Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,811 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:12 PM

CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal (19954 Views)

CBN Bars Agents From Using Pos Terminals For Transactions / FCTA Bans POS Operators From Residential Areas / CBN Bars BVN Violators From Opening Bank Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by FreeStuffsNG: 8:17pm On Jan 03
CBN bars crypto bank account operators from cash withdrawal

Cash withdrawals will not be possible from accounts opened for virtual and digital assets transactions, the Central of Nigeria has disclosed.

Withdrawals from these accounts will only be possible by transfer or through a manager’s cheque, the apex bank explained. It revealed this in a new ‘Guidelines on Operations of Bank Accounts for Virtual Assets Service Providers.’

According to the bank, an account opened under its new guidelines will only be used for transactions on virtual/digital assets and not for any other purpose.

The guideline read in part, “No cash withdrawal shall be allowed from the account. No third-party cheque shall be cleared from the account. Except for settlement of a virtual/digital assets transaction which shall be done through a transfer to another designated account, the withdrawal shall be only through a managers’ cheque or transfer to an account.”

In a December circular titled, ‘Circular to all banks and other Financial Institutions guidelines on operations of bank accounts for Virtual Assets Service Providers,’ with reference number FPR/DIR/PUB/CIR/002/003, and signed by the Director, Financial Policy and Regulation Department, Haruna Mustafa, the banking regulator announced a policy change on crypto assets and directed banks to begin to aid crypto transactions.

In its new policy direction, the bank stated that it was more open to the idea of regulation rather than its earlier position of the restriction of crypto assets from the formal banking sector.

The guideline, published alongside the circular, is meant to serve as the framework for the reintroduction of crypto into the formal banking sector.

Commenting on the guideline, the CBN said, “The Guidelines shall apply to banks and other financial institutions under the regulatory purview of the CBN.”

Part of the objectives read, “Provide minimum standards and requirements for banking business relationships and account opening for Virtual Assets Service Providers in Nigeria.”

Based on the guidelines, financial institutions are now allowed to undertake the following activities in their operations of accounts for Virtual Assets Service Providers including, opening designated accounts, the provision designated settlement accounts and settlement services, acting as channels for FX flows and trade, and any other activity that may be permitted by the CBN from time to time.

Commenting on how virtual asset providers can open accounts, the apex bank noted, “From the commencement of these Regulations, financial institutions shall not open or permit the operation of any account by any person or entity to conduct the business of virtual/digital assets unless that account is designated for that purpose and opened in line with the requirement of these Guidelines.

“The designated account shall only be opened with the approval of senior management of the FI.”

The new CBN guideline further provides an extensive list of other requirements aimed at protecting the financial system and customers from uncertainty and fraud risks.

Hammering on the need for financial institutions to adhere to its guidelines, the apex bank highlighted that erring banks could get their licence suspended.

The document read in parts, “Notwithstanding the powers of the CBN under the BOFIA 2020 and in addition to the use of remedial measures in these Guidelines, the CBN may take any or all of the following sanctions against a Fl, its board of directors, officers or staff for failure to comply with any of the requirements of these Guidelines:

“Prohibition from opening any further designated account; Monetary penalty not below the sum of 2,000,00O.00 against the FIs, members of its board, senior management, and any staff, for any infraction. Suspension of the operating licence of a Fl.”

When the CBN announced its policy shift on crypto, the Lead Partner and Head of Blockchain and Virtual Assets Practice at Infusion Lawyers, Senator Ihenyen, told The PUNCH, “Thankfully, our regulators will now work together to ensure consumer protection and investor safety.

“Nigeria can no longer afford to keep pushing digital assets underground, for obvious economic and security reasons, especially when you are number on in crypto adoption in Africa and a leading market in the globe.”
https://punchng.com/cbn-bars-crypto-bank-account-operators-from-cash-withdrawal/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by FreeStuffsNG: 8:17pm On Jan 03
“Prohibition from opening any further designated account; Monetary penalty not below the sum of 2,000,00O.00 against the FIs, members of its board, senior management, and any staff, for any infraction. Suspension of the operating licence of a Fl.”

Any bank official that has ears should hear o. This is a policy directly targeted at those who think only of easy money and how to perpetrate money laundering. May the bank officials not let greed and indiscipline ruin their banks for their shareholders.

May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by MrProlific95: 8:19pm On Jan 03
Those who know what money laundering has done to our country will applaud this move, Kudos CBN

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Totilopussylick(m): 8:21pm On Jan 03
tongue

Money laundering and our Nigeria politicians and other private sectors be like 5 and 6 tongue
MrProlific95:
Those who know what money laundering has done to our country will applaud this move, Kudos CBN

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Thundafireseun: 8:23pm On Jan 03
MrProlific95:

Keep quiet please

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by allen113: 8:25pm On Jan 03
P2p still makes more sense to me than this.

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by matify83: 8:38pm On Jan 03
Cardoso is clutching at too many policies these days like a drowning man with Nigerians yet to see the benefits.

He has virtually reversed most of the policies of the erstwhile cbn governor in order to stabilize the naira yet it keeps getting a beating when lined-up against the dollar.

63 Likes 8 Shares

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by iykepromotions: 8:46pm On Jan 03
Way to go. Adequate security supposed to be utilized against money laundering

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Ola9ja23: 8:54pm On Jan 03
If this will help to stabilize Naira then it's a welcome development

3 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by commoditiesnig: 10:57pm On Jan 03
Good move
MrProlific95:
You're right

4 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by PrinceOfLagos: 10:59pm On Jan 03
matify83:
Cardoso is clutching at too many policies these days like a drowning man with Nigerians yet to see the benefits.

He has virtually reversed most of the policies of the erstwhile cbn governor in order to stabilize the naira yet it keeps getting a beating when lined-up against the dollar.
His "Try your luck policies approach" is the reason naira keeps nose-diving .

Man is clueless

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Faiththatworks(m): 11:12pm On Jan 03
This is one of the best policies enacted by Mr Cardoso.
I posted a thread on this topic last year but the mods didn't deem it fit to bring it to the frontpage.
I think someone should explain this policy to my good friend @freestuff,Mr Cardoso has in one policy swoop cancelled the draconian crypto policy of Mr Emi werey.
In simple English,cos I can see the big grammar in the story is confusing some people,Mr Cardoso has allowed banks to authorize some form of Crypto currency transaction.
For those who rush to conclusions about crypto currency been bad,u wouldn't know how bad the draconian policies of Mr Emi werey affected a lot of Nigerians.
I had a very very terrible experience when my money was blocked after a brother did a transfer to a crypto seller and used Bitcoin in the Narration.
I had to painfully forfeit a large % of my funds so I could be paid by the seller, I also know sellers whose account were freezed cos people were putting Crypto as narrative during transfers,that's why a particular exchange warns people not to put crypto in the narrative when selling or buying their crypto.
For the crypto exchanges that give out banks accounts when you open a crypto account on their website,I'm sure they are the ones that the CBN instructed not to allow withdrawals.
I remember some years ago a particular crypto exchange will give you a bank account that starts with W on opening an account,those accounts are just digital account and you can't withdraw cash from them,I'm sure those accounts are what Mr Cardoso instructed shouldn't allow for cash withdrawals.
Seriously Government mustn't ignore crypto transaction in Nigeria,you will be amazed at the huge number of transaction that go on everyday in some crypto exchanges in Nigeria.
I expect Asiwaju to instruct the Minster of Finance,the Minister of Digital Economy,the CBN,The FIRS and some other relevant government agencies come together and formulate a policy to make crypto transaction more transparent,traceable and taxable in Nigeria.
They should also work with the National Assembly to enact laws on crypto transaction or Asiwaju can go ahead and issue Executive orders if the National Assembly is stalling,if Bet companies can pay taxes I wonder why crypto transaction shouldn't attract a % as taxes.
I'm very sure That's another avenue to raise a lot of money for the country
God bless Nigeria....

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Bobloco: 5:49am On Jan 04
matify83:

The patch patch CV CBN governor is a drowning man

The reason he is busy reversing most of the policies of the erstwhile CBN governor is simply because he got no new ideas on how to stabilize the Naira which has been on a free fall since he assumed office

6 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Blackfire(m): 5:51am On Jan 04
Blocking all the avenue the youths created ...

3 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by cenaman(m): 5:53am On Jan 04
I will take CBN serious when the dollar to naira exchange is $1 to #200

16 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by dinkyicon: 5:56am On Jan 04
Blackfire:
Blocking all the avenue the youths created ...
nope. Blocking all avenues for money laundering

11 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by ShangTsung000: 5:59am On Jan 04
IYOO...

Let this measure not be against youths buh political shoplifters.

ONYE ANWULU!!!

3 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by epainos: 5:59am On Jan 04
Hmmmm!

This is not a bad move, but still not the answer. With all Eme-werey "gra gra" huge amounts of money moved in and out of crypto daily....if you know, you know. Lol. In the initial stage, Eme-werey was able to sieze a huge amount of money. Go ask what he did with them... that guy is a real werey.

Any move we make must make the naira strong...and we must endeavour to make sure we continue with the infrastructural development we have started. It should expand to other states. Lagos should be the NY of Africa. We need to work towards preventing it from sinking, remove anything from 10-storey buildings in some areas and put 20 to 50-storey buildings. And many more...

Back to this CBN policy...I believe this is what any reasonable person would do at this time, but it may not solve the problem entirely. It still depends on curbing corruption. This is the KEY. If we don't curb it, it will bury our economy. There is no policy corruption cannot bury no matter how good it is.

In my opinion, the real (I am repeating here cos I have written about it many times) problem we have is tribalism, and corruption is embedded in it. We always cover our tribesmen cos we think other tribes did it and nothing was done. So, if our tribe man does it, he should go unpunished too. Lol. And our electoral decisions are based on who is from our tribe and not the best man for the position. In fact, no good person will want to go into Nigerian politics. For where? Like telling me to go and mix up with those crooks...never.

So, the best option is to split. Nigeria will eventually sink. If BRICS can overlook Nigeria and pick South Africa, something is wrong with Nigeria. We should not keep forcing a marriage that has refused to work. I am sure that the 5 regions (or central region can divide also and go with who they want to make four nations) will do as separate nations.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Kreamie(m): 5:59am On Jan 04
These people be blowing hot and cold at the same time.
Lifting a ban on crypto and not allowing cash withdrawals?

Where’s the cash by the way?

😔

7 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by seunlayi(m): 6:00am On Jan 04
Confusions
Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Hotice085: 6:00am On Jan 04
Still a good one for crypto but the $500k being requested for deposits from any crypto exchanges should be look upon if not only foreign investors will rule our domestic crypto market

3 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by ivolt: 6:02am On Jan 04
Bobloco:

The patch patch CV CBN governor is a drowning man

The reason he is busy reversing most of the policies of the erstwhile CBN governor is simply because he got no new ideas on how to stabilize the Naira which has been on a free fall since he assumed office

matify83:

PrinceOfLagos:

His "Try your luck policies approach" is the reason naira keeps nose-diving .

Man is clueless

See these advisers claiming knowledge.
A high school economics student should know that there is no policy, fix or plan that can save a debtor
other than to pay their debt but these ones think a magical solution exist.

Quick education for you guys.
Naira is falling because the demand for dollar is much higher than supply.
No additional dollar earnings, no fix for the increasing exchange rate.
It is that simple.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by fatboyslym007: 6:02am On Jan 04
Can someone please explain to us what this means.
How does it affect money laundering?
Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Fapemz: 6:03am On Jan 04
grin

Does that mean they can transfer to another account and then withdraw?

People that have bank managers on their dialed list grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Blitzking: 6:10am On Jan 04
With this p2p can never die.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Emeskhalifa(m): 6:21am On Jan 04
All these stress coz I wan use CBN's method to do crypto? Abeg make person stick to p2p jarey

2 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Xwizard: 6:24am On Jan 04
Government want to swap in again this new year. Abi ati mad ni
Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Yampotatocarrot(m): 6:30am On Jan 04
Fapemz:
grin

Does that mean they can transfer to another account and then withdraw?

People that have bank managers on their dialed list grin cheesy

Same question I wanted to ask o... Does it mean they can transfer to another account but can't withdraw cash from their account?

If they can transfer to another account, then how does it stop money laundering?

I wish someone can explain that part well
Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by Houseofglam7(f): 6:42am On Jan 04
🤭
Re: CBN Bars Crypto Bank Account Operators From Cash Withdrawal by sammyj: 7:01am On Jan 04
grin grin grin flip-flop policy. Crypto customers don enter one chance grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is There Any Need To Confirm Cash After ATM Dispensary? / Early Morning, Fire Destroys Goods Worth Millions Of Naira In Ibadan Mkt (pic) / Old Naira Notes: No Extension, January 31 Deadline Stands — CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.