Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,599 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm (41667 Views)

How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. / How I Converted My Piece Of Land To Money (pictures) / My Dry Season Ugu Farm Diary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by anungangampu: 7:28pm On Dec 25, 2023
Calitoscassius:
Until fulani herdsmen comes and destroys the whole damm thing!
lol
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by ottersberger(m): 7:29pm On Dec 25, 2023
What do you say about your fast hand neighbor, who quickly needs a handful of vegetables to finish cooking his soup at 9 p.m when Phcn has done their usual pastime?.

5 Likes

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Calitoscassius(m): 7:30pm On Dec 25, 2023
anungangampu:
lol
Why you de laugh naa? No be true? grin grin
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by sonnie10: 7:30pm On Dec 25, 2023
Don’t let that fence fall due to too much water in the ground.
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by anungangampu: 7:30pm On Dec 25, 2023
Calitoscassius:
Why you de laugh naa? No be true? grin grin
Herdsmen na mtn
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Nicepoker(m): 7:32pm On Dec 25, 2023
Calitoscassius:
At his backyard?

1 Like

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Calitoscassius(m): 7:34pm On Dec 25, 2023
Nicepoker:
At his backyard?
Yes, herdsmen don't care where your location is they would invade it.

2 Likes

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by viodemus: 7:35pm On Dec 25, 2023
Nice 1.

I appreciate the work you are putting in.

The only issue I see with this, is the fence and the location. The fence structure will soon crack in multiple areas, because of the water retainment around the plants.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by IDnoble1: 7:37pm On Dec 25, 2023
Ejehubailo:
Following the tread of my agronomist friend Esude007, I was able to convert a small space in my compound into 2 seedbed of ugu at spacing of 20m by 30m. I planted 250 seeds per bed, i use organic manure from cow and poultry, the result from soil test showed that the soil is deficient in organic matter, nitrogen and the soil ph is acidic. To stabilize the ph, I had to apply lime. Acidic soil prevent nutrient movement to the plant.

How did you go about the soil test please?
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Chassy03: 7:39pm On Dec 25, 2023
Don't disturb yourself
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 7:43pm On Dec 25, 2023
I have a plot of land somewhere, I'm thinking of going into agricultural business but I don't know the kind of crop I can cultivate on it to give a yield that will be commercially viable at the end of the planting season i.e after harvesting it

1 Like

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Ahnii(f): 7:50pm On Dec 25, 2023
Cool

1 Like

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by CSTRR: 7:51pm On Dec 25, 2023
CatchMeIfUCanMO:
I have a plot of land somewhere, I'm thinking of going into agricultural business but I don't know the kind of crop I can cultivate on it to give a yield that will be commercially viable at the end of the planting season i.e after harvesting it
You can never go wrong with ugwu.

1 Like

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by warrifinest1985: 8:05pm On Dec 25, 2023
Ejehubailo:
Following the tread of my agronomist friend Esude007, I was able to convert a small space in my compound into 2 seedbed of ugu at spacing of 20m by 30m. I planted 250 seeds per bed, i use organic manure from cow and poultry, the result from soil test showed that the soil is deficient in organic matter, nitrogen and the soil ph is acidic. To stabilize the ph, I had to apply lime. Acidic soil prevent nutrient movement to the plant.
Are you a biologist? Because you thread is oozing of inteligence.

2 Likes

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Denko2721987(m): 8:08pm On Dec 25, 2023
NJV:
Following o.

Just sold my third bed excess pumpkin yesterday. Sold 2 last month. And they're growing back already. Never planned it. Was just too much for me to consume alone and someone came to buy it. The way the lady has been pestering me is making me consider doing serious commercial dry season farming for it next year.

You mean pumpkin seeds??
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by sonofthunder: 8:14pm On Dec 25, 2023
Ejehubailo:
Planting at 1m apart… the pointed part should face the ground, as the root develops through there. Failure to do this delay germination

You mean one foot apart or one metre?

1 Like

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Nicepoker(m): 8:15pm On Dec 25, 2023
Calitoscassius:
Yes, herdsmen don't care where your location is they would invade it.
I have hectares of farm land. I don't have issues with them.

2 Likes

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by luckyz4rea(m): 8:22pm On Dec 25, 2023
Calitoscassius:

Please stop painting Nigeria badder than it is. Herdsmen are not everywhere please. We will do Agriculture no matter how bad things get otherwise you won’t even be alive to talk. The foods you eat daily, you think they are from the UK or US?

7 Likes

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Germi9: 8:28pm On Dec 25, 2023
NJV:
Following o.

Just sold my third bed excess pumpkin yesterday. Sold 2 last month. And they're growing back already. Never planned it. Was just too much for me to consume alone and someone came to buy it. The way the lady has been pestering me is making me consider doing serious commercial dry season farming for it next year.
Please go ahead and do it with immediate effect.
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 8:30pm On Dec 25, 2023
CSTRR:

You can never go wrong with ugwu.

Good, thanks for your response.

I hope it doesn't take much time because I have a primary business.

Will 2 to 3 hours weekly work on it be ok for it?
And the land is not in the same area with my present place of residence.
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Calitoscassius(m): 8:35pm On Dec 25, 2023
luckyz4rea:

Please stop painting Nigeria badder than it is. Herdsmen are not everywhere please. We will do Agriculture no matter how bad things get otherwise you won’t even be alive to talk. The foods you eat daily, you think they are from the UK or US?
You are just indenial until Fulani herdsmen invade your area. Alota Naigerians were also indenial until the herdsmen invaded their villages.

2 Likes

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Calitoscassius(m): 8:37pm On Dec 25, 2023
Nicepoker:
I have hectares of farm land. I don't have issues with them.
Ofcourse, no issue with them until they show up at your area.
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by nedekid: 8:41pm On Dec 25, 2023
Cassava, garri, ewa, beans and dodooo.. cool
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Nicepoker(m): 8:41pm On Dec 25, 2023
Calitoscassius:
Ofcourse, no issue with them until they show up at your area.
Who says we don't have them. If they do attack farms the way people think. You won't see any farm produced in the market.

2 Likes

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Kenneth4u205(m): 8:47pm On Dec 25, 2023
Where is the location of this ugu farm ?. So that I will come harvest it at night
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Calitoscassius(m): 8:47pm On Dec 25, 2023
Nicepoker:
Who says we don't have them. If they do attack farms the way people think. You won't see any farm produced in the market.
So it isn't as bad as some naigerians says it is then?
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Nicepoker(m): 8:54pm On Dec 25, 2023
Calitoscassius:
So it isn't as bad as some naigerians says it is then?
Those ones that are grazing in that particular area knows where farms are located.
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by soccerlite: 9:00pm On Dec 25, 2023
Ejehubailo:
Soil testing

This soil testing kit how does it work, is it self explanatory
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by NoToPile: 9:03pm On Dec 25, 2023
I have been planting ugu year in year out in my home garden, had about 4 pods from one plant last year. I sold some and gave some seeds out and replanted them.

The one I planted recently is fruiting, I have not bought ugu for a while now.

And I just plant them for fun, and for fresh veggies.

Maybe I will try planting for sale , ugu is damn expensive this year. Home garden is good.

3 Likes

Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Calitoscassius(m): 9:10pm On Dec 25, 2023
Nicepoker:
Those ones that are grazing in that particular area knows where farms are located.
Right, i see.
Re: How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm by Originalsly: 9:22pm On Dec 25, 2023
Nice project. Love that you used cow manure ... the harvest will be sooo rich and natural ... Grade A. Love the fencing ... keep eyes off the crop. Curious... the bed is in the shadow... does the sun come around to this side?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Our Ginger Farm In Kaduna South / Bird I Caught This Morning In My Compound In Abia / Get Your Motorized Sprayer and Battery Sprayer From Us At affordable Price.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.