Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,996 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! (1256 Views)

Suspend Bbnaija This Year For Serious National Concern / Five Highest-grossing Nigerian Films So Far / List Of The Highest Grossing Movies Of 2018 And How Much They Made (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by LegendHero(m): 3:51pm On Jan 05
NIGERIAN BEST GROSS MOVIE PER YEAR IN THE LAST DECADE

2023 — A Tribe Called Judah: ₦1.06b - Funke Akindele

2022 — Battle on Buka Street: ₦668.42m - Funke Akindele

2021 — Christmas in Miami: ₦265.58m - Ayo Makun

2020 — Omo Ghetto: The Saga: ₦636.13m - Funke Akindele

2019 — Sugar Rush: ₦287.05m - Abimbola Craig

2018 — Chief Daddy: ₦387.54m - Mo Abudu

2017 — The Wedding Party 2: ₦433.20m - Tope Oshin etc

2016 — The Wedding Party: ₦452.29m

2015 — Fifty: ₦80.03m - Tope Oshin

2014 — 30 Days in Atlanta: ₦163.35m - Ayo Makun

2013 — Half of a Yellow Sun: ₦60.00m - Andrea Calderwood.

Kudos to all our Movie Makers for doing us proud and blessings upon the soul of Ogunde for blazing the trail, pleasant to see his descendants leading the pack.

Source: https:///legendaryjoe/status/1743225982264250632?s=46&t=oGAxjhiGeufNKlYA6fDTyA

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by LegendHero(m): 3:52pm On Jan 05
TOP NOLLYWOOD MOVIE DIRECTORS BY DOMESTIC GROSS VALUE

StatiSense: https:///statisense/status/1743255722148745230?s=46&t=oGAxjhiGeufNKlYA6fDTyA

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by Beremx(f): 3:57pm On Jan 05
Nigeria movie industry has evolved very much. I'm happy they're competing with the rest of the world in movies.

I can't remember the last time I watched a Nollywood movie though.

Askari LegendHero, you want to tell me no other ethnic group made the list ehn? grin

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by LegendHero(m): 4:00pm On Jan 05
🇳🇬NOLLYWOOD MOVIES' DOMESTIC GROSS AMOUNT IN U$D

1 Omo Ghetto (2020): The Saga: $1.68m

2 Battle on Buka Street (2022): $1.49m

3 The Wedding Party (2016): $1.49m

4 The Wedding Party 2 (2017): $1.41m

5 Chief Daddy (2018): $1.26m

6 A Tribe Called Judah (2023): $1.18m

7 30 Days in Atlanta (2014): $975K

8 Sugar Rush (2019): $937K

9 King of Boys (2018): $799K

10 Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons (2018): $769K

11 Merry Men 2: Another Mission (2019): $765K

12 Brotherhood (2022): $733K

13 King of Thieves (2022): $715K

14 Christmas in Miami (2021): $643K

15 Ijakumo (2022): $621K

(FX at Official rate)

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by LegendHero(m): 4:04pm On Jan 05
Beremx:
Nigeria movie industry has evolved very much. I'm happy they're competing with the rest of the world in movies.
They have evolved spectacularly well and some of them are now very confident putting movies on Netflix and being sure it’ll trend as top 10.

I can't remember the last time I watched a Nollywood though.
I watch Nollywood movie well. I’ve watched most of the film on Netflix and Amazon Prime that’s Nollywood. You should watch them often too.

Although on prime, they still have some mediocre Nollywood movies.

Askari LegendHero, you want to tell me no other ethnic group made the list ehn? grin
It’s only Yoruba people cornering the whole movie industry profit. It seems they’ve hacked it somehow.

I think anything that can be done through digital/tech means, Yoruba will naturally just boom ahead. Ever since the movie industry has gone digital and distributed online, things soared.

While you’re talking about them being Yoruba, me I am seeing that most of them are women. Not sure the correlation between Yoruba women and the success at Nollywood level.

4 Likes

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by Vinnie2000(m): 4:06pm On Jan 05
All diz Overrated Cinema movies. sad sad

If you check, 80% of Nigerians hardly get to see them and even know the Actors/Actress. undecided

Give me Zubby Michael and Destiny E'thick'o movies, Jare! smiley

Or Better still, Johnny Sins and Rachel Starr Blockbusters! cool wink smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by LegendHero(m): 4:07pm On Jan 05
Vinnie2000:

All diz Overrated Cinema movies. sad sad

If you check, 80% of Nigerians hardly get to see them and even know the Actors/Actress. undecided

Give me Zubby Michael and Destiny E'thick'o movies, Jare! smiley

Or Better still, Johnny Sins and Rachel Starr Blockbusters! cool wink smiley

You are still living in year 2002.

4 Likes

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by Beremx(f): 4:18pm On Jan 05
LegendHero:

They have evolved spectacularly well and some of them are now very confident putting movies on Netflix and being sure it’ll trend as top 10.

I watch Nollywood movie well. I’ve watched most of the film on Netflix and Amazon Prime that’s Nollywood. You should watch them often too.

Although on prime, they still have some mediocre Nollywood movies.

It’s only Yoruba people cornering the whole movie industry profit. It seems they’ve hacked it somehow.

I think anything that can be done through digital/tech means, Yoruba will naturally just boom ahead. Ever since the movie industry has gone digital and distributed online, things soared.

While you’re talking about them being Yoruba, me I am seeing that most of them are women. Not sure the correlation between Yoruba women and the success at Nollywood level.
Yes the women are really trying. The likes of Funke Akindele and Toyin Abraham really surprised me. From screen divas to producers, joining the likes of legendary Kemi Adetiba. They deserve the accolades
Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by Depriest2020: 4:19pm On Jan 05
Yorubas have taken over Nollywood. They invest enough fund in their project to make classic movies. The Igbos have fallen down the peck in Nollywood movies, I wish they would take a retrospect and stop the nonsense and non entertaining cheap movies they now produce in Asaba.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by Bulldozer90: 4:19pm On Jan 05
Depriest2020:
Yorubas have taken over Nollywood. They invest enough fund in their project. The Igbos have fallen down in Nollywood movies, I wish they would take a retrospect and stop the nonsense and non entertaining cheap movies they now produce in Asaba.
lol... You are grossly misinformed. Infact, Igbos dominate nollywood now more than they did before but the problem is that value of storytelling which is the cornerstone of nollywood has declined.

Let me educate you, the amount a movie grossed over some months is not the same as the amount of profit it generated.

If a movie grossed 100million in six months, it means that about 35 million will go to the cinema company showing it, 30 million
subtracted as the production cost, while about 5 million will go SM influencers and bloggers promoting the movie. If the producer still wants the movie to be shown on special holidays like Christmas,Easter, New year etc he will still pay more to the cinema company. Lol

In the end, he might be making less than 20% profit. That's not profitable; it's pyrrhic victory.
As you are waiting for months for that to happen, someone in Asaba has done a movie with 8 million, uploaded it on YouTube and sold to African magic and even on DVD. In two months he has recovered his cost 100% and repeats the process three times in 6 months!

Why do you think the likes of kunke afolayan is broke and always sad cheesy despite having a number of cinema movies to his credit.

Cinema movies are craps with finesse. Most people who watch nollywood movies on cinema are NOT ATTRACTED to the cinema by the movie itself rather, they go to hang out. If you put the most useless movie there, it will still "gross" high, except that it is not profitable to do so in Nigeria.
Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by Bulldozer90: 4:22pm On Jan 05
I see
Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by Armaggedon: 4:23pm On Jan 05
Misrepresentation
Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by AustineE1: 4:29pm On Jan 05
Can't you see that the only reason the op created this thread is to massage their ego. If he mentions any movie he goes ahead to write the name of the director,why not go ahead and also give us the name of the actors and actresses involved in each.....inferiority complex explained.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by DenreleDave(m): 4:32pm On Jan 05
Just watching a tribe called Judah

If you must make money in Nigeria in movies, do a quality story, notable faces and pick the cast from different tribes..

Most especially, let it be centered around family especially the mother..

Funke Akindele knows this and she is excelling..

I rate the movie 5 over 5

Also there is this igbo guy I recently got to like... Uzor Arukwe... He acted rich igbo man in Toyin Aimaku Prophetess and I fell in love with that guy acting.

Seeing him again in Judah acting igbo man grin grin grin made me rate this movie 5 over 5

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by LegendHero(m): 4:38pm On Jan 05
Beremx:
Yes the women are really trying. The likes of Funke Akindele and Toyin Abraham really surprised me. From screen divas to producers, joining the likes of legendary Kemi Adetiba. They deserve the accolades

But 1billion naira is still somehow small for a large market like Nigerians in Nigeria and especially those in diaspora.

They need to spread their tentacles well and aim high.

Our musician aimed high which explained why Afro beats artist can now compete well with their counterparts in any country.

But women are actually trying to be honest.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by Vinnie2000(m): 4:40pm On Jan 05
LegendHero:

You are still living in year 2002.

Don't have anything against this Newbie Movies! smiley

They Just look too Classists and out of Touch with realities in Nigeria, currently. undecided

The Films of old like Igodo, Oracle, Blood Money, Narrow Escape, Silent Nights, etc told stories an African or a common Man could relate to. smiley

But Most of these Cinema movies seems to be more about POSH and GLAMOUR
And Acting or telling a story! sad sad
Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by LegendHero(m): 4:41pm On Jan 05
AustineE1:
Can't you see that the only reason the op created this thread is to massage their ego. If he mentions any movie he goes ahead to write the name of the director,why not go ahead and also give us the name of the actors and actresses involved in each.....inferiority complex explained.

When they are counting Dangote gross profits, who do they mention? Is it not Dangote?

In a capitalist society, no one cares about the everyday workers and the buck stop at the leadership table and that’s why Dangote is who takes all the credit for his company success and yet he might not even do any major work rather than signing papers.

So you mention these guys because they are the one making profit mostly off those movies.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by kettykin: 4:41pm On Jan 05
This is cinema , what if non cinema and the informal movie industry and Netflix etc

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by Nigercity: 4:44pm On Jan 05
grin grin grin
Hypes and hypes😂🤣🤣no real substance,
And yet the actors of this so called movies are not popular
Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by RockHard: 4:51pm On Jan 05
LegendHero:

But 1billion naira is still somehow small for a large market like Nigerians in Nigeria and especially those in diaspora.

They need to spread their tentacles well and aim high.

Our musician aimed high which explained why Afro beats artist can now compete well with their counterparts in any country.

But women are actually trying to be honest.

I think the numbers would probably look better if the Northern part of Nigeria shared similar cinema culture as the southern part of the country. But I don't expect that to change due to cultural and religious differences.
Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by Goodvibes007: 5:00pm On Jan 05
AustineE1:
You are pained just like the Obidients below:

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by LegendHero(m): 5:05pm On Jan 05
kettykin:
This is cinema , what if non cinema and the informal movie industry and Netflix etc

Non cinema will be diverse coz you will be talking about YouTube streams, and those still selling CDs if any. That is not taken into consideration. I think it’ll be good to have the statistics of those too and standardize the market.

For Netflix movies, I think that info should be public knowledge somewhere and I believe Kunle Afolayan and etc should be part of those topping the list.

But I’m seeing some movies there that are on Netflix like king of boys. It seems they first premiered at cinemas then they take them to Netflix.
Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by LegendHero(m): 5:07pm On Jan 05
RockHard:

I think the numbers would probably look better if the Northern part of Nigeria shared similar cinema culture as the southern part of the country. But I don't expect that to change due to cultural and religious differences.

They should have cinemas in the North too nao. I don’t think their culture is against having cinemas.

You might probably argue that cinemas are not making enough sales in the North and that could be due to many factors.
Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by haffaze777(m): 5:29pm On Jan 05
Leave movie industry for Owambe people.Any useless tribe wey Argue go hear wehn from me

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by ElSudani: 5:57pm On Jan 05
Bulldozer90:
lol... You are grossly misinformed. Infact, Igbos dominate nollywood now more than they did before but the problem is that value of storytelling which is the cornerstone of nollywood has declined.

Let me educate you, the amount a movie grossed over some months is not the same as the amount of profit it generated.

If a movie grossed 100million in six months, it means that about 35 million will go to the cinema company showing it, 30 million
subtracted as the production cost, while about 5 million will go SM influencers and bloggers promoting the movie. If the producer still wants the movie to be shown on special holidays like Christmas,Easter, New year etc he will still pay more to the cinema company. Lol

In the end, he might be making less than 20% profit. That's not profitable; it's pyrrhic victory.
As you are waiting for months for that to happen, someone in Asaba has done a movie with 8 million, uploaded it on YouTube and sold to African magic and even on DVD. In two months he has recovered his cost 100% and repeats the process three times in 6 months!

Why do you think the likes of kunke afolayan is broke and always sad cheesy despite having a number of cinema movies to his credit.

Cinema movies are craps with finesse. Most people who watch nollywood movies on cinema are NOT ATTRACTED to the cinema by the movie itself rather, they go to hang out. If you put the most useless movie there, it will still "gross" high, except that it is not profitable to do so in Nigeria.

How would you even know the numbers? You are just being speculative, a high grossing movie might as well be profitable.
So, Funke Akindele and Kunle Afolayan are always sad because they are broke! Lmao grin, this is new.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by RockHard: 7:10pm On Jan 05
LegendHero:

They should have cinemas in the North too nao. I don’t think their culture is against having cinemas.

You might probably argue that cinemas are not making enough sales in the North and that could be due to many factors.

Below I've attached the show times and cinemas exhibiting Toyin's latest flick, Malaika. Going through the list of the cinemas, you'd notice that apart from Ilorin (and Abuja; though no Abuja venue appeared on the list), other Northern venues are conspicuously missing. I assume the same holds true for Funke's movie as well.

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by DabuIIIT: 7:35pm On Jan 05
haffaze777:
Leave movie industry for Owambe people.Any useless tribe wey Argue go hear wehn from me
And later,you will start crying and lamenting like a kid when the mods do their jobs grin grin

This is '24,act your old age o. E pele,sir
Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by CandidAdmin(m): 7:40pm On Jan 05
Nollywood is growing... but unfortunately, it has gotten anywhere yet in the cinemas.

Imagine our highest grossing movie only sold 460,000 tickets! And we are above 200 million in this country!

This goes to show you that our standard of living, mentality, marketing, no of cinemas and so on is limiting the industry.

At least, we should have about 5 million people strugling to watch this movie.

Assuming ticket is 3k
3000 * 5,000,000=15,000,000,000.

Then, we can say Nollywood is getting there.

But how can 5 million people watch movies with only 81 cinemas? US has 5k+

As for those on Netflix, you'll notice majority of the ones that hit top 10 global are Netflix original movies.

Also, less movies should be released one youtube and more on streaming apps owned by Nigerians!

Last but not the list, we need new story lines.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by LegendHero(m): 7:56pm On Jan 05
RockHard:

Below I've attached the show times and cinemas exhibiting Toyin's latest flick, Malaika. Going through the list of the cinemas, you'd notice that apart from Ilorin (and Abuja; though no Abuja venue appeared on the list), other Northern venues are conspicuously missing. I assume the same holds true for Funke's movie as well.

Omo I did not know this before.

This dosen't make sense. why are they not watching cinema movies? Or could it be that Southern movies producers are not purposely taking it there?

It sound awkward that in 2023, some people will still not be watching cinema because of culture/religion.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by DenreleDave(m): 8:58pm On Jan 05
LegendHero:

Omo I did not know this before.

This dosen't make sense. why are they not watching cinema movies? Or could it be that Southern movies producers are not purposely taking it there?

It sound awkward that in 2023, some people will still not be watching cinema because of culture/religion.

Egbon mi. Long time

Ṣe é ní Send ìkan ọdún fún mi.. ☺
Re: List Of Nigeria's Top-grossing Movie Each Year For The Past 10 Years! by madridguy(m): 10:30pm On Jan 05
A Movie like Igodo will win many international awards if produced today.

Vinnie2000:

Don't have anything against this Newbie Movies! smiley

They Just look too Classists and out of Touch with realities in Nigeria, currently. undecided
[b]
The Films of old like Igodo, [/b]Oracle, Blood Money, Narrow Escape, Silent Nights, etc told stories an African or a common Man could relate to. smiley

But Most of these Cinema movies seems to be more about POSH and GLAMOUR
And Acting or telling a story! sad sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Our Home Movies Soundtrack Rubbish Or Is It Just Me? / Banky W And Wizkid Features In Kenyan Drama Series "shuga" / MOVIE: The Flash Season 3 ( Trailer)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.