Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,426 members, 7,819,551 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) (1548 Views)

More Blackout To Hit Nigeria As FG Fails To Meet Up With TCN Workers Demand / Throwback To 1986 'End Police Brutality' Protest In Lagos (Video) / Oluwole Owolabi: You Chased Me Out Of Nigeria Since 1986 Nothing Has Changed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by Biodun556(m): 1:15am On Jan 13
grin

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by Biodun556(m): 1:16am On Jan 13
grin may be before 2086

1 Like

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by Ance4Liverpool: 1:31am On Jan 13
Who said that thing ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by igbarasdynasty: 3:03am On Jan 13
Reversed psychology.

They actually meant, NEPA; expect So Much Black-out after 1986 Deadline

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by LikeAking: 3:26am On Jan 13
Scammers!
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by eepeepook: 4:19am On Jan 13
Those on solar no understand the picture. For me, NEPA na complement.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by Racoon(m): 6:57am On Jan 13
Nigeria nah confirm cruise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by Blackfire(m): 7:01am On Jan 13
Our out is now black
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by zombieHUNTER: 7:20am On Jan 13
That's how it is in the shit hole...

Tinubu is here to bury the shithole

1 Like

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by oz4real83(m): 7:22am On Jan 13
The people who were in power, in that era of darkness when that statement was made, are still the same people either in position of power today, or determine those that will be in power like OBJ, IBB, how will things change? When you keep using the same ingredients and method to cook a particular dish, you will keep getting the same result embarassed

2 Likes

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by donpapa(m): 7:30am On Jan 13
No be today we don dey wyn ourselves for this country 😁

2 Likes

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by tommy589(m): 7:38am On Jan 13
grin
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by Vinnie2000(m): 8:20am On Jan 13
This Country Sha. sad

Looks like a Comedy Series, sometimes. smiley cheesy grin
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by Seunpapa65: 8:23am On Jan 13
eepeepook:
Those on solar no understand the picture. For me, NEPA na complement.
I dey save for my own solar
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by nairalanda1(m): 8:49am On Jan 13
Biodun556:
grin

The problem then is the same problem now.

NEPA was forced to charge non-economic tarrifs. Add the fact that

1.Some people were not paying for power used...illegal connections was a thing.

2.Far too many people were being connected to the national grid . I can recall from the 1980's and 90's how state governments would connect this village to the grid, and it would be celebrated on the national news.

That's why we keep having blackouts.

5 Likes

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by Biodun556(m): 8:54am On Jan 13
nairalanda1:

2.Far too many people were being connected to the national grid . I can recall from the 1980's and 90's how state governments would connect this village to the grid, and it would be celebrated on the national news.

If government is serious they should know they need to increase power generation and distribution as population and settlements increase. That's what advance countries do

1 Like

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by jmoore(m): 9:21am On Jan 13
nairalanda1:

You no dey tire with this propaganda of yours.
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by TOPCRUISE(m): 9:30am On Jan 13
Nigerian government will lie if they want to win the trust of people in Nigeria
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by nairalanda1(m): 9:34am On Jan 13
jmoore:

You no dey tire with this propaganda of yours.

No matter what you think of my comments, it certainly is not propaganda to state that selling at a loss=working at a loss=poor service.

5 Likes

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by nairalanda1(m): 9:35am On Jan 13
Biodun556:

If government is serious they should know they need to increase power generation and distribution as population and settlements increase. That's what advance countries do

Advanced countries also allow their power companies to charge profit making tarrifs, or charge enough in taxes to subsides such services.

5 Likes

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by jmoore(m): 9:40am On Jan 13
nairalanda1:

No matter what you think of my comments, it certainly is not propaganda to state that selling at a loss=working at a loss=poor service.
There is electricity subsidy in Egypt. No blackout in Egypt.

Your propaganda is very weak.

1 Like

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by CheedyJ(m): 9:48am On Jan 13
I'm not a pessimist but going by the country's antecedents then you'd know that nothing will change in another 36 years in fact , it might even get worse unless of course if 'una don ready'.
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by nairalanda1(m): 9:49am On Jan 13
jmoore:

There is electricity subsidy in Egypt. No blackout in Egypt.

Your propaganda is very weak.

The Egyptians removed power subsides over the last 10 years. Since 2016 self.

Oga, I don't get you guys. You want things cheap, without thinking about how the power companies would raise money to fix things, expand services, and pay their workers the type of salary that would not let them japa abroad.

I know people are suffering, but electricity is an expensive thing. Either we pay cost reflective tarrifs, or we stop complaining about power.

And as for Egypt, they earn trillions of naira from tourisim alone, and have a diversified economy. Then there is the Suez canal...which is a confam ATM in its own right. Nigeria, that all your leaders, including APC, never diversify the economy go earn the kin money to subsidise power? Plus Egypt has ended power subsides self.

You cannot sell at a loss, and expect good service. We have sold power at subsidised rate as you said. And as a result we cannot generate 10000 MW. Isn't it time we woke up and changed.

5 Likes

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by Christistruth03: 9:50am On Jan 13
Biodun556:
grin

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Almost 40years ago

Pikin wey dem never born

Don Marry and born pikins

1 Like

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by jmoore(m): 9:56am On Jan 13
nairalanda1:

Oga, I don't get you guys. You want things cheap, without thinking about how the power companies would raise money to fix things, expand services, and pay their workers the type of salary that would not let them japa abroad.

I know people are suffering, but electricity is an expensive thing. Either we pay cost reflective tarrifs, or we stop complaining about power.

And as for Egypt, they earn trillions of naira from tourisim alone, and have a diversified economy. Then there is the Suez canal...which is a confam ATM in its own right. Nigeria, that all your leaders, including APC, never diversify the economy go earn the kin money to subsidise power? Plus Egypt has ended power subsides self.
Stop lying! Power subsidy still exists in Egypt.
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by nairalanda1(m): 10:06am On Jan 13
jmoore:
Stop lying! Power subsidy still exists in Egypt.

1.It doesn't

2.Even if it does, is our economy diversified like Egypt? Is our revenue from tax comparable to Egypt? Do people steal power in Egypt like we do?

3.Oga, you won't run a business at a loss...so why would you want power to be sold at a loss?

If you want a communist country, by all means lead the revolution. But until then, it is a pipe dream to expect to have 24/7 power on a tarrif that is not cost reflective.

I am done here.

1 Like

Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by MadamExcellency: 10:07am On Jan 13
nairalanda1:

And as for Egypt, they earn trillions of naira from tourisim alone, and have a diversified economy. Then there is the Suez canal...which is a confam ATM in its own right. Nigeria, that all your leaders, including APC, never diversify the economy go earn the kin money to subsidise power? Plus Egypt has ended power subsides itself.

You cannot sell at a loss, and expect good service. We have sold power at a subsidised rate as you said. As a result, we cannot generate 10000 MW. Isn't it time we woke up and changed?

Apart from numerous sources of income accruing to the governments. Why collect VAT? Simple, redistribution and social welfare. The money belongs to the people hence some subsidies.

You don't know anything about governance. This is a State in control of a commonwealth, not a private, individualistic business.

Read more books, acquire more experience and consider what comes in and what is wasted.
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by nairalanda1(m): 10:09am On Jan 13
MadamExcellency:

Apart from numerous sources of income accruing to the governments. Why collect VAT? Simple, redistribution and social welfare. The money belongs to the people hence some subsidies.

You don't know anything about governance. This is a State in control of a commonwealth, not a private, individualistic business.

Read more books, acquire more experience and consider what comes in and what is wasted.

LOL...

Power is expensive. And until we charge cost reflective tarrifs, and until stealing of power ends, nothing will change.

There is no free things in Freetown.

I end it here . If you like, keep shouting opperessor and I don't understand. I get it. YOU WANT CHEAP STUFF. That is why we have APC ruling us, they promised cheap stuff. Here we are.

Modifed

Google for the writeup : SOLVING THE LIQUIDITY CRUNCH IN THE POWER SECTOR. Na so you go get am. Note: the bad thing government did to the power sector was to force it to charge low prices, and to force it to give power to people who would not pay for it long term.
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by ZKOSOSO(m): 10:10am On Jan 13
Lambaaa
E don tey wey we don de deceive ourselves
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by NFBI: 10:10am On Jan 13
unserious country from day one
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by Iceberg3: 10:11am On Jan 13
This is where we expect Nigerians and nairalanders to come together and say enough is enough with this decades long torment but no,you won't see nairalanders on threads like this voicing out..but what they love doing is searching for the crinal activities of their perceived enemies in far away India not just to condemn the crime but simply to do their disgusting ethnic profiling and when you speak against such,they are quick to tag you "a supporter" of criminals.
Everyday in Nigeria for decades,we live in darkness and have to put up with with unbearable heat and yet,Nigerians are rather interested in tribalism,what a country.
Re: NEPA: No More Blackout, 1986 Deadline (throwback) by jmoore(m): 10:21am On Jan 13
nairalanda1:

1.It doesn't

2.Even if it does, is our economy diversified like Egypt? Is our revenue from tax comparable to Egypt? Do people steal power in Egypt like we do?

3.Oga, you won't run a business at a loss...so why would you want power to be sold at a loss?

If you want a communist country, by all means lead the revolution. But until then, it is a pipe dream to expect to have 24/7 power on a tarrif that is not cost reflective.

I am done here.
There is nothing like loss when you are being paid by the government to reduce tariff.
Communist? Subsidies exist in USA. USA is a communist country?
All your points are very weak.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do We Still Divide The Country? / War-Torn Ukraine Donates Grains To FG As Nigerians Battle Severe Hunger / MEND Extends Ceasefire By 30 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.