Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,142 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Obi, Myself Used Labour Party As ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ - Okupe Dumps LP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obi, Myself Used Labour Party As ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ - Okupe Dumps LP (440 Views)

Alpha Beta Is Special Purpose Vehicle Tinubu Setup To Milk Lagos For Infinity / Pauline Tallen Appoints Daughter, Violet Osunde, As Special Assistant / Governor Obiano Appoints Zubby Michael As Special Adviser On Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Obi, Myself Used Labour Party As ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ - Okupe Dumps LP by NLCreator: 4:32pm On Jan 08
The former director-general of the Obi-Datti campaign, Doyin Okupe, has dumped the Labour Party, saying he and the party’s presidential candidate, Peter Obi, only used it as a “special purpose vehicle” to contest the 2023 general election.

Mr Okupe, who was at the forefront of Mr Obi’s presidential campaign, disclosed this in his resignation letter addressed to the LP on Monday.

“I submit herewith my letter of resignation from the Labour Party with effect from today,” Mr Okupe said. “You will recall that our flagbearer, Mr Peter Obi, myself and others left the PDP abruptly and had to look for a special purpose vehicle in which to contest the 2023 Presidential Elections.”

Mr Okupe said he was dumping the party based on ideological differences, describing himself as a rightist and a liberal democrat and the party as leftist.

“We did contest the election on the platform of the Labour Party and lost. This makes it exceedingly difficult for me to continue to stay in the Labour Party, which is ideologically rooted in the left of the centre.

“I have been a rightist and a liberal democrat all my entire life. It is, therefore, this ideological conflict that makes me seek an exit so that I may continue my political activities with liberalism, sincerity and freedom,” Mr Okupe said.

However, he appreciated the party and its leadership, stating, “I wish to thank you in particular, and other members of the leadership of the party for the cordiality and respect accorded to me as the director-general of the Obi-Datti Presidential Campaign Organisation.”

His resignation comes as lingering internal leadership tussle rocking the LP has split the party into two factions, almost a year after it lost the 2023 presidential race to Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress.

In 2022, Mr Okupe, 70, announced his withdrawal from Mr Obi’s campaign following his conviction for money laundering.

His conviction by the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court followed his prosecution by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for money laundering to the tune of N700 million.

https://gazettengr.com/obi-myself-others-used-labour-party-as-special-purpose-vehicle-now-i-quit-okupe/
Re: Obi, Myself Used Labour Party As ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ - Okupe Dumps LP by alna: 4:33pm On Jan 08
People
Re: Obi, Myself Used Labour Party As ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ - Okupe Dumps LP by PrinceofSarcasm: 4:42pm On Jan 08
Who asked?
Re: Obi, Myself Used Labour Party As ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ - Okupe Dumps LP by SyrusdeHansome(m): 4:49pm On Jan 08
All Nigerian politicians are the same that`s why the country is where it is at the moment.
Re: Obi, Myself Used Labour Party As ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ - Okupe Dumps LP by Annnabel001(f): 4:50pm On Jan 08
Alright
Re: Obi, Myself Used Labour Party As ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ - Okupe Dumps LP by Zxcvbnmghtr: 4:51pm On Jan 08
Who can blame Lamidi Apapa for cursing some people for trying to reap from where they did not sow. grin Naso APGA curse still dey follow dat thing up and down. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obi, Myself Used Labour Party As ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ - Okupe Dumps LP by yyba: 4:51pm On Jan 08
Peter obi is a well known criminal minded man

2 Likes

Re: Obi, Myself Used Labour Party As ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ - Okupe Dumps LP by oz4real83(m): 5:22pm On Jan 08
And some people will put trust in people like this embarassed
Re: Obi, Myself Used Labour Party As ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ - Okupe Dumps LP by Vischy: 5:25pm On Jan 08
yyba:
Peter obi is a well known criminal minded man

Yabaleft patient 😁😁
Re: Obi, Myself Used Labour Party As ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ - Okupe Dumps LP by Mynd44: 5:50pm On Jan 08

(1)

Tiwa Savage Lands In Atlanta For Tunde Ednut’s Birthday: Video / President Bola Tinubu Arrives In NDA Kaduna / Tinubu Inherited Poor Economy From Buhari – Arewa Group 11th February 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.