Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report (31568 Views)

UK Varsities To Layoff Workers, As Enrolment By Nigerians, Others Dwindle / Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada / RE: Fed. Varsities May Not Benefit From N10 Billion ‘universities Solar Project’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by maasoap(m): 3:32pm On Jan 12
yahoodetector:
The PM should maintain his stance.

Stop these people from trooping into UK after that have voted for Bulaba and destroyed the country.

Now they have channeled their energy to Canada.

I have sent series of emails to the Canadian Diplomatic Missions to tell them of this trend and I am glad that somehow it is paying off and they have started tightening stringent policies in their visa approval.

We and una must dey this country experience the premium shege.

The "they" I am talking about know themselves
Two or three years to come, nobody will tell them to change their policy again. No be the first time, won't be the last

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by benalvino3: 3:34pm On Jan 12
Gerrard59:

Indians come second after Nigerians in dependants. Chinese, previously the highest in international students, have the lowest dependant ratio. Please, let's not lie on the Internet.

https://www.thecable.ng/uk-nigeria-has-highest-international-students-dependents-in-last-4-years

which proves my point given they are the ones getting the most VISA to enter these countries.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by SoNature(m): 3:35pm On Jan 12
Gerrard59:

People who use "there" for "their", "borrow" for "lend" and scream with their smelling mouths open that "Englush no be my papa language" cannot be described as proficient speakers of the English language.

Nobody knows it all...even Americans make that mistake on social media but they are still considered native English speakers. While English isn't our first language, there are just a few countries in this world that write and speak better English than Nigeria.

Nigeria, in this context, doesn't include the northerners (thank God those ones don't bother leaving the country to further their education). I mean Southern Nigeria, and probably the middle belt. The good thing is that many of their schools are accepting WAEC results now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by kunle75(m): 3:35pm On Jan 12
Islie:

https://punchng.com/uk-varsities-falling-into-deficit-as-foreign-students-reduce-report/?amp

Those universities should merge and consolidate into few and recapitalize to shore up their finances.
Atleast the few good ones that are available before now are thriving without those policies. Not even 50% of those graduates secure good jobs after school.

Abeg let them do whatever we don't care

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by MrSundry: 3:36pm On Jan 12
You can't eat your cake and have it. You want the international students money but you don't want them to come with their dependents. No way!!

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by benalvino3: 3:36pm On Jan 12
ednut1:
india has the second largest number of dependent on student visa in uk

this proves my point. now check the number of Indians migrating to other countries compared to other countries.
Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by Honestey: 3:39pm On Jan 12
In other words, we are helping each other and not that we are problems for them

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by DadaStephen1(m): 3:41pm On Jan 12
You sound like you’re making sense, but what you just wrote here is an entire thrash that makes no meaningful or reasonable sense in any way.

Una go just Sidon, add two plus two, open mouth waaaa dey talk rubbish.

That’s stakeholders raising alarm and appealing to the government to tone down on their anti student immigrant policy because it’s spoiling business for them, you’re assuming nonsense.

Do you know how much is £75,000,000,000 that these universities pay as taxes to the government through students in Naira? That’s exclusive of their profits! Do the maths if you can.

The decline started gradually from September, but they didn’t take it seriously. What they got in January was lower than what they projected based on the new policy. Imagine expecting population in a class to drop from 600 students to 300 students only to see that it dropped to 30 students and this is just January o.

This criminal country has swindled especially Nigerian students, because most Asians and even some Africans like Ghanaians come here funded by their governments.

A Nigerian will sell and risk everything to come here even with family, you will take visa fees, health insurance for all the family members without complaining, after collecting everything, you restrict them to work only few hours, no access to so many support and benefits, choke them with racism and start asking them to go back home that they are the problem.

They can’t go, they’re stuck and at the government’s mercy because they cannot even regain the capital that brought them in, if they return, it has to be empty handed and they’ll have to return to nothing and probably start life all over.

It’s not something you just want to jump on and comment without any form of knowledge or emotional intelligence bruv.

Natbrowny:

Exactly.. Na Game plan.. They r using d media to garner more.

Nigerians wey no sabi wetin dey be like

UK is losing already.

UK wey sabi manipulate. Una think say PM made d decision alone.

Na top migrants dem go attract last last
Its a game plan.. Mofos knw what they r doing..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by Emman08: 3:41pm On Jan 12
A son of Indian migrants stopping others from migrating to the same country. Stop people from coming with their families, they take their money elsewhere. Its not too hard to understand. Sunak is a clown

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by Laple0541(m): 3:43pm On Jan 12
They can’t eat their cakes and still have it.

If you know what the embassies of these countries make monthly from prospective travellers, you will be surprised.

May God make our country great. If not for hardship in the land, who likes to leave loved ones behind and be suffering inside temperatures far below freezing point?

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by Gboom: 3:44pm On Jan 12
yahoodetector:

Stop these people from trooping into UK after that have voted for Bulaba and destroyed the country.

I have sent series of emails to the Canadian Diplomatic Missions to tell them of this trend and I am glad that somehow it is paying off and they have started tightening stringent policies in their visa approval.

Your level of intelligence huh e get as e be.
So, it's only those who voted Tinubu that are japaing

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by obaidan: 3:45pm On Jan 12
RepoMan007:
They are trying to attract top quality migrants and not consuming dependents. People who will grow their GDP and not just their population.
They want to attract top quality migrants but they dont mind collecting tuition from the students that are not top quality. The want to eat their cake and still have it. They will need to create some sort of balance, those ones that are not top quality are the ones doing the shit jobs that their own citizens will not do....
Their own citizens will always need emotional support from family, dogs, cats, lizard, frog , to be able to function and do simple tasks. Take that away from them, they are already shouting i am depressed, i have mental health issues, but foreigners should leave their own families behind because u want to give them yeye 2k pounds care job

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by DestinyNigga: 3:47pm On Jan 12
RepoMan007:
They are trying to attract top quality migrants and not consuming dependents. People who will grow their GDP and not just their population.

They should continue with their policy nah. Make dem attract Michael Owen and Joe Biden. Na dem go lose last last 😂😂😂

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by Regex: 3:54pm On Jan 12
Gerrard59:

People who use "there" for "their", "borrow" for "lend" and scream with their smelling mouths open that "Englush no be my papa language" cannot be described as proficient speakers of the English language.

Baba no mind this people. English we speak and learn in school is quite different from what is spoken here and used in learning. When I came to UK I realised that either the British taught us rubbish or as information over time whether formal or informal lose its form and or to an extent value as it gets handed down from generation to generation. Another I am speculating and I have everything to believe given situation of things surrounding us is that we were taught and we refused to learn. That IELTS is a snippets to how English is used here and honestly I do not want them to write it off.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by Kaiser20: 3:57pm On Jan 12
RepoMan007:
You lied! You cannot attract-
Top-quality migrants with visas promise they don't come in large numbers because their countries offer a better quality of everything.
Only 3rd world citizens seek opportunities around the globe.
Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by ogelekpomgam(m): 4:02pm On Jan 12
RepoMan007:
Oga,the income tax here in UK is 20%..if you are earning around 22,000 pounds annually.The higher you earn,the higher the tax.Earn around 40,000 £ per year,na 40% dem go cut for your kpale.
Population is contributing to their income.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by blkmum700: 4:03pm On Jan 12
I said this before: this law cannot survive 3–4 years; they are going to change it. David Cameron did something similar to international students by asking them to leave after studying; the decline in international students forced a policy change.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by jaxxy(m): 4:06pm On Jan 12
Yes it will cos how can u stop a married student from bringing their family while paying so much?
Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by xyrexzmanto: 4:15pm On Jan 12
Also Avoid schools that ask for IELTS / TOEFL

There is nothing like IELTS/TOEFL for Nigerians aiming the U.S. recently.
SoNature:
They won't fall into deficit. I noticed that many of them are lowering their hitherto crazy admission requirements. For instance, many have changed from 2.1 to 2.2 for postgraduate taught studies.

Imagine asking Nigerians to spend over #100k to take IELTS because we want to study in the UK. Meanwhile, those people know that our English language proficiency is topnotch. Many have waived that as well.

As far as African and Asian countries continue to push their peoples out of their continents, they will continue to move to Europe and North America in search of greener pastures through education.

Besides, UK student visa is much easier to get than those of other anglophone countries with enormous employment potential. That's why the UK will continuously attract international students but not like before though.
Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by ukaface(f): 4:16pm On Jan 12
yahoodetector:

Omo
You wicked o
Tufiakwa gi
Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by Yankee101: 4:25pm On Jan 12
This clearly tells you they just want your money
But don’t really want you

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by FireUpNow(m): 4:43pm On Jan 12
Na only through student visa person go take enter UK ni? Other roads dey. If sem like people must japa.
Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by aywagze(m): 4:46pm On Jan 12
No be lie ..make every country carry its cross bikonu ..🤔
Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by Omoluabi16(m): 4:49pm On Jan 12
They love your money, but they don't love you that much.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by Gerrard59(m): 4:50pm On Jan 12
benalvino3:

which proves my point given they are the ones getting the most VISA to enter these countries.

It did not prove anything as you said Indians rarely move with their families. But the stats say Indians take their families only second to Nigerians.

Ednut already proved you wrong. Accept it, you posted a false statement.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by Gerrard59(m): 4:58pm On Jan 12
Regex:

Baba no mind this people. English we speak and learn in school is quite different from what is spoken here and used in learning. When I came to UK I realised that either the British taught us rubbish or as information over time whether formal or informal lose its form and or to an extent value as it gets handed down from generation to generation. Another I am speculating and I have everything to believe given situation of things surrounding us is that we were taught and we refused to learn. That IELTS is a snippets to how English is used here and honestly I do not want them to write it off.

Well, in spoken English, things will be different due to accents. Singaporeans have a different way of speaking. But in written English? Nigerians don't communicate correctly in it. Nigerians are the only ones I have seen use "borrow" instead of "lend". Even an elite like Iyin Aboyeji did it. I was stunned!

Nigerians must write IELTS/TOEFL whether they like it or not.

SoNature:

Nobody knows it all...even Americans make that mistake on social media but they are still considered native English speakers. While English isn't our first language, there are just a few countries in this world that write and speak better English than Nigeria.

Nigeria, in this context, doesn't include the northerners (thank God those ones don't bother leaving the country to further their education). I mean Southern Nigeria, and probably the middle belt. The good thing is that many of their schools are accepting WAEC results now.

I have never read Americans or South Africans or Singaporeans or Ghanaians used "borrow" instead of "lend". If an elite Nigerian like Iyin can use "borrow" rather than "lend", then it is finished. None of those nationalities' elites used "borrow" rather than "lend". None of them also argue stoopidly that "English no be my papa language".

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by TheNewAgeFarmer(m): 5:04pm On Jan 12
What the f are you saying. I can't even comprehend your message.
Regex:

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by grandstar(m): 5:04pm On Jan 12
Why should foreign students bring dependants? It's stupid.

Perhaps, those pursuing doctorate programs can be excused but it makes no sense for other categories.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report by benalvino3: 5:04pm On Jan 12
Gerrard59:

It did not prove anything as you said Indians rarely move with their families. But the stats say Indians take their families only second to Nigerians.

Ednut already proved you wrong. Accept it, you posted a false statement.

you will not understand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See The Bad State Of University Of Abuja Boys Hostel (Graphic Pictures) / Landmark University, Omu Aran Library (Photos) / Lagos School Where Pupils Share Classroom With Animals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.