Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,172 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 (2810 Views)

[forum Guide Code ] Add Related Topic Before Comments In Wapka Like Bdwap24.com / Useful Wordpress Conditional Statements For Webmasters / All Blogger Conditional Tags (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by yawatide(f): 2:33pm On Nov 01, 2011
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201110/no_more_conditional_comments_in_ie10/

It’s not exactly news – it was announced in July in HTML5 Parsing in IE10 – but in case you missed it, Microsoft are removing support for conditional comments from IE10.

I don’t expect this to be a big deal. Actually I’m not sure it will have any impact at all, at least not for me. It’s already a rare thing to need to do something special for IE9.

One of Microsoft’s goals with IE10 is to make sure that it parses HTML the same as all other browsers, removing the need for markup hacks. Now, that’s not really where conditional comments have been used the most. The most common use is likely to feed IE-specific CSS files to older IE versions to keep the hacks out of your real CSS.

Since IE has been getting much better and less buggy support for CSS – including CSS3 – the need for CSS targeted at IE only has been greatly reduced. With a much wider acceptance of progressive enhancement among both developers and clients, it has become a lot more ok for some visual and sometimes functional details to differ between browsers.

So no, I very much doubt I’ll miss conditional comments. In the future we’ll just need to handle any critical differences in feature support or rendering in IE the same way we handle it with any other browser – progressive enhancement, feature detection, and accepting that there are differences. If all else fails, well, I guess we’ll have to resort to browser sniffing. I can’t remember the last time I did that for any of the other browsers, so hopefully it just won’t be necessary.
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by craziest: 4:28pm On Nov 01, 2011
If only MS could write a script that will delete IE less that 10 from all computers as they go online, then this would be a great news. last time i checked most PC still ran Xp with IE6
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by Nobody: 9:39pm On Nov 01, 2011
@crziest i spent hours today debugging an IE JS error script almost ran mad, IE has lots of JS incompatibility and DOM issues. still conditional comments won't be missed because the Navigator.appCode exist and if that can be circumvented, u can test for Microsoft specific features at startup and use it to give the appropriate css.
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by yawatide(f): 10:46pm On Nov 01, 2011
I happen to work for a company that has code like this (wrapped around the content code):
if IE7
<div id="ie7">
endif IE7

. . .

if IE7
</div>
endif IE7

We did this to avoid having to write all kinds of css files for each version. Now we just do #ie7 h1, for instance (of course we only use it where the differences are glaring). With IE10 ignoring it, we could be in hot soup, unless of course we can code a new version of the site b4 IE10 becomes stable enough to be suitable for prime time. Mo gbe! grin
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by dhtml1(m): 10:48pm On Nov 01, 2011
One thing i do know very well is that, if you code your layout and stuffs with proper CSS 2.1
Most of the time, you will not have cross-browser compatibility issues.  Then as for the case of padding and margin, it is better to play safe.

Rather than say
[div style="width:600px;padding:10px;"]

I will say:

[div style="width:600px;;"]

[div style="padding:10px;"]

The second one that uses div twice will scale through all the browsers without hitches. The first one will have different widths in different browsers - contact me if you dont know how that happens.

These days, i do play-safe css, and i test it in all the browsers i have on my system if necessary.
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by dhtml1(m): 10:50pm On Nov 01, 2011
Usually before i will say
[style]
.yawatide {width:600px;padding:10px;}
* .yawatide {width:610px;}
[/style]

<div class="yawatide">

Something like that. . . .know what i mean? i guess not!
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by yawatide(f): 11:22pm On Nov 01, 2011
dhtml:
For your case, I would use a reset.css file, call that one first, then follow that with your own defined css file, which you will use to override the zeroed out styles in the former.
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by dhtml1(m): 5:07am On Nov 02, 2011
Yeah yeah, that can work too. I am just saying that rather than reset, i will rather stay on a side that will work without resetting anything.
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by walcolm(m): 12:10pm On Nov 02, 2011
nerds
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by Nobody: 1:07pm On Nov 02, 2011
Wetin una dey talk about sef? And dis made frontpage, na wao!
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by yawatide(f): 1:27pm On Nov 02, 2011
valacious: Na bad belle go kill you tongue

Not all popular posts have to do with politics, or sex. There are actual intellectual conversations going on, on NL if you didn't know cool
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by Tdunjoye: 3:30pm On Nov 02, 2011
Thought i'm d only one left out. Dt get what u guys are actually talking about.
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by superior1: 4:12pm On Nov 02, 2011
Emi lawon eleyi nwi?. Somebody help!!! angry angry, (shake head and comot immediately)
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 02, 2011
Na wa o, wetin dese aliens dey do for our thread?
Re: No More Conditional Comments In Ie10 by yawatide(f): 4:50pm On Nov 02, 2011
Ask Seun o! Better threads dey for this board wey for enter first page. Na this one him or im algorithm come choose.

Mo gbe!

(1) (Reply)

Scam Alert! Is This Site a Scam? / Please Who Designed Naijapals / Forum Help Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.