Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,173 members, 7,821,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime (1071 Views)

In Response To OBJ ' S Tweet About Gej Looting Nigeria Out Of The World Map. / Un Diluted Truth About OBJ. And Murtala Mohamed / IBB Never Recanted His Earlier Statement About OBJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by Iyantan: 1:27pm On Sep 17, 2007
To me i think his regime was a faliure angry.
The roads are bad. sad
PHCN is worse angry
Holding of election is not good at all angry i won"t leave here today if i keep on talking about what was bad about OBJ"s regime angry
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by dayokanu(m): 2:05pm On Sep 17, 2007
OBJ's regime to me was terrible thank God we were able to survive it.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by ishmael(m): 2:23pm On Sep 17, 2007
more or else like Abacha's regime. people were killed anyhow.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by denex: 2:24pm On Sep 17, 2007
I personally believe Obasanjo's administration was an absolute success.

We finally have a single exchange rate in Nigeria.

Wages increased by 1,000% what it originally was.

The age-long Bakassi crisis was finally solved without firing a single shot.

The volume of our Stock Exchange grew at about the fastest rate in the world.

Our telecommunications grew by about 6000%.

Wiped away our ever-present National debt from a $30 billion debt to virtually nothing.

Standardized the banking industry to what it is today, banks capital base has increased by 400%.

Ended the war in Liberia and brought the country back to democracy.

Ended the war in Sierra Leone and the country is now back to democracy.

Reversed a Military Coup d'etat in Sao Tome and Principe.

Took Nigeria outer space.

Instituted a solid fight against corruption which is still actively in place.

Our entertainment industry performed and grew exponentially under the Obasanjo administration.

Same administration caused a rise of per capita income from about $300 to $1,500 (400%).

Standardized the Insurance industry.

Built us a Foreign Reserve from nothing to $40 billion (40000000000%)

Federation account which now stands between $9 billion and $12 billion (900000000%).

I could go on forever, but let me allow others contribute.

The last Administration performed Splendidly and I hope this new administration will reach and even possibly surpass the kind of growth and development that the Obasanjo administration achieved.

If Yar'Adua's administration can create and environment where wages will increase by 1000%, foreign reserves by 40000000000%, Federation Account by 9000000000%, Telecommunications by 6000%, per capita income by 400% and Commercial Banks capital base successfully by another 400%, then Nigeria is heaven.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by sexybid(f): 2:33pm On Sep 17, 2007
i hope u aren't forgetting something, what did he do about about the education sector, he brought peace to other countries but pieces to his own country.

you know what if there was peace in these country, and an enabling environment for all his achievement to be felt probably we would have appreciated all his good deeds.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by jaybee3(m): 2:40pm On Sep 17, 2007
I concur with "@denex". Nigeria as a nation moving from decades of under-development/ misuse of power will never be a thing of the past over-nigth. Obj contrary to believe did the little he could do bearing in mind that he ain't no messiah nor was he a God sent. Although little changes like graduates being recruited into well paid jobs (Nigerian Standard) is now not a thing of the past.
Whenever i read d numerous and overly interesting threads on this website as per job vacancies and all, i really do feel encouraged and proud as we the future of our great nation will hopefully be in a better position to be able to hold official (Government) position and in turn drive change as by that time the need to make greed a primary of well being or mean to attain success would have been eradicated.
I know no road is without bumps but I'm still hopefull. All we pray for is that our current president to add/continue the good works (no matter how little it may have been) his predecessor passed on.
Nigeria is and will never be a one man mission. Everyone has to contribute to make it better. Why don't we all start from shouting Gob bless Nigeria once a day!
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by babasin(m): 4:07pm On Sep 17, 2007
a sad waste of time. This is worst you can get.

1. Over 20, 000 Nigeria died of avoidable death

2. Naira lost 20% value

3. Petrol increase by 80%

4 Road was more in terrible state.

5. Refinery went to 20% capacity

6. Power generation went down to 2500MG for a nation of 120million

7. Manufacturing went down to 32% capacity

8. More Nigerians lefts than came back to settle down.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by chidichris(m): 6:33pm On Sep 17, 2007
please let us not talk about obj and pray that yar adua will not be like him
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by presido1: 6:45pm On Sep 17, 2007
most corrupt of them all.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by IG: 9:12pm On Sep 17, 2007
denex:

I personally believe Obasanjo's administration was an absolute success.

Our telecommunications grew by about 6000%.

Wiped away our ever-present National debt from a $30 billion debt to virtually nothing.

Standardized the banking industry to what it is today, banks capital base has increased by 400%.

Same administration caused a rise of per capita income from about $300 to $1,500 (400%).

Built us a Foreign Reserve from nothing to $40 billion (40000000000%)

Federation account which now stands between $9 billion and $12 billion (900000000%).

I could go on forever, but let me allow others contribute.

If Yar'Adua's administration can create and environment where wages will increase by 1000%, foreign reserves by 40000000000%, Federation Account by 9000000000%, Telecommunications by 6000%, per capita income by 400% and Commercial Banks capital base successfully by another 400%, then Nigeria is heaven.

@denex, it seems to me you are really at home with zeroes. All the 900000000% e.t.c grin. I just hope you don't lose track of them yourself.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by denex: 9:44pm On Sep 17, 2007
Don't worry. I have my calculator with me. OBJ has done well. Even if we cannot love him, we should be able to physically assess and enumerate what he has done. The man has done exceedingly well and I hope Yar'Adua can out-perform him.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by ono(m): 10:18pm On Sep 17, 2007
It was during OBJ's tenure that the Amala Politician and God father of Ibadan Politics caused no small uproar at Ibadan. Everything practically grounded to a halt. Anambra state went to God with full speed, when they knew the war against their state was beyond the ordinary. Godfathers were virtually on the prowl making life difficult for the ordinary man on the street. They were like demi gods.

EFCC was used as a ''tool'' to hound every perceived and real ''anti-third termer'' to the dust. Never in the history of this country did any ruler engaged his vice in a show of shame, so bizzare, it made the rounds even in beer parlours and Igbo joints!

Power generation was at it's lowest ebb. We were importing fuel like crazy. OBJ delighted in implementing harsh, economic policies, which ordinarily we know should be implemented in phases. He was ''cruel'' with his good intentions.

The rich kept on making more money and the poor, getting poorer. It was during OBJ's tenure that the Apo legislative quarters, the refineries in Portharcourt and Kaduna, the National stadium in Lagos, the IGP quarters in Abuja, NITEL, Nicon Hilton hotel, NICON insurance, 1004 Estate and other FG buildings in Lagos were sold to cronies of the ruling PDP. His privatisation programme was fraught with irregularities and favouritism.

Andy UBA stole with impunity. OBJ single handedly put his children in strategic positions to milk the country dry. He bought a mansion for his son in New York. His was an era of ''loyalty without thinking twice''.

Nigeria never had it so bad. We all heaved a sigh of relief when he was pulled out of Aso villa, which reliable info claimed he wanted for himself.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by Nobody: 12:02am On Sep 18, 2007
the sum total of OBJ's eight year-tenure in government= FAILURE.

The one achievement ascribable to him, which only came in the dying minutes of his kleptocracy, is that he kept Nigeria out of the filthy hands of the old-guard, the thieving political class- ATIKU, IBB, Odili, James Ibori, Igbinedion et al. But then we shouldn't forget that many of these thieves owed their ascendancy/ continued political relevance to him anyway.

All these corrupt individuals should be in jail right now, if only Obasanjo had the courage of his convictions, also if the Otta farmer himself had been able to keep his own grubby hands out of the national till.

All the so-called achievements- foreign reserve, debt write-off, bank reforms etc, they are direct, near-automatic consequences of our transition from repressive military regime to a democratic dispensation. The most basic elements of a progressive society (namely security of life & property, good infrastructure and the rule-of-law) were lacking throughout his tenure. The ugly old man in fact took special delight in disobeying the courts and trampling the rights of the citizens.

Give us those three most basic elements of a truly democratic society, and the private citizens can achieve almost every other thing through their own honest hardwork.

Lets wait and see if Yar'Adua will implement Police and electoral reforms. That will show us whether he's actually on the side of the common man, or he's just another member of the perfidious political elite.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by tkb417(m): 5:51pm On Sep 18, 2007
OBJ's regime to me was terrible thank God we were able to survive it

He happened to be the best president that has ruled us. But, meeen, i hated his guts. Too arrogant and too full of himself. He was too crass man. He also was corrupt and did some selective trial of some people.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by BigB11(m): 6:40pm On Sep 18, 2007
The only successful story one could associate with OBJ's regime is the incredible implementation of telecommunication; and it is clear that he wasn't responsible for the attainment.

We all know who was and still behind the successful development of telecommunication infrastructure in Nigeria.

Hence, OBJ's regime deserves absolutely no KUDOS.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by ssRhino: 2:46am On Sep 19, 2007
Total mess, disgrace, waste of money, time and lifes, nothing to shgow for it and so sad.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by Abduwaye: 11:49am On Sep 19, 2007
Obasanjo's regime was a hell. I really thank God that he left. Useless old monkey.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by husu(m): 5:24pm On Sep 19, 2007
The telecomms reforms was done by Abacha just b/4 his death not Obasanjo,He tried by bringing people like soludo,dora,onyuike and others.Removing atiku and odili is a very good thing for naija.But just know that Nigeria is a very sturborn country to control.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by BigB11(m): 6:05pm On Sep 19, 2007
Could you please introduce how Abacha reformed telecomms?
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by denex: 6:37pm On Sep 19, 2007
Abacha was considering doing something in the telecomms industry before he died.

In fact, how it happened was that Abacha himself was the one who introduced laws via restricted the telecomms industry more than ever during the beginning of his tenure. He outlawed Call Centres and did some crazy stuff. The PTOs or those who wanted to set up Private Telecommunications Companies, especially mobile, continued appealing to him till some months before his death, he made them some promises.

Knowing Abacha, he may well have not implemented anything when the time came.

A man that felt that young men gathering together for some evening gist is enough to topple a government, is it the same man you want to allow 30 million mobile phones?

I don't think so.
Re: What Do U Think About Obj"s Regime by ola4u: 3:13pm On Sep 20, 2007
Obasanjo, Baba Iyabo, Baba Olugbenga, OWU Baba, etc

Hunnnnnn, If he had applied the gift and Grace God gave to him positively. He would have taken Nigeria to a higher ground.

Gift: Followed what he believe in to a Logical conclusion - Negative application.

Grace: Like Joseph in the Bible - He came out from prison to become King and save / delivered his people etc, Like: Mandela of South Africa - He also did his best but , Sugbon Obasanjo, it was 8 years of failure ,

Forget about cosmetics performaces , He actually failed W.O.E woefully.

(1) (Reply)

When Will Insults/tribalism End In Nairaland / New Nigerian Iron Lady Comes On Stream / World Bank Slams Nigerian Banks Over Poor Lending To Real Sector

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.