Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,369 members, 7,836,488 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Ungrateful Siblings - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ungrateful Siblings (758 Views)

What Do U Do To Ungrateful Siblings? / My Wife Is Ungrateful / Five Siblings Recreate Childhood Photo After 50 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ungrateful Siblings by thicthighs(f): 5:51pm On Dec 26, 2023
One mistake that has become normalized in Nigeria stems from pressure parents place on first daughters, especially regarding younger siblings.Many first daughters make huge sacrifices like with the hopes that some day,these young ones will not only reciprocate but at least show gratitude. I'll summarize a very long story.

For years, I was 'struck' with the first daughter curse.I denied myself opportunities just so my younger ones would excel,
trained everyone till they got at least a BA. (mind you , i only started a part-time programme after they had all graduated), borrowed money to send our youngest sister abroad. I even singlehandedly catered to our terminally ill parent for years etc . Why? I didn't want to bother them.I guess somewhere in my mind's eye ,I still considered them the tiny little babies that were born into my hands...

Years later, life happened and I became broke..that was when it all came tumbling down. I almost lost my mind from the shame, disrespect and abandonment. These same peeps called me names and laughed to my face.. I hoped they'd at least help with my son's fees or care ? How wrong I was...shishi I no see🙂, encouragement nko? whosai!!!. I received more help from outsiders.

However, I was determined to make it. I went back to school (I already had a first degree) to study Chinese (Mandarin), started a painting company and became a published writer. Guess who's coming back to ask for favors? Wanting my connect with power brokers I met in the course of my translation gigs both within and outside the country? The same ingrates!.

This is not a rant.
I'm not angry...
I am at peace with the entire situation. I have accepted my fate. However , I am no fo.ol and very mindful of how I expend my resources...
I know that they only want to reconnect because , well with my new found fortune, I have finally attained the status of "human being". It's sad how shallow,and materialistic we are as a people. Working with the Koreans and Chinese have thought me to not only appreciate the simple things in life but also to remain humble regardless of how much you have. I'm not perfect but I do my best.

Any way , my new mantra is simple : Fool me once...

This message is for anyone going through the pain of rejection, shame and ingratitude from loved ones, whom you invested in. Remember that it's not the people you help that would pay back. Consider it a debt to the Universe..
Wipe your tears..It will be well.Its just time it will take,but you will recover all that you lost. And when you finally do , don't forget to pour more into yourself.Like the Chinese would say:
"别担心, 一切都会好的!"❤️🙌

On a final note, success is indeed the the ultimate revenge! Hustle like your life depends on it ....cos in a way,it actually does😂

Merry Christmas y'all
我也祝你们新年快乐!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ungrateful Siblings by faithfull18(f): 6:00pm On Dec 26, 2023
Normally, you shouldn't help because you expect to be helped by the same set of people. The way life works, help comes from the people you don't expect it from.

It's also common sense to invest in yourself while investing in others 😉

2 Likes

Re: Ungrateful Siblings by DrDoc: 6:18pm On Dec 26, 2023
My sister it is well with your soul. Abeg buy cold malt with very well fried chicken and use it to digest the vibes from this thread. May all of us like you have sense

5 Likes

Re: Ungrateful Siblings by Nazgul: 6:21pm On Dec 26, 2023
faithfull18:
Normally, you shouldn't help because you expect to be helped by the same set of people. The way life works, help comes from the people you don't expect it from.

It's also common sense to invest in yourself while investing in others 😉
It is annoying when you help your siblings and they turn around to disrespect you because life happened to you.

It has nothing to do with expecting anything in return. She's their elder sister, the least they could have done is to show her some respect regardless of her condition.

Besides, courtesy demands that you reciprocate good gestures. If someone treated you well, or you benefitted directly from someone for years, and you find yourself in a position to offer help to him/her and choose not to, you've only succeeded in telling everyone that you're an ingrate. And if you should need any kind of help, believe me, no one would lift a finger to support you.

8 Likes

Re: Ungrateful Siblings by GoldenqueenC(f): 6:31pm On Dec 26, 2023
Glad you made it at last.

2 Likes

Re: Ungrateful Siblings by LooneyLester: 7:50pm On Dec 26, 2023
Please forking kys
Re: Ungrateful Siblings by Lance008(m): 8:29pm On Dec 26, 2023
This generation family I no understand to be honest
Brother go gossip he brother give outsiders
This words really gave me hope I went down because of family and stil been gossip by them with zero help
Re: Ungrateful Siblings by MatrixReloaded: 8:32pm On Dec 26, 2023
I'm sure it is not a problem to set up your family. Start working on your new way or life and embrace peace.
Re: Ungrateful Siblings by thicthighs(f): 11:30pm On Dec 26, 2023
Lance008:
This generation family I no understand to be honest
Brother go gossip he brother give outsiders
This words really gave me hope I went down because of family and stil been gossip by them with zero help

It's sad really but someday I hope you find yourself back up. Humans may forget but God never does. 🙌

1 Like

Re: Ungrateful Siblings by Lance008(m): 3:41am On Dec 27, 2023
thicthighs:

It's sad really but someday I hope you find yourself back up. Humans may forget but God never does. 🙌
God is good
Anybody mak say God no Dey run from am
God actually made this happen to know my enemy before bigger blessings
ur enemies are majorly ur village people not outsiders

2 Likes

Re: Ungrateful Siblings by VitaSolar: 12:20pm On Mar 14
thicthighs:
One mistake that has become normalized in Nigeria stems from pressure parents place on first daughters, especially regarding younger siblings.Many first daughters make huge sacrifices like with the hopes that some day,these young ones will not only reciprocate but at least show gratitude. I'll summarize a very long story.

For years, I was 'struck' with the first daughter curse.I denied myself opportunities just so my younger ones would excel,
trained everyone till they got at least a BA. (mind you , i only started a part-time programme after they had all graduated), borrowed money to send our youngest sister abroad. I even singlehandedly catered to our terminally ill parent for years etc . Why? I didn't want to bother them.I guess somewhere in my mind's eye ,I still considered them the tiny little babies that were born into my hands...

Years later, life happened and I became broke..that was when it all came tumbling down. I almost lost my mind from the shame, disrespect and abandonment. These same peeps called me names and laughed to my face.. I hoped they'd at least help with my son's fees or care ? How wrong I was...shishi I no see🙂, encouragement nko? whosai!!!. I received more help from outsiders.

However, I was determined to make it. I went back to school (I already had a first degree) to study Chinese (Mandarin), started a painting company and became a published writer. Guess who's coming back to ask for favors? Wanting my connect with power brokers I met in the course of my translation gigs both within and outside the country? The same ingrates!.

This is not a rant.
I'm not angry...
I am at peace with the entire situation. I have accepted my fate. However , I am no fo.ol and very mindful of how I expend my resources...
I know that they only want to reconnect because , well with my new found fortune, I have finally attained the status of "human being". It's sad how shallow,and materialistic we are as a people. Working with the Koreans and Chinese have thought me to not only appreciate the simple things in life but also to remain humble regardless of how much you have. I'm not perfect but I do my best.

Any way , my new mantra is simple : Fool me once...

This message is for anyone going through the pain of rejection, shame and ingratitude from loved ones, whom you invested in. Remember that it's not the people you help that would pay back. Consider it a debt to the Universe..
Wipe your tears..It will be well.Its just time it will take,but you will recover all that you lost. And when you finally do , don't forget to pour more into yourself.Like the Chinese would say:
"别担心, 一切都会好的!"❤️🙌

On a final note, success is indeed the the ultimate revenge! Hustle like your life depends on it ....cos in a way,it actually does😂

Merry Christmas y'all
我也祝你们新年快乐!

I'm sorry you're going through such a bad time, and if you don't mind, I'll get back to you in Chinese.
我们无法控制别人是否会感恩,我们能做的事让自己问心无愧,以及停止一些无畏的牺牲。
中国的文化里有牺牲自己的传说,当并不意味着一定要牺牲自己才能帮助别人,所以请善待自己。

不要沉浸在抱怨他人的忘恩负义,往前看,未来会更好,Time will tell !

God bless you!

(1) (Reply)

Trouble Getting Baby To Sleep? Here's What Not To Do / Igbo/yoruba People Only Comments And Ideas / God Will Help The Innocent.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.