Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,548 members, 7,816,334 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) (13239 Views)

Islam Endangered If Taraba, Nasarawa Fall To Non-Muslim Governors – Sheik Sokoto / Tin-Can Customs Records 110.8% Growth In Non Oil Export / NDLEA Arrest Drug Kingpin, 5 Others, Seize 6,000kg Of Drugs In Lagos Island (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Blogsphere: 9:25am On Jan 18
Customs records 12 Convictions for over 20,000kg of Endangered Species intercepted in 3yrs

The Special Wildlife Office of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), on Tuesday, disclosed that it has intercepted about 20,000 kilograms of illegal wildlife products and live specimens on the verge of being smuggled out of the country by criminals in the last 3years

Speaking at the second edition of the Cooperation meeting between the service and the Wildlife Justice Commission, the Officer in charge, NCS Special Wildlife Office, Abimbola Isafiade, stated that her office has so far secured 12 convictions on illegal wildlife cases and still counting

According to Abim, as she is fondly called, before now, the service recorded no prosecution on the arrest of Illegal Wildlife cases. However, since the creation of the office, Nigeria has taken center stage in the fight against wildlife crime and trafficking of endangered species.

She said, "In kilograms, we have seized about 20,000 kilograms of illegal wildlife products with live endangered species, and it is not just about the arrest but the fact that we are going ahead to prosecute these cases and have 12 convictions within three years with many cases pending before the court. From zero to 12 is remarkable and the best step in the right direction. Before 2021, we had zero convictions on Wildlife trafficking from Nigeria, but now, we have 12, which is commendable!

"It's a major shift, based on the commitment by NCS in developing the capacity of its officers. It is a huge investment which is yielding these visible results". And it shows that we are committed to the global cause. Hence, we are collaborating with other agencies in this fight because no agency can do it alone. Without all these efforts, we probably won't be here talking about achievements today. So it is a huge success," for which NCS, particularly the management and prosecutors, should be commended

She further stated that apart from the 12 convictions recorded, there are a series of ongoing court cases awaiting final judgment

"As of today, apart from the 12 convictions, we have a series of ongoing court cases. I'm sure we would secure convictions with stiffer penalties, with the Nigeria Customs Service Act and inclusion of financial crime investigation in NCS Illegal Wildlife cases, she said.

Also speaking on the Partnership with NCS, the Attachee of the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), Brian Geourgous, reiterated that the US government supports and pledges its commitment to Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) through training, provision of equipment, and other areas of needs to fight Wildlife Crime.

"Well, the U.S. government will focus on assisting Nigeria Customs Service the best way we can in some of these border areas that may be porous and may be seeing an influx of wildlife-related products undeclared.

"I think that the Nigeria Customs Service is doing a great job. We're here to assist and to implement some training and some other areas where we feel we may be able to help NCS do a little bit better. Over the last several years, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has made great strides in international investigations, which is one of the reasons that I'm here. And that's an area where we can assist Nigeria Customs Service," he stated.

He, however, commended the service for their effort in combatting wildlife smuggling, thereby calling for improvement in strategies.

Right now, we are going to start implementing some of the strategies that you and I have talked about. We are at the point now where we will stop talking so much and start doing more.

Like any agency around the world, whether in Nigeria or the United States of America, we have to adapt and change with the criminal elements. They change, and we also need to change. So, as government agents, we need to learn and adapt to overcome, and that's part of the reason that I am here to assist," he stated.a

https://blueprint.ng/in-3-yr-customs-records-12-convictions-for-over-20000kg-of-endangered-species-intercepted/#:~:text=Blueprint%20Newspapers%20Limited-,In%203%2Dyr%2C%20Customs%20records%2012%20convictions%20for%20over%2020%2C000,kg%20of%20endangered%20species%20intercepted&text=According%20to%20Abim%2C%20as%20she,arrest%20of%20Illegal%20Wildlife%20cases.

1 Like

Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Ozommadu: 9:51am On Jan 18
Custom and immigration cheesy

Just talk say dem no gree roger...if you know you know

11 Likes

Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by slaawomirr: 10:14am On Jan 18
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Yugoslavia247(m): 10:14am On Jan 18
Leave the species. But in the country we kill Dem without pity.

So who is deceiving who.

1 Like

Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by B3sty(m): 10:16am On Jan 18
OK
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by SIXFEETUNDER: 10:16am On Jan 18
Udonminit

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Manisahealer: 10:17am On Jan 18
Reach out to me for permanet cure for weak erection, quick ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, Watery and low Sperm Count and improvement of your girth with the number on my signature.

If after one week you do not get your desired result you are free to report my bank and post my details online.

Its 100 percent herbal and 90 percent bitter kola made without any side effects.

1 Like

Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Cj4charles(m): 10:18am On Jan 18
cool
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by ATEAMS: 10:19am On Jan 18
Lot of hustle dey this country o
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Blogsphere: 10:21am On Jan 18
more photos:

Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by callmevirus(m): 10:21am On Jan 18
Nothing concern me but E dey mind
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by johnjay4u2u(m): 10:23am On Jan 18
Funny how we operate without transparency.

Every sector of the country seems corrupted.
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by money121(m): 10:25am On Jan 18
Ok
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Donaldoni: 10:25am On Jan 18
Weldone
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Hamburgfinest(m): 10:27am On Jan 18
Custom please allow them go…Them too wan Japaaa.
The jungle is dry they need good life….

Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by OgideAgu: 10:27am On Jan 18
Good one

1 Like

Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Judolisco(m): 10:27am On Jan 18
See as all dem head fat... Money de custom
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by DesChyko: 10:31am On Jan 18
The confiscated wildlife paraphernalia don't have names or pictures? angry

Going by that ape picture I've seen on a number of news articles, these Customs people are just trying to feel among.
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Jovi10: 10:35am On Jan 18
What of the ones entering pot of pepper soup everyday nko?

Nigerians need orientation regarding wildlife but what can I say when theres hunger in the land.
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Skillsnigeria: 10:41am On Jan 18
Hmmm
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Originalsly: 10:43am On Jan 18
Hmmm ..... Special Wildlife Office .... the one in charge has a pet name " that she's fondly called". Really? To her it is commendable to have 12 arrests in 3 years ..... but no case has reached to court as yet .... hoping to get 12 convictions. 20 000 kilos of wildlife products with live wildlife specimen. What does that mean?.. can anyone explain? She needs to be kicked out of that position or .... the office scrapped.

Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Seunpapa65: 10:46am On Jan 18
Talk true una settle abi una no settle wink grin cheesy
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by oluwaseyi0: 10:48am On Jan 18
Manisahealer:
Reach out to me for permanet cure for weak erection, quick ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, Watery and low Sperm Count and improvement of your girth with the number on my signature.

If after one week you do not get your desired result you are free to report my bank and post my details online.

Its 100 percent herbal and 90 percent bitter kola made without any side effects.
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by warezsofts: 10:50am On Jan 18
I've bookmarked this page for future reference. The tips on [specific technique] are practical and easy to implement. Great resource.
[url]Final Draft Licence Key[/url]
https://warezsofts.com/final-draft-crack/
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by ceejayluv(m): 11:21am On Jan 18
200 tons? How many come remain na?
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Tapout(m): 11:40am On Jan 18
Dem done hold press conference again....smh
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by 79733139(m): 12:03pm On Jan 18
Manisahealer:

Seun
Mynd44
(Rules 6 & 18)
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Sabadon(m): 12:15pm On Jan 18
OgideAgu:
Good one
. Oga Benny B cool
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Father4all: 1:32pm On Jan 18
Why must Africa believe everything the whites said
Re: Customs Records 12 Convictions For Over 20,000kg Of Endangered Species (pic) by Pootle: 2:58pm On Jan 18
who go chop those apples and peach

(1) (2) (Reply)

Celebrate Nigeria's Diversity - Posters' Rich Diversities. / Checkout Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message To Nigerians(pics) / Reps’ Bill Seeks 10-Year-Jail Sentence For Disclosure Of Security Agents’ ID

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.