Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,580 members, 7,812,898 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS (11902 Views)

107 Private Universities To Be Investigated By FG's Panel / U.S. To Deport 16,000 Nigerian Students, ASUU Fumes / ASUU Turns Down Invitation By FG For Talks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by Bobloco: 6:25am On Jan 05
The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) in Benin Republic says there 15,000 Nigerians studying in the country.

This is as NANS called for leniency over the ban on validation of degree certificates from the country and Togo.

Recall that an investigative reporter had recently exposed certificate racketeering in schools in the neighbouring countries.

Following the development, the federal government announced a ban on the validation of degree certificates from the countries.

But, the NANS president in Benin Republic, Ugochukwu Favour, said the government should consider legitimately admitted students.

Favour spoke Thursday on Channels TV’s breakfast show Sunrise Daily.

He said the government should step up efforts to probe the matter and punish those involved in the saga.

He said NANS in the Benin Republic had constituted a committee to probe the matter, adding that the report of its findings would be vital in curbing future occurrences.

“For now, I will say that the Federal Government should look into the issue. Now, you can’t, because it is happening in this school, punish everyone because it involved close to 15,000 students in the Benin Republic.

“I have really not validated if it has been happening for a long time. This is just like what just came out on social media and we are still trying to find out how long it has been happening. So, that is why I set up a committee as the president to investigate it,” he said.
https://dailytrust.com/15000-nigerian-students-in-benin-republic-affected-by-fg-ban-nans/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by SmartPolician: 6:45am On Jan 05
The FG cannot punish everyone for the sins of a few people. I think they should ban Nigerians from studying in those countries, going forward.

As for now, the deed is already done. Allow current students to finish their courses or transfer them to Nigerian universities.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by mcmurphy132(m): 6:45am On Jan 05
They don enter one chance be that

6 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by koolib(m): 6:46am On Jan 05
Nigerians would do anything to earn 'foreign' degrees. Imagine 15000 in Benin? Ridiculous!

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by Marvieduke(f): 6:46am On Jan 05
If our system was good what will make them go to countries like Benin and Togo for certificate racketeering, our education system that is always affected by strike.

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by KUNZEH(m): 6:46am On Jan 05
Interesting
Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by Jeezuzpick(m): 6:46am On Jan 05
Bobloco:

https://dailytrust.com/15000-nigerian-students-in-benin-republic-affected-by-fg-ban-nans/

So......?

In this case, I think it should be an issue of whether the FG was right or not, instead of how many people are affected.

What of the effect of thousands of potentially unfit "professionals" dumped on the Nigerian populace?

It's too bad this is where we are as a country, though.

Let there be thorough investigation. Maybe a regularisation system should be put in place for the current graduates and students from those schools, after which an absolute ban should be in place.

11 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by drsteroid(m): 6:46am On Jan 05
I think the Federal government get an independent body to do a thorough investigation to unravel those involved rather than punish innocent ones among them.
This wouldn't have happened without the connivance of Ministry of education staffs, NUC staffs and Nysc staffs. I believed most of those schools in Benin Republic were just money making ventures for the school owners with little or no knowledge gained by those schooling there.

2 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by Inspirer1: 6:47am On Jan 05
Of course yes.

FG through the Ministry of Education should make their own independent findings and excuse the schools not involved in the issuance of such degrees/certificates from the ban.

2 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by huptin(m): 6:47am On Jan 05
The onus is on the government of Benin republic to tackle the issue head on and demonstrate to Nigeria that they value the quality of certificates coming from them.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by jeff1993: 6:47am On Jan 05
This FG is the most insensitive I have seen .... even bros BUBU dey learn work for where him dey!!!

There are good Uni and also bad Uni in those foreign countries mentioned..... Will u throw away the baby with the bath water also??

. Fix our educational system so that our youth will stop running to those mushroom countries to study.

He should also ban those ones in Sudan and Somalia where all those northerners go to study and get mushroom certificate too ooooo

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by Vikiman419(m): 6:48am On Jan 05
This Administration will probe it till 2027 😂😂😂😂😂

2 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by money121(m): 6:48am On Jan 05
Wahala

1 Like

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by Britishcoins(m): 6:48am On Jan 05
Nigeria is not working, what is the difference from buying certificate in Benin Republic and paying bribe to lecturers to pass exams in Nigeria.. Let the charity begins at home.. Our education system is highly corrupted..

7 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by LeeSmart: 6:51am On Jan 05
Wetin nans wan talk now? dem want say make FG pardon dem?... Na so my friend wey the school for benin call me yesterday dey para for me like say na me be FG wey initiate the ban lol.

3 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by Chibuzoripob: 6:52am On Jan 05
cool dey beta come back home and face the rigorous Nija campus life rather than the 2 months degree cert dey parade up/down sad

4 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by dfrost: 6:52am On Jan 05
Come back to Nigeria 🇳🇬 and school until we fix this.

4 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by Sucre7: 6:53am On Jan 05
The FG do do more findings themselves. There are Legit Schools that offer legit and hard earned degrees in Benin Republic. You can punish thousands of students and hundreds of schools based on a few bad eggs. It's wrong

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by dfrost: 6:54am On Jan 05
Sucre7:
The FG do do more findings themselves. There are Legit Schools that offer legit and hard earned degrees in Benin Republic. You can punish thousands of students and hundreds of schools based on a few bad eggs. It's wrong

Someone needs to come with hard evidence to proof the innocence of those not caught in the act.

Even Nigerian schools are doing same.

2 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by ehikwe22: 6:55am On Jan 05
Why dem no ban the Lagos universities selling degrees for 3 million?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by mignone(f): 6:58am On Jan 05
Serves them all right!

I know these schools, well.
There's even this Pan-African University institute or so, I don't know if it's also listed. Students don't fail there, even if absent.
Just pay& get a full degree with well arranged transcript and all.

Most students who go to those places advertised to each other, how easy it is to gain admission, less rigorous it is to get degrees there, whether or not u want to attend classes.
I mean actually doing nothing scholarly- they keep going to/fro Benin/Togo/Nigeria doing businesses. Majority of them can't even pass for an OND holder after everything, go see them, especially d girls.

What about d so-called universities?They don't have facilities. Most can't stand d size of nigerian public secondary school compounds.

9 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by NinjaMetahuman: 6:58am On Jan 05
koolib:
Nigerians would do anything to earn 'foreign' degrees. Imagine 15000 in Benin? Ridiculous!
or just another fake or over inflated figure.

The Nigerian style of pulling figures from thin air or their ass.

What's the total population of Nigerians living in benin Republic that there will be 15000 students?

3 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by Ayomide002: 7:03am On Jan 05
There are good quality schools in Cotonue. If countries ban Nigeria because of the many Nigerian saga online (Nigeria is supposed to be out of the world education system already then). I’m sure many of you shouting ‘serve them right’ will be sad.

Don’t punish all because of a few bad examples.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by PepeXKermit: 7:04am On Jan 05
SmartPolician:
The FG cannot punish everyone for the sins of a few people. I think they should ban Nigerians from studying in those countries, going forward.

As for now, the deed is already done. Allow current students to finish their courses or transfer them to Nigerian universities.

How do you ban people studying in a country of their choice? Does it make sense to you?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by Powersurge: 7:05am On Jan 05
SmartPolician:

There is degree racketeering in Nigeria. But Benin and co are the height of fraud. There no degree you cannot get. From Masters to Ph.D. These guys work in some of loftiest places from oil company to a govt agencies.

3 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by popcykaylah(m): 7:08am On Jan 05
Is your current president certificate not a fraudulent one .. good radiance to bad rubbish.. they haven't cleaned the mess in aso rock they are dragging civilians
Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by SmartPolician: 7:13am On Jan 05
PepeXKermit:

How do you ban people studying in a country of their choice? Does it make sense to you?

Banning Nigerian organisations from recognising such degrees. That's what this is about.

3 Likes

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by Iamzik: 7:14am On Jan 05
Jeezuzpick:

So......?

In this case, I think it should be an issue of whether the FG was right or not, instead of how many people are affected.

What of the effect of thousands of potentially unfit "professionals" dumped on the Nigerian populace?

It's too bad this is where we are as a country, though.

Let there be thorough investigation. Maybe a regularisation system should be put in place for the current graduates and students from those schools, after which an absolute ban should be in place.

Are you aware that Nigeria education system has a bad reputation in the west and in Africa?

WES verification for Nigeria degree is more stringent but they will verify it eventually.

Do you think that other countries should place a blanket ban on all Nigerian universities?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15,000 Nigerian Students In Benin Republic Affected By FG Ban – NANS by Menclothing: 7:15am On Jan 05
The government should select like 5 university Nigeria can attend in that country

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OAU Reopens School After Shutdown August 24 / . / How Good At Math Are You ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.