Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit (5988 Views)

Rivers: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Fubara (PDP), Dismisses Cole's Petition / Zamfara: Supreme Court Affirms Gov Lawal-Dare (PDP), Dismisses APC's Suit / Kano: Supreme Court Affirms Gov Kabir Yusuf (NNPP), dismisses APC's suit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by fergie001: 1:39pm On Jan 11
The Supreme Court on Thursday, dismissed the appeals filed by Albert Bassey, John Akpanudoedehe and Akanimo Udofia, Governorship Candidates of the Young Progressives Party (YPP), New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) and All Progressives Congress (APC) respectively, challenging the declaration and return of PDP's Umo Eno as Governor of Akwa Ibom State in the 18th March Governorship poll.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on March 21, declared PDP's Eno winner of the election after securing 356348 votes, to defeat Bassey of the YPP (136262), Udofia of the APC (129602) and Akpanudoedehe of the NNPP (12509).

Dissatisfied with the results as declared by the Commission, the trio separately approached the tribunal with INEC, Eno & PDP listed as first, second and third defendants respectively.

Their petitions were anchored on the following grounds:

(1) That the 2nd defendant was at the time of the election, not qualified to contest the election having submitted a forged WAEC certificate in aid of his qualification

(2) That the Primary of the 3rd defendant that produced the 2nd defendant was not in compliance with the Electoral Law and the 1999 CFRN.

(3) That the 2nd defendant was convicted by a Magistrate Court and hence not qualified to contest the election.

In September 2023, the Justice Adekunle Adeleye led 3-man tribunal dismissed the Petitions brought by all the parties.

The tribunal upheld the preliminary objections bothering on jurisdiction and non qualification of the 2nd Respondent, and declared that Pastor Umo Eno was eminently qualified and that the earlier judgement of the Supreme Court in the case filed against him by Mr Akan Ekpe Okon was binding to all human beings, in the world, including the petitioners.

The tribunal also decided that the petitioners lacked the locus to challenge how the 3rd Respondent, PDP conducted its primaries to produce a candidate.

Dissatisfied with the outcome, all three parties appealed the separate judgements and met the same fate at the Court of Appeal.

Obviously not happy, they went a step further to the Apex Court for reprieve.

The 5-man panel led by Justice Uwani Musa Abba-Aji JSC unanimously upheld the judgements of the lower courts.

In suit No: Akanimo Udofia v. INEC & 4 Ors; the Court held that the appeal ought not to have been brought to the Court as it was a waste of time.

The Apex court also held that the allegations of criminal convictions against the governor had been set aside by a court of law.

However, counsel to the APC Hassan Liman maintained that the meat of the APC 's appeal was that the Governor and his deputy were once convicted by various courts.

He argued they were constitutionally disqualified from contesting the polls.

But when quizzed by the Justices, he admitted that their conviction by a Magistrate Court in Abuja was purportedly set aside by the same court and not the Appeal Court.

“As a matter of fact, you are wasting our time.,” Justice Emmanuel Agim told Liman, counsel to the APC.

“You are a senior lawyer, do what is needful,” the apex court told the lawyer, saying without an appeal, the governor was no longer a convict.

Liman finally bowed to the judges by withdrawing the appeal.

“As a senior officer of this court, I want to thank the court, I accept the decision of this court.

“I humbly in the interest of justice, apply to withdraw this appeal,”
Liman said.

“This appeal, having been withdrawn without any objection, is hereby dismissed,” the apex court held.

The Apex Court also held that the dismissal was binding on the other suits since they were hinged on same grounds. Other suits affected were: SC/CV/1231/2023 (Akpanudoedehe John & NNPP v. Eno, INEC & PDP) and SC/CV/1230/2023 (Akpan Albert Bassey & YPP v. Eno, PDP & INEC)

3 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by Xscape1993(m): 2:15pm On Jan 11
Congratulations to pastor Eno! What is the evil party call APC is even challenging?

7 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by Politicstoday: 2:20pm On Jan 11
Congratulations 🎉 to Pastor Eno of Akwa Ibom State

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by garfield1: 2:24pm On Jan 11
Noooooooooo.this man forged his waec.saintkeppy,so sorry.but this man looks liberal and cool like Peter mbah

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by fergie001: 2:37pm On Jan 11
garfield1:
Noooooooooo.this man forged his waec.saintkeppy,so sorry.but this man looks liberal and cool like Peter mbah
Hahahaha.. you sef ehn.

Tomorrow is the blockbuster. This AKS matter died months ago!
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by garfield1: 2:40pm On Jan 11
fergie001:

Hahahaha.. you sef ehn.

Tomorrow is the blockbuster. This AKS matter died months ago!

The governor is lucky that the high court upturned his conviction..
I feel nnpp will retain Kano but with the confidence being displayed by ganduje and Kano apc, something is amiss

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by fergie001: 2:41pm On Jan 11
garfield1:

The governor is lucky that the high court upturned his conviction..
I feel nnpp will retain Kano but with the confidence being displayed by ganduje and Kano apc, something is amiss
Tomorrow will be hot, 7 cases will be decided.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by garfield1: 2:50pm On Jan 11
fergie001:

Tomorrow will be hot, 7 cases will be decided.

At least one governor should lose his seat,more likely plateau though I don't like how agim quizzed prof olatoke
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by fergie001: 2:52pm On Jan 11
garfield1:

At least one governor should lose his seat,more likely plateau though I don't like how agim quizzed prof olatoke
Hahaha

The question is already giving a direction of the Courts. The PDP supporters are all over Facebook rejoicing... grin

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by garfield1: 2:55pm On Jan 11
fergie001:
Hahaha

The question is already giving a direction of the Courts. The PDP supporters are all over Facebook rejoicing... grin

Luckily,he wasn't asked to withdraw the case.even agabi was quizzed and he admitted that the appeal court judgment is damaging.i don't know what excuse they will find for Caleb as the apex court has no jurisdiction to overturn the high court judgment

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by fergie001: 3:00pm On Jan 11
garfield1:

Luckily,he wasn't asked to withdraw the case.even agabi was quizzed and he admitted that the appeal court judgment is damaging.i don't know what excuse they will find for Caleb as the apex court has no jurisdiction to overturn the high court judgment
I don't understand. The Apex Court has jurisdiction to upturn any decision of the lower Courts.

Caleb needs a miracle to survive though.

For AKS, Albert Bassey can now rest.

3 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by Ezewuzie01: 3:06pm On Jan 11
Tomorrow is the big one. Kano state will likely revert back to APC.

3 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by garfield1: 3:10pm On Jan 11
fergie001:
I don't understand. The Apex Court has jurisdiction to upturn any decision of the lower Courts.

Caleb needs a miracle to survive though.

For AKS, Albert Bassey can now rest.

You are not getting me.this supreme court sitting is sitting as a post election/election tribunal/election court and has no jurisdiction or right over pre election or normal civil cases.their jurisdiction is only limited to what the tribunal and appeal court ruled.what the normal civil courts have ruled,they cannot upturn it.they are bound by the justice gyang ruling no matter how perverse or ridiculous the judgment is.the case got to them last year yet they failed to rule on it.therefore they lost the locus.the only thing they can do is to use technicalities.i suspect the judgment might be split with maybe agim and Helen voting for Caleb.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by fergie001: 3:19pm On Jan 11
garfield1:

You are not getting me.this supreme court sitting is sitting as a post election/election tribunal/election court and has no jurisdiction or right over pre election or normal civil cases.their jurisdiction is only limited to what the tribunal and appeal court ruled.what the normal civil courts have ruled,they cannot upturn it.they are bound by the justice gyang ruling no matter how perverse or ridiculous the judgment is.the case got to them last year yet they failed to rule on it.therefore they lost the locus.the only thing they can do is to use technicalities.i suspect the judgment might be split with maybe agim and Helen voting for Caleb.
Kano & Plateau should be split.
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by atobs4real(m): 3:20pm On Jan 11
Congratulations for winning the battle.
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by markidoo(m): 3:21pm On Jan 11
Who born Dog 🐕
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by atobs4real(m): 3:21pm On Jan 11
Congratulations for winning the battle.
Do the needful for your people as testimonies to celebrate your winnings.
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by Nairalander248: 3:23pm On Jan 11
Wawu...

Can the Happy hour begin ?
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by Sunisonflex39(m): 3:24pm On Jan 11
If you are into crypto, you might want to check my signature.

Gather s much as you can and wait for the bull run
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by bigdammyj: 3:26pm On Jan 11
Okay, noted.
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by fergie001: 3:27pm On Jan 11
Nairalander248:
Wawu...

Can the Happy hour begin ?
Na there Dem go see you grin
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by MFORC(m): 3:27pm On Jan 11
Some of una no de read before commenting at all.
Xscape1993:
The evil party call APC is a fraudulent party...

3 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by Nigercity: 3:30pm On Jan 11
All this people should stop distracting and disturbing governors
Allow them to work,

I no blame them
Nah they barristers wey they give them
high hopes about winning I dey blame
They're they ones milking them dry grin
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:32pm On Jan 11
Justice For Democracy........... so says the naysayers cool

You will say dem crying all over the cyber space when the Supreme court delivers seven judgements on Friday.

COH everywhere 😛

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by omenka1: 3:32pm On Jan 11
Tw
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:35pm On Jan 11
fergie001:
Hahaha

The question is already giving a direction of the Courts.
The PDP supporters are all over Facebook rejoicing... grin
That means say all of dem don becomes millionaires for dem state be dat o.
No more poverty.
Enjoyment Galore throughout all his tenure.
Hence the rejoicing.

Dis thing call politics ehn 🙄

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by wolesmile(m): 3:36pm On Jan 11
Xscape1993:
The evil party call APC is a fraudulent party...
Receive healing...
Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by Honestey: 3:36pm On Jan 11
Judiciary is fair and just for now, finger cross for tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Eno (pdp), Dismisses Ypp, Apc, Nnpp Suit by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:37pm On Jan 11
wolesmile:

Receive healing...
Amen 🙏 on his behalf.......

2 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

NNPC Paid Militants 1.4 Billion Naira / Jos Monarch Relocates From Palace As 12 Die In Violence / Did President Obama Tap His Wife's Buttocks In This Photo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.