Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,932 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen (8760 Views)

Sebastian Broderick Is Dead / Amuneke, Akpoborie, Ekong, Others To Be Honoured At Ajegunle Football And Sports / Genort Rohr Turns To Sebastian Osigwe, Swiss-born Goalkeeper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by naptu2: 3:39am On Jan 06
Jonathan Akpoborie @akpoborie

The Golden eaglets we’re playing a friendly match against my team, FHA at the St Gregories ground that morning, and my own best friend was the one to stop me from scoring a goal for the Golden eaglets. This was three weeks before the team departed for China.

Sabara called me and cautioned me to stay calm and play very simple football. I acknowledged and the game started.

Ten minutes into the game and I was already on the floor, in front of the opponents goal line, with a knee injury that was inflicted by my best friend, three weeks before our first game in against Italy in Dalian China.

After this injury, the coaches had a long discussion that evening with the doctor that was assigned to the team. From all indications, it was very positive, so I was not even allowed to touch the ball during training the next day. In fact I could not walk properly.

Some few days later, Sabara then had a meeting with his coaches and forcefully decided he was going to take me to the World Cup. In fact, I could not believe it myself.

When we got to china, the progress of the injury was clear for everybody to see, and with the help of the Chinese medical support, I started jogging. From the quarter final I started playing against all odds.

In the eleventh minute of the final against Germany, the moment arrived when I paid back that trust given to me by the coach that shaped up my confidence in world football.

When I hugged him after the game in jubilations, his words I will carry with me all through my career. Sebastian Imasuen Brodericks, may your soul rest in perfect peace ✌️

https://twitter.com/akpoborie/status/1743239900311298333

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by naptu2: 3:39am On Jan 06
FINAL HIGHLIGHTS: FIFA U-16 World Cup China 1985
(FIFA has blocked it from showing on Nairaland. Click "Watch on YouTube" ).

Nigeria 2-0 Germany (goals by Jonathan Akpoborie & Victor Igbinoba)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=howlEzAL1io?si=rFEFeRIB9nfdSnm8

Kenya 1-1 Nigeria (Jonathan Akpoborie) on the Kasarani cow field (January 12th, 1997)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHTaLIS8JRc?si=e_liUNSUP73rBACx

Nigeria 3-0 Kenya (goals by Sunday Oliseh, Emmanuel Amunike & Wilson Oruma. Assist by Jonathan Akpoborie). June 7th, 1997.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rEa990aG4?si=yG4adFk2VIXBl8E_
Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by naptu2: 3:39am On Jan 06
1997-1998 Cup Winners' Cup: VfB Stuttgart Goals (Road to the Final)

Akpoborie and Bobic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjq4BSfHAVM?si=i4jAzUuN2obRTNUq

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by IVORY2009(m): 3:46am On Jan 06
May his soul rest in peace, Nigeria as a country does not know how to care for their own, this man must have been down years ago, but no adequate care for him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by naptu2: 3:55am On Jan 06
naptu2:

1985 was unbelievable! You will not believe the crowd at the airport!

Remember that there were no commercial motorcycles in Lagos at that time, yet almost a hundred motorcycles rode in front of the team bus. Nduka Ugbade sat in the front seat with the trophy.

If I remember correctly, there were two receptions for the players; one at the National Stadium and the other at State House Marina.

Some other African countries declared public holidays. It was just unbelievable. What makes it special for me was that I actually saw the team train live, before they left for China.

1987 was also special for me. The matches were played in the middle of the night, but we all stayed awake. The President stepped out of Dodan Barracks and shook people that were celebrating on the streets after we beat Italy. There was a private joke for me. My dad was on the Presidential delegation that went to Canada after we qualified for the final. I never stopped teasing him that he jinxed the team, which was why we lost the final.

But I've been wrong once before (only once). In 1989 I was convinced that the under 20 would win the world cup. We came second.

naptu2:
We've finally broken the jinx (and created the second exception). Usually whenever we win the cup we end up coming second in the next edition of the tournament.

I remember that I stayed up to watch the final against Germany in 1985. I also saw the victory parade. I followed them through Obalende Road, Keffi Street and Awolowo Road. Lots of motorcycles appeared from nowhere (remember that there were no motorcycle taxis/okada at that time). The players were in a huge green and white bus. Ugbade was holding the trophy on the front seat of the bus. There were lots of policemen around them (someone joked that they didn't want anybody to steal the trophy).

We got to the final of Canada '87 and Babangida sent a presidential delegation to cheer the team. It was led by Admiral Aikhomu and Old Man was on the delegation. We lost to Russia. We teased Old Man endlessly at home. We said that he brought bad luck to the team (a journalist would make a similar point in the late 1980s. He said that these federal government delegations put too much pressure on the team and that's why we often lost whenever we sent a federal government delegation to cheer the team).

We won the tournament again in 1993. Those games in 1993 were very sweet. NTA could not hook up with their commentators for the first game, so they had to hook up with Ghanaian tv. The Ghanaian commentator was very funny. He couldn't believe that Nigerians were singing, "All we are saying, give us more goals" when the Golden Eaglets were leading Canada 7-0. The ships at Lagos Harbour put on their usual New Year's Day fireworks display when the referee blew the final whistle in the final match.

1995 was the first exception. Our team was filled with younger brothers of Super Eagles players and we ended up getting knocked out in the quarter finals.

I heard a stunning announcement on the radio c2006. Uncle Tella was made the coach of the Golden Eaglets. I remember that Deji Omotoyinbo didn't think that it was a good idea. Coach Tella had been teaching at the National Institute of Sports for a while, so Deji thought that he was a classroom coach. I knew better. I first knew Coach Tella around 1980/1981 when he prepared fantastic secondary school football teams that won multiple Principals Cup competitions, so I knew what he could do. He was also a friend of Old Man and it was always a treat for me whenever he came to the house ( Coach Tella was like Santa Klaus - a jolly old man). So I wasn't surprised when he won the World Cup.

We hosted the tournament in 2009 and got to the final, but as usual we lost to Switzerland.

I was out of Lagos during much of UAE 2013, but I was still able to watch most of the games. I remember asking myself (after the final match) if we would get to the final of the next competition and lose again.

Now here we are. Unfortunately I slept through the match. One minute I was waiting for the match to begin and the next I was watching Victor Osimhen pick up his golden boot award.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by naptu2: 4:17am On Jan 06
Mexico 2-1 Nigeria (Jonathan Akpoborie). 1995 US Gold Cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQOV1teQRP4?si=umnvUij6HYrVvdDN
Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by DavSagacity(m): 4:29am On Jan 06
The life of the one we love never ends. The ones we love lives on in our hearts and in the hearts of the people they've touched
RIP to the coach

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by naptu2: 4:31am On Jan 06
Reception at State House, Marina.

Major General Muhammadu Buhari (head of state), Major General Tunde Idiagbon (chief of staff, supreme headquarters), Air Commodore Samson Emeka Omeruah (sports minister), Group Captain Anthony Ikazoboh (NFA chairman).

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by AbuTwins: 6:20am On Jan 06
We live to die!

Although we are present on our birth day, we know nothing about it!
Our birth day was related to us or formed for/by you!

The death day too is similar!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by wizelink(m): 6:21am On Jan 06
Great
Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by Mikelarteta(m): 6:28am On Jan 06
Indomie generation would not know him. He still isn’t fulfil his full potential

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by Blackestjunior(m): 6:38am On Jan 06
Ty
Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by omenka1: 6:42am On Jan 06
Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by inkon: 6:44am On Jan 06

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by MichaelSokoto(m): 6:48am On Jan 06
dem neva Still settle dis guy 4 dat him slave ship allegation wahala oo!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by Gandrova: 6:57am On Jan 06
That means you were born in 2000 plus for you to have made such comments
Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by XAUBulls: 7:00am On Jan 06
naptu2:
Reception at State House, Marina.

Major General Muhammadu Buhari (head of state), Major General Tunde Idiagbon (chief of staff, supreme headquarters), Air Commodore Samson Emeka Omeruah (sports minister), Group Captain Anthony Ikazoboh (NFA chairman).
Indeed, all of those men and teenage soccer stars are frozen in time and space as of 1985. Air Commodore Samson Emeka Omeruah (standing next to General Muhammad Buhari) is the comedienne Chigul's biological father. The handsome teenage soccer star, Fatai Atere is also standing next to Air Commodore Omeruah. A major street (Fatai Atere Way) was named after Fatai Atere in Lagos State, just like the other World Cup winning soccer youngsters had streets named after them in their states of origin.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by Marvieduke(f): 7:02am On Jan 06
Good old days of football.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by Vinnie2000(m): 7:03am On Jan 06
@Michael Sokoto, Brigadier General Dominic Oneya (an Urhobo man from Delta State)
was NFA Chairman around 2000/2001. smiley
Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by Meteng: 7:14am On Jan 06
DavSagacity:
The life of the one we love never ends. The ones we love lives on in our hearts and in the hearts of the people they've touched
RIP to the coach
True
Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by Vifx: 7:14am On Jan 06
Sad
Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by zombieHUNTER: 8:05am On Jan 06
Top scorers on the list Euro cup

Chelsea had three

viali

zola

Di matteo

No be today the blues start balling
Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by tommy589(m): 8:09am On Jan 06
Thank you
Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by gare(f): 8:49am On Jan 06
IVORY2009:
May his soul rest in peace, Nigeria as a country does not know how to care for their own, this man must have been down years ago, but no adequate care for him.

Really don't understand when you make comments like this, he made money during his life time, why should the government come and take care of him, who is taking care of you now, are you not a Nigerian, please learn to save to take care of yourself and leave government alone

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by Starboytwo(m): 8:59am On Jan 06
God abeg

See that pass from the halfway line. Abeg who threw that assist??
Re: Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen by femi4: 2:00pm On Jan 06
RIP 4-4-2

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dalung Redeploys Senior Sports Ministry Officials / Rivers United Qualify For CAF Confederation Cup Group Stage / Soklin & Paris Saint-Germain Unveil West Africa Regional Partnership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.