Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,322 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. (23447 Views)

Monday Ubani: I Asked God To Disgrace Magu Out Of Office For Detaining Me / Police Redeploy Zamfara DPO For ‘working With Bandits / Police Remove Ademola Adeleke’s Name From Exam Malpractices Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by naptu2: 2:44pm On Jan 10
A lawyer was detained when he went to the police station to seek bail for his client. The Nigerian Bar Association plan to stage a protest tomorrow because of this matter. The Lagos State commissioner of police has ordered the removal of the DPO of that station and he is holding meetings with representatives of the NBA in order to resolve the matter.

Lawyer detained for seeking client’s bail hospitalised, seeks justice

4th January 2024
By Babatunde Titilola

A Lagos-based lawyer, Olumide Sonupe, has been hospitalised after he was said to have been detained by the police while seeking the bail of his client at the Moshalashi Police Station in the Alimosho area of the state on December 30, 2023.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the 36-year-old Olumide was taken to the hospital when his health deteriorated upon his release from the police station on January 1, 2024 after spending two nights with his client in the police cell.

It was learnt that the incident happened when Olumide went to the station on December 30 to seek the bail of his client, a carpenter, who had been detained for the alleged breach of contract.

PUNCH Metro gathered that a customer had paid Olumide’s client to make some chairs. After making the chairs, the customer allegedly refused to take the chairs because the chairs were not the same as the designs he had sent. The customer was said to have reported the matter to the police and the carpenter’s presence was requested.

He said, “They said they were going to detain my client. I met with the Investigating Police Officer, Supol Grace, and told her that the matter was purely a civil matter and nothing criminal. I asked that we should try to settle it amicably. I spoke with the carpenter, and he said he would get N50,000 by the end of January and the remaining balance of about N162,000 as soon as he sold the chairs. Everyone involved agreed. They asked him to write an undertaking and requested N30,000 for bail. Despite several pleas, they refused.

“I asked that I see the carpenter in his cell. While talking to him, the IPO said she was going to bring POS for the payment of the N30,000. I advised the carpenter to offer them N5,000 but he said they might reject it and that he would give them N10,000.”

The lawyer told PUNCH Metro that another female officer who was not around when the IPO asked him to stay with his client came in and accused him of being with a detained suspect without the presence of an officer.

He said, “She started poking her fingers on my chest but I told her not to touch me. She threatened to head-butt me and called me a useless charge-and-bail lawyer. The Divisional Police Officer, Austin Arase, came and accused me of disrespecting the officers. Before I could speak, he raised his hand in an attempt to slap me. I told him he would not dare do that to a lawyer and a member of the NBA. He brought his hand down and ordered that they lock me up. He held one end of my trousers, another male police officer and the IPO woman held my clothes and they all dragged me to the cell area. They forcefully removed my clothes and everything I was with and pushed me inside the cell.”

The lawyer said his brother was informed. According to him, the police told his brother he was being detained because he attempted to disarm an officer.

He said, “The next morning, my brother came with my aunt and started begging for my release. My brother came to meet me and told me to do whatever they asked. They took me to the DPO’s office. I noticed that there was a video screen to watch everything going on in the station through the CCTV cameras.

While writing the statement, they asked why I attacked the DPO. I was shocked and said it was the DPO that wanted to slap me. I also included in the statement that there were cameras around and the video recordings would prove my innocence.

“We went back to the DPO after reading the statement. He said they should lock me up again, which they did. My aunt also came and asked me to withdraw my statement. After so much talk, I followed her upstairs and met the DPO again. The DPO said I should sit down and asked me what happened the previous day. I narrated everything. The DPO asked them to bring a Maltina drink for me.”

It was gathered that the DPO instructed Olumide to bring a surety. However, when his brother and aunt volunteered, the DPO was said to have rejected them.

“He said he cannot allow a woman to be a surety and he could accept my brother but I needed to bring a civil servant. My aunt told me she is a civil servant but he refused. She called someone and when he came, the DPO said he was going somewhere so we had to wait. We waited for hours but he did not arrive around 10pm,” Olumide said.

PUNCH Metro gathered that Olumide’s client who had been released on bail was re-arrested before he could leave the station and was locked up with Olumide in the same cell.

He said, “The following morning, the Area Commander arrived around 4am and accused me of assaulting the DPO. He said they would charge me to court the following day. A police woman who was with me helped me up and they took me back to the cell. Some minutes later, they came to call me at the request of the Area Commander. I told them I could not walk. I was in serious pain.

“The officer went back and two officers came again and accused me of disrespecting the Area Commander. I told them I wanted to come but my legs were shaking and I needed help walking. They approached me and pulled me up but I fell back down. They lifted me and helped me to walk. The Area Commander asked me to narrate what had happened. While doing that, he asked me to move closer to him because he could not hear me. I told him I could not move my legs. He became angry and left.”

PUNCH Metro learnt that Olumide was later released in the afternoon and his client was also said to have been bailed the second time.

Olumide’s brother, who confirmed the story, told our correspondent that the appropriate branch of the Nigerian Bar Association had been informed and necessary steps were being taken to seek justice.

The DPO did not respond to calls as of press time.

When contacted, the National Publicity Secretary of the NBA, Akorede Habeeb-Lawal, said he would get back to our correspondent. He never did as of the time of filing this report.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident accusing Olumide of acting “without decorum”.

“Lawyers come to police stations every day without issues. He was different. He acted without decorum,” Hundeyin added.

https://punchng.com/lawyer-detained-for-seeking-clients-bail-hospitalised-seeks-justice/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by naptu2: 2:44pm On Jan 10
NBA Lagos Branch @NbaLagos

LAWYERS IN LAGOS PROTEST!

The Nigerian Bar association Lagos branch is calling on all lawyers in Lagos to join In the protest against police brutality.

Date: Thursday 11th January, 2024
Time: 10am
Venue: Ikeja Branch Center

https://twitter.com/NbaLagos/status/1744978304828907939

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by naptu2: 2:44pm On Jan 10
SP Benjamin Hundeyin @BenHundeyin

RE: LAWYER DETAINED FOR SEEKING CLIENT'S BAIL HOSPITALISED, SEEKS JUSTICE
- CP ORDERS IMMEDIATE REMOVAL OF DPO

Following the conclusion of investigations into the allegations made against the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Gowon Estate Division, as published in Punch Newspaper of January 4, 2024, the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, CP Adegoke Fayoade, mni has ordered the immediate removal of the DPO pending a review of his case by other supervisory authorities. The CP had earlier ordered a thorough investigation into the matter upon receipt of the publication.

CP Fayoade has equally directed the OC Legal of the Command to initiate steps to reach out to the Nigerian Bar Association, Lagos State Branch to enable a round table discussion towards preventing a recurrence of the avoidable incident and enhancing better police-lawyers relationship.

The Lagos State Police Command, under the stewardship of CP Fayoade, will continue to uphold the rule of law, while not hesitating to sanction any officer found engaging in unprofessional, unethical and discreditable conduct.

SP BENJAMIN HUNDEYIN, anipr, mipra
POLICE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
LAGOS STATE COMMAND
IKEJA

JANUARY 9, 2024.

https://twitter.com/BenHundeyin/status/1744811791165608069

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by naptu2: 2:45pm On Jan 10
SP Benjamin Hundeyin @BenHundeyin

ONGOING: Meeting between @LagosPoliceNG Commissioner of Police, CP Adegoke Fayoade, mni and the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) led by Barrister Chukwuka Ikwuazom SAN.

https://twitter.com/BenHundeyin/status/1745020706146898052

1 Share

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by naptu2: 2:46pm On Jan 10
NBA faults police for detaining lawyer seeking client’s bail

5th January 2024
By Babatunde Titilola

The Nigerian Bar Association has condemned what it termed the unlawful detention of its member, a Lagos-based lawyer, Olumide Sonupe.

Sonupe was said to have been hospitalised after he was detained by the police on December 30, 2023.

Speaking exclusively with PUNCH Metro on Thursday, the association’s National Publicity Secretary, Akorede Habeeb-Lawal, demanded the release of the videos which were recorded through the CCTV cameras installed in the police station.

PUNCH Metro had earlier reported that the 36-year-old Olumide was hospitalised after he was said to have been detained by the police while seeking the bail of his client at the Moshalashi Police Station in the Alimosho area of the state on December 30, 2023.

It was learnt that his health deteriorated upon his release from the police station on January 1, 2024, after spending two nights with his client in the police cell.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the incident happened when Olumide went to the station on December 30 to seek the bail of his client, a carpenter, who had been detained for an alleged breach of contract.

Olumide told PUNCH Metro that a female officer had accused him of speaking with his client without the presence of an officer.

He said while trying to clear the misunderstanding and appeal to the officers on the N30,000 bail sum demanded for his client, the Divisional Police Officer, Austin Arase, came in and ordered that he should be detained as he accused him of disrespecting the officers.

The lawyer stated that he was also accused of assaulting an officer and eventually spent two nights in the cell.

He was said to have ended up at the hospital after his release due to medical emergencies.

Speaking to our correspondent, the NBA publicity Secretary, Habeeb-Lawal, said the association had received an official complaint and ordered a probe into the matter.

He said, “We have taken up the issue alongside the Chairman of the Ikeja branch, Oluwaseyi Olawumi, and the Security Agencies Relations Committee of the NBA. We have the chairman’s commitment to send a petition to the Lagos State Commissioner of Police and the Police Service Commission over the conduct of the police officers involved in this matter.

“We are not pre-judging anything like what the state Police Public Relations Officer had said. We want a proper investigation to be conducted and the outcome made public. Our colleague has insisted that he never assaulted the police officer. How could a civilian assault police officers in their station? We are talking about Nigerian police officers here.”

Habeeb-Lawal said the NBA wanted the police to release the station’s CCTV recordings to confirm the authenticity of the claims, noting that the association “would not tolerate assault on its members.”

He further stated that the association is ready to support Olumide and ensure that necessary disciplinary actions are taken against any erring officer in the case while condemning the increasing cases of police harassment.

“We are not only involved in this case because Olumide is a lawyer, but also because he is a Nigerian citizen. We recognise that the police dedicate their time and lives to protect people but we will also not tolerate any harassment on any person,” he added.

Olumide’s brother, Babatunde, told PUNCH Metro on Thursday that the 36-year-old has been discharged from the hospital.

This was also confirmed by the chairman of the NBA Ikeja branch, Oluwaseyi Olawumi, who spoke with our correspondent on Friday.

The chairman, however, promised to make comments on the matter at a later time.

He had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.

A human rights advocate, Ayo Ademiluyi, said Olumide’s colleagues expect the NBA to set out appropriate actions against the police officers and ensure justice is served.

https://punchng.com/nba-faults-police-for-detaining-lawyer-seeking-clients-bail/
Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by Amotolongbo(f): 2:50pm On Jan 10

1 Like

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by naptu2: 3:14pm On Jan 10
Lagos CP removes DPO over lawyer’s detention after PUNCH report

9th January 2024
By Deborah Sanusi

The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, CP Adegoke Fayoade, has ordered the removal of the Divisional Police Officer, Gown Estate Division, Austin Arase, following the conclusion of investigations into the allegations made against the DPO.

This was revealed in a statement signed by the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, on Tuesday.

The statement read, “Following the conclusion of investigations into the allegations made against the Divisional Police Officer, Gown Estate Division, as published in Punch Newspaper of January 4, 2024, the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, CP Adegoke Fayoade, halas ordered the immediate removal of the DPO pending a review of his case by other supervisory authorities.

“The CP had earlier ordered a thorough investigation into the matter upon receipt of the publication.

“CP Fayoade has equally directed the OC Legal of the Command to initiate steps to reach out to the Nigerian Bar Association, Lagos State Branch to enable a round table discussion towards preventing a recurrence of the avoidable incident and enhancing better police-lawyers relationship.”

The statement added that the Lagos State Police Command, under Fayoade, will continue to uphold the rule of law, and will not hesitate to sanction any officer found engaging in unprofessional, unethical and discreditable conduct.

PUNCH Metro reports last Thursday that a Lagos-based lawyer, Olumide Sonupe, was hospitalised after he was said to have been detained by the police while seeking the bail of his client at the Moshalashi Police Station in the Alimosho area of the state on December 30, 2023.

It was learnt that the 36-year-old Sonupe was taken to the hospital when his health deteriorated upon his release from the police station on January 1, 2024 after spending two nights with his client in the police cell.

The incident happened when Sonupe went to the station on December 30 to seek the bail of his client, a carpenter, who had been detained for alleged breach of contract.

Sonupe told PUNCH Metro that a female officer had accused him of speaking with his client without the presence of an officer.

He said while trying to clear the misunderstanding and appeal to the officers on the N30,000 bail sum demanded for his client, the Divisional Police Officer, Austin Arase, came in and ordered that he should be detained as he accused him of disrespecting the officers.

The Nigerian Bar Association also condemned what it termed the unlawful detention of its member.

Speaking exclusively with PUNCH Metro, the association’s National Publicity Secretary, Akorede Habeeb-Lawal, said the association had received an official complaint and ordered a probe into the matter.

They also demanded the release of the videos which were recorded through the CCTV cameras installed in the police station.

https://punchng.com/lagos-cp-removes-dpo-over-lawyers-detention-after-punch-report/
Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by BarrElChapo(m): 3:31pm On Jan 10
I will be there
Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by WhisperedNoise: 3:33pm On Jan 10
Nigeria is becoming more lawless as the days go by, especially under this administration.

Unfortunately, the NPF and DSS have left their duty posts and have turned to tools of harrasment, intimidation and bullying. It's pathetic. Very unfortunate.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by clockwisereport: 3:35pm On Jan 10
Charge and bail lawyer
Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by fineboynl(m): 3:35pm On Jan 10
..Nigeria is a banana republic.

Lawlessness and unprofessionalism

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by NaijaCover(m): 3:37pm On Jan 10
Nawa o
Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by abhosts(m): 3:37pm On Jan 10
Naija Police and Soldiers are like delinquent kids from the same parents. I was so shocked to see people that claimed to love Nigeria take the side of the lawless soldier against Gov Sanwo-Olu. I am now routing for Sanwo-Olu's success because he exhibited passionate leadership traits in that exchange.

44 Likes 8 Shares

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by sofeo(m): 3:38pm On Jan 10
Alright then.
Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by theophorus(m): 3:38pm On Jan 10
Police!...

Some people ehn, the Thunder wen go strike dem still dey do Testing-Microphone.

2 Likes

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by BondRiv: 3:40pm On Jan 10
This rubbish needs to stop. Even officers that can't spell their names harass lawyers at police stations.

All those involved should be prosecuted.

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by Administration1: 3:40pm On Jan 10
If CCTV come out make i bend

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by BigBlackPreek(m): 3:42pm On Jan 10
Nawa o.... Nigerian Police can flex muscles shaaa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by geoworldedu: 3:45pm On Jan 10
Wonders always cooking in this part of the world. The police have grown wings and they feel they are above the law.
Anyways, the law here is too weak and many people are actually above it.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by NOETHNICITY(m): 3:47pm On Jan 10
Is NBA implying that lawyers are above the law?
Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by ClearFlair: 3:47pm On Jan 10
Such a shame that this is happening.

1 Like

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by stevups(m): 3:47pm On Jan 10
clockwisereport:
Charge and bail lawyer

Lolz... A poor person is referred to as Charge and bail Lawyer

2 Likes

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by GboyegaD(m): 3:47pm On Jan 10
Hmm...interesting to know they can protest. With the madness going on within them why haven't they protested? Or are members of NJC not also members of NBA?

1 Like

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by clockwisereport: 3:48pm On Jan 10
stevups:

Lolz... A poor person is referred to as Charge and bail Lawyer

Can they do that to a SAN?

1 Like

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by 3seriez(m): 3:49pm On Jan 10
Power intoxicates. Come to Nigeria and see it on display daily.

11 Likes

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by bennybuhari: 3:49pm On Jan 10
Yeye NBA
Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by LowKeyManny: 3:51pm On Jan 10
abhosts:
Naija Police and Soldiers are like delinquent kids from the same parents. I was so shocked to see people that claimed to love Nigeria take the side of the lawless soldier against Gov Sanwo-Olu. I am now routing for Sanwo-Olu's success because he exhibited passionate leadership traits in that exchange.

I have come to understand that people are oftentimes reflection of the quality of leadership they get. Looking at the behavioural traits of Nigerians, do we really deserve good or corrupt-free leaders?

8 Likes

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by BondRiv: 3:51pm On Jan 10
clockwisereport:
Charge and bail lawyer

Ignorant fellow.

4 Likes

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by Houseontherock1: 3:51pm On Jan 10
We all need to kick against police brutality... it's getting out of hands! How can they claim that a lawyer harrassed a police officer- in his office! We all know that's a blatant lie. If they get away with harassing and detaining lawyers for flimsy excuses, it'll be a shame

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Plans Protest As Police Remove DPO For Detaining Lawyer. by clockwisereport: 3:52pm On Jan 10
BondRiv:

Ignorant fellow.

My unlearned colleague

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Emeka Kalu, DG Atiku Agenda 2019 In A Meeting With Atiku (Photos) / Army Repels Boko Haram Terrorists Incursion Into Ngala IDP Camp (Photos) / Nigerian Ladies Rain Curses On German Police For Treating Them Like Animals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.