Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,282 members, 7,829,638 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

Tv Series, A Veritable Tool For National Cohesion - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Tv Series, A Veritable Tool For National Cohesion (998 Views)

Your Top 3 Tv Series For 2014 / Marco Polo (TV Series Season 1 2014 -) / Hannibal(tv Series); A Must See (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tv Series, A Veritable Tool For National Cohesion by Tunjman(m): 3:33pm On Nov 04, 2011

1980s,90s and some parts of 2000,Nigerians were usually bonded together not only by football but by popular local soap operas and some Latin American telenovelas (dominantly from Mexico).

In the late 80s/early 90s Cock crow at Dawn ,Village Headmaster,Mirror in the sun,Behind the Clouds,Ripples,Mind Bending,Supple Blues,Checkmate and Fortunes hit the airwaves.Family,friends and foes would gather to see these soaps after the day’s work,usually at night.However,these local soaps started giving ways to foreign telenovelas which an average Nigerian became addicted to,the signature tune of these soaps would get everyone running helter skelter to find a place to view them,Bars are usually filled up to the brim,road side record sellers could also earn a living if passers-by were mandated to pay to view the programme.

The Latin American “The Rich Also Cry”,”Secrets of the Sand”, “No one but you”,”Lady of the Rose”, “Maria De los Angeles” were all love stories presented to non Spanish audience with strong English voice over.After and episode,lovers of these soaps would gather to suggest what would happen in the next episode of the suspense-filled stories.Gatherings back then can only be likened to when people gather to discuss football today.

In 2005,there came “When you are mine”, “Catalina and Sebastian”,”The Gardener’s Daughter”, “Second Chance”,” Until my last Breath” and “Lorenzo’s wife”…These soaps attracted a huge viewership across the nation while they ran on our airwaves and subsequently brought into our midst “FRIENDSHIP”.

Things however took a new turn when broadcasting started giving way to narrow casting and this is the end result of placing more priority on money rather than national cohesion,home videos and cable satellites are now the best media to see educative films,it is now a question of “what you pay determines what you see”,all that is left for our local channels to transmit are films by unpopular producers craving for relevance in the industry.

My submission,As part of their Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR), corporate organizations should sponsor more interesting tv series where everyone can benefit and not game shows where only few benefit…Broadcasting promotes peace more than narrow casting!!!
Re: Tv Series, A Veritable Tool For National Cohesion by ArQuAbOy(m): 11:44am On Nov 06, 2011
Rite wit u on dis one
Re: Tv Series, A Veritable Tool For National Cohesion by iice(f): 2:52pm On Nov 07, 2011
Interesting
Re: Tv Series, A Veritable Tool For National Cohesion by vescucci(m): 10:57am On Nov 08, 2011
I read this cuz of you, cara. Didn't regret it.

@poster, well thought out. Makes sense
Re: Tv Series, A Veritable Tool For National Cohesion by Forrest473: 11:25am On Nov 08, 2011
I usually watch TV series and especially with the Toolf for National Cohesion i like it. I am forward to looking for more another series smiley

(1) (Reply)

Dstv And Their New Showings / If You Loved American Beauty, You Will Fall In Love With My American Mistress / Video: Unserious Nigerian Students (short Drama) By A Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.