Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Why Are Small Businesses Folding Up In Their First One Year In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Small Businesses Folding Up In Their First One Year In Nigeria (125 Views)

Here Are Small Business Ideas You Can Start With Between 50k To 500k / Is Access Bank Folding Up? / Nkataa Ends The Year In Style As They‎ celebrate Their Achievements "‎ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Small Businesses Folding Up In Their First One Year In Nigeria by ProphetofOdin: 10:46am On Jan 26
To most people they get alarmed when big corporations are folding up or repatriating out of the country, but to an average economist we see beyond that and only panic when small businesses are folding up, because we know this is the actual economic lifewire of any country.
I do this thing all the time, when a plaza open up in kubwa I visit the plaza and count the number of small businesses that are set up which are usually; Boutiques, bet shop, wine shop, pub, dry cleaning, and a few others. I monitor this businesses over a year period.
And guess the businesses that are most likely to survive the first year; the betting and the pub shop.

SO, WHY ARE THESE BUSINESSES FOLDING IN THE FIRST ONE YEAR?
before I dabble into that, yesterday I was at a barbers shop(he has been my personal barber in the last 4years, I am that loyal cos he's the only guy that knows how to handle my bald hair😅😅), when got there I noticed he was not having light, so I asked him what happened to his inverter, and he said "oga dem burgle my shop oooo, steal my inverter". The total package of this inverter is about 1.2m,and he bought it on hire purchase, To say the least I was angry and sympathetic to his plight.

Now, The barber pays tenement rate, business operations levy, state taxes to the government The govt. Failed to provide roads for him, he improvised.
They failed to provide electricity, he improvised.
They failed to provide a conducive business environment, yet he improvised.
How could a serious govt fail in something as basic as security for it citizens even if it has failed in other aspect of it responsibility?

Yet, we see politicians jumping from pillar to post, on a goose chase looking for foreign investment.
The foreign investors are not morons. You strangle small businesses with multiple taxation, bad economic policies, and corruption and yet you expect this businesses to thrive? C'mon let's stop joking and get serious as a country.
Re: Why Are Small Businesses Folding Up In Their First One Year In Nigeria by Toluwanise247(m): 11:02am On Jan 26
Poor electricity
Re: Why Are Small Businesses Folding Up In Their First One Year In Nigeria by thesicilian: 11:44am On Jan 26
Statistics show that a great majority of small businesses tend to fold up in the first two years, and it's not just Nigeria alone, its a global issue
Re: Why Are Small Businesses Folding Up In Their First One Year In Nigeria by Onexmk(m): 3:55pm On Jan 26
poor marketing , of their products and services .thats a major killer of small business start ups in Nigeria

Hard work is insufficient on its own.
You have to work wisely, with dedication, constancy, and focus.
Discover how to take advantage of internet chances.
One of the most affordable ways to improve your financial skills is via affiliate marketing.
No need for start up funds.
The individual that will teach you affiliate marketing and everything else is the only one you need to pay.
Did you know that as you execute all of the lessons from the Affiliate Beginner Course (ABC) step-by-step?
Weekly earning 350k is more than feasible.

+2349136115027

check my signature

(1) (Reply)

FOREX Rates - Dollars; Efforts by CBN To Save The Naira / SEE WHAT THE BIG BOYS AND GIRLS ARE DOING NOW IN 2024 / Home Theater System For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.