Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,222 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? (9428 Views)

How He Was Duped Of N50,000 In UBA In Lagos (photo) / How Profitable Is Rental Business? / How Profitable Is Bakery Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by Cwhyte(m): 3:59pm On Nov 02, 2011
Investing N500,000 In Blogging, How Profitable?

Good day peeps, my friend and I are thinking of investing N500, 000 in blogging, do u think that's  reasonable and will be profitable?

Our passion is on Entertainment, Lifestyle and Sports and we'll be writing about that.

The huge sum will be for advertisement, both on google and facebook and also to build an SEO friendly blog.  We hope to have at least 30,000 facebook fans.

We'll feature affiliate marketing, google adsense and also sell paid banner ads.
So please, do u think our Return On Investment wud be ok. How profitable is blogging?

Thanks all.
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by MrGlobe(m): 8:42pm On Nov 02, 2011
Nice one. It'll be a hit or miss however. First impression matters. You need to add politics into the mix for more hits since no single sector in Nigeria pull a very high interest online. It has to be in the model of huffingtonpost. It is needed. Am a passive blogger too. If you need consultation or advice or strategy hit me on
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by UncleJJ(m): 9:47pm On Nov 02, 2011
First off - your initial investment is to high. Did, you come up with this number through research - or did you guys just guess that it would cost such an amount.

Sites, like nairaland could be making thrice of what they recieve from adsense - if they ventured into 'selected advertising' where companies negotiate on the amount of money they would be able to pay for space.

You guys should understand, business online is very competitive - but also very cheap, if u know what u are doing. Like i said 500k is too much money. No matter what sort of blog your planning on building. Before, you start - please choose the keywords you will be willing to rank for determine how much traffic it could , send to you then decide on how much you want to put into it as a start.

Remember, every business starts by running as a loss - before the profits start rolling in. Do you have any prior experience in this? If you dont , make sure you find someone who has, and make him a partner - not a consultant. He must also, contribute money, if he does not have he - must contribute his vast experience as an adviser of sorts.

I repeat - no consultants - Nigerians go cheat u with that.

Decide on how you are going to monetise the site, maintain and diversify by re-investing in other promising areas on the net.

I currently make $100+ every month via cpa . I know what am talking bout. "5ook too much"
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by LagBlogger(m): 12:36am On Nov 03, 2011
OP

Personally I will not advice you to start out until you have tested the waters. I know some bloggers who make thousands of dollars monthly using free blogging services such as blogger and hubpages. There is no harm in trying out free blogging service for a while.

On the other hand the business might be successful but consider that specific niches make money from adsense and not general niches (which is what you might be doing) like politics, entertainment and so on.

But all the same good luck you may find this topic interesting Make money Blogging in Nigeria
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by Cwhyte(m): 12:07pm On Nov 03, 2011
I currently make $100+ every month via cpa . I know what am talking bout. "5ook too much"
@ UncleJJ , is cpa the same as cpm (cost per impression) which ad network are u using?
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by UncleJJ(m): 1:22pm On Nov 03, 2011
@ UncleJJ , is cpa the same as cpm (cost per impression) which ad network are u using?
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by UncleJJ(m): 4:48pm On Nov 03, 2011

C.whyte- CPA and CPM are different. In CPM, you get paid for every thousand impressions, while for CPA you get paid for each conversion.

Its much harder to make a descent earning from CPM, since you need to have high traffic for that. In CPA, a user complete offers, each offer ranges from .50cents to $20 on conversion. So, if you can convert 20 leads a day on a $5 offer you'd make $100/day. Its quite simple!

The CPA company, i work for is called Adscendmedia. It accepts international affiliates, all you have to do is fill a W8 form and then you can start receiving your payments. However, you need a paypal account to colllect monies ranging from $50 to $1000. As an international affiliate, you can also receive your monies via DOM accounts but you can only get that when you make $1000 and above.

C.Whyte, what industry do you guys plan to target ? You should consider using CPA for monetization, though if that would be the road you'd thread, you will have to do a little more research on lucrative "categories" which "convert".

I suggest you look at the entertainment industry - the gaming and movies area is doing very well for many of us. And, ooh - if you like, i could send you some materials that could educate you on CPA and its technicalities.

And, yes its free,  but its quite a download so you need to have a fast internet connection. But, in my opinion its the finest CPA course i've seen.

Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by ArQuAbOy(m): 9:42am On Nov 05, 2011
This one is for the men who see the sun at mid night
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by kayjegs: 12:07pm On Nov 05, 2011
@c.whyte, Nice idea but obviously 500K is too much for blogging. With the little I know, successful blogging is more of the key words, good topics and generating lots of traffic. Strategic advert can help with that and it does not necessary have to be too much. I have web based business idea that could work hand in hand with your blogging. It will be mutually rewarding. I can partner with you on this so that we can together do something meaningful. The partnership will somewhat be that we will both operate as different entities for mutual benefit. I want to start this next week, so no time wasting. You can call me up on 08053152746 too.
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by kayjegs: 12:08pm On Nov 05, 2011
@c.whyte, Nice idea but obviously 500K is too much for blogging. With the little I know, successful blogging is more of the key words, good topics and generating lots of traffic. Strategic advert can help with that and it does not necessary have to be too much. I have web based business idea that could work hand in hand with your blogging. It will be mutually rewarding. I can partner with you on this so that we can together do something meaningful. The partnership will somewhat be that we will both operate as different entities for mutual benefit. I want to start this next week, so no time wasting. You can call me up on 08053152746 too.
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by kayjegs: 12:14pm On Nov 05, 2011
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by Energy48(m): 4:02pm On Nov 05, 2011
Am I missing something? I blog all the time for FREE. I don't have to pay anyone a penny to do so. Therefore, why would one need to invest N500,000 into something everyone else does for FREE?
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by otokx(m): 7:04pm On Nov 05, 2011
@energy 48, me i tire for some people o
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by naijadot: 7:34pm On Nov 05, 2011
It best to start out blogging gradually and see how your concept grows. Its not advisable to put in so much initially.
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by viceb: 8:44pm On Nov 05, 2011
Men dont waste that much fund in blogging, write me and email and I will give u a link to a software that will solve your problem for less that amount. Cheers.

princeviceb@yahoo.com
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by ov: 9:12pm On Nov 05, 2011
Hey, uncle jj.
Please i am also interested in this biz and i have actually started but the earnings i make are miserable. VERY. so i kinda stopped updating it.

I am only running ads from adsense but this cpa u talking about makes sense.

please i will b gratefull if u can send materials to me. my email add is ovedeotite@gmail.com
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by Energy48(m): 9:30pm On Nov 05, 2011
ov:

Hey, uncle jj.
Please i am also interested in this biz and i have actually started but the earnings i make are miserable. VERY. so i kinda stopped updating it.

please i will b gratefull if u can send materials to me. my email add is ovedeotite@gmail.com

Trust me on this. What you are experiencing is the gospel truth. Learn from it. There is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, so don't allow desperation to cloud your better judgement. Anyone claiming you can make a fortune out of blogging or adsense is lying. Don't let anyone fool you into buying any book claiming blogging or adsense will make you rich, because it wont.
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by Lotterysun: 10:29pm On Nov 05, 2011
I will show you how to make thousands of dollars/money without spending one kobo
How?
I do it every month
I sell my 150 products plus month on average/average
I sell as much for others
Requirements
Give your customers what they are looking for
Do not cut corners
Write me if you need more info.
I will give you all you need free
Have good heart
Be willing to help at least one poor family/kid back home
All the best

1 Like

Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by UncleJJ(m): 11:13pm On Nov 05, 2011
Hey, uncle jj.

Trust me on this. What you are experiencing is the gospel truth. Learn from it. There is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, so don't allow desperation to cloud your better judgement. Anyone claiming you can make a fortune out of blogging or adsense is lying. Don't let anyone fool you into buying any book claiming blogging or adsense will make you rich, because it wont.

@Energy48 - i said i aint selling this stuff, its free and its not just an ebook - its got over 10 videos , (douche bag)

1 Like

Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by MeandSum: 3:32am On Nov 06, 2011
@poster-  you are about right on the price tag (I figured that's about $3200).

You'll need a good web design - I guess you could get a great design in Nigeria including professional worpress integration for around $500
Avoid using any adnetwork other than adsense from google - none of them pay even 50% of what google pays. Beside, with google, you don't have to worry someone is cheating you out of what you deserve in ad fees.

I know this from experience working with some of the " best next ad network". They don't work. media.net and lijit.com are the only two I've tried on my network of sites that gave me anything close to half of what I make with adsense- only use then If you hate Google for whatsoever reason.

Don't expect to make any money in the first 6 months.
Avoid using special script - like viceb above is offering. They'll end up messing things up for you.
Avoid buying 150 products to resell, you'll not sell any of those - you'll only end up making the guy above you in the pyramid scheme rich.  If you really want to sell online, just go to amazon, join their affiliate program and add their Omakase widget to your blog. You DON'T Need to pay anyone anything.

Use US based hosting when you start. They're a lot cheaper and more reliable.  

To succeed online, your site has to offer fresh and unique content. Hire a professional writer if you don't have the time.

Check out your competition and ask yourself what you can do better. Again, design and site structure is one of the most important decision you have to make. A site I bought few months ago went from averaging $1200-$1500 a month to $3800. All I did was redesign the site and change the color of the ads and move them around (closer to the top of the pages).
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by MeandSum: 6:29am On Nov 06, 2011
Energy48:

I beg to differ! I paid off my mortgage and a lot of other things with adsense a long ,  long time ago. I have friends who make 30-50K US a month through adsense. I know of a lady with a children book blog that makes 18K from adsense and around 6-8K from amazon associate (from just one site)!

But i should quickly add here that DO NOT BUY any book that promise to show you how to make x amount of money. They are all thieves.

1 Like

Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by Mcleo007(m): 7:41am On Nov 06, 2011
500K is too much! IMO.
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by Lotterysun: 1:50pm On Nov 06, 2011
How I make money on line
I started with ads. It didn't work for me and so many out there. The money from ads do not equal up to 1% of the hype. I tried several companies and had same result.
I was determined to make my own part of the internet money.
I went back to the drawing board and read everything I could for one month.
I took away the FACT that people are looking for the right information to solve their problems.
I embarked on writing books and magazines. You can do the same with your own area of expertise and passion.
I wrote two books that made me $26 the first month. The books made $43 in the second month. I had no money to market the books. I knew that the monthly sales revenue is likely going to increase if I have more titles.
I continued relentless and ended up with 8 books.
I made one of the books available free. The book became very successful. I gave out good information and used it to let the readers know about the other books.
I started writing articles for some good outfits including Guzzle, Yahoo Network, Blogger, Scribed, You , slide share and Briefing wire.
I get paid monthly from Yahoo Network for my articles. One of the articles got over 800 reads in two days.
I got links from some of them back to my website.
I carefully chose the title of the free book to capture the keywords + tags. The key word eventually moved from page 8 all the way to page one (1). I did it in less than six months.
The title now shows up as #2 right after that of Google.
Slide share was very instrumental in accomplishing that goal.
Meanwhile my sales moved from $43 to $112 to $321 to $740 monthly and it has been climbing ever since.
You have to do some work. I have over three thousand articles on line. All of them are geared towards selling my books and magazines.
I am at this point one of the people that make some critical internal decisions for one of the biggest on line platforms to help sell their products worldwide.
You will find my books on Barnes and Noble as well as other bookstores worldwide.
I am now writing similar books under pen name (legal). The goal is to have a total of 15 books out there.
You can do this on any interest/subject.
I am not giving you this information to boast. I couldn't have done it without God. I am making this information available in open forum to hopefully help someone trying to start.
Do not worry about making money first. The readers will reward you. They will validate your work.
They will only if you do not cut corners.
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by Energy48(m): 2:04pm On Nov 06, 2011
Thank you Lotterysun. What you posted is the gospel truth. It takes HARD WORK and dedication. You have to write a lot of articles (in your case 3000 and books) to start earning any decent money on the net. I am in the same business so I know. Anything short of that is a scam.
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by Lotterysun: 2:24pm On Nov 06, 2011
Thank you Energy48
God bless
Re: How Profitable Is Investing N500,000 In Blogging? by Mcleo007(m): 3:31pm On Nov 06, 2011
Lotterysun:

How I make money on line
I started with ads. It didn't work for me and so many out there. The money from ads do not equal up to 1% of the hype. I tried several companies and had same result.
I was determined to make my own part of the internet money.
I went back to the drawing board and read everything I could for one month.
I took away the FACT that people are looking for the right information to solve their problems.
I embarked on writing books and magazines. You can do the same with your own area of expertise and passion.
I wrote two books that made me $26 the first month. The books made $43 in the second month. I had no money to market the books. I knew that the monthly sales revenue is likely going to increase if I have more titles.
I continued relentless and ended up with 8 books.
I made one of the books available free. The book became very successful. I gave out good information and used it to let the readers know about the other books.
I started writing articles for some good outfits including Guzzle, Yahoo Network, Blogger, Scribed, You , slide share and Briefing wire.
I get paid monthly from Yahoo Network for my articles. One of the articles got over 800 reads in two days.
I got links from some of them back to my website.
I carefully chose the title of the free book to capture the keywords + tags. The key word eventually moved from page 8 all the way to page one (1). I did it in less than six months.
The title now shows up as #2 right after that of Google.
Slide share was very instrumental in accomplishing that goal.
Meanwhile my sales moved from $43 to $112 to $321 to $740 monthly and it has been climbing ever since.
You have to do some work. I have over three thousand articles on line. All of them are geared towards selling my books and magazines.
I am at this point one of the people that make some critical internal decisions for one of the biggest on line platforms to help sell their products worldwide.
You will find my books on Barnes and Noble as well as other bookstores worldwide.
I am now writing similar books under pen name (legal). The goal is to have a total of 15 books out there.
You can do this on any interest/subject.
I am not giving you this information to boast. I couldn't have done it without God. I am making this information available in open forum to hopefully help someone trying to start.
Do not worry about making money first. The readers will reward you. They will validate your work.
They will only if you do not cut corners.

Wow!

(1) (2) (Reply)

$48b Forex Inflows, $45b Reserves Stabilise Naira / Starting Up An IT Outsourcing Company / Fire Guts Mile 12 Diesel Market In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.