Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,156 members, 7,835,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! (1652 Views)

Facility To Track Olajide Sowore's Murderers, Kidnappers Is Bad – Police / Man Caught On Camera Raping A Woman Inside Police Station. What's Going On?? / OOU Female Student Declared Missing After Going On A Date With Her Boyfriend. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 5:28am On Dec 18, 2023
Caveat: This is not an endorsement of social ills. But yo set the record straight. Because as a Nigeria, you are profiled as a potential internet scammer.

Nigeria is not as bad as the West puts it in the business of fraud. It's just that they're damn too shock how our brothers caught up so quickly with them in the business. They love Monopoly so much like dangote.

Read what happened in Singapore.
Singapore woman, 61, avoids losing RM1.18mil of life savings to scammers after Maybank officer intervenes

Nurul Amaleena, an assistant service manager, spotted red flags when a customer requested for a cashier’s order and seemed to be in a hurry.

SINGAPORE: Maybank Singapore has saved its customers nearly S$1 million (RM3.5mil) by intervening in scam cases in 2023.

The bank, which began keeping tabs on its scam intervention cases during the year with help from the Singapore Police Force, intervened in 14 cases from March to November, preventing the loss of S$975,800.

In one case, a Maybank staff member at its Jurong Point branch acted promptly after spotting red flags when a customer requested to issue a cashier’s order.

This prevented the customer from losing a total of S$338,000 (RM1.18 million), which comprised her life savings, to a government official impersonation scam.

The customer, a 61-year-old woman, had requested for a S$130,000 cashier’s order on Oct 25.

“When I attended to her, she seemed to be in a hurry when she applied for the cashier’s order under her own name,” 30-year-old Nurul Amaleena, an assistant service manager at the branch, told The Straits Times.

When Ms Amaleena probed further, the customer became agitated.

Noting the customer’s behaviour, as well as the large amount of funds being moved, Ms Amaleena then brought her to a private room to better understand her request.

After initially insisting on proceeding with the cashier’s order, the customer eventually revealed that she was following instructions from someone claiming to be a police inspector who told her she was a suspect in a money laundering case.

He had threatened to prosecute her family members if she did not comply.

The woman had already made a transfer to the “inspector” the previous day from another bank account, and had also applied for two other cashier orders from other banks, intending to send these to him.

After Ms Amaleena learnt this, she escalated the matter to Maybank’s digital banking fraud team, who advised the customer to encash two other cashier’s orders – which amounted to S$208,000 – made from two other local banks into her Maybank account, to safeguard the money.

The team also worked with the police’s Anti-Scam Centre to quickly freeze the scammer’s foreign bank account, which contained funds transferred the previous day, and notified the other banks involved to take the necessary measures to safeguard the customer’s account.

The victim subsequently lodged a police report on the matter.

In response to ST’s queries, Maybank said it “does not have clarity” on the amount and outcome of funds that were transferred to the scammer’s foreign bank account, citing the ongoing police investigation.

There were 22,339 scam cases reported in Singapore from January to June 2023, with victims losing a total of S$334.5 million.

Among the top 10 scam types, government official impersonation scams, which was the ninth most common scam in the first half of 2023, had the highest average loss at about $116,000 per victim.

Scammers stole an estimated S$1.4 trillion globally between August 2022 and August 2023, with victims in Singapore losing the most money on average, at US$4,031 (S$5,355) per victim. - The Straits Times/ANN
~ Culled from The Strait Times.

The most resilient and enduring attacks we experience on our gift card applications come from USA, Germany & Singapore!

1 Like

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by CooldipoMPS: 5:40am On Dec 18, 2023
What we suffer from more is bad press and poor representation by our so called leaders. We are not the worst people in the world. Do you
need a powerbank for laptop? Despite all the hardship we have faced, an average Nigeria is very kind hearted!

3 Likes

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Lovemeharder(f): 5:55am On Dec 18, 2023
Nigerian's are trying.

1 Like

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 7:25am On Dec 18, 2023
Bad press I tell you, and encouraged by two of the three major tribes in Nigeria, in the quest to compete or out do each other in dissing each other!

CooldipoMPS:
What we suffer from more is bad press and poor representation by our so called leaders. We are not the worst people in the world. Do you
need a powerbank for laptop? Despite all the hardship we have faced, an average Nigeria is very kind hearted!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 7:25am On Dec 18, 2023
Seriously. We are real niggas with kind hearts!

Lovemeharder:
Nigerian's are trying.
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 7:27am On Dec 18, 2023
I can imagine if it was a Nigerian or a black person that had the audacity to walk into a bank and tried to fraudulently cash out such huge amount of money, FBI and and the Western Bretton Woods funded Media will scream it to high heavens....
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 7:32am On Dec 18, 2023
Recently I&M bank in Rwanda was hit with a bank Fraud where more than 8milion dollars were stolen in Visa card related Fraud. All Rwandese.

I can imagine if a Nigerian was involved, they would have downplay the other culprits, just like we love to downplayed other coupists in 1966 and call it an "IGBO COUP", and focus on only Nigerians. How it was a Nigerian that mastermind the fraud. How this and that but,

Thankfully, no Nigerian was involved and all of the Rwandese were caught. An insider related tip off though.

1 Like

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Okoroawusa: 7:34am On Dec 18, 2023
Bigkoko:
I can imagine if it was a Nigerian or a black person that had the audacity to walk into a bank and tried to fraudulently cash out such huge amount of money, FBI and and the Western Bretton Woods funded Media will scream it to high heavens....

You read but didn't comprehend. What's your result in English Language in WAEC?

5 Likes

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 7:35am On Dec 18, 2023
Imagine small business I dey try build, naim white niggas from Singapore, USA and Germany dey try hack!

I have shut it down for routine maintenance and proper upgrade with more Firewall.
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by IVORY2009(m): 7:41am On Dec 18, 2023
[s]
Bigkoko:
Caveat: This is not an endorsement of social ills. But yo set the record straight. Because as a Nigeria, you are profiled as a potential internet scammer.

Nigeria is not as bad as the West puts it in the business of fraud. It's just that they're damn too shock how our brothers caught up so quickly with them in the business. They love Monopoly so much like dangote.

Read what happened in Singapore.
Singapore woman, 61, avoids losing RM1.18mil of life savings to scammers after Maybank officer intervenes

Nurul Amaleena, an assistant service manager, spotted red flags when a customer requested for a cashier’s order and seemed to be in a hurry.

SINGAPORE: Maybank Singapore has saved its customers nearly S$1 million (RM3.5mil) by intervening in scam cases in 2023.

The bank, which began keeping tabs on its scam intervention cases during the year with help from the Singapore Police Force, intervened in 14 cases from March to November, preventing the loss of S$975,800.

In one case, a Maybank staff member at its Jurong Point branch acted promptly after spotting red flags when a customer requested to issue a cashier’s order.

This prevented the customer from losing a total of S$338,000 (RM1.18 million), which comprised her life savings, to a government official impersonation scam.

The customer, a 61-year-old woman, had requested for a S$130,000 cashier’s order on Oct 25.

“When I attended to her, she seemed to be in a hurry when she applied for the cashier’s order under her own name,” 30-year-old Nurul Amaleena, an assistant service manager at the branch, told The Straits Times.

When Ms Amaleena probed further, the customer became agitated.

Noting the customer’s behaviour, as well as the large amount of funds being moved, Ms Amaleena then brought her to a private room to better understand her request.

After initially insisting on proceeding with the cashier’s order, the customer eventually revealed that she was following instructions from someone claiming to be a police inspector who told her she was a suspect in a money laundering case.

He had threatened to prosecute her family members if she did not comply.

The woman had already made a transfer to the “inspector” the previous day from another bank account, and had also applied for two other cashier orders from other banks, intending to send these to him.

After Ms Amaleena learnt this, she escalated the matter to Maybank’s digital banking fraud team, who advised the customer to encash two other cashier’s orders – which amounted to S$208,000 – made from two other local banks into her Maybank account, to safeguard the money.

The team also worked with the police’s Anti-Scam Centre to quickly freeze the scammer’s foreign bank account, which contained funds transferred the previous day, and notified the other banks involved to take the necessary measures to safeguard the customer’s account.

The victim subsequently lodged a police report on the matter.

In response to ST’s queries, Maybank said it “does not have clarity” on the amount and outcome of funds that were transferred to the scammer’s foreign bank account, citing the ongoing police investigation.

There were 22,339 scam cases reported in Singapore from January to June 2023, with victims losing a total of S$334.5 million.

Among the top 10 scam types, government official impersonation scams, which was the ninth most common scam in the first half of 2023, had the highest average loss at about $116,000 per victim.

Scammers stole an estimated S$1.4 trillion globally between August 2022 and August 2023, with victims in Singapore losing the most money on average, at US$4,031 (S$5,355) per victim. - The Straits Times/ANN
~ Culled from The Strait Times.

The most resilient and enduring attacks we experience on our gift card applications come from USA, Germany & Singapore!
[/s]

Don't be so stupid, attackers can change IPs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 7:42am On Dec 18, 2023
You just can't change.

No be every time you must comment. So shamelessly exhibiting your foolishness online, while hiding under a faceless forum. Must everything be seen from APC & LP, Igbo vs Yoruba or from the prism of politics?

Imagine a fool like you, I don't really care if you are an old or young one though, having the temerity to shoot insults this hot afternoon.

Anyway, na faceless forum. You maggots are some of the reasons why politicians wish to regulate SM.

The name says it all: Okoroawusa. Named after the beacon of Eberiberism in Imo State.

Okoroawusa:

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 7:47am On Dec 18, 2023
Yeah oga of stupidity!

I know you have the talents, tell it all how you and your friends change IPs. Onukwu!

And I guess, the old lady that walked into the bank in Singapore also changed her IPs... hahahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 or she's cloned as a Singaporean?

Ndi don't be stupid, while they exhume stupidity in their bid to rush and comment. No be every time you must comment. Sometimes try waka pass,you no go die.

IVORY2009:
[s][/s]

Don't be so stupid, attackers can change IPs
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by IVORY2009(m): 7:59am On Dec 18, 2023
Bigkoko:
Yeah oga of stupidity!

I know you have the talents, tell it all how you and your friends change IPs. Onukwu!

And I guess, the old lady that walked into the bank in Singapore also changed her IPs... hahahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 or she's cloned as a Singaporean?

Ndi don't be stupid, while they exhume stupidity in their bid to rush and comment. No be every time you must comment. Sometimes try waka pass,you no go die.

You must be a stupid poster, can you listen to yourself? You quoted with so many senerios where different scam happened/about to happen and I am here to correct you as a security expert, that attackers can change IPs in some of the examples you quoted/and even with a cloudflare picture attached, showing the attackers country and here you are trying to makes excuses as usual.
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 8:06am On Dec 18, 2023
Security expert ko, expert security ni..... Oye ara on the prowl! Hahahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ndi correct you..... So as an expert security or security expert, which one, have you not heard of Cloud Protocol that extract your real IP ads regardless of whether you mask it or not. You think running a Gift Card service is based on that tuketuke websites una dey build?

Na una go first try show up, yet, when you weigh them, nothing! Simply keep quiet on what you know not, or fully abreast with facts. It's comments that yours tha make it look like all scams emanate from Nigerians whereas Nigerians only accounts for less than 2% scams worldwide.

As a Business & Financial Solution provider, part of my work description is to study these things internationally. So keep quiet, where experts dey talk.

IVORY2009:

You must be a stupid poster, can you listen to yourself? You quoted with so many senerios where different scam happened/about to happen and I am here to correct you as a security expert, that attackers can change IPs in some of the examples you quoted/and even with a cloudflare picture attached, showing the attackers country and here you are trying to makes excuses as usual.
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by IVORY2009(m): 8:09am On Dec 18, 2023
Bigkoko:
Security expert ko, expert security ni..... Oye ara on the prowl! Hahahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ndi correct you..... So as an expert security or security expert, which one, have you not heard of Cloud Protocol that extract your real IP ads regardless of whether you mask it or not. You think running a Gift Card service is based on that tuketuke websites una dey build?

Na una go first try show up, yet, when you weigh them, nothing! Simply keep quiet on what you know not, or fully abreast with facts. It's comments that yours tha make it look like all scams emanate from Nigerians whereas Nigerians only accounts for less than 2% scams worldwide.

You are just making a fool of yourself, it's so unfortunate, I challenge you to backup each senerios with the link, so that we can read and analyse, I know you will not be able to grin
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 8:15am On Dec 18, 2023
Challenge who? I be like Asiwaju for your eyes?

Which link is this one talking off? Go back to bed, so that that hang over will clear properly!

Nigerians and dramas Sha.... This one, only G-d knows wetin he smoke or drink yesterday, come dey talk trash today. Bruh, drink or smoke no be highness. Sometimes when you get offer of awoof, say no, especially on Sundays....lol

IVORY2009:

You are just making a fool of yourself, it's so unfortunate, I challenge you to backup each senerios with the link, so that we can read and analyse, I know you will not be able to grin
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 8:17am On Dec 18, 2023
Instead of this ozwor to agree say he never heard of Cloud systems that bust IP masks, he dey here to exhibit his shallowness while claiming Internet Security Expert. Go and get more certifications
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by IVORY2009(m): 8:21am On Dec 18, 2023
Bigkoko:
Challenge who? I be like Asiwaju for your eyes?

Which link is this one talking off? Go back to bed, so that that hang over will clear properly!

Nigerians and dramas Sha.... This one, only G-d knows wetin he smoke or drink yesterday, come dey talk trash today. Bruh, drink or smoke no be highness. Sometimes when you get offer of awoof, say no, especially on Sundays....lol

You see, all this are just make-up stories, now you have be challenged to backup your lies with the 🔗 links where you extracted the information from, here you are trying to cover up, I dey laugh, Nigerian man in Kenya. grin
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 8:29am On Dec 18, 2023
Link blast you there.... So lazy and full of shit at the same time.

Awon security expert...lol. Common to pick key words and search on Google, this werey dey find Link? grin grin grin grin Mmaya awoof at work!

And he was so fast to calls himself a Security Expert? Security Expert ko, expert security ni.... He can't even search the names of the persons, the name of the bank, the Media herein mentioned etc on Google search engine...

Abeg, carry foolishness go elsewhere. I won't reply you henceforth. Oye ara.

IVORY2009:

You see, all this are just make-up stories, now you have be challenged to backup your lies with the 🔗 links where you extracted the information from, here you are trying to cover up, I dey laugh, Nigerian man in Kenya. grin
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Natbrowny: 8:47am On Dec 18, 2023
When it comes to fraud.
NIGERIANS ARE LEARNERS.

Just looking for people to defraud with coins here and there.

Some people outside naija dey defraud COUNTRIES.
dey dnt deal with individual. Dey defraud financial institutions, country reserves etc.

One fraudster here will have 1 laptop and 3 fones and 5m networth. We no go hear word again

1 Like

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by IVORY2009(m): 8:49am On Dec 18, 2023
Bigkoko:
Link blast you there.... So lazy and full of shit at the same time.

Awon security expert...lol. Common to pick key words and search on Google, this werey dey find Link? grin grin grin grin Mmaya awoof at work!

And he was so fast to calls himself a Security Expert? Security Expert ko, expert security ni.... He can't even search the names of the persons, the name of the bank, the Media herein mentioned etc on Google search engine...

Abeg, carry foolishness go elsewhere. I won't reply you henceforth. Oye ara.

In other words, I will like to 🫴 include that these are all make-up stories.
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 9:43am On Dec 18, 2023
Well said.

The West and fraud na 5&6. Eye witness experience. To the point I started thinking Nigerians were wrongly profiled. Well, they deserve it though. Imagine small pick Hush puppy do, he no let real millionaires in dollars see road.

Come Local, small $2k they pick, dog chain, sagging pants, five phones, painted hair, etc go follow am..... Whereas their mate for India, Malaysia, Philippines dey set up full time control center with employees running the show. But guess who they blame ? The loud mouth Nigerians who shows off at any and every turn.

Natbrowny:
When it comes to fraud.
NIGERIANS ARE LEARNERS.

Just looking for people to defraud with coins here and there.

Some people outside naija dey defraud COUNTRIES.
dey dnt deal with individual. Dey defraud financial institutions, country reserves etc.

One fraudster here will have 1 laptop and 3 fones and 5m networth. We no go hear word again
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Natbrowny: 9:49am On Dec 18, 2023
Bigkoko:
Well said.

The West and fraud na 5&6. Eye witness experience. To the point I started thinking Nigerians were wrongly profiled. Well, they deserve it though. Imagine small pick Hush puppy do, he no let real millionaires in dollars see road.

Come Local, small $2k they pick, dog chain, sagging pants, five phones, painted hair, etc go follow am..... Whereas their mate for India, Malaysia, Philippines dey set up full time control center with employees running the show. But guess who they blame ? The loud mouth Nigerians who shows off at any and every turn.

Gbamsolutely. The showoffs na turn off. And its easier to blame them coz as u said. Small change.

U get big ride u cant maintain and all sorts.

I'll dig up a name soon.. Guy defrauded the whole aviation industry. Steady bar. And he only owns a motorbike. Simple one.. He was never a suspect.

Simple house, one bike and plays basketball.
He works as a bartender.

He was only caught and released with ineffective evidence. Still on FBI watch list. Nigg was topnotch. Still balling

Sources said he has links with Escobar. But no single pictorial evidence 2 prove that claim

People dey wey maaaaad. Forget Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 9:59am On Dec 18, 2023
Oil dey your head bruh. Low key should be taught in Nigerian schools. Drugs them no push reach South American, Mexicans or even Americans, yet na them them dey catch any how. Na waohh

Natbrowny:

Gbamsolutely. The showoffs na turn off. And its easier to blame them coz as u said. Small change.

U get big ride u cant maintain and all sorts.

I'll dig up a name soon.. Guy defrauded the whole aviation industry. Steady bar. And he only owns a motorbike. Simple one.. He was never a suspect.

Simple house, one bike and plays basketball.
He works as a bartender.

He was only caught and released with ineffective evidence. Still on FBI watch list. Nigg was topnotch. Still balling

Sources said he has links with Escobar. But no single pictorial evidence 2 prove that claim

People dey wey maaaaad. Forget Nigerians.
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by wolesmile(m): 11:45am On Dec 18, 2023
Okoroawusa:

Honestly, I was about telling him to go read slowly again. And if he still doesn't understand, to tell someone nearby to explain to him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by wolesmile(m): 11:47am On Dec 18, 2023
Bigkoko:

Oga, can you just read slowly again and try to assimilate?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 12:56pm On Dec 18, 2023
I like the words on your signature..... AI, eyes of the gods

wolesmile:

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Bigkoko: 12:57pm On Dec 18, 2023
I like the words on your signature, AI eyes of the gods.
We're getting closer to when the gods shall see each person as they are!

wolesmile:

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by LooneyLester: 3:02pm On Dec 18, 2023
Yahoo boys are dumbos

Nigerian cyber sec is trash

It's nothing even hard for a noob to defecate on the DSS website
Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by Gadafii: 5:55pm On Dec 18, 2023
Nigerian police go burst location pack boys and label them internet fraudsters without any investigation, do photo shoots for them and post the pictures online just to appear like they are irking effectively, meanwhile behind closed doors they will ask these accused to pay hundreds of thousands of naira to bail themselves, seize their cars, gadgets etc and let them go, that’s the end of the case but the cycle continues

The real fraudsters are out there balking hard, usin police escorts, chilling with politicians and VIPs

1 Like

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by omojoibo: 10:36am On Dec 21, 2023
FRAUD: a way of life in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Fraud? When You Think Nigeria Is Bad, Check What's Going On Elsewhere! by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 12:15pm On Dec 21, 2023
Palmpaydata.com is scam website, beware

Don't even attempt to buy data or trade there

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Couple And Their 6yr Old Kids Found With Drugs,wife Had Hers In Private Part / (photos) Dora Akunyili Where Are U?? :'( / Recession: 7 Nigerian States With Unbelievably High Suicide Cases – See Numbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.