urgently 100k(SOLD ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smart TV Advice by IndexMode: 10:24am On Dec 12, 2023
I want to consider options of buying a smart TV or an ordinary TV with a larger screen size.

For example, buying a 50 inch smart TV or buying a 74 inch ordinary TV.
The price would be similar.

I wonder what one is really missing from all the features usually listed out as part of a smart TV. I will like to review user experience, if it's really worth the price or a bigger screen size is the best bet.

Can you rather use AMAZON FIRE tv STICK or such extensions to enjoy some benefits of a smart TV?
Re: Smart TV Advice by GRACEGLORY: 11:19pm On Dec 12, 2023
IndexMode:
I want to consider options of buying a smart TV or an ordinary TV with a larger screen size.

I wonder what one is really missing from all the features usually listed out as part of a smart TV. I will like to review user experience, if it's really worth the price or a bigger screen size is the best bet.

Can you rather use AMAZON FIRE tv STICK or such extensions to enjoy some benefits of a smart TV?

You can’t make a dummy tv smart using fire sticks, or what have you.

As touching size and quality: Qualitative factors are just as significant as size factors.

Here’s an example I’m sure you can relate with: https://www.nairaland.com/4280451/tvs-issues-discussions-here/34#117724130

1 Like

Re: Smart TV Advice by lakefist(m): 3:57am On Dec 13, 2023
IndexMode:

Smart TV is not worth it. Trust me.

Get a good screen FHD TV and get quality android TV box (xiaomi or MeCool), Apple TV or Amazon, just make sure it’s not the stick type.

Doing this will save you money and give you scalable features compared to smart TV.

You will thank me later.

6 Likes

Re: Smart TV Advice by BrickDevo: 9:50am On Dec 15, 2023
GRACEGLORY:

As touching size and quality: Qualitative factors are just as significant as size factors.

Here’s an example I’m sure you can relate with: https://www.nairaland.com/4280451/tvs-issues-discussions-here/34#117724130
He can actually, he should be looking for nothing less than a 2k Display 73inches tv, with HDMI, paired with a fire stick, android stick or box that is also not less than 2k resolution, with that everybody will think it's smart, unless you decide to tell them. Let me also add that HDR is overrated, ensure the contrast level is great, you don't need HDR effect.

1 Like

Re: Smart TV Advice by GRACEGLORY: 11:00am On Dec 15, 2023
BrickDevo:

He can actually, he should be looking for nothing less than a 2k Display 73inches tv, with HDMI, paired with a fire stick, android stick or box that is also not less than 2k resolution, with that everybody will think it's smart, unless you decide to tell them. Let me also add that HDR is overrated, ensure the contrast level is great, you don't need HDR effect.

Using smart TV platforms is simple.

The connectivity that comes with a smart TV is its primary benefit. Press a button to instantly access applications, Facebook, Netflix, and much more with seamless syncing. Because everything is already built-in, you don't need to fuss with attaching additional devices or connections. Using smart TV platforms is simple.

Smart devices and smart televisions come with a lot more functionality than just watching movies and and what have you. Some of these features include playing games, controlling smart speakers the Alexa, and accessing web services.

Smart TVs are prepared to play media from a range of sources.

You may think it’s great using a dummy tv with the streaming boxes, but a good time with a good smart tv will have you lose interest with the idea. I’ve had people come back after a couple of months to say, “Cyrus, I should have taken your advise.”

6 Likes

Re: Smart TV Advice by symbianDON(m): 12:44pm On Dec 15, 2023
Go for a Smart TV

1 Like

Re: Smart TV Advice by Montaque(m): 12:49pm On Dec 15, 2023
Dont compromise content for size. Go for Smart Tv. Your tv should be able to offer you more content. A bulky 75 inches that cant do much for you will soon bore you. Think long term, the world has moved on, move on with it

1 Like

Re: Smart TV Advice by BrickDevo: 1:02pm On Dec 15, 2023
GRACEGLORY:

Using smart TV platforms is simple.

The connectivity that comes with a smart TV is its primary benefit. Press a button to instantly access applications, Facebook, Netflix, and much more with seamless syncing. Because everything is already built-in, you don't need to fuss with attaching additional devices or connections. Using smart TV platforms is simple.

Smart devices and smart televisions come with a lot more functionality than just watching movies and and what have you. Some of these features include playing games, controlling smart speakers the Alexa, and accessing web services.

Smart TVs are prepared to play media from a range of sources.

You may think it’s great using a dummy tv with the streaming boxes, but a good time with a good smart tv will have you lose interest with the idea. I’ve had people come back after a couple of months to say, “Cyrus, I should have taken your advise.”
i disagree, however I believe it's better in a case of relocation, you may find it easier to move you smart tv easier than you may want to move your non smart tv along with the box.

But remember with smart tvs Os does not upgrade, limited storage space and no room for expansion, what you have is what you are stuck with.

With fire sticks, Roku tvs, android sticks and android box, you get large storage space and expandable memory options and the fun part is you can cross over to any platform you want. Smart tv has it's own perks but if you want more options, tv sticks and boxes are the way to go.
I have seen people with android smart tvs that still use Amazon fire sticks and Roku tv box, Because the person may wants to switch between Alexa and google voice from time to time. Stream contentd that maybe exclusive to one platform and not on the other.

If you can't stick to one Tv Os and want larger storage space, don't buy smart tvs, buy the conventional tv with all modern ports, then add tv sticks and boxes. You will be fine

2 Likes

Re: Smart TV Advice by ibawon(m): 1:07pm On Dec 15, 2023
My advice for you is to buy any other TV then buy Google TV dongle or Apple TV if you have the money. Please avoid Mi TV Box because the power plug gets fried and has no replacement. If you were to buy a Direct smart TV, in the long run they become too laggy.
Re: Smart TV Advice by davidluv(m): 1:15pm On Dec 15, 2023
[quote author=lakefist post=127455194]

Get a good screen FHD TV and get quality android TV box (xiaomi or MeCool), Apple TV or Amazon, just make sure it’s not the stick type.

Doing this will save you money and give you scalable features compared to smart TV.

You will thank me later.

Correct advice. That's what I did since 2019 and I have no regrets. My Mecool box is Google certified and asides the smart tv features, I enjoy gaming on it with my Bluetooth pad.

1 Like

Re: Smart TV Advice by BrickDevo: 1:24pm On Dec 15, 2023
Montaque:
Dont compromise content for size. Go for Smart Tv. Your tv should be able to offer you more content. A bulky 75 inches that cant do much for you will soon bore you. Think long term, the world has moved on, move on with it
So after being paired with android stick, Amazon fire stick, Roku tv, he will still be bored?

Smart Tv are conventional Tvs that have android Os features built it, other Os which are also built in to Tvs are Amazon Os, Firefox Os, Roku Os and Lg web Os,
Don't let marketers fool you with hdri10, clear sound and all highlighted features

Think of it that the smart Os and features the conventional Tvs don't have is what they put in the box, you are required to plug it in and enjoy smart features on your tv.

The only thing you should always consider is the build quality of your conventional Tv so as to ensure it supports the Os you want to pair it with
Re: Smart TV Advice by GRACEGLORY: 1:32pm On Dec 15, 2023
BrickDevo:
i disagree, however I believe it's better in a case of relocation, you may find it easier to move you smart tv easier than you may want to move your non smart tv along with the box.

But remember with smart tvs Os does not upgrade, limited storage space and no room for expansion, what you have is what you are stuck with.

With fire sticks, Roku tvs, android sticks and android box, you get large storage space and expandable memory options and the fun part is you can cross over to any platform you want. Smart tv has it's own perks but if you want more options, tv sticks and boxes are the way to go.
I have seen people with android smart tvs that still use Amazon fire sticks and Roku tv box, Because the person may wants to switch between Alexa and google voice from time to time. Stream contentd that maybe exclusive to one platform and not on the other.

If you can't stick to one Tv Os and want larger storage space, don't buy smart tvs, buy the conventional tv with all modern ports, then add tv sticks and boxes. You will be fine

Very well then, this isn’t a debate. I speak authoritatively as one in the field.
I’m certain we already both gave two different perspectives for readers to decide.

Thanks for your contribution

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Smart TV Advice by Montaque(m): 2:31pm On Dec 15, 2023
BrickDevo:

So after being paired with android stick, Amazon fire stick, Roku tv, he will still be bored?

Smart Tv are conventional Tvs that have android Os features built it, other Os which are also built in to Tvs are Amazon Os, Firefox Os, Roku Os and Lg web Os,
Don't let marketers fool you with hdri10, clear sound and all highlighted features

Think of it that the smart Os and features the conventional Tvs don't have is what they put in the box, you are required to plug it in and enjoy smart features on your tv.

The only thing you should always consider is the build quality of your conventional Tv so as to ensure it supports the Os you want to pair it with

Wouldn't you want to buy a tv that is inbuilt with the features (you admit to like). Why the extra expenses to buying android stick? Just buy a smart tv and rest
Re: Smart TV Advice by BrickDevo: 2:47pm On Dec 15, 2023
Montaque:

Wouldn't you want to buy a tv that is inbuilt with the features (you admit to like). Why the extra expenses to buying android stick? Just buy a smart tv and rest
Am saying it could work either way just as the Op is considering, also cheaper than buying a smart tv of over 55inches.
Re: Smart TV Advice by ibawon(m): 3:13pm On Dec 15, 2023
[quote author=davidluv post=127496933][/quote]
You see that Mi box avoid it like a plague. Any slight power surge will damage the box and the charger included, happen to me twice. Google tv dongle and apple TV or Amazon boxes are ones I know are very up to the task.
Re: Smart TV Advice by tivta(m): 3:15pm On Dec 15, 2023
Men, if you can really get a 2k or 4k non Smart TV at 75inchs get it.
The hype over smart TV is overrated, instead make sure the TV has HDR, HDMI 2.1 and other un upgradable hard wear features.
Smart TV boxes can always upgrade their softwares but most tv manufacturers force you to buy a new TV in other to get a major software update.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Smart TV Advice by L0wk3y(m): 6:12pm On Dec 15, 2023
IndexMode:

Save your money….Buy a very high quality monitor, then buy Amazon fire stick 4k, thank me later.
Re: Smart TV Advice by Sofistcatdmoron: 7:10pm On Dec 15, 2023
IndexMode:

dont listen to lakefist and the rest
the best tvs available in the market ar esmart tvs
go get a smart tv from sony, panasonic, sharp,
dont buy lg because most are fakes is difficult to see original lg smart tv
you can not compare the quality of an old dummy tv that you wann buy with a modern smart tv from sony etc
but if your money is not enough, then you can go with the options of converting a dummy tv using firestick,
Re: Smart TV Advice by aluko360(m): 8:52pm On Dec 15, 2023
lakefist:

You will thank me later.

You best option 100%
Re: Smart TV Advice by Sofistcatdmoron: 9:56pm On Dec 15, 2023
lakefist:

You will thank me later.
Why not get a standalone android tv that has everything in-built which is better it also offers screen mirroring , etc with ease, stop thinking like a poor man, , the same money you get and a good tv and the money for a quality box can get you an affordable standalone smart tv,
It's hard to see a 55 inch and above tv new model that is not smart nowadays
Re: Smart TV Advice by lakefist(m): 1:46am On Dec 16, 2023
Sofistcatdmoron:

Why not get a standalone android tv that has everything in-built which is better it also offers screen mirroring , etc with ease, stop thinking like a poor man, , the same money you get and a good tv and the money for a quality box can get you an affordable standalone smart tv,

lol. Who is thinking like a poor man here! It is only poor man who tries to buy unnecessary things to impress people.

There are many quality TVs out there without the smart feature that are cheaper than the smart ones. Being smart doesn’t mean they have quality. Afterall, every jack and Jill are adding android feature to TV calling it ‘smart’ with high price tag.

Getting an android tv box is the decision for me.

4 Likes

Re: Smart TV Advice by lakefist(m): 1:52am On Dec 16, 2023
Sofistcatdmoron:

There is limitation to stand alone android TV. Memory is low and there will be limitation to amount of apps you can get on it.

I am using xiaomi for office and MeCool for home trust me they are scalable and fast.
Re: Smart TV Advice by lakefist(m): 5:13am On Dec 16, 2023
[quote author=davidluv post=127496933][/quote]

That’s the scalability that you can’t find in smart TVs.

MeCool is actually good Infact I prefer it to my xiaomi cos of its 4GB RAM and 64GB storage.

1 Like

Re: Smart TV Advice by lakefist(m): 5:17am On Dec 16, 2023
Sofistcatdmoron:

…. And it is not hard to see non smart versions of smart TV.

Even if I buy smart TV today I still won’t use the smart feature, I would rather use my Android TV box on it.
Re: Smart TV Advice by BrickDevo: 5:45am On Dec 16, 2023
Sofistcatdmoron:

dont listen to lakefist and the rest
the best tvs available in the market ar esmart tvs
go get a smart tv from sony, panasonic, sharp,
dont buy lg because most are fakes is difficult to see original lg smart tv
you can not compare the quality of an old dummy tv that you wann buy with a modern smart tv from sony etc
but if your money is not enough, then you can go with the options of converting a dummy tv using firestick,
non smart TV are not old, they're just without smart features, Lg, Hisense, Samsung still make non-smart TVs

1 Like

Re: Smart TV Advice by Sofistcatdmoron: 9:11am On Dec 16, 2023
lakefist:

…. And it is not hard to see non smart versions of smart TV.

Even if I buy smart TV today I still won’t use the smart feature, I would rather use my Android TV box on it.
Because na second hand u dey go find am
Re: Smart TV Advice by lakefist(m): 1:21pm On Dec 16, 2023
BrickDevo:
non smart TV are not old, they're just without smart features, Lg, Hisense, Samsung still make non-smart TVs

You Dey mind that guy. He is on a public forum and proudly displaying his level of ignorance 😂😂😂
Re: Smart TV Advice by lakefist(m): 1:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
Sofistcatdmoron:

Because na second hand u dey go find am
I know people like you 😂. You don’t have anything but can quickly portray other People wrongly.
Re: Smart TV Advice by BrickDevo: 1:30pm On Dec 16, 2023
lakefist:

You Dey mind that guy. He is on a public forum and proudly displaying his level of ignorance 😂😂😂
cool
Re: Smart TV Advice by ibawon(m): 3:11pm On Dec 16, 2023
I am buying a Google TV. You would so hate it when these so called Smart TVs start to dey lagg Henn. 😡
Re: Smart TV Advice by Rhaspody(m): 5:20pm On Dec 16, 2023
Don't buy a FHD TV if you are buying 50 inches.
Re: Smart TV Advice by Ournolly: 6:08pm On Dec 16, 2023
GRACEGLORY:

Minus 4k or 8k resolution and 120hz refresh rate what other advantage does smart TV have over quality tv box? 120hz advantage is gaming otherwise 60hz is very much OK.

TV box offers much more like cloud gaming and sideloading Android apps.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hp Printer And Toner/ink Are Available Here / 20 Blackberrys For Sale - American Spec. / Brand New Laptops @ Gooood Price FROM 56k AND 67K

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.