Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,656 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness (5120 Views)

Poll: Which Is Worst?

Greed: 84% (22 votes)
Selfishness: 15% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Is Worse ? Principal Or Student? / Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? / Pride, Selfishness, Stupidity Or The Nigerian Way (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by blackbeau1(f): 1:09pm On Nov 03, 2011
pls guys i really need your input on this, i know both of them are undesireable traits but which is worse?
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by bekay911(f): 1:20pm On Nov 03, 2011
Both work hand in hand. If ur selfish dat means u r indirectly greedy and vice versa
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by r231(m): 1:54pm On Nov 03, 2011
All of the above
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by iice(f): 2:38pm On Nov 03, 2011
Greed
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by unongu(m): 9:43am On Nov 04, 2011
Na one boat carry the two of them, selfishness begets greed and greed is a by product of selfishness.
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by domack99(m): 10:19am On Nov 04, 2011
Greed can make your desperate and while been desperate you loose everything
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by 10Billion(m): 10:31am On Nov 04, 2011
domack99:

You took dat statement right out of my mouth. Was it not greed dat make Gaddafi of Libya 2 to loose evrything ihcluding his family?

Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by MissyB3(f): 10:35am On Nov 04, 2011
Selfishness is not a negative.
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by Gbenge77(m): 10:38am On Nov 04, 2011
Greed of course.
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by logica(m): 10:56am On Nov 04, 2011
You can be greedy and not selfish. Greed makes a man a billionaire; selfishness makes him keep all the money to himself. Yet we have philanthropic billionaires - meaning he's greedy but not selfish.
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by Heck: 10:59am On Nov 04, 2011
Greed and Selfishness are two different words with different meanings.
Every mortal is selfish, including pig, goat, fish etc. God, the almighty creator is selfish.
That is why He makes it clear that He is a jealous God. Read up idolatory. But the difference
is that God's love for the willing heart is superfluous. But His love for all is not equal. The loyal beings enjoy better protection
than others. But He has a large accommodating heart that hides this selfishness. Life is about SELFISM - my soul, my body,
my house, my babe/guy, my job, my country, myself, my people, my God, if you care less about your soul, hell becomes your lot.

Selfishness is not a bad attribute. It is a requirement from God. The diplomats call it self preservation. the lawyers call it self defence.
the opposite of love is not hate. it is greed. Love is selfless. hate is wickedness. Last Sunday we were told of the 10 maidens.
the selfish 5 were considered wise because they refused to share their little oil with the other 5. You have bigger duty to care for your
son than your neighbours son. Greed is evil. it is grabbing more than equity will give you. It is EXCESS SELFISHNESS.
Greed is avarice. It means taking more than your own share. There are categories of greed though
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by Sijo01(f): 11:12am On Nov 04, 2011
Both work 2gether.
If u'r greedy, u will be selfish.
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by highland(m): 11:18am On Nov 04, 2011
Selfishness is the root of greediness.
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by omo9ja1(m): 11:40am On Nov 04, 2011
both mean the same to me tongue
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by oneuniquemind(m): 11:53am On Nov 04, 2011
Greed na baba
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by claremont(m): 12:02pm On Nov 04, 2011
black_beau:

pls guys i really need your input on this, [size=13pt]i know both of them are undesireable traits[/size] but which is worse?
The above-highlighted is were you are wrong! Every human being is inherently greedy and selfish, greediness and selfishness are basic human traits which have enabled our species survive for generations. What differentiates us is the DEGREE of greediness and selfishness each person has. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being greedy and/or selfish so long as these attributes are used to achieve a greater good; when these attributes are used to accomplish evil, that is when they become bad. Therefore, your question, Which is Worse:Greed or Selfishness?!, IMO completely defies logic, and is ill-thought out.
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 04, 2011
domack99:

hmmm. Right on point. I concur!
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by OvieE: 12:22pm On Nov 04, 2011
Both are set of the same fielder
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by Freiburger(m): 12:31pm On Nov 04, 2011
both
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by jaytime(m): 12:45pm On Nov 04, 2011
Greed is so bad! Someone could be selfish and have self control but a greedy man will go out of his way to amass wealth. A selfish might not want your own as long as he doesnt give his own, but a greedy man will want your own and can do any thing to get it. So bad.

Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by HISchild: 1:13pm On Nov 04, 2011
GOD knows all things. i would say greed /covetousness/lust result from selfishness. "Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird. And they lay wait for their own blood; they lurk privily for their own lives. So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the life of the owners thereof." - Pro 1:17-19. "As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand."- Ecc 5:15. "What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet." - Rom 7:7

-----
Selflessness enjoined - "And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." - Mark 12:30-31

"For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." - Rom 13:9
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by Orikinla(m): 1:27pm On Nov 04, 2011
Both are the roots of corruption and wickedness in the world.
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by dinah777: 1:30pm On Nov 04, 2011
Both,None is better than the other
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by manny4life(m): 1:38pm On Nov 04, 2011
Both are the same, grin grin
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by gascoign1(m): 2:18pm On Nov 04, 2011
Greed is d eldest son of heartless and wickedness,while selfishness is the last the first grandson.
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by gascoign1(m): 2:19pm On Nov 04, 2011
Greed is d eldest son of heartless and wickedness,while selfishness is the first grandson.
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by HECTORBOSS(m): 4:40pm On Nov 04, 2011
Greed is the fuel behind selfishness. Without greed there can never be selfishness. When you are selfish your hand is always drawn to yourself and this is a factor that limits a lot of people when attracting the goodness of life into their own life. The power of attracting money is limited by greed.
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by hommer(f): 6:13pm On Nov 04, 2011
A greedy man can kill to get wat he wants but a selfish might not do so
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by Guardian(m): 7:26pm On Nov 04, 2011
This is like asking a Condemned Man, which is a painful way to die between Hanging or Lethal injection ?

Both are Bad, negative traits
Both work hand in hand
In all cases, Greed develops from selfishness but seldom vice versa.

The only distinction I see is mode of operation and existence in humans.

Selfishness is permanent trait. It sometimes can be genetic in transfer, and remains part of the individual through out existence.

Greed occurs at a particular instance. It may be multiple but the individual can fight it off and necessarily doesn't remain in the person.
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by ArQuAbOy(m): 8:09pm On Nov 04, 2011
Selfishgreed is worse
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by Macavelius(m): 10:38pm On Nov 04, 2011
they're like conjoined twins which can lead to huge vice in the society
Re: Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness by kokogee: 9:13am On Nov 05, 2011
there is no way u have one without the other

(1) (2) (Reply)

Strong Resemblance Between Lil Kesh And Marcus Rashford / Who Is Musiwa? / What Is The Idea Of Women Coming To Lagos Beach To Bath?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.