Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega (479 Views)

Prof Attahiru Jega: Governance Under Buhari Has Been Very Poor & Disappointing / Attahiru Jega Gets JAMB Appointment / Attahiru Jega Joins PRP (Peoples Redemption Party) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by Tofax: 5:12am On Dec 18, 2023
Political mafias captured Nigeria’s election, government under Mahmood Yakubu; Citizens must rise now: Attahiru Jega

Professor Attahiru Jega on Saturday sounded a five-alarm warning to Nigerians, saying the country’s fundamental governing instruments have been hijacked by a pack of reckless political actors.

Mr Jega rallied Nigerians to immediately rise and recover control of the country or risk farming out their collective destiny to a clique of selfish individuals who lacked the requisite aptitude to salvage the country’s descent into a failed entity.

“Citizens have an obligation in good or bad times,” Mr Jega said. “They have key roles to play in order to ensure their country survives and good things happen to ordinary citizens.”

The admonition came when the former INEC chairman delivered a convocation keynote at Sa’adu Zungur State University, Bauchi, on Saturday afternoon, which was themed: ‘Safeguarding Nigeria’s future: Prioritising citizen’s welfare and security amidst challenges’.

Mr Jega, who led INEC from June 8, 2010, to June 30, 2015, said the electoral office had been hijacked under his success Mahmood Yakubu, who has continued to face immense public criticism for alleged corruption and manipulation of results in favour of Nigeria’s ruling All Progressives Congress.

Mr Yakubu hurriedly declared Bola Tinubu the winner of Nigeria’s 2023 presidential election, despite well-documented evidence of electoral fraud and intimidation. A top INEC contractor said Mr Tinubu indicated readiness to bribe Mr Yakubu and other top electoral officers ahead of the election, according to audio obtained by Peoples Gazette, although it was unclear whether the arrangement was implemented and how steep it filtered through the agency’s personnel chain.

Mr Tinubu’s involvement in drug operations that led to his forfeiture of over $460,000 to the United States in the 1990s, as well as his presentation of a dubious academic certificate to back his candidacy, also significantly aggravated opposition concerns over the process that brought him to Nigeria’s highest office.

Mr Tinubu did not deny presenting a forged certificate to INEC but said his drug penalty case was a civil arrangement that carried no criminal implications for his reputation.

Although poverty has continued to ravage Nigerians since he assumed office, Mr Tinubu has announced key policy changes in fiscal administration that he said would help mollify the crisis for the nation’s 200 million population. Several states have received direct federal support to help relax runaway transportation and commodity costs, although a large section of the country said implementation has been painfully slow.

Still, Mr Jega’s statement, while entirely silent on mentioning Mr Tinubu by name, appeared to echo a key prong of the criticism the Nigerian president has faced since assuming office six months ago. A presidential spokesman was asked to comment on the matter Saturday evening.

“Ultimately, the best way to safeguard Nigeria’s future and secure the welfare of citizens devoid of massive security challenges is to have elections with integrity through an electoral process that is not captured,” Mr Jega said. “Unfortunately, now we are seeing that it is captured by reckless politicians.”

“An election that is not captured will bring out quality people, and as they become elected public officials and representatives who have positive value orientation in governance processes, the institutions will harness societal resources and deliver good quality services,” he continued. “If the reckless people are capturing the political process, the electoral process and government, and people just sit and watch, obviously they will destroy the future for everybody.”

Mr Jega said Nigerians should push to take back control of the country and steer it towards a more federal system, as against the current unitary arrangement.

“Only in this way can the state have the requisite legitimacy, stability, competence and capacity as well as resourcefulness to effectively address the needs of the people and safeguard the future of our country,” he said. “Any state that fails to do this in the modern context will be considered a failed state.”

https://gazettengr.com/political-mafias-captured-nigerias-election-government-under-mahmood-yakubu-citizens-must-rise-now-attahiru-jega/

Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by 1TrippleCee: 5:17am On Dec 18, 2023
Says the Chief rigger that brought the nation to where it is presently

6 Likes

Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by cenaman(m): 5:24am On Dec 18, 2023
The idiot that impose Buhari on us (Nigerians)

3 Likes

Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by CooldipoMPS: 5:42am On Dec 18, 2023
It is easy to pass commentary from the sidelines. How many has been punished for the past election malpractices?

shocked
Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by Creamypie(m): 5:53am On Dec 18, 2023
Na the poor masses assist them to enter power. Some were given money. Some snatched boxes for them. Now na same masses dey carry 100# fufu for pocket when them dey go restaurant, so they Can quietly bring it out and add to the plate of food they are buying make belle fulk

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by Lovemeharder(f): 5:59am On Dec 18, 2023
sad
Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by GanagiBitrus: 6:17am On Dec 18, 2023
Mr Jega said Nigerians should push to take back control of the country and steer it towards a more federal system, as against the current unitary arrangement.
This may just be the way forward.
Let there be True Federalism & greater devolution of powers to the States & where every State controls its resources.
It will make many States to sit up & look inwards & strive to be self-sufficient.

But it's only our Leaders &not Nigerians that can initiate this.
Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by AbuTwins: 7:24am On Dec 18, 2023
Anyone that's ready to die should push forward!
Elections has come and gone!

The winner has won and the loser has lost woefully!
We forge ahead!
Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by Streetdoctor: 7:35am On Dec 18, 2023
Creamypie:
Na the poor masses assist them to enter power. Some were given money. Some snatched boxes for them. Now na same masses dey carry 100# fufu for pocket when so dey go restaurant, so they Can quietly bring it out and add to the plate of food they are buying
Exactly what I hv being telling people here. Poor deserves what they got, they collect token and at d end they will still be ones crying

1 Like

Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by swaggerjack: 7:40am On Dec 18, 2023
Nigeria under control of drug cartel mafia boss.

Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by Ofunaofu: 8:06am On Dec 18, 2023
Not just notorious narcotics drug trafficking political Mafia, but buccaneering power grabbers

1 Like

Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by slivertongue: 8:55am On Dec 18, 2023
the people's votes will overthrow soonest
Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by OmoFiditi: 8:59am On Dec 18, 2023
I will be leaving the country soon as a medical professional.

Nigerians can go ahead and kill themselves.

Poor Nigerians are the worst voters. I have stopped helping them.

Na me and my family and relatives I dey face now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by swaggerjack: 9:09am On Dec 18, 2023
OmoFiditi:
I will be leaving the country soon as a medical professional.

Nigerians can go ahead and kill themselves.

Poor Nigerians are the worst voters. I have stopped helping them.

Na me and my family and relatives I dey face now.

Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by Sevenworldpower(m): 9:11am On Dec 18, 2023
1TrippleCee:
Says the Chief rigger that brought the nation to where it is presently

Exactly..
Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by Brendaniel: 9:25am On Dec 18, 2023
AbuTwins:
Anyone that's ready to die should push forward!
Elections has come and gone!

The winner has won and the loser has lost woefully!
We forge ahead!

Then 2027, you rinse and repeat and the cycle continues, that is how you may live your entire lifetime in a country that went backwards throughout, then you leave a worse country for your children and children's children because of what?

Politics
Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by AbuTwins: 10:28am On Dec 18, 2023
Brendaniel:

Then 2027, you rinse and repeat and the cycle continues, that is how you may live your entire lifetime in a country that went backwards throughout, then you leave a worse country for your children and children's children because of what?

Politics

I am striving to be better than my parents and hopefully my kids will be better than me.

Despite the country's decline we'll make our millions and have peace of mind!

And when the country improves we'll also improve geometrically!
Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by Brendaniel: 10:35am On Dec 18, 2023
AbuTwins:

I am striving to be better than my parents and hopefully my kids will be better than me.

Despite the country's decline we'll make our millions and have peace of mind!

And when the country improves we'll also improve geometrically!

The question is not just about your own progress but the progress of your country, do you want your kids to be scared of going on road trips in their own country? Do you want them to be scared of going to their farm lands?

If people like the former CDS and successful diasporans who were not poor at their levels were killed by bandits just because they came to visit their country then you will know why it is very important that the progress of your country should be a top most priority for you.

We cannot in the name of politics be playing with the progress of our country....
Re: Political Mafias Captured Nigeria’s Election, Government -Attahiru Jega by swaggerjack: 5:49pm On Jan 14

(1) (Reply)

A Beautiful Nigerian Girl Cries out For Help. Stranded In Dubai. Video / BREAKING: Tinubu Honours Super Eagles With MON Award / Economic Crisis: Nigerians Tell Tinubu To Go!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.