Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane (19389 Views)

Exchange Rates In Official And Parallel Markets Converge / Bismarck Rewane: Naira Redesign May Cause GDP Fall But Not Increased Inflation / Bismarck Rewane Claims Naira Overvalued By 200%, Begs CBN To Set Currency Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by FreeStuffsNG: 9:33pm On Jan 17
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Financial Derivatives Company (FDC), Bismarck Rewane, said the naira is currently under-valued at both the Nigerian Autonomous Foreign Exchange Market (NAFEM) and the parallel forex markets.

Rewane stated this on Tuesday in a keynote address at the 2024 Economic Outlook and Budget Analysis organised by the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) with the theme, “Building Economic Resilience in 2024: Strategies for a Sustainable Future.”

His words, “The naira is undervalued by 33.58 percent at the parallel market rate of N1,285 per dollar and 4.16 percent at the NAFEM rate of N890.54 percent.”

Specifically, he noted that the purchasing power parity (PPP) value of the Naira in January was N853.46 per dollar, while the parallel market price was N1,285, indicating an undervaluation of 33.58 percent, and the NAFEM price was N890.54 per dollar, showing a 4.16 percent undervaluation.

He predicted that Nigeria is primed for 3.3 percent growth in 2024 and projected an increase in the minimum wage for workers from N30,000 to N50,000 per month.

Rewane asserted that the main macroeconomic challenges facing the country include suboptimal and non-inclusive growth, increasing income inequality, high poverty, and a high unemployment rate.

Others, he noted, were spiraling inflation, widening fiscal imbalances, and currency pressures.

On the way forward, he said that the government needs to focus on policy changes that will steer Nigeria towards economic resilience in 2024.

According to him, the imperative policy changes include debt rescheduling, increasing interest rates, a more efficient money supply, and an efficient foreign exchange market.

Others are cost-reflective electricity tariffs, reductions in petrol subsidy, and wage reviews.

He said the economy could only get better if there is increased spending on infrastructure development, adding that deficit spending has yet to yield the intended impact on the economy.

Rewane stated: “Key fiscal policy objectives would be to stimulate growth output, boost employment level, ensure equitable distribution of income and wealth, boost investment levels, and debt management.

“Major opportunities for policy changes include exchange rate sanitisation, which would lead to reduction in export smuggling, boost in global commodity supply, lower food prices.

“Opportunities for policy changes in increased tax rate and efficient tax collection would lead to boost in state government revenue, paid contractors and increased demand for cement and other commodities.

“Nigeria will also need to come to terms with its domestic and external debt situation and is expected to begin talks with the IMF and reschedule its external debt.”

He, however, cautioned that policy reforms without institutional modifications would exacerbate the situation.

Earlier in his welcome address, LCCI President, Mr Gabriel Idahosa, said policy reforms by the government, especially the removal of fuel subsidies and floating of the exchange rate, are expected to boost fiscal revenue and contribute moderately to the improvement of the country’s growth this year.

Also speaking at the event, Director General, Budget Office, Ben Akabueze, said one of the challenges facing the nation is that of low public revenue against a growing population.

He said Nigeria has had over three decades of deficit budget.

He shut down the opinion of some analysts that the country needs to spend less, arguing that what the nation needs to do is to spend efficiently and not less.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/01/naira-under-valued-in-official-parallel-forex-markets-rewane/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by FreeStuffsNG: 9:33pm On Jan 17
His words, “The naira is undervalued by 33.58 percent at the parallel market rate of N1,285 per dollar and 4.16 percent at the NAFEM rate of N890.54 percent.”

He shut down the opinion of some analysts that the country needs to spend less, arguing that what the nation needs to do is to spend efficiently and not less.

Brilliant economic analysis by Mr Bismarck Rewane that many will still fail or struggle to comprehend. Smh.

Keep your naira! Naira is currently undervalued. If you exchange your naira for a USD, you are actually exchanging your wealth for poverty by overpaying for the overvalued US dollar.

Expect a boon in the economy and a massive leap in our national aggregate output. Subsidy removal alone will fetch us about N4 Trillion while free float of the naira fetches Nigeria another N4 trillion, this total N8 trillion would have been converted to US dollars and exported overseas but for the brilliant and patriotic leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by hisexcellency34: 9:33pm On Jan 17
All these nonsense analysts. Buhari invited this man but he couldn't do anything. Tinubu has invited another analyst Tope Fasua but naira keeps falling

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by ClearFlair: 9:35pm On Jan 17
Nice try
Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by ClearFlair: 9:36pm On Jan 17
FreeStuffsNG:

Okay. Spend it all on hotels

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by mrvitalis(m): 9:43pm On Jan 17
I don't know what metrics he is using but for me naira is over valued at 1300

If I were president I would devalue to #1700 then aggressively defend it there as I would have the liquidity to do so

Key thing is we need to identify key areas we have global comparative advantage.. ( what we can produce cheaper than most part of the world or what we have the potential to produce cheaper than most of the world) and heavily provide credit facility to this sectors

Driving export, increasing for example earnings

If we remove the subsidy on electricity and invest 700bn as loans to bank at 3% interest rate to be given to only players in the cassavacassava/ sweet potato to ethanol industry... I believe we can catapult that industry to a multi billion dollars industry creating millions of jobs and getting our investment in 10 years max

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by Donaldoni: 9:49pm On Jan 17
Sure

Naira is still valuable here

You can still buy stuff for NGN50

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by FreeStuffsNG: 9:50pm On Jan 17
mrvitalis:

If I were president I would devalue to #1700 then aggressively defend it there as I would have the liquidity to do so

Key thing is we need to identify key areas we have global comparative advantage.. ( what we can produce cheaper than most part of the world or what we have the potential to produce cheaper than most of the world) and heavily provide credit facility to this sectors

If we remove the subsidy on electricity and invest 700bn as loans to bank at 3% interest rate to be given to only players in the cassavacassava/ sweet potato to ethanol industry... I believe we can catapult that industry to a multi billion dollars industry creating millions of jobs and getting our investment in 10 years max
Since you made it about your own view against his expert view with the @bolded, please which school of study did you attend? What did you study? What data do you have to counter the empirical and factual analysis by the renowned Economist, Mr Bismarck Rewane?

While it's not impossible to challenge the expert opinion of Rewane, It will be more rewarding to everyone reading your comment if you provide your own contrary views intellectually to counter him.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by money121(m): 10:05pm On Jan 17
Wahala
Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by RingRoadCartel: 10:06pm On Jan 17
What this APC guy does is.. he brings some potentially controversial threads here and makes sure to comment first in order to control the discourse. He's doing it before another person will do it so that people don't get to express their views freely without first corrupting them with his own.

Notice how he didn't mention where he got those stats he was just pulling out of his ass? Notice how he said that we will save trillions in naira, but declined to mention how his oga uses billions of our money to buy dollars that he will use in lodging in luxury hotels + other miscellaneous? Its only you and I that are told to make sacrifices, no part of Tinubus governments involvement in that sacrifice was mentioned.

When you see the way he throws around numbers, you'd think that that is actually how it'll play out. What Nigerians should understand is that spin doctors are just that. They're not economists. Their job is to control public perception. They know they're quoting jargons, but if you know the truth, they won't get paid. They get paid to convince you that you're privileged to suffer.

93 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by shiki(m): 10:06pm On Jan 17
Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by salbis(m): 10:06pm On Jan 17
Make una continue to dey speak grammar while naira continue the free fall.

25 Likes

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by GboyegaD(m): 10:07pm On Jan 17
Can the government just allow the naira flow itself irrespective of the induatry and not try control the rate? Yes, naira will fall more however, it will help know its actual value and we can take it up from there.

1 Like

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by TrumpDonald2: 10:07pm On Jan 17
FreestuffNG or whatever you call yourself here. Ever since this administration, you have been posting statistics. I want to ask you and your Oga 'na statistics we go chop'?

Now it's no longer statistics, it's now expert opinion. When the naira and dollar are now trading freely? So who is under valuing it? You and your Oga are both cluesless and cornfused.

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:08pm On Jan 17
Is this guy a government appointee or what? I don't really understand his post

33 Likes

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by Artscollection: 10:08pm On Jan 17
Maybe it is under attack.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by LegendHero(m): 10:08pm On Jan 17
mrvitalis:

If I am the president, I will devalue it to #5000. And if anyone complain, I will vex devalue it to like #120,000. Do you see how that sound?

Lets say we recatapault all our money to cassava by devaluing naira more and removing electricity subsidy and etc. can you tell me the resultant effect on other sectors of the economy?

It will be disastrous because you will be massively increasing inflation all because you want to mass produce cassava in 10 years. Na petrol subsidy we still dey battle, remove electricity tariff and that will cause more misfortune to the people.

In a country with crazy amount of Saboteurs. Even that your cassava you are planting will end up like the rice failure that happened when those farmers collected the money to be marrying wives. Now see where we are with respect to rice after all the billions that was invested.

Nigeria problem is not usually about the textbook definition. Economics in Nigeria has a lot of external factors that keep rearing their heads.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by U09ce: 10:08pm On Jan 17
Ss
Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by KEVIND: 10:09pm On Jan 17
Video of how the girl who claimed to be TB Joshua's daughter was found on the street opposite the Synagogue church of All Nations.

Watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioUfx94SXiQ?si=zDdzTJBuAsbH0yNOo

https://www.nairaland.com/7973300/videos-how-girl-ajoke-found
Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by omowolewa: 10:09pm On Jan 17
So what happened to forces of demand and supplies. If Government tries keep Exchange rate at a ceiling opportunist would take undue advantage of the window

Trade and Speculation drives the values. By trade, I will agree with Rwane but by speculations, I will not agree.

Average Nigerian want to save in foreign currencies, the rich has families abroad who would need forex soon. Your prove of fund is demanded in forex, so saving in Naira is not an option.

To improve Forex liquidity, FG kept borrowing but this got to wrong hands who either kept it safe in private vaults or ship it back to country of origin for save keep. This achieved no production or returns, we w
still have to pay with Naira. Kill corruption

We have booming music industry, how many musicians has our embassies got shows for.

We have countries exporting to Nigeria, how many have nigerian embassies in their countries of origin did convince to bring plants to Nigeria.

We flaring gas away, how best have we captured it and pipe it to African countries using under water pipeline.

Do you know how much Nigerian used to subscribe on Software, who has approached the big fintech to establish in Nigeria with little repatriation options but reinvestments.. Make business easier

#SavetheNGNfall

6 Likes

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by Adebaba1(m): 10:09pm On Jan 17
i don't understand
can someone please explain
Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by GRACEGLORY: 10:11pm On Jan 17
Una don even kill the Naira ma sef.

Even though with its advantages, to increase exports and decrease imports, this devaluation lowers productivity as the fuel price is high.

1 Like

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by Toosure70: 10:11pm On Jan 17
🍀Die if you like, the Dollar will keep rising against the Naira!!!🍀

1. Appreciation and Depreciation of Currency is not related to race or color. It isn't who is the President either; be he Hausa, Igbo or Yoruba. It is basically about the production of goods and Services and the demand of your products in the World market. A confused Country that produces almost next to nothing will never meet up. Policies only control your Currency, not the value of other Countries' Currencies against yours.

2. A Country where over 500 Industries died within 30 years must be Stupid to complain of Depreciation of her Currency. We keep killing local industries and expect policies to make it up, it's a joke sir. Don't use China as an example of depreciating Currencies and strong economy. China produces and may attract more export with that strategy, unlike Nigeria that produces nothing.

3. A Country where someone made away with $2+billion simply to be shared, is already a doomed one in terms of monetary policy and value. A Country that produces a Dizeani and a Bafarawa, who spent billions to appease Demons. Those money without economic value is an economic waste and poison injected into the system.

4. A Country that favours importation over local production is doomed because it creates employment for other Countries while sacking her own Citizens. Some people are working in Michelin and Dunlop somewhere, yet we use the tyre here. Don't tell me about the principle of comparative advantage here; it's not applicable.

5. A Country that exports all raw materials without adding value to them, is shameless to talk of depreciation of her Currency, and will later re-import finished products of those materials, is the peak of daftness. A bag of Cocoa will go for, like N1million Naira, but when it is processed, its worth is around N7million. Even farmers who produced the raw Cocoa can't buy the end product... Chocolate!!

6. A Country that deliberately operates a banking system that gives loans to importers at the expense of local industries, is doomed and should say nothing about depreciation. Most of the loans are given to Senators and Representatives not industrialists.

7. A Country that gives loans in billions to the agric sector without monitoring & evaluation of such loan on how it gets to the real farmers, is a Sham. A guy collected over N2 billion agric loan, he bought a Jeep, built a nice house and used the rest to import processed Pork. Meanwhile, local Pork Farmers are dying here. Is that not double tragedy, stressing Forex and at the same time killing local industries.?

8. A Country that spends more on few privileged politicians at the cost of the populace who are unemployed, should not talk about money depreciation. A Country that keeps paying NNPC Staff N10 billion as Salaries every month, when a single drop of Petroleum Products was not processed, should shut up about depreciation of Currency. The only value-added product to the system is rising Crime and Criminality!!

9. A Country where it is difficult for investors to register businesses because of the demand for bribes by governent officials. Right from the Airport to the Hotel; to the Ministers and to Governors, investors will bribe. All these are part of cost of investment. A friend brought an investor on Estate Development just for the State Commissioner for Lands to demand 30% of the investment! To see the Governor in a State will cost you N2 million as bribe before you can be scheduled. This is a State as poor as anything.

10. A Country where the cost of travelling for treatment abroad by government officials will build World Class Hospitals, should not talk about Naira against Dollar parity. Money taken on that trip is part of stress on forex. Same as forex spent on Pilgrimage. Let religion fanatics keep off me here. Without going to Mecca or Jerusalem, you can still make heaven. Yes! You waste forex on Pilgrimage and later talk rubbish about forex. Pilgrims get Dollars for N160 while industries get it for N350! Is that not Crazy ?

11. A Country where a
few people have access to Federal Reserves and those few can get loans, not because of what they can produce but the connection they have... Is that Country not doomed already?

12. A Country where we import what we produce because it's "Cheaper" to do so, is doomed.

13. A Country that has Arable land and teeming idle youths but still complains of hunger, should not talk about Currency depreciation. It's not only annoying but nauseating.

14. A Country where free money flows can never control inflow and outflow of Forex. Imagine someone who wants to hide his loot went to "Aboki", the Forex dealer, to buy Dollars worth $50 million just to hide it in the basement of his house. That money has no economic value, yet it deprived those companies that needed it to import raw material. The same Companies go to "Aboki" to buy the hard Currency at exorbitant price.

15. A Country where a strong Bank owner can influence Shares from within the Stock Exchange floor to inflate their Shares' worth from N20 to N150, crash the same Share to N30 and ready to buy it back at N28, all within a year. Forget it, the Currency will never appreciate in such an economy.

16. A Country where Banks are involved in round- tripping and inflated cost to siphon money, is doomed. A Company wants to import Caterpillar worth $50,000. A Bank made the forex for such import $550,000. Meanwhile no Caterpillar was imported at last, yet the money faded into private accounts. Who strained the Forex exchange rate in that case?

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by Artscollection: 10:11pm On Jan 17
FreeStuffsNG:

Brilliant economic analysis many will still struggle to comprehend. Smh.

Keep your naira! Naira is currently undervalued. If you exchange your naira for a USD, you are actually exchanging your wealth for poverty by overpaying for the overvalued US dollar.

Expect a boon in the economy and a massive leap in our national aggregate output. Subsidy removal alone will fetch us about N4 Trillion while free float of the naira fetches Nigeria another N4 trillion, this total N8 trillion would have been converted to US dollars and exported overseas but for the brilliant and patriotic leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

It is obvious you Exchanged your brain for ordinary agbado

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by ATEAMS: 10:12pm On Jan 17
Indeed
Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by DMerciful(m): 10:12pm On Jan 17
Na statistics we go chop - Yekini Amoda Ogunlere (Lamidi Amoda Sangodele)

7 Likes

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by Artscollection: 10:12pm On Jan 17
FreeStuffsNG:

Brilliant economic analysis many will still struggle to comprehend. Smh.

Oya mugu go and read what suretool posted.

9 Likes

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by Luvinghubby: 10:14pm On Jan 17
Rewane made some good points but he forgot that former President Buhari already borrowed money in-advance for crude oil we haven't even produced yet.

FG is not making enough forex from crude oil export due to Buhari's debt, so they are forced to borrow which in turn makes the Naira weak.

6 Likes

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by DeBruno1: 10:15pm On Jan 17
Am expecting 1500/$

5 Likes

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by tommy589(m): 10:15pm On Jan 17
How did we survived COVID?
How did we survived CASHLESS?

If we experience the trade embargo Cuba experienced,how are we going to survive?

We should.develop home grown economics,this textbook approach won't give naira is true value

1 Like

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by xukwaa: 10:16pm On Jan 17
This guy ja werey with two mouths!

2 Likes

Re: Naira Under-valued In Official, Parallel Forex Markets – Bismarck Rewane by mrvitalis(m): 10:17pm On Jan 17
FreeStuffsNG:

Since you made it about your own view against his expert view with the @bolded, please which school did you study? What did you study? What data do you have to counter the empirical and factual analysis by the renowned Economist, Mr Bismarck Rewane?

While it's not impossible to challenge the expert opinion of Rewane, It will be more rewarding to everyone reading your comment if you provide your own contrary views intellectually to counter him.
Anyone can claim aby qualifications on a Faceless forum... So I won't bother

Her analysis were based on government provided data

Taking into consideration the rampant printing of naira from thin air, reduced earnings

You can plot the graph easily and extrapolate my figure it's not hard

But it's an opinion n that's it can ever be

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Uba Introduces Simplified Process For Bvn Registration / Naira Slumps Further, Exchanges For 473/$ / Jimoh Ibrahim Diverted N35bn Aviation Fund To Ghana – Senate C’ttee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.