Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,871 members, 7,817,568 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON (15802 Views)

Seyi Olofinjana: Super Eagles Have No Identity Under Rohr / Super Eagles Have Reached The Semi-Finals In 15 Out Of 18 AFCON Appearances / Mikel Obi: 'I Have Beaten Messi At Club Level, I Hope To Do It Again Today’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by robosky02(m): 11:05am On Jan 19
AFCON 2023: Three times the Super Eagles have beaten host Nations at AFCON

The Super Eagles of Nigeria have had a remarkable history in the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), including some memorable victories against host nations.

Playing against host countries is never an easy feat, as you will have to go up against both the players on the pitch and an overwhelming number of home fans.

The Super Eagles have managed to overcome this situation a couple of times in AFCON history, going against the odds and coming off with a victory.

Here are three times the Super Eagles have secured victory against the host country

First time:
Senegal 1-2 Nigeria (1992, Group stage)

One of the most notable victories for the Super Eagles against a host nation occurred in 1992 during the group stage of the AFCON. The match against Senegal saw Nigeria emerge victorious with a scoreline of 2-1. This game was a display of determination and skill, as the Super Eagles managed to outplay the hosts on their own turf.

Samson Siasia gave the Super Eagles an early lead in the 13th minute, but it did not last long as Senegal’s striker Jules Bocandé restored parity before half time. With the game looking to end in a stalemate, Stephen Keshi found the net in the 89th to secure a first-ever win against a host nation at the AFCON for Nigeria.

Second Time:

Mali 0-1 Nigeria (2002, Third-place playoff)

Nigeria’s second triumph against a host nation at the AFCON was in 2002 during a third-place playoff match against Mali. Nigeria secured a win with a 1-0 scoreline, thanks to a decisive goal from Yakubu Aiyegbeni in the 29th minute.

This match was particularly noteworthy for how tight it was and the high stakes, with Nigeria managing to clinch third place in the tournament. It was Nigeria’s second game against the hosts, Mali, at that tournament, as both teams had met earlier in the group stage, and it ended goalless.

Third time:

Ivory Coast 0-1 Nigeria (2023, Group Stage)

At the Africa Cup of Nations on Thursday, Nigeria defeated Ivory Coast 1-0 thanks to a penalty kick in the second half by William Troost-Ekong.
The Super Eagles recorded another win against a host nation at the 2023 AFCON when they beat Ivory Coast in their second group game. Nigeria secured a 1-0 victory courtesy of a spot kick that was converted by William Troost-Ekong in the 55th minute of the game. The win took Nigeria to four points after two group games, a massive victory against all odds.

https://www.pulsesports.ng/football/story/afcon-2023-three-times-the-super-eagles-have-beaten-host-nations-at-afcon-2024011820485942790

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by otipoju(m): 11:35am On Jan 19
Samuel Chukwueze is the most selfish footballer I have ever seen.

Has always has zero intentions and desire to pass to a team mate in a better position to score. What a horrible team mate.

He is a great liability to any team. He will rob you of vital goals with his na me score am attitude.

The only way to use him is as a substituite to be brought on after you have won by two so he can carry opponents to run and waste time.

No end product for the guy at all

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by robosky02(m): 11:39am On Jan 19
Omo that year we beat Senegal 2-1 at the. AFCON opening game

It was incredible

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by GanagiBitrus: 12:12pm On Jan 19
Never easy playing against the host & their thousands of intimidating supporters. They did well.

Kudos Super Eagles. 👍

25 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Deogratiasfx: 12:14pm On Jan 19
robosky02:

It was incredible

We have senior men amongst us here o. Then I did not even know there is any call football.

10 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by robosky02(m): 12:34pm On Jan 19
Deogratiasfx:

We have senior men amongst us here o. Then I did not even know there is any call football.

That was my second AFCON I watched

After watching Algeria 1990 from the window those days

When Algeria hammered us
Opening match 5-1
Finals 1-0

10 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by robosky02(m): 12:40pm On Jan 19
robosky02:

It was incredible

That year Senegal has Jules Bocandé thier star man before
El Hadji Diuf and Sadio Mane

Jules Bocandé with his dreadlocks was every where with the president watching from the stance.
Until Stephen Keshi silent them on the 89th minutes and Nigeria won 2-1

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by prezee1: 1:12pm On Jan 19
If we can maintain this historic to the final sha, good luck, but Nigerian team dey Bleep up while playing an important matches

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Lanre4uonly(m): 1:13pm On Jan 19
That's correct.
Onto the next match.
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by CameroonPepper: 1:14pm On Jan 19
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Racoon(m): 1:14pm On Jan 19
Odiro easy mehn
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by LEARNPYTHON(m): 1:17pm On Jan 19
Okay
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Christiquana(f): 1:17pm On Jan 19
Interesting

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Femich18(m): 1:23pm On Jan 19
Ok
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Judolisco(m): 1:24pm On Jan 19
robosky02:

Jules Bocandé with his dreadlocks was every where with the president watching from the stance.
who be d oyibo guy 4 pics?
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by kestolove95(m): 1:29pm On Jan 19
Our 4th tittle is loading

2 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by lhurd: 1:31pm On Jan 19
This should probably be the official super eagles mascot. looks great
GanagiBitrus:
Never easy playing against the host & their thousands of intimidating supporters. They did well.

Kudos Super Eagles. 👍

2 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Akanoaaa(m): 1:34pm On Jan 19
There is nothing in this team. Although, they have great players but they don't have team.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by lexy2014: 1:37pm On Jan 19
robosky02:

Na Reuben Agboola I de see for that pix?

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Tesenak20: 1:37pm On Jan 19
Judolisco:
Reuben Agboola a Defender,Right full Back.

5 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by lexy2014: 1:39pm On Jan 19
robosky02:

When Algeria hammered us
Opening match 5-1
Finals 1-0

Kudos to the eagles to make it to the final game and gave a better outing
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by bestman09(m): 1:57pm On Jan 19
Goodluck to them
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by starstaz(m): 2:02pm On Jan 19
Judolisco:
( Ajibade Babalade, he played (2), Right back.We imported him from England where he played for second division teams) No be today, Nigeria dey import colored player from abroad . He was a worthy player during d tournament. He gat steel in his defence style.

Sorry: Reuben Agboola. D guy above is correct.

5 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Kukutente23: 2:06pm On Jan 19
Elders in the house i dey hail o grin grin

4 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by femi4: 2:46pm On Jan 19
robosky02:

It was incredible
Senegal wasn't big then. It was just an average team.

The revolution of Senegal football came in the millennium when they started bringing in players from French clubs into the national team
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by valentineuwakwe(m): 2:54pm On Jan 19
Nigeria beat 🇨🇮 in 1994, we went on to win that AFCON.

Nigeria beat 🇨🇮 in 2013, we went on to win that AFCON.

Nigeria beat 🇨🇮 in 2024, are you thinking what I m thinking?
#AFCONQ2024

5 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by seunlayi(m): 2:54pm On Jan 19
We just pushed the Ivorian ibiti a very tight Conner. There qualification is hanging. They have to beat the EQ

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by KosiGee(m): 3:03pm On Jan 19
robosky02:

When Algeria hammered us
Opening match 5-1
Finals 1-0

JJ Okocha’s brother Emma JJ Okocha scored the only goal for Nigeria.
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by ManOfSon: 3:25pm On Jan 19
You should have held your peace, bro. I watched the 1982 finals when Nigeria beat Algeria for our first ever Afcon cup. Before that game, I didn't even know who the hell was Segun Odegbami. I only followed Spartans of Owerri.

Deogratiasfx:

Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Godada(m): 4:00pm On Jan 19
Re: AFCON 2023: Three Times The Super Eagles Have Beaten Host Nations At AFCON by Deogratiasfx: 4:37pm On Jan 19
ManOfSon:
You should have held your peace, bro. I watched the 1982 finals when Nigeria beat Algeria for our first ever Afcon cup. Before that game, I didn't even know who the hell was Segun Odegbami. I only followed Spartans of Owerri.

Am I arguing with anyone on this?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alisson Becker Wins The Best FIFA Men's Goalkeeper 2019 Award / Coco Gauff Wins Her First Major Tennis Title / Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.