Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,366 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) (31344 Views)

Why Is This Road Designed Like This? (Pictured) / Loko Oweto Bridge, Benue River At Night. Very Beautiful... (Pictured) / Man Pictured Near Edge Of Zimbabwe’s Victoria Falls Before 350-foot Death Drop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by Tunechi5(m): 11:17pm On Dec 17, 2023
I see this every where

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by osmosis101(m): 11:23pm On Dec 17, 2023
Its an ARAB LOAN with no or less interest

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by meum: 2:17am On Dec 18, 2023
Sukuk is a component of Islamic finance. It is a non interest based investment and financing instrument. Interest free. Dem no fit use the money sponsor shayo project, gambling etc.

100 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by GerogeI(m): 2:25am On Dec 18, 2023
SUKUK is what happens when your country stupidly elects a religious bigot, who happens to be from your neigbouring country as leader. He builds no roads, rather erects religious symbols all over the place with 0.5km asphalt. Then tries to build a railway to his real country. Hacks election to hand over to another foreigner. Its a country for cattle, an animal farm of sorts.

219 Likes 12 Shares

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by LordIsaac(m): 2:34am On Dec 18, 2023
GerogeI:
SUKUK is what happens when your country stupidly elects a religious bigot, who happens to be from your neigbouring country as leader. He builds no roads, rather erects religious symbols all over the place with 0.5km asphalt. Then tries to build a railway to his real country. Hacks election to hand over to another foreigner. It’s a country for cattle, an animal farm of sorts.
And the project was executed by a Southern Minister of Transportation!

105 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by LegendHero(m): 2:49am On Dec 18, 2023
SUKUK itself is an Arabic word.

The meaning is Islamic/shariah compliant bond.

So it’s just like saying you’re investing/getting into agreements that adheres to Islamic law.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by naptu2: 2:54am On Dec 18, 2023
Sukuk is basically an interest free bond. The Federal Government used the bonds as a cheaper way to finance infrastructure. Several roads were built with money from the issuance of sukuk bonds.

Those concrete structures and sign boards indicate that the road was built or reconstructed with money from the issuance of sukuk bonds. For example, the stretch of road from Marina through Independence Bridge and all the way to the end of Ahmadu Bello Way on Victoria Island was reconstructed with funds from sukuk bonds.

It's cheaper for government because there's no interest to pay.

105 Likes 10 Shares

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by naptu2: 3:06am On Dec 18, 2023
I have frequently plied Ahmadu Bello Way on Victoria Island since 2015 or 2016. The road was in a terrible state. There were potholes everywhere and people (especially danfo drivers) often drove dangerously in order to avoid them. I complained about the road on Nairaland.

Well, that road was one of the roads that was completely reconstructed by the Federal Government using funds from sukuk bonds. There are no potholes anymore.

DMO: Outer Marina road rehabilitation financed with Sukuk

The Debt Management Office (DMO) says the Outer Marina road rehabilitation is currently being funded with Sukuk.

A Sukuk is a sharia-compliant bond-like instruments used in Islamic finance. It involves a direct asset ownership interest, while bonds are indirect interest-bearing debt obligations.

The federal government had announced in July 2020 that 44 federal roads will be fixed with Sukuk funds raised in the bond market.

In the same month, Babatunde Fashola, minister of works and housing, received N162.557 billion Sukuk bond to facilitate the execution of major road projects across the six geo-political zones in Nigeria.

The breakdown of the Sukuk expenditure include: eight roads for north-central (N26.5 billion), eight roads for north-east (N30.5 billion), seven roads for north-west (N26.5 billion), five roads for south-east (N26 billion), six roads for south-west (N27.05 billion) and 10 roads for south-south (N26 billion).

The federal government further said N4 billion Sukuk funding was allocated to the Outer Marina road rehabilitation.

On Saturday, Fashola said the ongoing rehabilitation of the road was recording speed due to Sukuk funding.

In a tweet on Wednesday, DMO said: “DMO’s SUKUK funding is currently rehabilitating the Outer Marina Road which is a major road connecting Lagos Island to Victoria Island, Falomo and Ikoyi.

“While the Outer Marina Road is a major artery on its own, It will also be instrumental to easing the traffic in Lagos during the repair of Falomo Bridge.

“Thanks to the SUKUK, we are able to rebuild Nigeria one infrastructure at a time”.

DMO floated its first Sukuk fund for road infrastructure in 2017 with N100 billion, while the second was in 2018 with another N100 billion.

https://www.thecable.ng/dmo-outer-marina-road-rehabilitation-financed-with-sukuk

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by naptu2: 3:18am On Dec 18, 2023
Some of my 2019 posts about Ahmadu Bello Way (there are more, but these are the ones that I could find). Beginning in 2021, the Federal Government completely removed the surface and laid a new surface. They also rebuilt the gutters.

naptu2:
Impressed. They've filled the pothole at the Admiralty Way junction and you won't even know that there was a problem at that spot.

They's also taken care of most of the potholes and bumps on Five Cowrie Bridge.

However, Ahmadu Bello Way requires divine intervention.

naptu2:
It worked!

Someone called me yesterday and said that they were rehabilitating Ahmadu Bello Way and today Governor Sanwo-Olu went to that road to inspect the work that was done.

My next target is Community Road, Akoka. It has been submerged in flood waters.

naptu2:
So, they only fixed the portion of Ahmadu Bello Way that is close to Bonny Cantonment. The section that is opposite the Atlantic is even worse than it was a month ago.

naptu2:
Two things I forgot to mention above. There was a little bit of Traffic on Five Cowrie Bridge (heading into Victoria Island). That's unusual for a Saturday Afternoon. I don't know if it's because many people are using the expressway instead of the bridge.

They have finally fixed Ahmadu Bello Way! I don't mean that they have resurface it (like Bola Tinubu did), i mean that they have patched it (like Buba Marwa did), but it's a million times better than the way it was.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by naptu2: 3:24am On Dec 18, 2023
Video of the reconstructed Ahmadu Bello Way. I wish I could show you how bad it was before it was reconstructed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpKjScRY6H8?si=vtiNo4P52XJg3nBi

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by ican2020: 3:33am On Dec 18, 2023
If means Nigerians have failed Nigerians hence they are helping us to fixed our roads

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by naptu2: 3:35am On Dec 18, 2023
Complaints (on Twitter) about the potholes on Ahmadu Bello Way before it was reconstructed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by naptu2: 3:51am On Dec 18, 2023
Both Nigerians and non-Nigerians can subscribe to the sukuk bonds.

2 Likes

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by cenaman(m): 5:22am On Dec 18, 2023
I Nigeria an Islamic country?
Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by naptu2: 5:33am On Dec 18, 2023
cenaman:
I Nigeria an Islamic country?

What does that have to do with sukuk bonds (cheap finance for infrastructure)?

Is the United Kingdom an Islamic country?

This is the UK Government's sukuk bond offering.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-sovereign-sukuk-plcs-offering-circular--2

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by joseph1832(m): 6:00am On Dec 18, 2023
Nice to know. I've always wondered....

1 Like

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by joseph1832(m): 6:04am On Dec 18, 2023
naptu2:
Both Nigerians and non-Nigerians can subscribe to the sukuk bonds.
how?
Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by naptu2: 6:19am On Dec 18, 2023
joseph1832:
how?

DMO Offers N150bn Sukuk Bond For Subscription

Written by Mark Itsibor
2 months ago

The Debt Management Office (DMO) on Tuesday offered for subscription, Ijarah Sukuk valued at N150 billion.

According to a statement by the DMO, the Sukuk is issued by the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) Roads Sukuk Company PLC, on behalf of the federal government.

It said that the Sukuk were offered at N1,000 per unit, subject to a minimum subscription of N10,000 and in multiples of N1,000 thereafter.

“Rental payment is made half-yearly, and bullet repayment is done on the date of maturity.

“Proceeds will be used solely for the construction and rehabilitation of key road projects and bridges across the six geopolitical zones of the country,” the DMO said.

It added that the Ijarah Sukuk was backed by the full faith and credit of the federal government.

“It qualifies as securities in which trustees can invest under the Trustee Investment Act.

“Qualifies as government securities within the meaning of Company Income Tax Act and Personal Income Tax Act for tax exemption for pension funds among other investors.

“To be listed on the Nigerian Exchange Limited and FMDQ Securities Exchange Limited, ” it said.

It added that the Ijarah Sukuk was classified as a liquid asset by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and certified by the Financial Regulation Advisory Council of Experts of the CBN.

The Sukuk is a Sharia-compliant instrument that represents the interests of the owner in an asset or pool of assets.

It ensures that every financial activity is backed by real economic activity, and is usually linked to specific infrastructure projects.

https://leadership.ng/dmo-offers-n150bn-sukuk-bond-for-subscription/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by optionalY09: 6:24am On Dec 18, 2023
it means that they’ve bobo your papa
Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by lwisee: 6:32am On Dec 18, 2023
A loan without interest but SUKUK is an Islamic word.

1 Like

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by Tokskob2008: 6:49am On Dec 18, 2023
I have being meaning to find out what it actually meant too and it's been skipping my thoughts....

Funny thing is majority of the roads this loan was used for are now terribly bad even worse than it were before.

This guys collected loans for constructions only for them to loot it and use the leftover change to construct rubbish roads all round.

6 Likes

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by Houseofglam7(f): 7:06am On Dec 18, 2023
🥹
Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by talk2hb1(m): 7:58am On Dec 18, 2023
I am always amazed how some Nigerians displays their absolute Hatred and Disdain for Islam and Muslims, I am yet to understand is it out of ignorance or they are just being fagg0ts.

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by BreconHills(m): 8:09am On Dec 18, 2023
GerogeI:
SUKUK is what happens when your country stupidly elects a religious bigot, who happens to be from your neigbouring country as leader. He builds no roads, rather erects religious symbols all over the place with 0.5km asphalt. Then tries to build a railway to his real country. Hacks election to hand over to another foreigner. Its a country for cattle, an animal farm of sorts.

And your churches have reversionary asset loans in the law of Moses, (years of jubilee) and corporate philanthropy for the poor ( production wastage and edges of fields - e.g rounding up of numbers and delivery to the poor) and freedom for indentured servants but none of them thought to push these into mainstream finance and here you are complaining about a religion that turned their faith into $2.6 trillion and counting global business that has brought a lot of good into the world.

By the way I am a committed Christian but not one to hate on others for my faiths failures.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by joseph1832(m): 8:42am On Dec 18, 2023
Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by splendournoni: 8:58am On Dec 18, 2023
talk2hb1:
I am always amazed how some Nigerians displays their absolute Hatred and Disdain for Islam and Muslims, I am yet to understand is it out of ignorance or they are gays.

If you stay North and you see their ancestors in the middle east you will hate Islam...

Religion of Blood and terrorism
Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by talk2hb1(m): 9:12am On Dec 18, 2023
splendournoni:

If you stay North and you see their ancestors in the middle east you will hate Islam...

Religion of Blood and terrorism
Have you been to any of this place?
Or you are basing your information on the media report.
Get educated my brother

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by DrTee1(m): 9:15am On Dec 18, 2023
God bless SUKUK!

P.S: I am a Christian.

10 Likes

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by Tunechi5(m): 9:31am On Dec 18, 2023
naptu2:
Sukuk is basically an interest free bond. The Federal Government used the bonds as a cheaper way to finance infrastructure. Several roads were built with money from the issuance of sukuk bonds.

Those concrete structures indicate that the road was built or reconstructed with money from the issuance of sukuk bonds. For example, the stretch of road from Marina through Independence Bridge and all the way to the end of Ahmadu Bello Way on Victoria Island was reconstructed with funds from sukuk bonds.

It's cheaper for government because there's no interest to pay.
thanks brother you've explained alot ✌️

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured) by naptu2: 9:33am On Dec 18, 2023
Tunechi5:
thanks brother you've explained alot ✌️

My pleasure.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

12 Reasons Why Italy Is The Most Racist Nation In The Western World. / Workers Shut Down Lagos Airport, Travellers Stranded / Bayelsa Helicopter Crash: Chopper Exploded Before Crashing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.