Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,724 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget (6751 Views)

Tinubu Nominates Atiku Bagudu & Olawale Edun Into Transition Council / Is El-Rufai And Atiku Bagudu Sending A Cryptic Message By Endorsing Tinubu? / Bagudu: Why APC Governors Are Pushing For NEC Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by treesun: 11:48pm On Jan 11
The Federal Government, on Thursday, said it settled for N800 to dollar exchange rate in the 2024 Appropriation Act after considering the average performance of the naira.

It said it avoided basing the foreign exchange benchmark in the 2024 budget on a spot rate, to avoid eventualities and uncertainties.

The Minister of Budget and National Planning, Atiku Bagudu, who spoke with State House correspondents explained that the FG had earlier chosen the projected exchange rate of N750 to the dollar in the 2024 budget which the National Assembly raised to N800 to the dollar,

Bagudu said, “For budgeting purposes, you don’t use the spot rate of anything. Oil prices can go to 120 today, maybe there is a shortage, or maybe there is a collision between two ships that will block a channel.

“It would be foolish to use that as a reference price, I should take a period maybe six months to one year and say let me observe this average behaviour, so you don’t use spot prices. So even with the exchange rate, it is like that.”

He explained further, “Much as we are hoping that it would soon come below, but at the time you are doing the budget, you will take a view on average performance. And that’s what we took.

“We took an average performance of N750 on the executive side and we proposed it to the National Assembly.”

The minister also said that Tinubu regarded the National Assembly’s decision to raise the rate further considering his respect for institutions and democracy.

“So, he respected democracy that even though it was higher than what he submitted, but the institution that says so has the authority to say so and even at the time they say 100 because it’s not an official rate it’s tidal because, with the deregulated market, you no longer have an official rate, it is much lower than even the way the markets are bidding,” the minister said.

The minister noted that the FG is positive that its current measures would soon yield a significant increase in the supply of foreign exchange in the economy.

Bagudu also spoke on the level of borrowing to fund the deficit in the 2024 budget, saying there is a significant difference between 2024 borrowing compared to last year’s.

“In 2023, the budget anticipated a borrowing of close to N14tn. This year’s budget is N9.1 trillion. So we think that is significant.

“Because it’s 2023 took us to about 6.11 per cent of our GDP as borrowing. This one is 3.8 per cent. So the quantum had decreased,” Bagudu added.

The former Kebbi State Governor said the FG will operate strictly within the dictates of fiscal responsibility law in the new year, which provides for the Central Bank of Nigeria to lend to the government through its Ways and Means window, only 5 per cent of the total budget.

He explained, “We will not go outside the law and borrow from ways and means, what is outside the law. So the fiscal responsibility law says, that every year, the central bank can lend the government up to 5 per cent of its budget for the year.

“So if you go out of that, you’re going outside the lawful limit, and that’s what the minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy was very clear we are not going to do. We are not going to resort to borrowing outside the law.

“And secondly, as much as possible, we will even borrow away from the central bank because sometimes it’s even cheaper to borrow. So, those are the two elements. So the quantum has decreased, then we will go by the book.”

https://punchng.com/why-fg-chose-n800-dollar-exchange-rate-for-2024-budget-minister/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by buharibanjo(m): 12:24am On Jan 12
Hmm..
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by Notfogotten: 12:48am On Jan 12
This technically means Naira to USD will exchange at #1800/USD before end of January 2024.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by gaby(m): 1:10am On Jan 12
You'd be deceived to think he understood the gibberish he's uttering here.

Ekpa

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by tunwumi: 1:49am On Jan 12
400+ between official and parallel market
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by matify83: 2:58am On Jan 12
“We will not go outside the law and borrow from ways and means, what is outside the law"

You guys printed 7 trillion in 7 months last year and borrowed like it would soon go out of fashion.

With the Gulf region tethering on the brinks of a major war that may distort oil supply chain, pegging our budget on an exchange rate of 800/dollars may be counter productive.

Una never give us sign say hope dey.

12 Likes

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by CHRISSANCHEZ(m): 3:36am On Jan 12
Talking crap....... What was his performance as governor of Kebbi State for 8 solid year ??

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by Iamanoited: 5:52am On Jan 12
TAG NAIRA AT N500 : $1 NOW TILL JUNE 2024 AND FROM FIRST JULY 2024, NAIRA SHOULD BE N200 : $1.

1 Like

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by Blackfire(m): 6:28am On Jan 12
There is fire on the mountain...and no one seems to be on the run....

2 Likes

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by Parable007: 7:00am On Jan 12
"Which the national assembly raised to N800/$
Meaning naira is not actually depreciating. It is only being depreciated. Reasons best known to them.
Every evil in this country has the hand of politics

3 Likes

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by treesun: 7:56am On Jan 12
800!, Only God can help us!

1 Like

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by tishbite41(m): 8:10am On Jan 12
Just to enable their corruption

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by bigdammyj: 8:11am On Jan 12
Reading…
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by money121(m): 8:13am On Jan 12
Eheh
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by sofeo(m): 8:17am On Jan 12
Let's hear it.
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by yeshuasfootstep(m): 8:19am On Jan 12
The kind of names am hearing sounds like people who will be jubilating as the dollar is rising.

God please help us.
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by Gadafii: 8:19am On Jan 12
I ca assure you that this minister does not know what he’s saying

The moment he started talking about oil scarcity as a result of ships colliding at sea thereby blocking the channel I knew right away that he’s confused

Nigerians are in for a long ride, please make no agbado quote me Abeg, na beg I beg🙏🙏

5 Likes

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by lonelydora: 8:26am On Jan 12
Yeye dey smell.

No president in 8 years made policy somersault like Tinubu has done in 7 months.

Master strategist in the mud.

5 Likes

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by millhouse: 8:28am On Jan 12
And someone here is expecting dollar rate to fall to N500/$1 .

1 Like

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by iwaeda: 8:30am On Jan 12
treesun:

https://punchng.com/why-fg-chose-n800-dollar-exchange-rate-for-2024-budget-minister/

How can companies survive on #800/$1. We need to focus more local production and make people safe to access their farms. When Ayoola and Olaola poundo yam started, I was innthe State, almost every store near me sells. You can imagine the income. Our leaders are not , betta educated. grin grin grin grin grin angry
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by BigDawsNet: 8:35am On Jan 12
You met it 400 and dragged it 800...

I don't get it? Are you on that sit to make ur people suffer?

I believe a normal nation should be working on appreciating its own local currency against the almighty dollar!

What are this guys doing seriously
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by Obinoscopy(m): 9:16am On Jan 12
If the average dollar rate for 2024 is eventually 1000 naira, it means the FG will have to borrow extra 200 naira (ie 1000 - 800 = 200) for every dollar borrowed in addition to the money they are already borrowing. That's a 25% increase in debt. And to be honest with you, I think the naira to dollar rate will be higher than 1000 naira in this 2024. I'm not a prophet of doom, I'm just saying things as I see them.

2 Likes

Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by trevorlinda: 10:15am On Jan 12
N800 per $1

isnt dat wonderful
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by skultrick(m): 10:24am On Jan 12
So basically, the peg it at that rate to steal more with no questions asked. You might hear things like budget padding later.

If the naira falls further, will dey account for the extra since our economy has now been dollarized.?

I don't think Nigeria will ever meet up with 1st world countries until we have working institutions that can thoroughly checkmate every single public office holder.
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by cutedharmee: 10:40am On Jan 12
There is problem
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by tojahh(m): 12:26pm On Jan 12
He asked... Do we spend dollar here? Why are you troubled?

Shey na statistics we go chop? grin
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by Iamanoited: 1:04pm On Jan 12
BRING DOWN THE DOLLAR TO N500 : $1 NOW .

AND PETROL PRICE DOWN TO N500 per liter.
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by ConfidentialDoc: 3:06pm On Jan 12
800/litre loading
Re: Atiku Bagudu: Why FG Chose N800/$ Exchange Rate For 2024 Budget by bizhop01: 2:53am On Jan 13
Criminals can only deceived fools, Since 1990 when ever dollar breakout against naira. The useless currency pair called naira will never bounce back, neither any tangible retracement cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Presidential Election Tribunal Upholds Yar'adua's Election / Would Chris Ngige Be A Masterstroke??? / Lagos-ibadan Expressway Reconstruction To Be Completed In 24-30 Months-fg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.