Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,875 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire (1418 Views)

Yoruba Community In Nnewi Celebrating their carnival(video) / Yoruba Community In Awka Coronates New Oba, Gets Soludo’s Assurance / Yoruba Community Abuja Visit Aare Onakakanfo Of Yorubaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by opamoses1: 4:19am On Jan 25
THE VIBRANT YORUBA COMMUNITY OF ABIDJAN & IVORY COAST (COTE D'IVOIRE).

Do you know that Adjame is a Yoruba dominated area of Abidjan the capital city of Ivory Coast (Cote D'Ivoire)?

There are so many Yoruba people here than an area of the city bears the name 'Temidire'. As of 2019, there was an estimated 2 million Nigerians living in Côte d’Ivoire, according to the chargé d’affaires at the Nigerian Embassy Abidjan, Mr Mohammed Maccido. The diplomat said more than 80 per cent of Nigerian residents in the country were Yoruba.

The Yoruba presence in Ivory coast goes so far back that there are now many third Generation Yoruba Ivorians who speak French and Yoruba. They mainly came into the country as Traders, Artisans, and skilled workers. They have been there for more than 100 years now and have never had any issues with their naive Ivorian hosts either politically or culturally, and there has been a lot of cultural exchange between both communities.

They are often called Anago in the country and they come from various places all over Yorubaland like Ejigbo, Ogbomoso, Igboho, Ede, Abeokuta, Iseyin, Iwo
Etc, but majority were Ejigbo.

Though the impact of the Ejigbo legion to the Gross Domestic Product of Côte d’Ivoire could not readily be quantified, the diplomat said there were big business concerns and Ivorian organisations headed by the Ejigbo people.

The northern ivorian cities like Bouake have many Yorubas mainly from the Shaki area through Bobo-Dioilasso in Burkina Faso. apart from Adjame itself, Treichville, Marcory, Abobo, Grand Bassam, Bracodi, Bouake, Dabou, Cocody and Abengourou also had large number of Yoruba residents.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by munavi: 5:08am On Jan 25
Beautiful!
God bless Yoruba people!!
God bless Nigerians!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Varunpulyani: 5:12am On Jan 25
Abijan is safe for igbos and Yoruba,.

There is light.

Good roads

But in Nigeria Yoruba and igbos are fighting inside NEPA darkness

1 Like

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Biodun556(m): 5:18am On Jan 25
Ejigbo Osun State is a mini ivory coast

5 Likes

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Westerhoffe(m): 5:24am On Jan 25
wink
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Slytiger: 5:27am On Jan 25
Back at Uni, I had two Ivorean-Nigerians class mates that came from an Ivory Coast Polytechnic as direct entry students, and they graduated with us. They were Ivoreans but had Yoruba names and spoke Yoruba, French and English.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Apus: 6:21am On Jan 25
Adjame wey yorubas don turn to Oshodi. Nothing attractive about that place. I prefer Treichvile or Cocody.
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by tollyboy5(m): 6:32am On Jan 25
Apus:
Adjame wey yorubas don turn to Oshodi. Nothing attractive about that place. I prefer Treichvile or Cocody.
Wen last you reach Oshodi?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Alsenora: 6:53am On Jan 25
Obviously one of those who chant brown roof without having any physical knowledge of the place.
tollyboy5:

Wen last you reach Oshodi?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Brendaniel: 7:21am On Jan 25
opamoses1:
THE VIBRANT YORUBA COMMUNITY OF ABIDJAN & IVORY COAST (COTE D'IVOIRE).

Do you know that Adjame is a Yoruba dominated area of Abidjan the capital city of Ivory Coast (Cote D'Ivoire)?

There are so many Yoruba people here than an area of the city bears the name 'Temidire'. As of 2019, there was an estimated 2 million Nigerians living in Côte d’Ivoire, according to the chargé d’affaires at the Nigerian Embassy Abidjan, Mr Mohammed Maccido. The diplomat said more than 80 per cent of Nigerian residents in the country were Yoruba.

The Yoruba presence in Ivory coast goes so far back that there are now many third Generation Yoruba Ivorians who speak French and Yoruba. They mainly came into the country as Traders, Artisans, and skilled workers. They have been there for more than 100 years now and have never had any issues with their naive Ivorian hosts either politically or culturally, and there has been a lot of cultural exchange between both communities.

They are often called Anago in the country and they come from various places all over Yorubaland like Ejigbo, Ogbomoso, Igboho, Ede, Abeokuta, Iseyin, Iwo
Etc, but majority were Ejigbo.

Though the impact of the Ejigbo legion to the Gross Domestic Product of Côte d’Ivoire could not readily be quantified, the diplomat said there were big business concerns and Ivorian organisations headed by the Ejigbo people.

The northern ivorian cities like Bouake have many Yorubas mainly from the Shaki area through Bobo-Dioilasso in Burkina Faso. apart from Adjame itself, Treichville, Marcory, Abobo, Grand Bassam, Bracodi, Bouake, Dabou, Cocody and Abengourou also had large number of Yoruba residents.

And yet you insult and blame Igbos for migrating to other parts of Nigeria especially the south west and here you are praising your tribe for doing the same thing in another country, hypocrisy
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Olachase(m): 9:05am On Jan 25
Brendaniel:

And yet you insult and blame Igbos for migrating to other parts of Nigeria especially the south west and here you are praising your tribe for doing the same thing in another country, hypocrisy
how did you mean they migrate? Some of those guys grandparents might have been in that country even before creation of Nigeria, same as Seme, Togo,
The Yorubas in Kabba kogi do they also migrate 😏😏

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Brendaniel: 9:17am On Jan 25
Olachase:
how did you they migrate? Some of those guys grandparents might have been in that country even before creation of Nigeria, same as Seme, Togo,
Did Yorubas also migrate to kaba in kogi

Same way some Igbos migrated even before the creation of Nigeria, my mum was born in Lagos and her parents where living in Lagos long before she was born and she is in her sixties, so what is your point?
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by SeeWahala: 9:25am On Jan 25
Omo shocked dem really sell these people as slaves well well back in the days sha
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by CandidAdmin(m): 9:25am On Jan 25
Yoruba community abi Nigerian community?
Just because Yoruba plenty pass doesn't make it one.
Abi is there a Nigerian community in CIV?
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Olachase(m): 10:17am On Jan 25
Brendaniel:

Same way some Igbos migrated even before the creation of Nigeria, my mum was born in Lagos and her parents where living in Lagos long before she was born and she is in her sixties, so what is your point?
now check urself very well ori ta yin, your mom was born in Lagos so she is now part of Lagos owner L cheesy L ask ur mom very well her reply should be we are from Abia or Imo

over here in seme Yoruba is their second official language, Yorubas own some part of Local Government they didn't migrate same applies to kabba in kogi

my point is ur mum is never a Lagosian she travel home every December to see her family buh the Yorubas in seme and kabba that's their home

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Brendaniel: 10:28am On Jan 25
Olachase:
now check urself very well ori ta yin, your mom was born in Lagos so she is now part of Lagos owner L cheesy L ask ur mom very well her reply should be we are from Abia or Imo

over here in seme Yoruba is their second official language, Yorubas own some part of Local Government they didn't migrate same applies to kabba in kogi

my point is mum is never a Lagosian she travel home every December to see her family buh the Yorubas in seme and kabba that's their home

You people talk sometimes like people on some substance, the topic here is clear about Côtedvoire, there are no indigenous Yorubas there, that means they migrated to that place and the OP was praising the large numbers of Yorubas that migrated there doing business,

and I countered him that if he is praising such action for his tribe and insulting Igbos for doing the same thing in Nigeria, is that not hypocrisy?

Then you came and started talking about migration before the creation of Nigeria which has nothing to do with the topic, and I responded with similar example for the Igbos and here you are trying to twist the narrative again.

I only gave you an example based on your own example, I never claimed for once that we are Lagosians or my mum is a Lagosian.

I only gave that example because the example you gave has nothing to do with the topic been discussed, we are talking about migration not indigenous people...

So I am still asking what exactly are you driving at, Igbos have never laid claim to own Lagos as indigenes so what exactly are you driving at in relation to the topic being discussed?
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Olachase(m): 10:39am On Jan 25
Brendaniel:

You people talk sometimes like people on some substance, the topic here is clear about Côtedvoire, there are no indigenous Yorubas there, that means they migrated to that place and the OP was praising the large numbers of Yorubas that migrated there doing business,

and I countered him that if he is praising such action for his tribe and insulting Igbos for doing the same thing in Nigeria, is that not hypocrisy?

Then you came and started talking about migration before the creation of Nigeria which has nothing to do with the topic, and I responded with similar example for the Igbos and here you are trying to twist the narrative again.

I only gave you an example based on your own example, I never claimed for once that we are Lagosians or my mum is a Lagosian.

I only gave that example because the example you gave has nothing to do with the topic been discussed, we are talking about migration not indigenous people...

So I am still asking what exactly are you driving at, Igbos have never laid claim to own Lagos as indigenes so what exactly are you driving at in relation to the topic being discussed?
i counter you cus i kw where you are driving at, the moment you made mention ur mom was born in Lagos, buh its fine now that you have made yourself clear, at first you wanted to beat around the bush buh it fine

make the conversation end there cool cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Brendaniel: 12:30pm On Jan 25
Olachase:
i counter you cus i kw where you are driving at, the moment you made mention ur mom was born in Lagos, buh its fine now that you have made yourself clear, at first you wanted to beat around the bush buh it fine

make the conversation end there cool cool

Driving at? I only used the birth of my mum to let you know the number of generations of Igbos in my family alone that have migrated to Lagos and how long since they have been in Lagos since you brought such an example into to the discussion.

It has nothing to do with claiming indigenous, I was born in Osogbo, most of my siblings were born in different parts of the south west and we don't claim to be indigenous, so why will I be driving at such?

I even have Yoruba name in my birth certificate, in fact all my siblings do, but that does not make us indigenous, I have lived with Yorubas almost all my life, I have more Yoruba friends than Igbo friends...

So when I hear Igbos are running to Lagos because Tinubu governened Lagos it is very annoying.

I would have loved to say more things about this topic but one thing I know based on my experience is Tinubu brought serious ethnic division with his style of politics, things I never thought in my life will ever happen based on ethnic grounds I have seen them happen...

It is well....
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Af0nja: 1:00pm On Jan 25
Olachase:
how did you mean they migrate? Some of those guys grandparents might have been in that country even before creation of Nigeria, same as Seme, Togo,
The Yorubas in Kabba kogi do they also migrate 😏😏

There's no indigenous Yoruba in CI. But they have been there for long. Abidjan belongs to the Jula people I think.

But Yoruba people have a stronghold in the country as they are a huge part of the military and police.
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Af0nja: 1:04pm On Jan 25
Olachase:

my point is ur mum is never a Lagosian she travel home every December to see her family buh the Yorubas in seme and kabba that's their home

It's either you're still a kid or your brain is younger than your body. You literally conflicted the small sense you made in the next statement grin.

No need to dey even talk about complex stuffs with you.

You're. Doing well
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by christistruth01: 2:16pm On Jan 26
They don’t disprect their hosts neither will they ever call Abidjan a No man’s land

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Gobengroup(m): 10:43pm On Jan 28
Brendaniel:

Driving at? I only used the birth of my mum to let you know the number of generations of Igbos in my family alone that have migrated to Lagos and how long since they have been in Lagos since you brought such an example into to the discussion.

It has nothing to do with claiming indigenous, I was born in Osogbo, most of my siblings were born in different parts of the south west and we don't claim to be indigenous, so why will I be driving at such?

I even have Yoruba name in my birth certificate, in fact all my siblings do, but that does not make us indigenous, I have lived with Yorubas almost all my life, I have more Yoruba friends than Igbo friends...

So when I hear Igbos are running to Lagos because Tinubu governened Lagos it is very annoying.

I would have loved to say more things about this topic but one thing I know based on my experience is Tinubu brought serious ethnic division with his style of politics, things I never thought in my life will ever happen based on ethnic grounds I have seen them happen...

It is well....

Forget this matter...

Hope this is not my friend Obruga?... I grew up with many Igbo friends and I have one as my best friends today, let there be peace... 🙏
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by ariesbull: 7:09am On Jan 29
The original name of yoruba people are Anago...Yoruba is just a name given to them by hausa
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Dsimmer: 1:03pm On Jan 30
ariesbull:
The original name of yoruba people are Anago...Yoruba is just a name given to them by hausa

Yoruba has no meaning in Hausa.

Yoruba was a name given by Oranmiyan of Ile Ife.

It's coined from "Oyo ori oba" which means Oyo is king. 9ice mentioned it in his gongo Aso music when he said "ajise bi Oyo lari, Oyo ko sebi Baba enikan"

Oranmiyan of Ile Ife gave that name. It was Oyo who were first called that name and then later, the whole Yoruba was called the name.
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by ariesbull: 2:00pm On Jan 30
Dsimmer:

Yoruba has no meaning in Hausa.

Yoruba was a name given by Oranmiyan of Ile Ife.

It's coined from "Oyo ori oba" which means Oyo is king. 9ice described it in his gongo Aso music when he said "ajise bi Oyo lari, oyo ko sebi Baba enikan"

Oranmiyan of Ile Ife gave that name. It was Oyo who was first called that name and then later, the whole Yoruba was called the name.

Just Dey play .... Wetin everyone know even Google

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Dsimmer: 2:39pm On Jan 30
ariesbull:

Just Dey play .... Wetin everyone know even Google

By who exactly?

You mean people writing gibberish without facts?

I deal in facts, not stupidity!

The word Yoruba has no meaning in Hausa. That's a fact. The word, Yoruba only has its meaning in Yoruba language. That's a fact!

Another fact is, even before the Hausa, the Yoruba name was already mentioned in a manuscript in 1614 while the Manden was making reference to the different group of people in Africa. I deal in fact, not stupidity!

The Yoruba name only has its meaning in Yoruba which is Oyo ori Oba. It's also in Yoruba proverbs as a matter of fact. In fact, 9ice also mentioned it in his music.
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by ariesbull: 2:53pm On Jan 30
Dsimmer:

By who exactly?

The word Yoruba has no meaning in Hausa. That's a fact.

Another fact is, even before the Hausa, the Yoruba name was already mentioned in a manuscript as far back in 1614 while talking about the Yoruba groups in Oyo. I deal in fact, not stupidity!

The Yoruba name only has its meaning in Yoruba which is Oyo ori Oba. It's also in Yoruba proverbs as a matter of fact. In fact, 9ice also mentioned it in his music.
you go explain tire
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by ariesbull: 2:54pm On Jan 30
Dsimmer:

By who exactly?

The word Yoruba has no meaning in Hausa. That's a fact.

Another fact is, even before the Hausa, the Yoruba name was already mentioned in a manuscript as far back in 1614 while talking about the Yoruba groups in Oyo. I deal in fact, not stupidity!

Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Dsimmer: 3:08pm On Jan 30
ariesbull:

As I said, I deal in fact, not stupidity!

The fact which is Yoruba only has its meaning in Yoruba. It's in Yoruba proverb as a matter of fact. Also The word Yoruba was mentioned in a manuscript in 1614 while making reference to the different people in Africa.

Yoruba was the name which Oyo were bearing and it only has its meaning in Yoruba language.

The point is Yoruba groups had several names they were bearing before Yoruba was eventually used for everyone. The word Yarba was because some foreigners couldn't pronounce the word (Yo'oba) which was for the Oyo. It has no meaning in any language except in Yoruba language. Yooba (Yoruba) only has its meaning in Yoruba language which is Oyo ori Oba! It's in Yoruba proverb as a matter of fact. 9ice also mentioned it in his music.
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by christistruth01: 4:26pm On Jan 30
Brendaniel:

Show us evidence of them insulting their hosts or calling Abidjan a No Man’s Land
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by Brendaniel: 5:51pm On Jan 30
christistruth01:

Show us evidence of them insulting their hosts or calling Abidjan a No Man’s Land

Show me evidence of Igbos insulting their host or calling Lagos no man's land....
Re: The Vibrant Yoruba Community Of Abidjan In Vote D'ivoire by ariesbull: 6:04pm On Jan 30
Dsimmer:

As I said, I deal in fact, not stupidity!

The fact which is Yoruba only has its meaning in Yoruba. It's in Yoruba proverb as a matter of fact. Also The word Yoruba was mentioned in a manuscript in 1614 while making reference to the different people in Africa.

Yoruba was the name which Oyo people were bearing and it only has its meaning in Yoruba language.

The point is Yoruba groups had several names they were bearing before Yoruba was eventually used for everyone. The word Yarba was because some foreigners couldn't pronounce the word (Yo'oba) which was for the Oyo folks. It has no meaning in any language. Yooba (Yoruba) only has its meaning in Yoruba language which is Oyo ori Oba! It's in Yoruba proverb as a matter of fact. 9ice also mentioned it in his music.
lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wetin Dey Happen Cameroonpride? / Man Nurses Crocodile, Becomes Best Friend With It (see Photos) / Sodomy The Downfall Of Man (Western Freemasonry---Assembly House Of Trannies)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.