Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,301 members, 7,811,892 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P (474 Views)

Lagos: Commercial Bus Operators Defy Sanwo-olu, Oluomo’s Order On Fare Reduction / Peter Obi Criticizes Harrasment Of Youths Who Own Laptops In Nigeria (Video) / Nigeria Fires Back At HSBC After Bank Criticizes President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by thisweekng: 10:57am On Dec 22, 2023
In the lead-up to the 2023 presidential election, Peter Obi, the Labour Party (LP) candidate, has voiced criticism against President Bola Tinubu for implementing a 50% reduction in transportation fares nationwide during the Yuletide season. According to a report by News Verified, Tinubu had previously announced waivers on transport fares for interstate road travelers during the Christmas and New Year period.

Tinubu clarified that the federal government would subsidize 50% of the transport fares for interstate road travelers throughout the country during the festive season. In response to this announcement, Peter Obi expressed disappointment in a statement via X, raising concerns about the fate of Nigerians after the conclusion of the festive season and the implications for those who had already undertaken travels before the transportation fare reduction was announced.

The former Governor of Anambra state conducted an investigation, revealing that many transporters in major parks across the country were not adequately informed or consulted regarding the decision made by the Federal Government. Obi argued that for the policy to be effective and fair, it should have been inclusive, taking into account the challenges faced by transport companies.

Obi emphasized the need for the policy to resonate with the broader population, especially the economically disadvantaged. He contended that a more deliberate and concrete arrangement should have been made with transport companies to ensure the effective implementation of the policy and its positive impact on the masses.

As the nation enters the festive season, the clash of opinions between Peter Obi and President Tinubu adds complexity to the ongoing political discourse. The effectiveness of the transportation fare reduction policy is now under scrutiny, and Obi’s concerns highlight the importance of a comprehensive and inclusive approach to policymaking, ensuring that the benefits reach those who are most in need.

He said, “I read the reports of the President’s approval of a 50 percent slash in the price of interstate transport fare for Nigerians travelling during this Yuletide from Thursday 21, 2023, to January 4, 2024. The news reports added that the President approved free rides for commuters on all train services within the period. If fully implemented, as reported, I consider this first-time intervention of the government, intended to help the masses, a step in the right direction.

However, the major concern about such emergency measures is what follows afterwards. The high cost of transportation and associated hardships are all well known. The question this seasonal palliative raises is that of what happens after the festive season. Is there a sustainable policy measure to cushion the masses from the current high transportation costs? Even the current effort comes with operational challenges.

Millions of people have already traveled bearing the brunt and huge costs of such travels. How will such people get their refunds or be compensated? Following the government’s announcement of a 50% discount on interstate transport fare for Nigerians, I have taken time to inquire into the implementation mechanics across different cities but I have been disappointed.

“Today, I sent out contacts who consulted widely with the transporters in major parks across the country: in Abuja they carried out on the spot investigation in Jabi/Utako areas; in Lagos they visited major parks like Jibowu, Festac, Mile 12, Ajah, and Mazamaza and none of the transporters in these parks was aware of this 50% discount. At Upper Iweka, Onitsha, which is the main traffic hub in Anambra, and in other parts of the country like; Kano, Aba, Kaduna, Owerri, and Gombe, the story is the same.

The government has again announced the few transport companies chosen to participate in the intervention for which 28 Routes have been designated. There are no announced forms of checks and balances to ensure that the transporters follow the terms of the contract.

“There are obvious questions on the integrity of this intervention effort. One expects that such a policy that strives to appeal to the broad masses, especially the downtrodden, deliberate and concrete arrangements should be made, with transport companies. I pray that this is not yet another spin to curry favour in the media space after appetizing the people.

The Nigerian people are going through untold hardship and the government must not remain insensitive to their sufferings. Compassion on the part of government is a good thing, but it should not be an avenue for exploiting the weak structures of government to encourage less than transparent policy implementation.”

https://thisweekng.com/peter-obi-criticizes-president-tinubus-yuletide-transportation-fare-reduction-policy/

Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by Bliss51: 11:00am On Dec 22, 2023
He have a point sha
Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by LeoDeKing: 11:03am On Dec 22, 2023
Peter Obi will never be president of Nigeria, even in the next millennium.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by Tomly: 11:10am On Dec 22, 2023
He welcomed it not criticize, all these blogger headlines
Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by LeoDeKing: 11:12am On Dec 22, 2023
Is Peter Obi not going to Agulu for Christmas and New year?

Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by chuksville(m): 11:19am On Dec 22, 2023
A good policy though but only 5 transport companies were picked which could lead to a stampede.
Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by Vinnie2000(m): 11:24am On Dec 22, 2023
Another thoughtless and FAILED policy from Ebola Tinubu.😒

Running a Trial and Error, Gazelle Gagaraga govt. 😟😏😏
Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by freemanq(m): 11:55am On Dec 22, 2023
After Christmas then what next for Nigerians
Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by Sevenworldpower(m): 12:01pm On Dec 22, 2023
LeoDeKing:

How did Buhari your favorite handled the country? Careless. How is Tinubu doing now. Worse. It is only an arrogant person that would say somebody cannot become something in life.
Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by Ofunaofu: 12:05pm On Dec 22, 2023
LeoDeKing:

Your hate for Peter obi won't allow you to take your time to read

He said, “I read the reports of the President’s approval of a 50 percent slash in the price of interstate transport fare for Nigerians travelling during this Yuletide from Thursday 21, 2023, to January 4, 2024. The news reports added that the President approved free rides for commuters on all train services within the period. If fully implemented, as reported, I consider this first-time intervention of the government, intended to help the masses, a step in the right direction.
Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by EmperorCaesar(m): 1:02pm On Dec 22, 2023
I used to think this man has the interest of Nigerians at heart but going by this very long paragraph, I've come to realize that he is just a power hungry saddists who would criticize jusr anything to stat irrelevant

This proves that his criticisms in the past arent borne out of his patriotism but driven by hate

I hate when people dont know when and when not to hate, it makes u look stupid

See person wey i even think say na serious person

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by Obakoolex(m): 1:44pm On Dec 22, 2023
grin Peter at times just keep kwayet
Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by chichar1(f): 1:49pm On Dec 22, 2023
EmperorCaesar:
I used to think this man has the interest of Nigerians at heart but going by this very long paragraph, I've come to realize that he is just a power hungry saddists who would criticize jusr anything to stat irrelevant

This proves that his criticisms in the past arent borne out of his patriotism but driven by hate

I hate when people dont know when and when not to hate, it makes u look stupid

See person wey i even think say na serious person
Madman Anthem!!!! Mr man prove him wrong. Mtcheeewww Yeyenatu!!
Re: Peter Obi Criticizes President Tinubu’s Yuletide Transportation Fare Reduction P by Melagros(m): 2:03pm On Dec 22, 2023
If you believe this cock and bull story from government then you're delusional i asked people wei want travel they said nothing like that dey

(1) (Reply)

Rivers Crisis: Speaker Loyal To Gov Fubara Resigns, Quits As Lawmaker / Nairaland Just Ban Our Domain (pm News.ng) For No Reason / Igbo Tribal Map In Nigeria And Ijaw Nation Map (photos).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.