Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,035 members, 7,814,530 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging (13684 Views)

Tribunal Suspend Efe Ovueni For Hugging, Blowing A Kiss At A Colleague In Canada / Five Health Warning Signs From Your Feet To Never Ignore / Top Five Health Tips For The Yuletide Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Racoon(m): 12:58pm On Jan 21
National Hugging Day is celebrated on January 21 annually. It was created by Kevin Zaborney, a pastor, to encourage people to express affection and care towards each other more often through simple acts like hugs.

Hug is a universal form of endearment that accompanies various emotions. Whether during moments of nervousness, sadness, or excitement, a hug provides comfort and reassurance.

However, beyond the comfort that comes with hugs, scientific studies have highlighted numerous health benefits associated with this heartfelt gesture. Without further ado, here are the health benefits of getting a hug.

Boosts Heart Health
Physical touch, including hugging, has been linked to lower blood pressure and heart rate. The calming effect you get after a hug can improve your heart health. In a study involving over 200 participants, it was found that getting a 20-second hug can help greatly in the reduction of blood pressure levels and heart rate.

Another study further explains that the body releases oxytocin, the chemical also called the love hormone, when hugged. Meanwhile, oxytocin causes a reduction in blood pressure.

Reduces Stress
There is no doubt hug reduces stress, right? That is why you tend to give or want to receive a hug when you are stressed.
A study involving heterosexual couples found that a hug does not reduce stress in just the person being hugged but also the giver. When you comfort someone by giving him/her a hug, you also comfort yourself. So why not do it often?

Improved Immune Function
Surprised? Hugging may contribute to better immune function, giving your body more ability to fend off illnesses.
It doesn’t mean you would never get sick again when you hug frequently.

In a study of 406 adults, it was proven that hugging may reduce the chance a person will get sick. The participants with social support were less likely to get sick when exposed to a virus. And even when they did get sick, they had less severe symptoms than those with little or no support.

Reduces Anxiety
A hug can help reduce fear and anxiety, particularly in people with low self-esteem. A study found that touch including hugs can help reduce fear, and existential anxiety and maintain social connectedness in people with low self-esteem. It was also found that touching/hugging does not have to be with humans. It can also be an inanimate object like a teddy bear.

Pain Relief
Some form of touch like a hug is capable of reducing pain. Hugging can trigger the release of endorphins, which act as natural pain relievers.

In a study, people with fibromyalgia had six therapeutic touch treatments that involved light touching on the skin. After the treatment, there was an increase in quality of life and reduced pain in the participants. Embracing the health benefits of hugging on World Hug Day can be a simple yet impactful way to enhance overall well-being. So, hug a loved one today.
https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/health-benefits-hugging/#google_vignette

2 Likes

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Racoon(m): 1:04pm On Jan 21
Oya let the hugging continue. There is one nice NL I would want to meet and hug one day. Amotolongbo - Very nice and cool lady. Her submissions here are always superb.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Jeon(f): 1:06pm On Jan 21
😕.
Who will I hug?.
😊 Mrcork, gei papi come over here. 😉

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Theweekend: 1:06pm On Jan 21
Lol

2 Likes

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by madridguy(m): 1:07pm On Jan 21
grin grin grin

Na Genevieve Nnaji I go like hug as I dey like this.

8 Likes

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Amotolongbo(f): 1:50pm On Jan 21
Racoon:
Oya let the hugging continue. There is one nice NL I would want to meet and hug one day. Amotolongbo - Very nice and cool lady. Her submissions here are always superb.
Thanks so much my brother 🥰

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Ravenna: 2:10pm On Jan 21
Some breasts go suffer today

14 Likes

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by mytime24(f): 3:04pm On Jan 21
Waiting for d 5 disadvantages cheesy

4 Likes

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Alexis11: 3:04pm On Jan 21
Hugging is therapeutic.

8 Likes

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Jewessgratitud3: 3:05pm On Jan 21
I prefer hugging babies cos of their innocence and cuteness.

It will be difficult for me to hug an adult in this hot weather. That armpit..

2 Likes

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Newsfeed247: 3:05pm On Jan 21
Davido Celebrate Tunde Ednut, Send Birthday Wishes from South Africa (video)
Watch video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zDF0UCPoNs
Davido CelebrateTunde Ednut Birthday Live in South Africa as he Send his Wishes to him
Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Alexis11: 3:05pm On Jan 21
mytime24:
K

Wanted to hug you but changed my mind when I saw your dp. I will pass. cool

1 Like

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Waterlilly: 3:05pm On Jan 21
Let me go and hug my wife, she too much

1 Like

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by veekid(m): 3:05pm On Jan 21
We want national straffing day
Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Olarewaju89: 3:05pm On Jan 21
grin

Make nobody hug my wife oo. I no dey carry that woman play abeg

3 Likes

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by mytime24(f): 3:07pm On Jan 21
Alexis11:

Wanted to hug you but changed my mind when I saw your DP.
😂😆😂
Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by Dikastan: 3:07pm On Jan 21
It.is only hug with the opposite sex that makes sense. Every other hug is hugless

4 Likes

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by EreluRoz: 3:10pm On Jan 21
I need a 🫂
Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by TrackerSK: 3:14pm On Jan 21
I want to hug my Boss.That woman is so hot.
Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by theophorus(m): 3:20pm On Jan 21
Abeg, who dey carryout this Yeye research like dis?

Abeg, who wan hug make he hug and who no wan hug make he fold hands.
Sha let make your mind put towards everybody.
Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by juri: 3:21pm On Jan 21
EreluRoz:
I need a 🫂

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by NOwazobia: 3:21pm On Jan 21
Another nonsense humans invent just to feel acceptance and pleasure.

2 Likes

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by SlavaUkraini: 3:26pm On Jan 21
E nor go better for the moderator that ban this my moniker recently....

This year you go suffer 😓😓😓😭😭😭

Go ahead and ban this moniker again....

I have opened several others...

1 Like

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by hotseat: 3:27pm On Jan 21
Choose carefully those you hug!

Some people may read negative meanings even for the most casual/harmless of hugs.

Some people are simply implacable!

Don't waste your hugs on undeserving fellows.

Just a word of caution!

@hotseat

2 Likes

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by cenaman(m): 3:28pm On Jan 21
Where is candidlady ?
Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by BluntCrazeMan: 3:32pm On Jan 21
Racoon:

https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/health-benefits-hugging/#google_vignette

***UNRELATED

Fathers, please hug your daughters as often and as many times in a day as possible..
Hug them for all the slightest possible reasons..
Even starting from their childhood, and well into their adulthood..

**Don't Include KISSING..
Don't even give tight long hugs.
Just Light Hugs alone is very okay, so they won't get bored of it.

It makes them have positive thinking about LOVE..

***Mothers, do same for your sons too.

Now, Fathers, also hug your sons too.
Even if not so often as you hug the daughters.
It gives a sense of acceptance and confidence.

Mothers, do same for your daughters too.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by teadrake(m): 3:36pm On Jan 21
TrackerSK:
I want to hug my Boss.That woman is so hot.
Hug her and kiss your job goodbye(•‿•)

1 Like

Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by b0rn2fuck(m): 3:36pm On Jan 21
It's make u feel nipples on your chest
Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by BluntCrazeMan: 3:39pm On Jan 21
b0rn2fuck:
It's make u feel nipples on your chest
She's wearing padded-bra nkọr??
Re: National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging by yinkus6750(m): 3:44pm On Jan 21
No gree for any hug o.
From hugging to Huggies.
If you know, you know.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

COVID-19: FG Pledges More Support To Kano Govt. / Improving Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant With Self Fertility Massage / Governor Ganduje Destroys Illegal Drugs And Expired Food Items. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.