Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,034 members, 7,863,699 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 12:22 AM

2012 Budget: Senate Insists On Pay Cut For Jonathan, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2012 Budget: Senate Insists On Pay Cut For Jonathan, Others (600 Views)

Presidency Submitted Fake 2016 Budget – Senate Panel. / Senate Insists, No More Bow And Go For Ministerial Nominees / No N3.2bn Severance Pay For Jonathan, Others Till 2016 - PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2012 Budget: Senate Insists On Pay Cut For Jonathan, Others by Beaf: 12:42am On Nov 02, 2011
[size=14pt]2012 Budget: Senate insists on pay cut for Jonathan, others[/size]
On November 2, 2011 · In News , 
…Says BPE probe report ready soon
By Inalegwu Shaibu

ABUJA – As the Senate awaits the presentation of the 2012 budget to the National Assembly by President Goodluck Jonathan, there are indications that the budget may run into hitches unless there is a general pay cut in all the three arms of government.

Chairman, Senate Committee, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, who dropped the hint while addressing newsmen in Abuja said the Senate expected both the executive and the judiciary to comply with the need to reduce their budgets to help government cut down the high cost of governance.

He said: “One thing is certain, we have reached a consensus between the executive and legislature that the cost of running the government is too high and that there will be a need to cut down the cost of government and I think that, that will be the general trend in this particular budget. So, we are looking forward to seeing the budget and how much has been cut in terms of running the government.”

Abaribe, who also spoke on the reported N50 billion slash of the proposed 2012 budget of the National Assembly by President Jonathan, said the Senate would only take action when the budget is formally brought to them.

He also said the National Assembly was still expectant of the 2012 budget being that the executive had promised to send the budget in November.

He said: “I do not know when the budget is going to be presented. We were told last time that it will be sometime in November, so now that we are in November, we are looking forward to getting the budget from the executive.”

Abaribe who also spoke on the probe of the alleged shady deals in the sale of government properties by the Bureau of Public Enterprise, BPE, said the report would soon be made public.

He reacted to claims that the probe has been swept under the carpet upon findings that prominent Nigerians were found culpable in the privatization exercise, saying the committee will soon submit its findings to the Senate.

His words, “I think that in a very short while the report will be out. I promise you that the report will not be buried. No report that will come out of the Senate will be buried, it will be brought out and it will be open to the public because we want to ensure that we have good governance in Nigeria and the only way you can do that is to be sure that whatever you find out, ensure it is not buried.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/2012-budget-senate-insists-on-pay-cut-for-jonathan-others-2/
Re: 2012 Budget: Senate Insists On Pay Cut For Jonathan, Others by jmaine: 12:47am On Nov 02, 2011
Would love if the confrontation between the Executives and the legislation would be antagonistic to their fat port folios . . . .
Re: 2012 Budget: Senate Insists On Pay Cut For Jonathan, Others by Kilode1: 12:54am On Nov 02, 2011
Shots fired! Although I'm sure these looters will protect each other eventually.

GEJ should answer by sponsoring a bill to cap the salary of these looters at minimum wage. Of course he won't undecided

If you cannot serve us on minimum wage go and start a business. Politics is not by force.

Awon jaguda gbogbo embarassed
Re: 2012 Budget: Senate Insists On Pay Cut For Jonathan, Others by jmaine: 12:58am On Nov 02, 2011
Kilode?!:

Shots fired! Although I'm sure these looters will protect each other eventually.

Scratch my bak . . .make i scratch ya own . . . everyone goes home happy cheesy . . .
Re: 2012 Budget: Senate Insists On Pay Cut For Jonathan, Others by Kilode1: 1:03am On Nov 02, 2011
I re-read the report and it's lame. These people are still agreeing, they are not fighting at all.  angry

This does nothing for me. They need to be at each others neck for oppressed Nigerians to see any radical change in their salary and spending.
Re: 2012 Budget: Senate Insists On Pay Cut For Jonathan, Others by Beaf: 1:30am On Nov 02, 2011
Its a great development in my opinion. GEJ fired first by slashing the NASS budget yet again, by 50billion.
If all they require to slash their salaries is that GEJ too slashes his, then I'm all for the outcome.

There is no way the NASS members can continue to take home in excess of $1million each per annum for doing nada. Thats just gross and obscene.

(1) (Reply)

Akpabio Again: A Visionairy Leader / Yesterday In Court: How Bankole, Nafada Obtained Loan, By EFCC / Is Everybody In Nigeria Scared Of Boko Haram?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.