Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,123 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing (31043 Views)

Thousands Of NY COVID Patients Are Being Treated With Anti-malarial Drug / BREAKING: US Approves Anti-malarial Drug, Chloroquine To Treat Coronavirus / I'm Still Experiencing Malarial Symptoms After Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by omat20(m): 9:32pm On Dec 23, 2023
Taking 4 tablet at one go of a malaria drug looks like overdose to me. Bro you need to see your doctor. That chemist is unprofessional.
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by Abcruz(m): 9:44pm On Dec 23, 2023
Whizzdom:

Baba or madam, I went to General Hospital yesterday, they gave me appointment day on the 8th of March 2024. So tell me....

Na God hands I dey now.

Lol
No too worry yourself you go dey alright. But you may have to discontinue taking the drugs you bought if you suspect it may have caused it.

I advise that you also buy an ear-muff to protect your ear drum as your line of job is also contributing to your hearing loss.
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by Whizzdom(m): 10:00pm On Dec 23, 2023
blowjohn:

The flu medicine too is antihistamine... It can cause more blood flow in a faster way.

Will the blood that clogged in my head unclog by itself?
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by Whizzdom(m): 10:04pm On Dec 23, 2023
blowjohn:

The flu medicine too is antihistamine... It can cause more blood flow in a faster way.

And I also have pounding headaches, can I take paracetamol or aspirin?
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by Chassy03: 10:25pm On Dec 23, 2023
Op don buy market
Calitoscassius:
It is not the drug, what he is suffering from is called Tinnitus! grin grin deafness from his welding job and grinding machine. Tinnitus can also be caused by after having heavy cold, malaria or flu.

Tinnitus has no cure it can only stop by it self after days, weeks or months and it can become a permanent.
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by horia: 10:58pm On Dec 23, 2023
Whizzdom:

Everybody is shouting see an ENT DOCTOR as if you won't first book a very long appointment before you see them.

Thanks, I am just exhausted.

I understand why people don't want the whole hospital thing. but I also know you're aware that it's important so let's just leave that out, and focus on other things you can help yourself with.

1. Protect your ears around loud sounds

2. Go to a known pharmacy around you and ask to see a pharmacist, and talk to them. They may recommend a different drug for you so that you can discontinue this one.

3. If this is the first time you're taking A/L during working days. It could mean that you are extra sensitive to the drug. If it is not, talk to the pharmacist about it.

4. Eat and rest well. Ask for any affordable vitamins you can take too. And take your drugs with food.

If it persists after the period the pharmacist gave to you, you will be referred to a hospital. I think this is an easier way to go about it. I wish you a fast recovery Wisdom
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by blowjohn(m): 11:45pm On Dec 23, 2023
Whizzdom:

Will the blood that clogged in my head unclog by itself?

Yes with time. There are drugs to decongest the ears tho. But give it some time first
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by blowjohn(m): 11:47pm On Dec 23, 2023
Whizzdom:

And I also have pounding headaches, can I take paracetamol or aspirin?

U can take paracetamol, but pls also do test for typhoid ( preferably stool culture).
If u can't wait do widal test.

I suspect the headache is cis of the congestion in ur ears
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by pavoda: 1:06am On Dec 24, 2023
The suggested adult dosage ratio for ACT (Artemisinin Based Combination Treatments like Lonart, Coartem, ARMATEM) is 80/480, but the one he purchased is 20/120. Therefore, he will require four tablets to achieve the equivalent recommended adult dose. The quantity of tablets is not the main concern; potential issues may stem from the drug's quality, or, as others have pointed out, factors like tinnitus and other considerations might be contributing to his complaints.
ufotunang:
4 tablets is too much to take at once....it should be one tablet in the morning and one tablet at night each day ...you took overdose
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by orbgoblin: 1:29am On Dec 24, 2023
I doubt that drug is arthemether lumefantrine . Quinine will cause tinitus and later temporary hearing loss.. you're lucky it wasn't blindness because that is another of its side effects. It might be reversible but I advice to always wear ear protection while using your grinding machine as this too can cause ear loss.
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by frozen70(f): 3:40am On Dec 24, 2023
Whizzdom:
Thanks.... I appreciate.

No matter the cost of test the hospital will subject you to, it's still cheaper than becoming a deaf

So visit an ENT Doctor for proper diagnosis and get yourself treated properly
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by October1960: 5:44am On Dec 24, 2023
Whizzdom:
On Tuesday (21-12-2023), I was having serious fever, so went to buy an over-the-counter malaria drug and one flu tablet. The lady chemist told me to use 4 tablets in the morning and 4 in the afternoon for the malaria drug, but for the Flu medicine, I should use 1 tablet in the morning and at night. I took 4 tablets in the afternoon that day. On the next day, which is Wednesday, I took 4 tablets making 8 tablets in total plus 1 Flu tablet, A few hours after I took that medicine, I felt a sharp pain in my left hear, after which the pain subsided.

I am Welder by profession, I went to work that same moment, at work, I was using a grinding machine to grind iron to make iron smooth, the machine makes noise, but this day, as I was grinding, I could feel something in my brain or inner ear bringing buzzing sound or noise into my ear, after grinding that iron, I couldn't ear anything, all I was hearing is just noise.

The next day, which is today Thursday, I could hear people speak but they have to be loud, and my ears can't tolerate noise at all.

To go hospital hard me because I no gallant because of the series of test they will have me run which will expend my money I don't have.

My question is to the learned health practitioners in the house, should I give it time for it to heal on its own or I should go to the hospital for doctor's opinion on the matter.

Attached are the medicines for your scrutiny, I hope it is not one of those fake drugs.

Perhaps your dosage was too much. Malaria medication can cause hearing problems. Stop the medication for a few days.
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by Juliearth(f): 6:00am On Dec 24, 2023
I can relate with your plight, op. I can't pinpoint which medication it was, but an antimalarial triggered tinnitus in my left ear. I had to discontinue the medication, else it could have been worse.
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by Verbtips(m): 8:13am On Dec 24, 2023
Agbo is the best my bro becus fake chemical drug don full market just get a moringa oil take a spoonful 3 times a day and find karnel oil put a drop in your ear morning and night that moringa oil go cure early stage cancer self it is rich more than the seed. GOD SAID I HAVE GIVEN YOU THIS HERB FOR FOOD AND MEDICINE
OYINBO SAY HERB DOES NOT HAVE A MESUREABLE COMPONENT AND OVERDOSE USE OUR MEDICINE OF SULPHUR AND HYDROGENgringringrin
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by fsb(m): 8:22am On Dec 24, 2023
Sorry about your hearing. You said you were giving 2 drugs but you have posted only one.

This medication should not affect your hearing. Do you have the picture of the other drug u were given for flu?
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by Caseless: 12:30pm On Dec 24, 2023
Whizzdom:
On Tuesday (21-12-2023), I was having serious fever, so went to buy an over-the-counter malaria drug and one flu tablet. The lady chemist told me to use 4 tablets in the morning and 4 in the afternoon for the malaria drug, but for the Flu medicine, I should use 1 tablet in the morning and at night. I took 4 tablets in the afternoon that day. On the next day, which is Wednesday, I took 4 tablets making 8 tablets in total plus 1 Flu tablet, A few hours after I took that medicine, I felt a sharp pain in my left hear, after which the pain subsided.

I am Welder by profession, I went to work that same moment, at work, I was using a grinding machine to grind iron to make iron smooth, the machine makes noise, but this day, as I was grinding, I could feel something in my brain or inner ear bringing buzzing sound or noise into my ear, after grinding that iron, I couldn't ear anything, all I was hearing is just noise.

The next day, which is today Thursday, I could hear people speak but they have to be loud, and my ears can't tolerate noise at all.

To go hospital hard me because I no gallant because of the series of test they will have me run which will expend my money I don't have.

My question is to the learned health practitioners in the house, should I give it time for it to heal on its own or I should go to the hospital for doctor's opinion on the matter.

Attached are the medicines for your scrutiny, I hope it is not one of those fake drugs.

I don't know if our problem is illiteracy or poverty.

Self-medication is about to harm you, and here you're seeking another one to cure the earlier one. Are you ok?

Go to the hospital and this time around, go to a reputable one, or else, your ear is gone.

That long sound in the ear is "tininitus" or something. Someone came here with it last time.
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by litaninja(m): 12:45pm On Dec 24, 2023
Medication have side-effects that will be written in the leaflets, try dey read those things. So, depending on the components of that medicine, this may not be unheard of. Quinine back in the day used to cause ringing in the ears of a lot of people.
Re: Anti-malarial Medicine Blocked My Hearing by frankpro27(m): 5:46am On Dec 25, 2023
pahen1991:
this drug has nafdac number, why will you say its fake.. this is someone's business don't be too quick to condem.

Naffac number can be copied nd written on the drug. Not the fault of the seller or buyer. But the seller need to know how to identify original drugs and where to buy them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos Launches Medical Helicopter Emergency Service In Nigeria (Photos) / Man Swims Inside Gutter In Owerri, Scoops Dirts With Bare Hands (Photos) / Woman And A Boy Collapse At Sallah Parade In Minna. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.