Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,290 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

50% Transport Cut: We Were Not Carried Along—RTEAN, Transport Operators - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 50% Transport Cut: We Were Not Carried Along—RTEAN, Transport Operators (97 Views)

10 Key Impacts To Expect From Dangote’s Diesel Price Cut To N1,000 / FBI List: EFCC Goes After Bankers, BDC Operators Aiding Cybercriminals / ABC Transport Boss, Frank Nneji Gifts Two Buses To His Employees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

50% Transport Cut: We Were Not Carried Along—RTEAN, Transport Operators by Ezziezzy(m): 11:00pm On Jan 01
50% Transport Cut: We were not carried along—RTEAN, Transport Operators

…As travellers deny benefiting from FG's yuletide package

By Ezra Ukanwa, Abuja

AS concerns continue to grow regarding the implementation of the 50 per cent discount for inter-state travellers, the Road Transport Employers' Association of Nigeria (RTEAN), among other transport operators in Nigeria, have voiced their dissatisfaction, stating that they were not carried along in the decision-making and implementation process.

You would recall that on the 20th of December, President Tinubu through Mr. Dele Alake announced a 50 per cent discount on road transport travel across designated routes from December 21, 2023, to Jan 4, 2024, and free train rides across the country.

Also, the Presidency explained that the move is part of President Tinubu's efforts to enhance the well-being of Nigerians, especially during the festive season.

www currenttimesng.com had reported that the travel routes captured in the program include; Abuja, Lagos, Kano, Kaduna, Enugu, Port Harcourt, Owerri, Ibadan, Akure, Maiduguri, Sokoto, and other major inter-state transportation hubs.

[url]Current Times[/url] says the Chairman of the Presidential Committee on the implementation of the End of Year Transportation Subsidy Programme of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Mr. Dele Alake, on Monday on his Twitter handle, said that over 160,000 passengers have benefitted from the program which ends on the 4th of January 2024.

According to him, the initiative has been a huge success with both the Nigeria Railway Commission (NRC) and the Association of Luxury Bus Owners of Nigeria, (ALBON) recording huge numbers of passengers.

"As the Chairman of the Committee on the Implementation of the End of Year Transportation Subsidy Programme of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, I am pleased to report that our program has been a tremendous success, benefiting over 160,000 passengers across the country”, he added.

A breakdown of the figures according to the Chairman of the Committee reveals that the Nigerian Railway Commission (NRC) has ferried around 71,000 so far while the travellers conveyed under ALBON reached 77,122 during the period.

"I am proud to share that between December 21 and December 31, 2023, the NRC conveyed 71,000 passengers, while buses under ALBON carried 77,122 passengers”, he said.

However, three days to the climax of the presidential transportation waiver initiative, RTEAN which was supposed to be one of the major middlemen on the implementation of this innitiative, has denied any involvement in the process.

The General Secretary, RETEAN, Yusuf Ibrahim, who spoke with our correspondent over the telephone, said after the first closed door meeting held with the Federal Government, the Association has been in the dark, adding that FG sidelined them.

He said: “We have not been involved. At the initial, we were the people the government called and held meetings to discuss the modalities but as we speak, we have not signed any agreement with them and we are not doing so. That's the position of things.

“After we had a closed door meeting with the Federal Government, they said we are going to take off and we haven't still taken off so if I am telling you otherwise, I am just deceiving you. I don't know, maybe in the next future they may consider involving us.

“We have been the front runner and we even brought the solution to the problem and advised them how to go so that there will be proper accountability because we have a system whereby it is a cashless thing where everybody will be on record, you will have proper record on what everyone is doing and in all 774 LGA of the Federation, so all these parts we suggested to them but we don't know what criteria they put to make the decision that they made.

“We even told them them that all these transport operators are our member and if we are engaged, definitely, they will also be carried along.”

Our correspondent who also visited some of the branches of these transport operators, observed that while they were not complying with the 50 per cent discount for travellers, they also increased the cost of transport fares as compared to what it used to be about 2 weeks ago.

For example, the Young Shall Grow Motors, which is one of the official company identified by the federal government to implement the 50 per cent discount, increased it fares on its morning executive bus price from Abuja to Owerri and Umahia, which used to cost
N35,100, is now N38, 100, Abuja to Enugu, Onitsha which used to cost N35,100 is now N38,100, while Abuja to Abia and Port-Harcourt which used to cost N40, 000 is now N43,100.

Also, morning Hiace bus charges are: from Abuja to Port-Harcourt, Aba, used to be N32,100 but is now N37,100, Abuja to Owerri, Umahia, which used to cost N30,100, is now N32, 100 while Abuja to Enugu and Onitsha costs N29,100.

Our correspondent also observed that the only reduction was done for night travellers. For instance, Abuja to Lagos which used to be N26,100, is now N24,100, Abuja to Onitsha used to cost N22,100, is now 21,100, Abuja to Owerri used to be N24,100, is now N22,100 and Abuja to Abia and Port-Harcourt which used to be N26,100, is now N24,100.

Speaking with one of the branch managers who preferred anonymity, said: “Truth is we were not really carried along. I was not aware. People no longer trust the government. If they want to really do this type of a thing from a sincere mind, there are better ways to do it. We can't destroy our business to serve them. It is not done.

“For the implementation, I honestly don't know how that is going. Maybe people who are superior to me will know about that but I don't. All I know is that we reduced money for night travellers for luxurious buses so maybe that is what YSG did but I can't say.”

Some of the passengers who spoke to our correspondent denied benefiting from the new year 50 per cent subsidy.

Sunday Effiong, on of the travellers at Young Shall Grow Motors, Abuja, said: “When my wife brought the information about this thing the government said they want to do, I just laughed because we have always known the kind of Government we have. They speak from both sides of their mouths. You can see it, see what is boldly written there and we just asked the counter person who has denied that no 50 per cent discount is going on. So what are we saying?

“Well, maybe other Nigerians are benefiting from it but I have not. I am still paying very hight for transport fare that used to be N8, 000 to Lagos is now approximately N40,000 because they will still charge you for bags and all that. The government should stop all the watery promises. If truly they want to do this, there are better and more matured ways for them to ease Nigerians of their pains.”

Another traveller, Ngozi Mercy, who was bound for Owerri, said: “The money that was given to me by the company to pay was what I paid. They didn't tell me about any discount. Infact, there was no conversation about that.”

Get more details on the story on:
https://www.currenttimesng.com/2024/01/01/50-transport-cut-we-were-not-carried-along-rtean-transport-operators/

www.currenttimesng.com also known as Current Times or CT News, is a fast growing online newspaper medium with accurate, factual and objectively written story. Do well to check it out.

Re: 50% Transport Cut: We Were Not Carried Along—RTEAN, Transport Operators by Chicagograduate(m): 11:25pm On Jan 01
Tinubu is a scammer.
Re: 50% Transport Cut: We Were Not Carried Along—RTEAN, Transport Operators by matify83: 12:13am On Jan 02
They just confirmed our initial skepticism about the whole scheme.

Alake was shouting himself hoarse that the scheme was well planned and the 5 transportation companies chosen were carried along.

Is it now difficult to just say the truth as it is?

Waiting to hear the billions earmarked for this ill-fated scheme.

Fleece loading ............

(1) (Reply)

Single Mum Learning A Non TECH SKILLS “copywriter” / Genuine Dual Oil License For Sale / Four (4) Ways To MAKE BIG MONEY From "Foodstuffs Trading" Business.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.