Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,814 members, 7,827,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding (6888 Views)

Treck For Gej From Abuja To Otuoke. / 2015 Election: 1.8 Million Votes Already In The Bag For GEJ From The Southwest / Group Calls For Mass Protest To Oust GEJ From Office. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by koruji(m): 1:37am On Nov 06, 2011
Boko Haram Stops Jonathan From Brother's Wedding

http://tribune.com.ng/sun/front-page-articles/5520-boko-haram-stops-jonathan-from-brothers-wedding-as-he-orders-tighter-security

•As he orders tighter security

Written by Taiwo Adisa, Leon Usigbe and Oluwole Ige Sunday, 06 November 2011

Strong indication emerged on Saturday why President Goodluck Jonathan decided to call off a private visit to Bayelsa State.

Jonathan, who was billed to attend the wedding ceremony of his younger brother, which kicked off on Friday at Udeme Hotel, in Yenogoa, jolted thousands of Bayelsans, who had gathered at Peace Park, opposite the state government house, on Saturday, for the reception ceremony of the wedding.

According to the presidential spokesman, Dr. Reuben Abati, the president decided to cancel his planned trip to Bayelsa on Friday, when he heard of the bomb incident at a military base in Maiduguri and another attack in Yobe State.

Dr Abati, who stated this in a chat with newsmen, said President Jonathan had ordered security agencies in the country to renew a fresh manhunt for perpetrators of the suicide bomb attempt at the Maiduguri military base as well as another attack in Yobe State.

He stated that contrary to insinuations in some quarters that the cancelation had to do with the political situation in Bayelsa State, the president's action was as a result of the decision to devote more time to the search for peace in the troubled North Eastern states.

Dr. Abati noted that what the president was going for in Bayelsa was a social event which was also a family affair, adding that the president felt that it would be a wrong priority if he left the pressing security challenge of the nation unattended to, only to head for his brother’s wedding.

"The president does not feel that he should be seen attending a wedding when such  incidents are happening, and he has renewed his charge to security agencies to renew the search for those behind the dastardly acts. He believes that for anyone to carry out such acts of destruction of lives at this season of peace deviates from the message of peace and love that ordinarily radiates around Eid-il-Kabir.

"It is clear that perpetrators of such acts are out on selfish agenda which cannot be allowed  to fester," Abati said.

He explained that “the president cancelled all engagements when the report of the incident reached him, including the wedding of his younger brother in Bayelsa State and another appointment at the airport at 4pm. He said it would be wrong and insensitive to be seen to be celebrating when such tragedy occurred.”

Abati added that Jonathan opted to stay back in Abuja and mourn with the families of the victims of the blasts while assuring  all Nigerians and the international community that his administration was doing everything to secure lives and property in the country.

The president wondered in whose interest the Boko Haram were fighting, noting that from their timing of the attack and targeting of innocent lives, they were pursuing selfish agenda that was detrimental to the well-being of the country.

Jonathan was particularly pained that the attacks were coming during the holy festivity of Eid-el-Kabir, saying this made him to cancel all his engagements as a mark of respect for victims of the latest bomb blasts.

He observed that the Islamic sect, Boko Haram, which claimed responsibility over the last weekend’s attacks in Borno and Yobe states, were pursuing a selfish agenda, noting that that explained why they went for innocent civilians.

Jonathan, however, condemned the attacks and warned the perpetrators to desist from it as no efforts would be spared to bring them to book, if they continued.

Meanwhile, fresh facts have emerged that the PDP governors have also dumped Governor Timipre Sylva of Bayelsa State, making his ambition of flying the party’s flag next year a tall dream.

The governors, Sunday Tribune gathered, took the decision because the party has told them its direction in Sylva’s matter and they could not contravene the position given their situations and the fact they are party loyalists.

According to a competent source in the PDP Governors’ Forum, the governors chose to allow the wish of the party to prevail in the case because the party told them its stand and might have seen what they (governors) failed to see. “We cannot move against the party’s wish because we think the party knows better,” the source said.

In another development, unidentified gunmen, numbering five, in the early hours of last Friday in Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, allegedly stormed the residence of the deputy paramount ruler of the area, Chief Noble Ewege, firing several shots at him before escaping with his blood-soaked body.

Credible source close to the family of the victim informed Sunday Tribune that the gunmen, who entered the riverine community of Otuopkot through a speed boat sneaked into the bedroom of Chief Ewege unexpectedly.

Upon sighting his assailants, the deputy monarch swiftly jumped out of the bed where his wife was fast asleep and attempted to escape through the window. This act made the gunmen to fire several shots at him.

Sounds of gunshots woke up villagers around Agotoma area where the residence of the Ewege is situated.

“The gunmen later dragged him in the pool of blood into their waiting speed boat and got away through the Nun River. We are extremely worried over this sad occurrence,” the source said.
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by CyberG: 4:07am On Nov 06, 2011
When will they reach Asohole Roc?
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by dustydee: 9:31am On Nov 06, 2011
insecurity
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by 1025: 9:38am On Nov 06, 2011
from the look of things, i foresee this same boko haram stopping mr. fresh air from sleeping with his wife and making any public appearance.
this boko haram will earn my respect and many other nigerians if they make our politicians their sole targets and then, we will be lining up to buy their forms.
pls boko haram, solve us one great problem and kill these criminal politicians for us.
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by maimalari: 12:34pm On Nov 06, 2011
The fear of timipre sylva is the beginning of wisdom for our presido.
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by doctokwus: 1:08pm On Nov 06, 2011
Damn his advisers,GEJ is coming across evryday as sth else,its reached d point of getting exasperated wt him.For God's sake how can he b sending impressions of being weak& not having a clue on what to do.First independence day celebration was shifted to Aso rock,now for his own bro's wedding he fails to show face.For whatever d reason dis time,BH or Silva,some people seem to av an agenda of making our president luk incapable of leading dis country;GEJ pls take charge,a lot of people near u are giving u wrong advice,its not making ur presidency luk in charge.
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by dplordx(m): 11:08am On Nov 07, 2011
LOL. F0ken failure! Nigerians are crazy to vote this kitten into power. Mssschewst!
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by Challas(m): 11:10am On Nov 07, 2011
1025:

from the look of things, i foresee this same boko haram stopping mr. fresh air from sleeping with his wife and making any public appearance.
this boko haram will earn my respect and many other nigerians if they make our politicians their sole targets and then, we will be lining up to buy their forms.
pls boko haram, solve us one great problem and kill these criminal politicians for us.
"I ASSURE U OF FRESH AIR>(BOMBS)< IN NIGERIA" lol,
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by dplordx(m): 11:11am On Nov 07, 2011
maimalari:

The fear of timipre sylva is the beginning of wisdom for our presido.

Man, are you Jesus or a carpenter? Coz you nailed the real reason?
That oloshi is scared to even go to his home state because of the current governor there.
I am waiting for his head because Nigerians will be cutting it off his stup.id head when the oil marketers mess up this country further next year.
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by Valprof: 11:23am On Nov 07, 2011
gentlemen of boko.plz go to our universities and sanitize the rot their. Go to unn and bomb those kleptocractic official .kudos to boko!
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by Salmoneus(m): 11:48am On Nov 07, 2011
Your president is a CHICKEN!!
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by MrGlobe(m): 11:50am On Nov 07, 2011
blood everywhere. Lord have mercy
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by Dsense(m): 12:13pm On Nov 07, 2011
I hope he's gotten enough Israeli securities to protect him from such attack, Typical dumb presido!!
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by mikolo80: 12:34pm On Nov 07, 2011
up boko haram
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by Funkymallam(m): 12:50pm On Nov 07, 2011
Nigerians, when will we stop complaining?
If he attended, we will call him insensitive to the plight of Damaturu dwellers, just as we accuse him of celebrating his wife's bday, as if we wont do d same.
Fear of Silva my foot! Silva is a drowning man, he was dia @ d wedding ceremony, wc the first lady attended, he should v struck d first lady na, i tot he promised to also kill d president's brother? Y attend d wedding and sit dia lyk a slave? Rubbish!
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by lafuria1(m): 12:58pm On Nov 07, 2011
wat did he say, directed, or do by nt goin 4 d wedding. Did he visit damaturu? He neva cared abt jos y shld he care abt damaturu nw?
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by onchefx: 1:22pm On Nov 07, 2011
OGA GEJ U DEY PLAY WITH THIS BOKO GUYS ABI,HEM!!! SEE IF U NO BEGIN SMOKE THOSE GUYS OUT OF THEIR HOLES THOSE BOKO MEN GO JUST KNAK U AKPAKO, AKPAKO!!!! U THINK SAY BUSH KNOW KNOW WHY E SAY 'WE DONT NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORIST'
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by BigBenoski(m): 1:51pm On Nov 07, 2011
Na wa o! Did u guys even read ds post or u r just comentin based on ur preconcieved bias? D dude said he's staying back in abj 2 concentrate on leadership and condole d families affected in d rcent violence in d north instead of jetn off 2 sm social function in bayelsa. Now how has dat made him a chicken?what kind of hatred is dis??he'l keep leading us till 2015 and no amt of hatred will change dat, get used it guys. Mschewww!!
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 07, 2011
Valprof:

gentlemen of boko.plz go to our universities and sanitize the rot their. Go to unn and bomb those kleptocractic official .kudos to boko!

Why hv u chosen to be a fo.ol,isn't ur comment different frm the other.jst look around and hw hw du.ll u r in mist of others.
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 07, 2011
Valprof:

Why hv u chosen to be a fo.ol,isn't ur comment different frm the other.jst look around and hw hw du.ll u r in mist of others.
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by crackhouse(m): 3:38pm On Nov 07, 2011
Tell me which one do i comment on now. Boko haram, timipre sylva or the gunmen?
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by gigabytes: 4:19pm On Nov 07, 2011
Is this fresh air I voted for? It is well.
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by gigabytes: 4:21pm On Nov 07, 2011
At times, I think what is going on now in my country is the film titled[b] 24[/b]
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 07, 2011
damn jonathan, is this film trick? u modafucking make me sick!
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by yommysomguy(m): 6:47pm On Nov 07, 2011
gigabytes:

Is this fresh air I voted for? It is well.
u even had the time to vote. Good for you
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by dayokanu(m): 7:38pm On Nov 07, 2011
Enjoy your fresh air from odechukwu retardeen
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by godman01(m): 7:41pm On Nov 07, 2011
Our nation and our leaders needs your prayers not abuses. Why not transfer the energy to abuse them to a word of prayer. Perhaps, its not easy being a leader. All this at the end of the day, affects the masses not necessarily them. As for me; this nation is blessed and our leaders are taken the right steps to solve Nigeria's problem either on purpose or by mistake in Jesus name.
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 07, 2011
GEJ where is the fresh air?

You don try. News reaching me is that I have lost a close associate of mine.

You don try. You hear? You try
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by ocelot2006(m): 8:00pm On Nov 07, 2011
Na wa for NL members. Two states are in flames, yet you abuse the president and C-in-C for not attending a wedding? Are you guys nuts?

With regards to Governor Sylva, you guys really think the President is scared of him. You all do know that he commands ALL military, law enforcement, and intelligence units. Yet you all think he's scared of a simple cocaine snorting governor, abi? You guys really baffle me with your reasoning.
Re: Boko Haram Stops GEJ From Attending His Brother's Wedding by Reallikeity: 1:22am On Nov 08, 2011
want 2 make a request, bokos pls target all our bad politicians.likes of obj farm and himself, bankole, atiku, ibb,tinubu, d mark and their counterparts

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tambuwal`s Defection: Why Yoruba Must Redeem Themselves.. / See Photos Of Asiwaju Tinubu As He Landed In Nigeria Today From UK / Why Extreme Capitalism Is Not Suitable For Nigeria - Please Vote!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.