Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,840 members, 7,820,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

Am I Making A Mistake? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Am I Making A Mistake? (1606 Views)

I Hope Buying This Won't Be A Mistake..... Suggestions Are Allowed / I Made A Mistake On Zipcode On Aliexpress / Apple Confirms Iphone 8 Is Making A Crackling Sound (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Dec 26, 2023
My dearest Nairalanders I need your help and advice.

A little background about myself. I am a young girl of 21. Studying at one of the prestigious universities in Nigeria and currently in 300L. Is it weird that I have zero to no social media presence like people of my age. People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them Its been years I visited my Facebook and Instagram accounts, I find it boring and not interesting atall. I don't even have the apps on my phone anymore though I still have the passwords but zero urge to visit those sites. I still take pictures, infact I love taking pictures but I just store them in my google photos, no urge to share on social media at all. Sometimes I share on my Whatsapp status which has my family (Mom, Dad and siblings) alone as contacts. My roommate thinks am making a big mistake and may not get a good guy as a partner since I also rarely go out. I really wish I can change and post more or even become more active on social media but I just love my privacy and being anonymous.

Please those who are more experienced on these things should advice me, am I losing so much by being invisible Online? Offline I am very outgoing and have no problems communicating with people and friends but Online is something else.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by LooneyLester: 7:53pm On Dec 26, 2023
You'll gain nothing in posting your life online

Just focus on yourself, read books and watch movie

Social media is dogshit

I don't have social media , I just lurk on forums and eat wtf I want

22 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nicepoker(m): 8:34pm On Dec 26, 2023
This one is trying to sell us that good girl vibes. We are not buying grin

5 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Ceenachi: 8:38pm On Dec 26, 2023
My dear I wish we can swap ourselves ๐ŸŒš๐ŸŒš

1 Like

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Dec 26, 2023
Nicepoker:
This one is trying to sell us that good girl vibes. We are not buying grin
Good girl vibes? What exactly would I gain by doing that?
Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 26, 2023
Ceenachi:
My dear I wish we can swap ourselves ๐ŸŒš๐ŸŒš
Really, why?
Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nicepoker(m): 9:07pm On Dec 26, 2023
Valerieee:
Good girl vibes? What exactly would I gain by doing that?
One simp here might grab a copy.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Balablue64: 9:35pm On Dec 26, 2023
Im no longer on social media, i used to be. Nairaland is the only social media i am in, the earlier you realize that social media is destructive the better.

11 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Balablue64: 9:35pm On Dec 26, 2023
Nicepoker:

Guy chill.
Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by bamdly(m): 9:38pm On Dec 26, 2023
No woorryyyy if u no see husband dm me i will marry you... grin
i forgot u dont use social media

1 Like

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 26, 2023
LooneyLester:

Social media is dogshit.

Thank you so much for this.
Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by MikeTyson(m): 9:58pm On Dec 26, 2023
IMO... You're missing nothing. I recently uninstall tiktok, Facebook and IG and my life is going fine

7 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 26, 2023
Balablue64:
Im no longer on social media, i used to be. Nairaland is the only social media i am in, the earlier you realize that social media is destructive the better.
Feels good to know I'm not alone. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Ceenachi: 10:02pm On Dec 26, 2023
Valerieee:
Really, why?

My dear story long
Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by laivwire(m): 10:56pm On Dec 26, 2023
LooneyLester:

Social media is dogshit

And forums are not social media?

Valerieee:
am I losing so much by being invisible Online?
Social media like instagram can be quite valuable with connecting and keeping in touch with old and distant friends and acquaintances. At a certain age, you just cant pick up your phone and dial or text everybody. Social media like Whatsapp makes it easier. Sometimes just seeing someone's status is enough to let you know they are still alive and doing fine. Sometimes I just drop a smiley or drop a quick message.

Heck my active groups on Whatsapp today are my extended family; aunties, uncles and grandparents, another for cousins, another for old school mates, old club mates etc. It just makes connecting much easier. Meetups with colleagues and church is also online, someone just suggests where we should hang out one evening and posts a live location and time. Who has time to be calling you on phone? How do yu tell your colleagues you missed the bus if your few best friends are not picking their calls?

Additionally, when you stay in some countries up north (Europe and the like) some people are more comfortable giving you their Snapchat ID or Instagram handles than their telephone numbers...and believe it, when you change numbers once or twice it becomes hard to keep track of people on your contact list, contacts that will be quite beneficial in the future.

If you don't have at least one active account, you better start growing it now.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by LooneyLester: 5:11am On Dec 27, 2023
laivwire:

And forums are not social media?

Social media like instagram can be quite valuable with connecting and keeping in touch with old and distant friends and acquaintances. At a certain age, you just cant pick up your phone and dial or text everybody. Social media like Whatsapp makes it easier. Sometimes just seeing someone's status is enough to let you know they are still alive and doing fine. Sometimes I just drop a smiley or drop a quick message.

Heck my active groups on Whatsapp today are my extended family; aunties, uncles and grandparents, another for cousins, another for old school mates, old club mates etc. It just makes connecting much easier. Meetups with colleagues and church is also online, someone just suggests where we should hang out one evening and posts a live location and time. Who has time to be calling you on phone? How do yu tell your colleagues you missed the bus if your few best friends are not picking their calls?

Additionally, when you stay in some countries up north (Europe and the like) some people are more comfortable giving you their Snapchat ID or Instagram handles than their telephone numbers...and believe it, when you change numbers once or twice it becomes hard to keep track of people on your contact list, contacts that will be quite beneficial in the future.

If you don't have at least one active account, you better start growing it now.

Forums are not social media

Social media is not worth it , it's used to be something interesting back in the dot com era now it's shit

The only social media or anything close to it I recommend is federated software or secure messengers

3 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Taribizy(m): 5:34am On Dec 27, 2023
I suspect you're seeking genuine advice so I will give you this:
Social media activity and healthy human interaction/communication are not the same thing. I know people who are very much active on SM with views and likes but can't hold up a real/decent conversation in real life. You may not need to be 100% crazy for your SM profile/activity but you must learn the art of human interaction, communication, negotiation, listening, speaking, discernment and emotional balance. Once you are balanced mentally, emotionally and spiritually you'll be fine

7 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by HugeElephant(f): 6:19am On Dec 27, 2023
Valerieee:
Thank you so much for this.
Even if you are ugly, you need to be seen.
You need people to see you.
Social media is very important
Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by duduade: 6:50am On Dec 27, 2023
After you start visiting all those Shiloh and Co for ten years consecutively on top seeking the right husband you want come back here abs re ask
Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Musty112: 6:51am On Dec 27, 2023
The crazy urge of people for fame and to be known cringes me. Some people are just like you and it makes sense. There are a lot of very popular people who have zero social media presence, and I envy them. What is yours will come, u don't need to advertise yourself.

1 Like

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 7:35am On Dec 27, 2023
Musty112:
The crazy urge of people for fame and to be known cringes me. Some people are just like you and it makes sense. There are a lot of very popular people who have zero social media presence, and I envy them. What is yours will come, u don't need to advertise yourself.
Thank you
Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by SuperOnyi: 7:50am On Dec 27, 2023
Valerieee:

A little background about myself. I am a young girl of 21. Studying at one of the prestigious universities in Nigeria and currently in 300L. Is it weird that I have zero to no social media presence like people of my age. People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them Its been years I visited my Facebook and Instagram accounts, I find it boring and not interesting atall. I don't even have the apps on my phone anymore though I still have the passwords but zero urge to visit those sites. I still take pictures, infact I love taking pictures but I just store them in my google photos, no urge to share on social media at all. Sometimes I share on my Whatsapp status which has my family (Mom, Dad and siblings) alone as contacts. My roommate thinks am making a big mistake and may not get a good guy as a partner since I also rarely go out. I really wish I can change and post more or even become more active on social media but I just love my privacy and being anonymous.

Please those who are more experienced on these things should advice me, am I losing so much by being invisible Online? Offline I am very outgoing and have no problems communicating with people and friends but Online is something else.

shocked

Don't worry you're not alone, I haven't logged on my Facebook, IG, or Twitter (which is just an account I use to check things out once in a while) for a long time now and I still don't feel like to... I don't even know how tik tok works.

I will someday, but I hope it's not too late for me. So take your time to reflect and if it's not what you want, there are many other places you can meet people and social media is just one of them โ€” it's not all of them. Get it?

4 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Gadafii: 8:14am On Dec 27, 2023
You donโ€™t have to put your personal life online but you will miss a lot if you are not socially connected

The world has gone digital years ago, get socialize, go online and see whatโ€™s up with the outside world, make connections and please try to go outside and socialize once in a while itโ€™s very important

Most of the things I learn and know today were from the streets, because I was street savvy from a vey early age even tho I barely had the luxury to go anywhere I wanted, but witching my locality i mingled with all and sundry, the bad and the good and that gave me diverted view about the trees of life

1 Like

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by KingLennon(m): 8:45am On Dec 27, 2023
Nicepoker:
Flesh and blood did not reveal this unto you cheesy

1 Like

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by KingLennon(m): 8:47am On Dec 27, 2023
If to say you know wetin God don do for you like this, you go appreciate am. Social media is a fake world sad

3 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Moneyyman: 9:54am On Dec 27, 2023
Valerieee

Believe me, you're not weird. Having a social media presence may not be necessary unless you want to build a business or brand.

You can keep your Facebook active if you want old classmates and colleagues to find you, but there's really nothing to be lost from not being active on social media.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by LeeSmart: 9:58am On Dec 27, 2023
Nicepoker:
This one is trying to sell us that good girl vibes. We are not buying
U're wicked
Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by thesolutions(m): 10:20am On Dec 27, 2023
Valerieee:

April
Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by laivwire(m): 10:37am On Dec 27, 2023
LooneyLester:

Forums are not social media

Social media is not worth it , it's used to be something interesting back in the dot com era now it's shit

The only social media or anything close to it I recommend is federated software or secure messengers
I'm done with this conversation.

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Therock5555(m): 12:00pm On Dec 27, 2023
Op being anonymous is fun, you can literally enter any where if you can cover your tracks nicely.

But I also have a large SM following despite my anonymity, so I've learned to juggle both worlds perfectly.

I don't chat on Facebook, I have just 2+ photos but I receive more than 20 Facebook friend request each day, once awhile, I tap some of them to my WhatsApp where I build my networking.(You don't know where your destiny helpers at)

On the other hand, I live my private life completely out of SM.

Time to time, both worlds do collide when I want.

The goal is to build yourself and networks, you don't know, that Facebook toaster might connect you to a job someday. Just family and close won't cut it out for you on the long run.

You mustn't sacrifice your anonymity either, this year, I've just posted my picture twice on my WhatsApp status, but I've added more than 200 online pals who haven't seen my face but we flow perfectly.

You're still young. You still have lots to learn.

Remember no be only SM them dey find husband, if you have the right features and character, sooner rather than later, you'll come home and see men coming to see your folks.

SM not used wisely can be very destructive.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by NFBI: 12:31pm On Dec 27, 2023
Valerieee:

we were like this in the 90s while growing up so i see nothing wrong
Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by AfahaAbia(m): 2:26pm On Dec 27, 2023
Valerieee:

Send me a message to kaladajumbo74@gmail.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

C / Where Can I Get Uk Used Blackberry Phone To Buy? / Clean Uk Used Bb Bold2, Bolb 4 & Curve2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.