Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Construct A Native Nigerian Language Term For Copt - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Construct A Native Nigerian Language Term For Copt (125 Views)

Nigerian Language Challenge. / What Is Your Language Term For 'Narcissist'? / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Construct A Native Nigerian Language Term For Copt by Pecuman: 2:18pm On Dec 15, 2023
Asking this for a writing/mapping project but from what I have been able to Gather, the Nigerian Yoruba language has developed its own variants for some Christian theological terms, specifically Serafu for Seraphim and Kerubu for Cherubim. So I decided to start the ask here.

A Coptic Christian is "ግብጸዌ", or "Gibitsewi" in Medieval Amharic from the Bohairic dialect of Coptic's "ⲁⲓⲅⲩⲡⲧⲓⲟⲛ" or "aiguption" which a Coptic pronunciation of Ancient Greek term for Egypt, "Aegyptus".

An Ethnic Copt on the other hand is called "ⲛⲓⲣⲉⲙⲛ̀ⲭⲏⲙⲓ" romanized "niremənkhēmi"(from the Ancient Egyptian Ethnonym) however Muslims(So Arabs around them) and non-Coptic Christians (at least until before the modern era) used the term Copt to refer specifically to Egyptian Christians. This is why the English term is an ethno-nym.

And it goes like this, "Copt" in English from "Qibt"/"Qubt" in Arabic from the Sahidic dialect of Coptic's "ⲕⲩⲡⲧⲁⲓⲟⲛ" or "kuptaion" again, froma Coptic pronunciation of Ancient Greek term for Egypt, "Aegyptus".

So if a Nigerian language of your choosing were to develop its own term for Coptic Christian like Amharic did, what would you construct it to be?

--

Now that's my asking about Coptic Christians, the Egypt one is that, you hear from time to time from Black people(I have read a post specifically written by a Fulani) that their people trace their origin to Egypt, some even claim from Canaan or Mesopotamia but ignoring the later two, one would assume that as such, they would have a native term for Egypt independent of the European languages words for Egypt. Whether you personally believe in those claims or not, doesn't matter to me but what term to you think a Nigerian group that traces its origin to Ancient Egypt, would call Ancient Egypt, whether it is a term you heard or one that like with what I request from the above section, constructed yourself.

(1) (Reply)

Setup And Installation Orbi Wifi Range Extender / Kumaoni Maang Tikka Design / The Culture Lounge - The Idoma Tribe Of Benue State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.