Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,975 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? (2414 Views)

This Is How Fresh Crayfish Is Been Dried Before Consumption (pictures/video) / Sharing Of Ice-cream: How Many Did This When They Were Younger? (photo) / #jaracrayfish! Crayfish Is Nutritious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by TheFacelessMan: 8:14pm On Jan 14
Shellfish allergy... : undecided
Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by Olawade24: 8:43pm On Jan 14
JoshTim:
The best way to enjoy shrimps is when its freshly gotten from the sea and used to cook banga. Chai, you will be singing.
wei wo kwo urhobo. Gbako fa!!! grin
Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by etrange: 3:46am On Jan 15
Mcreloaded:
The proper and right name for crayfish is Krill fish.
Surprised nobody mentioned krill fish which is the actual name for the crayfish we know.

I fact the name cray fish was coined from the real name krill fish by we Nigerians.
Google is your friend

No, sir. I'm sure your intention is to educate others, but your submission is wrong. Krill fish is very different from crayfish (also known as crawfish or crawdads here in North America). You're right, what we eat in Nigeria are krill fish and shrimps (the larger dark brown ones with less segmented body). And like somehow has already mentioned, you sometimes see prawns and even tiny crabs in the bag. What you will never see in there is the actual crayfish (the reason I'd below). Krill fish looks like small shrimps while crayfish looks more like small lobsters (that is, they also have pincers). However, they are very different and do not even look alike at all. Most importantly, Nigerians did not come up with the name, crayfish.

Fun fact 1: Because these crustacean taste alike and have similar nutritional values, people don't go the extra length of separating them by type when captured. Instead, they are separated by size. This is why you see krills and small shrimps together.

Fun fact 2: We do not have crayfish in African waters. This is the reason you don't see it amongst other crustaceans we buy together.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by etrange: 3:49am On Jan 15
HardMirror:
yeah, I understand this. That is why I am asking, "if we don't eat crayfish (it is not popular in Nigeria) why do we call all these crustaceans crayfish? "

Crayfish do not live in African waters, but they're eaten in countries where English is spoken as a first language. So we just say what they say without paying attention to the fact that what we have are krill fish and small shrimps.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by Mcreloaded(m): 6:22am On Jan 15
etrange:

No, sir. I'm sure your intention is to educate others, but your submission is wrong. Krill fish is very different from crayfish (also known as crawfish or crawdads here in North America). You're right, what we eat in Nigeria are krill fish and shrimps (the larger dark brown ones with less segmented body). And like somehow has already mentioned, you sometimes see prawns and even tiny crabs in the bag. What you will never see in there is the actual crayfish (the reason I'd below). Krill fish looks like small shrimps while crayfish looks more like small lobsters (that is, they also have pincers). However, they are very different and do not even look alike at all. Most importantly, Nigerians did not come up with the name, crayfish.

Fun fact 1: Because these crustacean taste alike and have similar nutritional values, people don't go the extra length of separating them by type when captured. Instead, they are separated by size. This is why you see krills and small shrimps together.

Fun fact 2: We do not have crayfish in African waters. This is the reason you don't see it amongst other crustaceans we buy together.

Hmnn thanks man. Something appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by HardMirror(m): 7:36am On Jan 15
etrange:

Crayfish do live in African waters, but they're eaten in countries where English is spoken as a first language. So we just say what they say without paying attention to the fact that what we have are krill fish and small shrimps.
my dad has a fish farm we use krill to feed the fingerlines. Nigerians don't eat krill, they are very tiny. The origin of the word is not from krill. Crayfish exists so we must have learned that word from colonial masters.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by HardMirror(m): 7:38am On Jan 15
etrange:

stop confusing people. You obviously have not seen krill before. Ask those who breed fingerings to show you what krill is. The origin of the word crayfish is not from krill.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by etrange: 2:13pm On Jan 15
HardMirror:
my dad has a fish farm we use krill to feed the fingerlines. Nigerians don't eat krill, they are very tiny. The origin of the word is not from krill. Crayfish exists so we must have learned that word from colonial masters.
HardMirror:
stop confusing people. You obviously have not seen krill before. Ask those who breed fingerings to show you what krill is. The origin of the word crayfish is not from krill.

Dude, what are you saying? I never said the origin of the word crayfish is krill fish. I explicitly corrected the person that said that by stating that they are very different. I even pointed out the physical differences. So what are you on about?

And yes, Nigerians eat krill, prawns, shrimps and crabs. What they do not eat is crayfish, and that is because crayfish are not found in African waters.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by HardMirror(m): 4:22pm On Jan 15
etrange:

Dude, what are you saying? I never said the origin of the word crayfish is krill fish. I explicitly corrected the person that said that by stating that they are very different. I even pointed out the physical differences. So what are you on about?

And yes, Nigerians eat krill, prawns, shrimps and crabs. What they do not eat is crayfish, and that is because crayfish are not found in African waters.
show me a Nigerian dish made of krill
Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by etrange: 6:07pm On Jan 15
HardMirror:
show me a Nigerian dish made of krill

I'm telling you that the so-called crayfish you eat in Nigeria contains krills, shrimps, small crabs and small prawns. It does not have crayfish in it at all because you cannot find crayfish in Africa, and crayfish look very different from the aforementioned crustaceans. This aside, there are Nigerian food products that has krills in them. Examples include Siam curry paste for cooking. We even have krill oil as a source of Omega 3 all over the country. So I don't know where you got the idea that Nigerians don't eat krills. You probably saw a fresh krill and you have no idea what it looks like when smoked.

Below is an image of smoked krill for reference. They look almost transparent when fresh but light brown when smoked.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by HardMirror(m): 6:35pm On Jan 15
etrange:

I'm telling you that the so-called crayfish you eat in Nigeria contains krills, shrimps, small crabs and small prawns. It does not have crayfish in it at all because you cannot find crayfish in Africa, and crayfish look very different from the aforementioned crustaceans. This aside, there are Nigerian food products that has krills in them. Examples include Siam curry paste for cooking. We even have krill oil as a source of Omega 3 all over the country. So I don't know where you got the idea that Nigerians don't eat krills. You probably saw a fresh krill and you have no idea what it looks like when smoked.

Below is an image of smoked krill for reference. They look almost transparent when fresh but light brown when smoked.
ok. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by Mom007(f): 8:54pm On Jan 16
What we call crayfish are actually called krill

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by HardMirror(m): 7:55am On Jan 17
Mom007:
What we call crayfish are actually called krill
thanks. You may be right
Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by HardMirror(m): 7:56am On Jan 17
etrange:

I did more digging and I think you are right. Thanks for your input
Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by AlphaJazz: 7:14pm On Feb 02
HardMirror:
Look at them side by side.
First are prawns, then shrimps then crayfish
Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by AlphaJazz: 7:19pm On Feb 02
etrange:

Insightful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by AlphaJazz: 7:20pm On Feb 02
etrange:

Re: Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? by AlphaJazz: 7:22pm On Feb 02
etrange:

Nice insights.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Remember This Local Sweet / Guinea Corn And Beans Meal / Foods That Fight Wrinkles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.