Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

“Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON (27295 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa: Jay Jay Okocha Speaks On AFCON Quarter-final Clash / Yaya Toure Leaves Olympiacos After Three Months! / George Weah Backs Super Eagles To Win 2018 Russia World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

“Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by robosky02(m): 3:34pm On Dec 28, 2023
“Talk is cheap” – Barcelona star backs Super Eagles to disappoint Yaya Toure, impress at the 2023 AFCON

The former Manchester City midfielder is convinced three-time winners Nigeria are not among the favourites to win the continental championship next month

Super Falcons and Barcelona Ladies forward Asisat Oshoala has taken a firm stance against Ivorian football legend Yaya Toure’s recent prediction regarding Nigeria’s performance in the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations, Soccernet.ng reports.

Nigeria will compete in Group A at the AFCON alongside hosts Ivory Coast, Guinea-Bissau, and Equatorial Guinea.

Ivory Coast (two titles) and Nigeria (three titles) are the only former champions in the group and the favourites to qualify for the knockout rounds.

However, Ivorian legend Toure backed his country and Guinea-Bissau to make it past the group stage and reach the latter phases of the competition.

Still, Oshoala is not impressed by Toure’s submission.

In a chat with Brila FM, the six-time Africa Women Player of the Year dismissed Toure’s skepticism while backing Nigeria’s talented strikers to lift the Super Eagles to glory.

“Talk is cheap. When we get to the tournament, we will separate the boys from the men,” Oshoala said.

“Why not? We have the almighty Osimhen, the best player in Africa; we have Boniface doing well at club level. I feel like we have a good team; it’s not about individual talent.

“I feel like we have a good team, and we have enough time to build up towards the tournament.”

Nigeria boast some of the best attackers in Africa, with Napoli striker Victor Osimhen rated as the most valuable player on the continent.

The 2023 Africa Footballer of the Year was the top scorer during the qualification campaign, netting ten goals in six games.

https://soccernet.ng/2023/12/talk-is-cheap-barcelona-star-backs-super-eagles-to-disappoint-yaya-toure-impress-at-the-2023-afcon.html

11 Likes

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by TemplarLandry: 3:38pm On Dec 28, 2023
cool
I diss Yaya Toure with “Disconnect” by Young John.
Great jam!

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by robosky02(m): 3:47pm On Dec 28, 2023
Meanwhile in an earlier interview

Yaya Toure had said:

Ivory Coast hero Yaya Toure believes Nigeria’s Super Eagles will fail group stage test at AFCON 2023

The former Barcelona ace won the continental championships eight years ago and has tipped the Elephants to repeat the feat on home soil

Former Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure has tipped his country to host and win the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations, Soccernet.ng reports.

Toure, who won the 2015 AFCON with Ivory Coast, also believes Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, Morocco, and South Africa will be the major contenders for the title in January.

Interestingly, Nigeria have been drawn together with Ivory Coast and Guinea-Bissau in Group A at the AFCON, with Equatorial Guinea completing the quartet.

Only two teams can advance from the group stage to the Round of 16.

With Toure backing Ivory Coast and Guinea-Bissau to be in the mix during the latter stages of the competition, the former Manchester City man does not see the Super Eagles making it out of Group A.

Nigeria not only boast the Africa Player of the Year in their fold, but the Super Eagles also scored the most goals during the qualifying campaign.

However, in explaining the rationale behind his choice of favourites, Toure revealed he fancied teams that impressed during the qualifiers would bring their momentum to Ivory Coast in January.

“It’s normal to have a preference for your own country,” Toure said, as per Afrique Sports.

“Côte d’Ivoire has a strong team and many talented and experienced players.

“But if I had to choose the teams I think are favourites, I’d say Senegal, Morocco, Guinea-Bissau, and South Africa. They had an impressive qualifying campaign.”

Nigeria have won the Africa Cup of Nations three times. In 19 previous appearances, the Super Eagles have only exited the tournament at the group stage twice – in 1963 and 1982.
Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by robosky02(m): 3:56pm On Dec 28, 2023
Please someone should remind
Yaya Toure that Cote d ivore were the favourite to win the AFCON in 2013 until Sunday MBA scored in the 77 the minutes at the semi finals to give Nigeria a 2-1 win

70 Likes 10 Shares

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:02pm On Dec 28, 2023
Gbamsolutely!
Our Golden Girl has spoken.

Talk is cheap.
When we get to the tournament, we will separate the boys from the men,” Oshoala said.
“Why not? We have the almighty Osimhen, the best player in Africa
We only hope our boys won't disappoint us again though.
Missing out on the last World Cup still hurts.
Super Eagles playing like Super Chickens back then.
Btw,
We need a good Goal Keeper to man the goal post,
Not the basket we have there presently biko.

Meanwhile,
Take note of this Football Fans ⚽️,
The continent's showpiece event, which kicks off on 13 January and ends on 11 February.
The tournament being officially branded as '2023' even though the finals are taking place in 2024.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:03pm On Dec 28, 2023
Agba Baller has spoken the truth and nothing but the truth....

After initially announcing Oshoala as the MVP in the emphatic win over the Portuguese club, Barcelona, on their official Twitter handle, put up another post on Thursday; labelling the Nigerian star 'Agba baller,' which in the Yoruba language means veteran football star.

Meanwhile,
Take note of this Football Fans ⚽️,
The continent's showpiece event, which kicks off on 13 January and ends on 11 February.
The tournament being officially branded as '2023' even though the finals are taking place in 2024.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by IamDora(f): 4:03pm On Dec 28, 2023
How many men on NL can play football like Oshoala?

And you tell me what a man can do, a woman can't do better undecided

3 Likes

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by GanagiBitrus: 4:03pm On Dec 28, 2023
I stand with Oshoala on this.

But Peseiro should find a replacement for Uzoho.

10 Likes

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by slaawomirr: 4:04pm On Dec 28, 2023
Damnnn niggar

The kind love way this oshoala get for Osimhen is second to non

I can bet my balls Osimhen is the reason he is supporting super eagles
I get that feeling say them go don first bang before

Anyway me nor too get wetin to talk concerning the tournament but one thing I'm sure of is that our opponents to score us over 0.5 sure for me when the tournament starts

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by Totilopussylick(m): 4:04pm On Dec 28, 2023
cool

Yaya Toure should leave our super eagles biko tongue

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by Coolhaywhy(m): 4:05pm On Dec 28, 2023
Truth be told, that Naija team is overrated jare.

3 Likes

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by sexiestharam(f): 4:06pm On Dec 28, 2023
Yaya is right...

3 Likes

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by sweetjohn(m): 4:06pm On Dec 28, 2023
For those with low PB looking to increase their PB should support Super Eagle for fast result

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by Vinnie2000(m): 4:07pm On Dec 28, 2023
Hehehe.

Oshoala, no be by mouth o. sad

Super eagles can Actually Disappoint if they want. undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by Irupetepete: 4:08pm On Dec 28, 2023
TemplarLandry:
cool
nairaland prison Don release this nairaland prison exconvict..
I pray you behave this time around and stop dedicating rubbish

4 Likes

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by Sonnobax15(m): 4:08pm On Dec 28, 2023
lipsrsealed
Even tho we may want to sound like patriots but deep down inside our blokos we all know what yaya said was nothing be the truth lipsrsealed

11 Likes

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by jmoore(m): 4:08pm On Dec 28, 2023
With Uzoho as 1st choice keeper, Yaya Toure ain't far from the truth.

6 Likes

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by Pootle: 4:09pm On Dec 28, 2023
at max 3rd place undecided

1 Like

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by iamtardey: 4:10pm On Dec 28, 2023
IamDora:

peeleh

1 Like

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by omenka1: 4:10pm On Dec 28, 2023
sad No go put ur hope on SE ooo
I dey warn u cos dem sabi give person high BP
Even if u nor be mathematician, u go do permutations by force because of SE
Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by Irupetepete: 4:10pm On Dec 28, 2023
IamDora:

abeg cover your tangerine, there is nothing there to see
Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by FeliciaOja(f): 4:10pm On Dec 28, 2023
Ok
Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by OKUCHI11(m): 4:12pm On Dec 28, 2023
IamDora:

make women begin dey do transfer now...

To most endeavor a woman is using to brag... men have dominated that place a thousand times

1 Like

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by Usmanovic95(m): 4:13pm On Dec 28, 2023
With Peseiro giving instructions at the dugout, I'm not optimistic as well. The man's statistics is not encouraging to draw inspiration from.Its better to lower expectations than to be disappointed hoping for a miracle to happen.

5 Likes

Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by Chevrolet076(m): 4:14pm On Dec 28, 2023
robosky02:
“Talk is cheap” – Barcelona star backs Super Eagles to disappoint Yaya Toure, impress at the 2023 AFCON

The former Manchester City midfielder is convinced three-time winners Nigeria are not among the favourites to win the continental championship next month

Super Falcons and Barcelona Ladies forward Asisat Oshoala has taken a firm stance against Ivorian football legend Yaya Toure’s recent prediction regarding Nigeria’s performance in the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations, Soccernet.ng reports.

Nigeria will compete in Group A at the AFCON alongside hosts Ivory Coast, Guinea-Bissau, and Equatorial Guinea.

Ivory Coast (two titles) and Nigeria (three titles) are the only former champions in the group and the favourites to qualify for the knockout rounds.

However, Ivorian legend Toure backed his country and Guinea-Bissau to make it past the group stage and reach the latter phases of the competition.

Still, Oshoala is not impressed by Toure’s submission.

In a chat with Brila FM, the six-time Africa Women Player of the Year dismissed Toure’s skepticism while backing Nigeria’s talented strikers to lift the Super Eagles to glory.

“Talk is cheap. When we get to the tournament, we will separate the boys from the men,” Oshoala said.

“Why not? We have the almighty Osimhen, the best player in Africa; we have Boniface doing well at club level. I feel like we have a good team; it’s not about individual talent.

“I feel like we have a good team, and we have enough time to build up towards the tournament.”

Nigeria boast some of the best attackers in Africa, with Napoli striker Victor Osimhen rated as the most valuable player on the continent.

The 2023 Africa Footballer of the Year was the top scorer during the qualification campaign, netting ten goals in six games.

https://soccernet.ng/2023/12/talk-is-cheap-barcelona-star-backs-super-eagles-to-disappoint-yaya-toure-impress-at-the-2023-afcon.html

Make den no chop Asisat eye grin grin grin grin grin
Re: “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON by CyracksMrBlogger(m): 4:15pm On Dec 28, 2023
As if she will even play

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ronaldo Has Received 200 Votes MORE Than Messi Across Ballon D'or History / AFCON: 282 Held Over Unrest In France After Algeria Beat Nigeria / Fortuna Sittard Relief Sunday Oliseh Of His Duty "Over Abysmal Action'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.