Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

What Happened To Christmas Cards? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Happened To Christmas Cards? (15320 Views)

Wonder Woman 1984′ Release Date Pushed To Christmas / 6 Days To Christmas, ATM Queues Pile Up. / Xan's Foundation Countdown To Christmas Giveaways. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by femi4: 3:36pm On Dec 27, 2023
Birdbyrde440:
If you're a 90's baby you will understand what I mean.

Back in the day there used to be Christmas and New Cards, this is another stark reminder on how technology can render a whole industry redundant in one fell swoop!
Same thing that happened to letters in envelopes. Technology left them behind
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by uuzba(m): 3:36pm On Dec 27, 2023
THey disappeared with the demise of NIPOST
Birthday card is still available because when you buy it, you will carry it to the person's house to deliver.
And remain in the house to eat rice and cake.
Christmas card does not need you to carry about. You are sending to somebody and the person is sending to you.
So it is best to stay in your house and post the card.
But since Nigerian post office is messed up, then people just sit at home with no card instead.
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by uuzba(m): 3:46pm On Dec 27, 2023
femi4:
Same thing that happened to letters in envelopes. Technology left them behind
Stupidity left them behind.
UK that l lived in for 4 good years, with 24/7 Electricity, unlimited internet, and phone calls,
Those one are still using post office ON TOP of all that technology to POST cards and invitations and parcels.
Shey is Oyibo country? NO UPS or DHL there, just ordinary Royalmail POST OFFICE posting letters front and back.
Tell me, shey we are more advanced than them?

Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by uuzba(m): 3:46pm On Dec 27, 2023
uuzba:

Stupidity left them behind.
UK that l lived in for 4 good years, with 24/7 Electricity, unlimited internet, and phone calls,
Those one are still using post office ON TOP of all that technology to POST cards and invitations and parcels.
Shey is Oyibo country? NO UPS or DHL there, just ordinary Royalmail POST OFFICE posting letters front and back.
Tell me, shey we are more advanced than them?

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by donshaddow(m): 3:47pm On Dec 27, 2023
OneCandleAway:

Technology took over. Now email. Sms, videos
. Just like postal stamps hardly exist for letter posting.

Smiles.... Nigeria Post office is dead.
Printing press is dying.

Letters are still being posted in the UK.
Even faster than DHL.
Everywhere I turn to, there is a Christmas card. Even got one.
For a proof of address here in the UK, you need to have a postage mail from bank or utility.
Na we for naija just dey drive backwards.

It is well

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by mipeesoft(m): 3:55pm On Dec 27, 2023
E - cards have taken over
Birdbyrde440:

Back in the day there used to be Christmas and New Cards, this is another stark reminder on how technology can render a whole industry redundant in one fell swoop!
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by tsdarkside(m): 3:56pm On Dec 27, 2023
Birdbyrde440:

Life pre 1990 was limited, you only related with your immediate community... can you imagine that?
Obviously you don't have this shared reality, you can move along.

awwnn....soo cute....
move on joor....

thunder fire christmas....
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by moshuur(m): 3:58pm On Dec 27, 2023
Still here in the U.K
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by sylve11: 4:03pm On Dec 27, 2023
Obviouslyblunt:
Greedy poor Nigerians stopped valuing the genuineness of gifts and started admiring fake life and show off.

You're correct. cool

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by Niok: 4:08pm On Dec 27, 2023
Facts when I was younger I used to see a whole bunch of them at my house received by my parents
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by sylve11: 4:10pm On Dec 27, 2023
snowland:
Cards are still very much in use in advanced countries. I've received over 40 Christmas cards and also gave out about 25 cards between last week and now.
There's that aura of grandiose that comes with physical cards that's lacking in the digital ones.

I hardly read digital cards sent to me but be rest assured that I'll read if you give me a physical card.

Seems I have seen my kind.

I don't open those digital cards. sad cool
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by ayo6hammiey(m): 4:40pm On Dec 27, 2023
Na for Africa we stop am. I live outside the Nigerian and for every gift I've got this Christmas, a Christmas card comes with it
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by silibaba: 4:49pm On Dec 27, 2023
Birdbyrde440:

Is like asking for cassette, when we are in the age of flashdrive grin
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by Proudlyngwa(m): 4:49pm On Dec 27, 2023
Areacleo:
i don't own or can't wear a wristwatch anymore, the smart phone has made that obsolete, I don't know why people still spend money on it, it's an old fa's, same thing will happen to alot of things in my opinion, things like Jewelries is becoming and old fad no matter if it diamond, gold or whatever, Gold might still hold some value due to its use in electronics, also Platinum, but others especially jewelries are going to go out of fad pretty soon and value dropping.
Same will go for those priceless piece of arts their value are going to crash because generation Z and woke generations careless about those things also.

You won't appreciated a wrist watch until u work in the military, oil industry or any industry that does not approve R.F signals around it.
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by jubrilELsudan: 5:04pm On Dec 27, 2023
TECHNOLOGY DIDN'T TAKE OVER..... NIGERIANS BECAME TOO BROKE TO AFFORD CARDS

HERE ABROAD WE STILL BUY CARDS LIKE NO MANS BUSINESS WETHER NA BIRTHDAY.... CHRISTMAS..... ANNIVERSAIRES ETC

Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by just2endowed: 5:06pm On Dec 27, 2023
i used to designed christmass card then, I will buy differnt colours of marker and a hard paper with scissors.

It was fun designing and drawing.
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by gidjah(m): 5:08pm On Dec 27, 2023
Yes olive still had her sanity back then,our craze was still minimal, and our parents were enough and there to cure our craze unlike this generation wey we dey part of the craze ! But do you notice we are almost the cause of this mess (our generation then progressed into the adults of today )so in short terms it seem he gojd kids of the 70s and 80s are now the BAD PARENTS OF D GENRATION AI !!
Beremx:
Everything about 90s still the best especially being a teen during that era. From music to lifestyle and general state of the nation.
Time has really changed
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by Ishilove: 5:13pm On Dec 27, 2023
Beremx:
Everything about 90s still the best especially being a teen during that era. From music to lifestyle and general state of the nation.
Time has really changed
xoxo 😘

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by gidjah(m): 5:13pm On Dec 27, 2023
Still got almost all the collections I got years back from friends and fams. I so cherish cards way back then that I haven't been able to recover from them till date !.May be na only me , I still place value to physical cards than all these una online greetings oo !how do you store them as treasures if not through hard copies BIKO ? I ha e refused to throw away the seasons/birthday cards my exes gave me during our school and out of school days, can some one counsel me on what or how to handle them ?
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by lomprico(m): 5:47pm On Dec 27, 2023
Birdbyrde440:

Smart phones
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by JustPowerApps(m): 5:57pm On Dec 27, 2023
They retired cheesy
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by itsene: 6:13pm On Dec 27, 2023
What happened to Post office?
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by Areacleo: 6:25pm On Dec 27, 2023
Proudlyngwa:

You won't appreciated a wrist watch until u work in the military, oil industry or any industry that does not approve R.F signals around it.
i will appreciate anything tool that will make me work.. In those industries a wristwatch or any other non radio time telling piece is required, since am not in any of those industries.. Why should I wear a wristwatch? For fashion? Or to decorate my hand.
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by justking(m): 6:26pm On Dec 27, 2023
Phone has taken over
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by Mayflowa(m): 6:30pm On Dec 27, 2023
Helpfromabove1:
I don’t think it’s technology , we still have Christmas cards in other part of the world
We have technology more early in other part of the world before nigeria and cards still exist
I feel it Nigerian value system that happened to cards

For example lovely flowers is not appreciated by Nigerian babe but still very much appreciated in other part of the world

Nigerian value system does not appreciate lovely cards either Christmas or birthday cards

Who card help

1000+ likes

America, Canada, Europe still have physical cards inspite of technology. And people rush to buy them. They are appreciated when given out. Technology is not the issue. Nigerians don't value non-monetary gift or expression of love.
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by AkpaMgbor(m): 6:43pm On Dec 27, 2023
Chaii especially those cards that play a tune when you open them. I miss my childhood in the early to mid 90s.
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by finallybusy: 7:14pm On Dec 27, 2023
Send me a WhatsApp message. Cards are paper holding valueless messages. After the one week of Christmas and New Year festivities, they go into the bin. I’ve never seen anyone store cards dating from the 1970s into the 2000s. They are worthless — end of story.
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by Godsknight(m): 7:36pm On Dec 27, 2023
Birdbyrde440:

It is only in Africa that the culture has been eroded. people still give cards during xmas in advanced countries.
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by Beremx(f): 7:43pm On Dec 27, 2023
Ishilove:

xoxo 😘
babe.... compliments of the season grin
Re: What Happened To Christmas Cards? by shonepa(m): 8:31pm On Dec 27, 2023
Make una dey speak for Nigeria, greeting cards is still a thing, eapecially xmas and newyear. Feel free to check the stats.

I sent them and recieved cards for xmas.

Nigerians, especially be Asewo, na we go quick carry oyinbo things leave am if we see new one. Na Oyinbo culture, so i no too blame Africans/Nigeria for this.

Natbrowny:

Facts and also. People dont appreciate cards anymore.. They have evolved.

Money is the new gift. What a world

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ticket To Oil And Gas Gala Night Goes For N10M, And N300M For Table. / 2021 Checklist: What Did You Achieve In The Year 2021? (Photo) / Have You Achieved Your 2015 Goals?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.