Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike (5177 Views)

Bandits Attack Zurmi Emir’s Palace, Kill 3 / Akwa Ibom Insecurity: Ibeno Under Siege As Eket, Esit Eket Strike / Bello Turji: N20m Cash Zamfara Community Paid To Bandit Leader To Avoid Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by iwaeda: 7:52am On Dec 18, 2023
Residents of Zurmi town in Zurmi Local Government Area of Zamfara State have cried out for help against persistent attacks by bandits on the village and its environs.

The assailants had, within the last one week, invaded the town four times, killed three persons, abducted 16 others and burnt a police outpost and two military operational vehicles.

The attacks, Daily Trust learnt, were led by two notorious bandits’ leaders, Sani Black and Sani Dan Karami.

Penultimate Saturday, the bandits attacked Nasarawar Zurmi, on the outskirts of Zurmi town, killed one person, abducted three others and razed a police outpost. The attackers returned to the town around 9pm on Monday, but residents alerted the soldiers who rushed to the area.

Nine residents were said to have been kidnapped; while another person, who resisted being abducted, was killed. The bandits again returned to the town on Tuesday, but were engaged by the soldiers in a gun duel, which residents said, lasted for two-and-a-half hours.

A resident, Auwalu Musa, said the bandits returned to the village yesterday again and kidnapped four women.

Why bandits are attacking us – Locals

A resident, Malam Aliyu Zurmi (not real name), said the bandits were attacking the community because the soldiers recovered stolen animals from them sometime ago.

Zurmi said: “The soldiers had, sometime ago, recovered a large number of animals from the bandits and it was suspected that the animals were recovered from Sani Black’s gang. The bandits’ leader was not happy with the development, hence, planned for Saturday and Monday’s attacks. So, we can understand Black was on a revenge mission.

“Now, he has kidnapped 12 people. I can tell you, only God knows how much the guy will collect from their families as ransom, especially now that we have harvested our farm produce. They know when we have money and when we don’t have it.”

Another resident, Idris Zurmi (Not real name), said: “We have all harvested our crops and stocked them in safe places. So, the bandits know that even if we do not have cash at hand, we have something that we can sell to pay ransom and that is why they are pursuing us to get money.”

Residents narrate ordeals

Malam Musa Bello, who narrowly escaped from the bandits during Monday’s attack, said: “I was at home when the bandits invaded Road No 17. I was lucky that my door was locked. While they were trying to break my door and gain access into the house, I called one of the soldiers on the phone who mobilised his colleagues to my house. So, when the bandits saw the soldiers coming towards my house, they (bandits) ran away. However, they succeeded in kidnapping my neighbour, Malam Nasiru, whom they met outside his house.

“Although the military war aircraft was deployed to Zurmi on Monday, there is no way the military can bomb the bandits because they (bandits) have already taken shields with locals inside their houses and if the aircraft strikes; only God knows the number of casualties that will be recorded.”

Another resident, Alhaji Sulaiman Ibrahim Zurmi, described the attack as terrible and devastating, saying “We saw hell on the very day the soldiers spent about two hours exchanging fire with bandits. The bandits came to the village around 4:30pm and engaged the soldiers in a gun duel until around 6:09pm.

“Sincerely speaking, I was terrified by the sound of guns during the battle. In fact, for days after the unfortunate incident, I was not able to sleep and or eat.

“When I realised that the trauma was negatively affecting me, I relocated to Gusau. This is because every evening, the shock comes back to me and always disturbs me. Tuesday’s attack was the 6th on Zurmi town within days. Majority of the residents along Road No 17 have relocated to the Zurmi town for safety. Road No 17 area is no longer safe.”

A father of four, Zurmi, said although normalcy had returned to the village, he had no plan of going back there in the near future. “I am communicating with my wives and if things subside, then I will go back; but if not, I will arrange for my family to also relocate to Gusau.

NGO suspends healthcare services in Zurmi

Following the upsurge of bandits’ attacks on Zurmi town, the Médecins sans Frontières (MSF), a non-governmental organisation rendering humanitarian services at Zurmi General Hospital, has temporarily suspended its services in the local government.

Abdulkareem Yakubu, the organisation’s Field Communication Officer, in a statement, explained, “With violent clashes taking place a few metres from the hospital compound on December 11, MSF is no longer able to guarantee the safety of patients or staff. There was an intense crossfire; we saw cars set on fire. Our team had to seek shelter in the hospital for a long time.

“Our teams are committed to providing medical support to the Nigerian population in Zamfara State, we will do our best to maintain the operations, but we wish to see improvements in the security situation to be able to provide the appropriate medical care”.

He said the resurgence of bandits’ attacks in Zurmi had led to the displacement of thousands of people in need of security, shelter and access to basic services.

He also stated that faced with security risks, MSF medical teams on the ground had to evacuate their staff and were “Unable to function optimally, having suspended provision of healthcare to communities outside of the town.

“In this context, our team is concerned about patients in need of medical treatment as they are unable to reach the hospital in a safe manner.

MS’s Deputy Field Coordinator in Zurmi, Adjide Hermann, said: “Some of the patients refuse to leave the hospital out of fear. We had no choice but to reduce part of our team, and the staff who are still working at the hospital are afraid of what is going to happen next”.

Also, Dr Simba Tirima, MSF Country Representative, expressed concern about the situation.

He stated: “This situation is untenable; we urgently appeal to the parties involved in the conflict to cease their hostilities to protect the population. This is also crucial to safeguard the medical mission and to maintain the safety of patients and medical staff.”

“While the hostilities continue, sick and wounded patients are those facing greatest humanitarian and health needs as they struggle to access healthcare. The December spike in extreme violence, including killings and kidnappings, comes within a wider context of insecurity in Zamfara State.

“The ongoing level of insecurity has forced the displacement of thousands of people. In Zurmi, most of these people are forced to live in unsanitary conditions, in two unofficial camps and schools serving as temporary shelters.

Zamfara govt to engage 4,200 security guards

The Zamfara State government has described the recent attacks on Zurmi town as unfortunate and barbaric, reiterating that the government would do everything within its power to address the menace of banditry in the state.

Speaking on a popular radio programme aired by Pride FM Radio, Zamfara, the governor’s media aide, Mustapha Jafaru Kaura, said the government was disturbed by the recent attacks on Zurmi.

“Zamfara State government and Governor Dauda Lawal are concerned about that recent banditry attack on Zurmi. The governor has ordered for deployment of additional security personnel to Zurmi to fight the bandits. Alhamdulillah, normalcy has returned to the area and the government will continue to fight the bandits.

“By the time our security guards complete their training and commission, they will complement the efforts of the Nigerian Military and other security agencies in the fight against banditry. We are expecting 4,200 security guards to be commissioned in Zamfara State soon.”

https://dailytrust.com/zamfara-community-under-siege-as-bandits-strike/

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by Illicits: 7:55am On Dec 18, 2023
Zamfara state have suffered most from these Terrorists

7 Likes

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by money121(m): 7:57am On Dec 18, 2023
But why
Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by foleskay(m): 7:58am On Dec 18, 2023
undecided
Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by Ozommadu: 8:18am On Dec 18, 2023
Zamfara is not Anambra or SE, don't expect this thread to reach 3pages.

Aso rock animals will avoid this thread because it didn't happen in the east.

Anywhere can burn even their papa house they don't care provided it didn't happen in the east.

38 Likes

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by iwaeda: 8:42am On Dec 18, 2023
Nlfpmod we laugh it off, but this is grave, how can bandits be so powerful to inflict all these havoc, yet FG that controls security apparatuses, folds arms and do nothing. grin grin grin grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by iwaeda: 8:43am On Dec 18, 2023
Illicits:
Self inflicted. grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by Pussycokie45: 8:44am On Dec 18, 2023
Illicits:

Legacy of the mad prophet

15 Likes

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by Johnycastro18: 8:55am On Dec 18, 2023
Another one sad
Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by Brendaniel: 9:15am On Dec 18, 2023
NothingMegaw:
This bandits too get mind

Not just mind, we just have an irresponsible government in power....

3 Likes

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by LegallyBlunt: 9:15am On Dec 18, 2023
I'm no supporter of Thuvb. But watch the North blame him for their security woes. Imagine providing a general from their region for 8 solid years! Things only got worse with buhari at the helm. The north pampered the scorge and babysat them. Now there's no way to end it!

4 Likes

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by Olachase(m): 9:15am On Dec 18, 2023
Army that bomb community in kaduna you think they don't kw what they were doing,

Terrorist is hiding under innocent residents, while some corrupt innocent residents gives information to the terrorists

4 Likes

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by crossfm: 9:16am On Dec 18, 2023
Hehehe.

Shege pro max grin cheesy.

Under the watch of the brain behind USA army,the one who built Lagos and the security adviser to Israel and Russia Nigeria is collapsing grin.

Insecurity have taken over the whole region in Nigeria,and our first class brain in busy gallivanting around the world with his cronies.

I trust APC supporters and their online zombies to blame the governor.
Yes because our man is in power,let's blame the governor,but during Jonathan's regime,it's the president's fault. Double standard.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by aceman88(m): 9:16am On Dec 18, 2023
"This is more reason why I am still of the opinion that about 90% , at least, of the Nigerian military should be redeployed to the south East to deal with these IPOB guys. Enough of this nonsense. Every other part of Nigeria is calm and peaceful, including the north and west but every day what we continue to hear from south East is attacks and kidnapping carried out by IPOB bandits. They are not the first to lose election. Let our soldiers go there and deal with them"

2 Likes

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by nedu666: 9:17am On Dec 18, 2023
Did not happen in the se, don't expect comments from nairaland rats

1 Like

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by ShugaSneh: 9:17am On Dec 18, 2023
Terrorism and banditry grows wherever îslam is found, check anywhere Muslîms are, there's no peace at all.

See sad west Yáriba and ewedu munchers, very terrible.

Deâth to all head slammers all over the world

2 Likes

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by ReubenE(m): 9:17am On Dec 18, 2023
The Nigeria spirit may already be defeated I am afraid...we are more like in the phase where "anything wey won happen make e happen, e no concern me"

Somehow, these victims still love the very leader that are doing nothing to protect them, and not just them, it is what almost every average Nigerian do.

What's with Nigeria Army and cow rescue. Thought that culture went with Buhari government. The soldiers went on animal rescue, now the terrorists are angry, they are attacking the people, the cows are safe but the people have no soldier to protect them.

Bello Mattawale is the current minister of defence. A state where terrorists christened bandits took over the state when he was the governor

2 Likes

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by chiagozien(m): 9:18am On Dec 18, 2023
Where are those Yoruba soldiers that bombed innocent Northerners.

You won't see them confront bandits.

1 Like

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by Olachase(m): 9:19am On Dec 18, 2023
crossfm:
Hehehe.

Shege pro max grin cheesy.

Under the watch of the brain behind USA army,the one who built Lagos and the security adviser to Israel and Russia Nigeria is collapsing grin.

Insecurity have taken over the whole region in Nigeria,and our first class brain in busy gallivanting around the world with his cronies.
is it not giving you joy?
I guess you are the most happiest man on earth by now
Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by Mindlog: 9:20am On Dec 18, 2023
Yarimo, your brothers are "busy at work".

1 Like

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by Felabrity: 9:20am On Dec 18, 2023
Bandit state

Na them still vote APC in 2023 after all the killings

They will vote APC again in 2027

Make dem enjoy

1 Like

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by LadyRosa2(f): 9:21am On Dec 18, 2023
cheesy

It's not news, it didn't happen in Anambra
Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by Karrima: 9:21am On Dec 18, 2023
Enjoy your emiloko

2 Likes

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by superCleanworks(m): 9:22am On Dec 18, 2023
Nightmare country
Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by Postinor: 9:22am On Dec 18, 2023
Death on boko haram, death on bandits, death on ipob, death on israelites and death on all terrorist second class gentiles
Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by Mosba: 9:23am On Dec 18, 2023
Ozommadu:
Zamfara is not Anambra or SE, don't expect this thread to reach 3pages.

Aso rock animals will avoid this thread because it didn't happen in the east.

Anywhere can burn even their papa house they don't care provided it didn't happen in the east.

Maybe people expect better from east whose people pride themselves as civilized
Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by johnog4sure: 9:23am On Dec 18, 2023
They never learn
Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by DrChukki: 9:28am On Dec 18, 2023
Pussycokie45:

Legacy of the mad prophet

Correction:
Mohammed is a Demon, not a prophet
Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by oluwaseyi0: 9:29am On Dec 18, 2023
Yet same former Governor of this same Zamfara is the minister in charge of security

1 Like

Re: Zurmi, Zamfara Community Under Siege As Bandits Strike by BOSSkesh(m): 9:30am On Dec 18, 2023
Forget tribal banter this is really sad and I actually feel sorry and sad for these people how can bandits keep attacking the place day in day out and nothing is being done
How rotten has the government and the military been that they can’t confront these bandit pest that ha been disturbing us
I actually do feel sorry for those in the rural communities all these just be like numbers game for them So very sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Adam And Eve Were Nigerians, Say Researchers / AMCON, Capital Oil’s Talks Collapse / U.s Agents Expose Bola Tinubu's Drug Trafficking Deals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.